Author Topic: Liverpool complete deal for Alex Manninger  (Read 16834 times)

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool complete deal for Alex Manninger
« on: July 22, 2016, 12:11:23 pm »
Liverpool complete deal for Alex Manninger

Liverpool Football Club have today completed the signing of goalkeeper Alex Manninger on a free transfer, subject to international clearance.

The 39-year-old has put pen to paper on a short-term deal with the Reds following his departure from FC Augsburg at the end of last season.

Upon signing his contract with the club in the United States, Manninger told Liverpoolfc.com: "Honestly, it was a surprise. After these years, in Italy and the last four years in Germany, I hadn’t given up, I hadn’t said ‘that’s it’, I still waited for the phone call.

"When Liverpool was on the phone, it was a great pleasure for me to take it on because it gives me what I was looking for. This is the moment I was waiting for until the end.

"I’ve still got something left, for sure, but obviously it’s probably not the time for me to push for the next three or four years to get a place in the goal. Because time says it’s not possible to play 50 games a year. But if I’m called up, I’m definitely there for games, I will play. And I’ll definitely be in the changing room every game, giving my input; I hope, even if it’s only a couple of per cent, it will do the rest."

A former Austria international with 34 caps to his name, Manninger has also represented clubs such as Arsenal, Fiorentina, Udinese and Juventus during his career.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/228619-liverpool-complete-deal-for-alex-manninger

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Re: Liverpool complete deal for Alex Manninger
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 12:12:34 pm »
WOOP?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Moos

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 12:13:55 pm »
Get in ;D ;D ;D

Offline Eliit

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 12:15:39 pm »
Didn't even have a transfer thread for him. Welcome.

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 12:15:40 pm »
Smart deal. Ward gets to go and get football and we've an experienced this choice. Very different to the bogdan deal.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 12:16:27 pm »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 12:18:40 pm »
Saw us put four past him in 1998! :D

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 12:18:45 pm »
The comments on he LFC FB page for this are downright hilarious. People going mental "why have we signed some random ancient guy" blah blah, same with Klavan... I worry about the mentality of the young football fans... not all young mind.

Is it that hard to explain the purpose of an experienced, short term deal for a player? Play only when really necessary, help he younger ones with knowledge and experience in the training ground, bring in an experienced level head at times of need.

It's not rocket science!

WELCOME TO THE BEST CLUB IN THE WORLD, Alex!

PS: How is his lean? #askingtherealquestions

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 12:22:42 pm »
An odd but interesting signing, my guess is it probably spends the end for Mignolet with Karius as the starter.  If not, what is the point of signing Manninger as he won't be getting much game time outside of the League Cup!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 12:22:55 pm »
It is an ideal deal for all parties. We have a player happy to be 3rd choice at a stage of his career when he would not play every game. Our young keepers are actually getting game time to be ready to step into the squad next year. And we have a hugely experienced old head on the training ground. He even speaks German and English well - aiding him in that Kolo style senior pro role.

What's not to like about it?

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 12:23:06 pm »
Should be good with all his experience.

Offline crackerbox

• Yes boys, shorts weather
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up n' about
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 12:23:13 pm »

"I ate his liver with some fava beans...and a nice chianti."
I was in Alder Hay with an abscess on my hip in about 1973 and Bill Shankly never came and played the bongos for me.

http://twitter.com/crackerboxx

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 12:25:09 pm »
Makes complete sense as a signing: experienced cover for Karius and Mignolet that allows us to loan out the likes of Fulton and Ward for much needed experienced.

Welcome to Liverpool, Alex  :scarf

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 12:25:16 pm »
An odd but interesting signing, my guess is it probably spends the end for Mignolet with Karius as the starter.  If not, what is the point of signing Manninger as he won't be getting much game time outside of the League Cup!

It is cover for a keeper injury / suspension. You need 3 keepers ready to play. If a keeper gets a straight red for violent conduct, that is at least 3 games with him on the bench. As all the keepers senior enough to cover are being loaned, we need cover for the year.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 12:25:48 pm »
So our first Estonian is followed by our first Austrian, a good move for us.

Welcome to Liverpool!

Offline PattoLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 12:26:00 pm »
Viewed this similar to the Pelligrino signing under Rafa. Maybe signed with a view to go onto the coaching team while providing some experience to the team in the short term. I could be completely wrong with that though.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 12:26:00 pm »
Welcome to our club.

Is Cat,Lister & Rimmer following? 😬
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 12:26:44 pm »
Surprising signing, but in a way it seems to make sense to me and it's mainly due to off-the-pitch reasons. He has loads of experience, uses to be a very good goalkeeper and speaks German.

I never really understood why Wenger didn't use Manninger as long-term replacement for Seaman... Then again, I think Manninger could have done much more in his career and I'm wondering why he never really managed to stay at a club for a long period of time (except maybe Juve, but he was playing second fiddle to Buffon). Because whenever he was actually playing (especially in Italy) he did pretty well...

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 12:29:31 pm »
Confirms Mings departure i suppose
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 12:29:56 pm »
It is cover for a keeper injury / suspension. You need 3 keepers ready to play. If a keeper gets a straight red for violent conduct, that is at least 3 games with him on the bench. As all the keepers senior enough to cover are being loaned, we need cover for the year.
Yes, fair point I guess, who was the third keeper last year before Danny Ward was recalled from Aberdeen?

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 12:30:07 pm »
So our first Estonian is followed by our first Austrian, a good move for us.

Welcome to Liverpool!

We did sign Besian Idrizaj a couple of years ago, but he didn't play for us in a competitive game I think. Sadly he passed away shortly after leaving Liverpool...

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 12:31:06 pm »
We did sign Besian Idrizaj a couple of years ago, but he didn't play for us in a competitive game I think. Sadly he passed away shortly after leaving Liverpool...

Oh yeah, I remember him, it was tragic how young he was when he died.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 12:32:03 pm »
We should have gone for Higuita ;)

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 12:32:18 pm »

No it doesn't. We need 3 keepers capable of being in the senior squad.  We have 2 keepers competing for the number 1 slot, and Manninger as cover. I would only expect to see him in the League squad in the case of injury / suspension to one of the other keepers.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 12:32:22 pm »
Yes, fair point I guess, who was the third keeper last year before Danny Ward was recalled from Aberdeen?
A new rule was brought out that you can't recall an U21 goalkeeper from a loan to another English club. With Ward likely to go back out on loan (to an English club) we needed a third choice keeper.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 12:32:59 pm »
It is an ideal deal for all parties. We have a player happy to be 3rd choice at a stage of his career when he would not play every game. Our young keepers are actually getting game time to be ready to step into the squad next year. And we have a hugely experienced old head on the training ground. He even speaks German and English well - aiding him in that Kolo style senior pro role.

What's not to like about it?

Yes, that is true. Karius and Mignolet fighting for the starting spot. Manninger providing experienced backup in case of injury/suspension. Ward getting a full season of first team football at Championship level, hopefully coming back next summer ready to take over Mignolet's spot in the pecking order. Bogdan getting a full season of first team football at Championship level, so if he does well, we might even get something for him. Fulton getting a full season of first team football at League One level, hopefully coming back next summer ready to take over Ward's spot in the pecking order.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2016, 12:33:26 pm »
Smart signing. Someone with a wealth of experience playing in Germany, Italy and England winning titles with the likes of Juventus and Arsenal. Last season, we had to resort to recalling Ward from loan at Aberdeen, once it was clear Bogdan wasn't working as back-up. If one of the keepers gets injured or selected, then Manninger will be an ideal deputy on the bench. He'll also add experience to the dressing room and in training.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 12:34:31 pm »
A new rule was brought out that you can't recall an U21 goalkeeper from a loan to another English club. With Ward likely to go back out on loan (to an English club) we needed a third choice keeper.
He's already gone I think but he's 23 so surely wouldn't be covered by that rule?

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 12:34:54 pm »
No, it doesn't.

If we lose either Karius or Mignolet to injury/suspension, Manninger's there to take a place on the bench.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 12:36:38 pm »

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2016, 12:37:03 pm »

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2016, 12:37:30 pm »

:o

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2016, 12:39:44 pm »
Bit of a mad one, but it makes sense given the rule changes (which I was not aware of).

Also, having an experienced German-speaking goalkeeper around will be great for Karius hopefully.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2016, 12:40:44 pm »
He's already gone I think but he's 23 so surely wouldn't be covered by that rule?
Good point, maybe Klopp wants him out for the whole season rather than having to disrupt it if we get an injury or suspension?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2016, 12:47:26 pm »
We'll make the fee back in shirt sales alone.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2016, 12:47:44 pm »
You need 3 keepers, if we were to sell Mignolet we have to go out and buy an actual backup at least, not a guy almost 40 on a 1 year deal.
This is so we have an injury we can have a keeper on the bench, no more, no less.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2016, 12:50:42 pm »
I guess this means Shamal George is moving up front permanently?

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2016, 12:54:25 pm »
Welcome to Liverpool FC Alex Manninger. He will be 3rd choice goal keeper for the season and will bring great experience to help the others aswell as an able backup keeper.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2016, 12:54:57 pm »
Instant legend! Welcome Manninger  8)

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2016, 12:56:39 pm »
Yes! "Good bit of business"

Pep in my step for the rest of the day, the Arsenal sub-keeper from the 90's has signed for my club.