Author Topic: John Henry & Liverpool's Evolution From Moneyball to Big-Spending Approach  (Read 68497 times)

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
Re: John W. Henry "Winning in Europe is Bigger"
« Reply #160 on: July 1, 2019, 09:28:12 pm »
Ooook, pilgrim. Get off your horse and drink your milk, Ted.

Sorry, Chops, I see the words fist and ring in the same sentence and I come over all Father Jack...
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #161 on: July 1, 2019, 09:49:42 pm »
If the league is bread and butter then the CL is a scone with clotted cream and jam. 

Cream or jam first?
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #162 on: July 1, 2019, 10:02:33 pm »
If the league is bread and butter then the CL is a scone with clotted cream and jam. 
Superficially satisfying but lacking in substance?  I agree.  ;)
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #163 on: July 1, 2019, 10:15:53 pm »
‘Superficially’?!  Tough crowd.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: July 1, 2019, 10:17:43 pm »
Champions League is the pinnacle of football. It's the greatest moment in any player or managers career at club level. League is a level below.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #165 on: July 1, 2019, 10:18:10 pm »
Superficially satisfying but lacking in substance?  I agree.  ;)

"Grown men were crying and it was the greatest feeling any human being could have to see what we had done," Shankly remembered. "There have been many proud moments. Wonderful, fantastic moments. But that was the greatest day."

Shanks on winning the league in 1964 or winning the FA Cup in 1965?

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #166 on: July 1, 2019, 10:18:45 pm »
Champions League is the pinnacle of football. It's the greatest moment in any player or managers career at club level. League is a level below.

To someone else, the world club championship, by name alone would seem the greater.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #167 on: July 1, 2019, 10:21:05 pm »
"Grown men were crying and it was the greatest feeling any human being could have to see what we had done," Shankly remembered. "There have been many proud moments. Wonderful, fantastic moments. But that was the greatest day."

Shanks on winning the league in 1964 or winning the FA Cup in 1965?

Pretty sure he said that about our 1st FA Cup win.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: July 1, 2019, 10:22:31 pm »
He is wrong.  Winning the league is the bread and butter.  Winning the Champions League is great but it's a knock out competition where anything can happen.  The league is the true measure of a team and the true measure of success.

But, to be fair, I'm only a longtime Liverpool fan.

League is not a true measure of success. Man City and PSG are not close to being the best team in Europe not matter how many times they win their domestic leagues. Likewise, Real Madrid will go down as one of the greatest teams of all time while Barca, despite all their domestic success, will be remembered as the teams that threw away a 3 goal lead two years in a row.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #169 on: July 1, 2019, 10:24:50 pm »
League is not a true measure of success. Man City and PSG are not close to being the best team in Europe not matter how many times they win their domestic leagues. Likewise, Real Madrid will go down as one of the greatest teams of all time while Barca, despite all their domestic success, will be remembered as the teams that threw away a 3 goal lead two years in a row.

Uh..eh..wha...just....wait, what?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline s_andrews89

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #170 on: July 1, 2019, 10:25:51 pm »
The Origi and Ox comments are not innocuous and are certainly made with intention.

Absolutely agree. Henry has always come across, to me, as someone who chooses his words carefully and specifically. Much like Klopp. For him to have specifically named those players (including Lallana) means something. What that something is, we shall see.

I'm confident they and Klopp will bring us the league. It might not be this season coming, but it will happen. 100%.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: July 1, 2019, 10:26:20 pm »
Uh..eh..wha...just....wait, what?

Are you saying that Zidane's Real Madrid won't go down as one of the greatest teams of all time? Are you saying that Valverdes team won't be remembered as a bunch of bottlers that threw away a 3 goal lead back to back in the CL two years in a row?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: July 1, 2019, 10:29:15 pm »

Pretty sure he said that about our 1st FA Cup win.

Correct.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: July 1, 2019, 10:30:47 pm »
Are you saying that Zidane's Real Madrid won't go down as one of the greatest teams of all time? Are you saying that Valverdes team won't be remembered as a bunch of bottlers that threw away a 3 goal lead back to back in the CL two years in a row?

Zidane's Real Madrid were a bunch of aging shithouses in Kiev. They certainly weren't one of the greatest teams of all time.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: July 1, 2019, 10:34:56 pm »
Zidane's Real Madrid were a bunch of aging shithouses in Kiev. They certainly weren't one of the greatest teams of all time.

They can be one of the greatest teams of all time and still be a bunch of shithouses.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #175 on: July 1, 2019, 10:35:35 pm »

I wasn’t but yeah I’ll go with both of those  :wave

I wouldn’t particularly label them bottlers for what happened this season either, think that takes a lot away from ourselves which is quite sad.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: July 1, 2019, 10:38:39 pm »
I wasn’t but yeah I’ll go with both of those  :wave

I wouldn’t particularly label them bottlers for what happened this season either, think that takes a lot away from ourselves which is quite sad.

Yeah it's a bit harsh for the tie against us but that's the narrative out there despite their domestic success. We are a much better team than them and we slapped them all around the pitch over two legs.

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: July 1, 2019, 10:46:12 pm »
That we're not going to spend this summer and that John Henry expects us to utilise what we have.

Is what I infer from bornandbRED's comment.

The opposite actually. I don’t think someone of his acumen would come out and make what sounds like a wet blanket type comment as plainly as this. He’ll realise every time he speaks to the media what he says will be echoed and analysed x100, and so I wouldn’t take this at face value to mean that we’re not going to be active in the market, as some are.

Seems to me like he is reiterating the ‘under promise, over perform’ message that FSG like to transmit.

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #178 on: July 1, 2019, 11:17:43 pm »
John Henry knows that winning the league is bigger. that's why we didn't see him like this with the Big Ears:

Where was the cigar, Boss?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: July 1, 2019, 11:32:26 pm »
However, the Reds owner is confident the European Champions will push on for domestic glory in the season that lies ahead.
To me winning in Europe is bigger than winning in England but I think it’s true the fans want it,” Henry said,

I know we’re going to be focused on winning the Premier League next year.”

It's not wrong that he believes the European Cup is bigger - it's his opinion. And he's not wrong that the fans want the league.

Read the story not the headline.

Edit - and Shankly's 'bread and butter' comment surely means what Henry said. Bread and butter is the boring stuff you do year in, year out. Winning the cups is the important stuff. Winning the FA Cup was massive for Shanks and he'd have given his back teeth to win the European Cup. The league is only special to us now because it's been thirty years since we last won it.

Well said.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: July 2, 2019, 03:24:55 am »
Very glad that we have a great owner. I feel for Newcastle.
Believer

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: July 2, 2019, 09:41:09 am »
I was in the FSG out camp, and though I still have some concerns over their ownership long-term and their ability to inject the squad with money from their own pockets when necessary; I think they have shown that they are going to be cutting edge in terms of hiring the best people for most jobs.
Their greatest achievement has been getting Klopp and for that they get full marks.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline arab88

• BED WETTER
  • Kopite
  • Proud to be a RED!
« Reply #182 on: July 2, 2019, 10:07:47 am »
I totally agree with John.

Trying to argue the opposite is totally OUTSIDE OF THIS WORLD. Ask any supporter of any team in the world, if he would prefer to win the domestic league or the champions league and you'll get your answer (bar Liverpool fans).

The champions league is the ELITE trophy which has the best teams in Europe playing against each other.

It is the trophy that brings far more money and far more glory.

Ask Juve fans who won over 30 domestic league titles and only 2 champions league how many domestic trophies they would trade for a single champions league and you'll have your answer.

Ask PSG fans the same question...City fans...Barca Fans, Bayern Fans, Arsenal Fans, Chelsea Fans....ASK ANYBODY YOU WANT.

Ask the players themselves.

We Liverpool have become obsessed (for obvious reasons) with winning the premierleague, but the Champions League is and will always remain the greatest achievement for any club in Europe. Period.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2019, 10:10:08 am by arab88 »

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #183 on: July 2, 2019, 10:16:22 am »
Nah, disagree with him.

They let anyone into the Champions League these days, in terms of prestige it's somewhere between winning the League Cup and the FA Cup.

The only European trophy ever worth winning was the Cup Winners' Cup.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #184 on: July 2, 2019, 10:23:21 am »
Nah, disagree with him.

They let anyone into the Champions League these days, in terms of prestige it's somewhere between winning the League Cup and the FA Cup.

You don’t actually believe that, right?

Offline arab88

• BED WETTER
  • Kopite
  • Proud to be a RED!
« Reply #185 on: July 2, 2019, 10:25:14 am »

why don't say that winning the League Cup is better than winning the Champions League?

I think I have heard them all really...I sincerely hope you were jocking mate  ;D

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: July 2, 2019, 10:29:54 am »
Nah, disagree with him.

Even better if you win the League Cup in the same season, it's sort of a special double that one.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #187 on: July 2, 2019, 10:31:35 am »
Missed this gem, just before the last one I posted:

Quote from: maccavennie, post: 7099134, member: 20543

Well from a business point of view you would be correct but I was talking from a togger point of view. Its about as important a trophy as the Leyland DAF trophy and holds nowhere near the prestige it should.

That's not to say I wouldn't say no to the European Coca Cola Cup mate, I just think it's a bit of a joke to be honest

I mean, the guy knows that he's getting exposure here and is playing up to the gallery like any good medieval fool, but I do want to see just how an obscure a cup competion he can find to equate the EC with.

I've come to realise there was only one trophy that was worth winning, it mattered because you could only win it by going through two competitions without losing (yeah, I know defeated finalists could qualify).

The cup winners cup, the ultimate.

Everton had to defeat the almighty Bayern Munich to win it, oh, and yeah this lengthy list of challenges

Stoke, Gillingham (3 attempts), Shrewsbury, Notts Co, Southampton, Watford, University College Dublin, Inter Bratislava, Fortuna Sittard, Rapid Vienna

I find the above two posts as suitably compelling arguments in favour of the irrelevance of the European Cup.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: July 2, 2019, 10:33:59 am »
Surely 'Cup Winners Cup' was the giveaway lads
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: July 2, 2019, 10:56:41 am »
John Henry knows that winning the league is bigger. that's why we didn't see him like this with the Big Ears:

Where was the cigar, Boss?

I assume you're joking but I don't think you'd see him like that with the Premier League Trophy either. He's a baseball fan first and foremost.

And besides, the World Series is a best of seven knockout series between the winners of the National League and American League.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: July 2, 2019, 11:09:39 am »
FSG lucked out by signing Klopp. Still haven't spent much money in transfers and looks like it's gonna be a skint transfer window when we should be pushing on for world domination. Shoulda moved to a new stadium but didn't and then didn't even upgrade Anfield enough...New training ground meh...We are fucked when Klopp leaves.

FSG out.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #191 on: July 2, 2019, 11:30:42 am »
I thought this would generate a League v European Cup debate. Simple fact is there isn't one.Liverpools Holy Grail is winning the league it defines us and winning the European Cup is also our Holy Grail it defines us.

There is no comparison or competition between the two ..they are both intertwined in our DNA.

It is also a generation thing...simple fact is those of you under 40 will not know what it will feels like to win the league and its understandable the European Cup looms large in its place..for now...

John Henry is right the European Cup win reverberates more around the world than a domestic title. I saw a City fan ( somewhat hurt by the media reception Liverpool got for winning the CL) say that football fans arund the world would remember City's league win more than our CL.He was wrong. A simple test of this is ask any football fan ( or yourself) around the world how many EC/CL have Real Madrid won...90% plus get it first time...then ask how many Domestic league titles have they won and when was the last time....

We want the league more than anyhthing...and the European Cup...let's reopen this thread next year and do a comparison on how it feels.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2019, 11:32:53 am by FlashingBlade »

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: July 2, 2019, 11:34:23 am »
FSG lucked out by signing Klopp. Still haven't spent much money in transfers and looks like it's gonna be a skint transfer window when we should be pushing on for world domination. Shoulda moved to a new stadium but didn't and then didn't even upgrade Anfield enough...New training ground meh...We are fucked when Klopp leaves.

FSG out.

I hope you're on a wind up.

'Lucked out?...' Of course they did. The management and analytical team that was being assembled before Klopp was brought in was 'lucky' too I suppose. Klopp's appointment was down to the ownership and management and our success is not just because of one man.

It's not going to be a 'skint' transfer window. You say we 'lucked out' with Klopp and then shit all over his preferred way of working. We buy the players we need for the money it takes to get them. Klopp values team coherence and an intense understanding if the way the team works. Just spending money is not his thing. If they think we ned an £80 million player this window they'll buy him. Still, I can see how our recent transfer dealings are a concern and it's obvious that the owners don't want to push on... n“To me winning in Europe is bigger than winning in England but I think it’s true the fans want it,” Henry said,

“I know we’re going to be focused on winning the Premier League next year.”

Why should we have moved to a new stadium? I am still amazed that people still say this when manager after manager and player after player, pundits and opposing fans talk in awe about the power of that ground. But hey, let's fuck just it off and spend a billion pounds on a cheese room.

They upgraded Anfield enough to start with so that we increased income massively without pissing away hundreds of millions on seats that already exist. The next priority was the training ground. Like specialist coaches (the much-derided throw-in coach for example) the training ground should give us those extra incremental advantages that will help us win more titles. Again, you shit all over the kind of thing that means a lot to the manager.

The Anfield Road extension will follow I have no doubt.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #193 on: July 2, 2019, 11:51:36 am »
Nah, disagree with him.

;D

I really want to win the PL, just to get this of our backs. The CL is the big one though, in my opinion. Was so happy when we won it.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: July 2, 2019, 12:01:38 pm »

You have been so whooshed. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
« Reply #195 on: July 2, 2019, 12:01:54 pm »

And besides, the World Series is a best of seven knockout series between the winners of the National League and American League.

So a bit like the Community Shield, then... :D

I am yearning to win the League as much as anybody (I even have my celebratory YouTube video identified) but there's a reason why we remember 1981 (won the European Cup, 5th in the League) and not 1979 (won the League, out in the First Round of the European Cup). I'm as pleased with this season (no, actually more) than if we had won the League and gone out to Barcelona.

Besides, as JWH put it before the CL Final, this year we had unfinished business and I expect next season to be the same - as does he apparently...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ffL2v6B1rME" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ffL2v6B1rME</a>
« Last Edit: July 2, 2019, 12:06:05 pm by Anthony »
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #196 on: July 2, 2019, 12:02:37 pm »
You have been so whooshed. ;D

Well I figured he was taking the piss but you never know sometimes on here  ;D

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: July 2, 2019, 12:07:14 pm »
Well I figured he was taking the piss but you never know sometimes on here  ;D

Only if you're not a regular in the Everton thread. ;)

But yes, we had unfinished business in the CL, and now we have some in the league.  Double next year please!
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: July 2, 2019, 12:08:39 pm »

:lmao
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #199 on: July 2, 2019, 12:22:28 pm »

FSG out.

Why has my username been changed to Penga ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"