Author Topic: Klopp's Second Season - What constitutes a good 16/17 season in your view?  (Read 124469 times)

Offline thekremlin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • nothing like a nice cup of tea
Top four. I don't see how we can hope for anything less. FA Cup would be nice too. Although, maybe I should say qualifying for the Europa League and not embarrassing ourselves too much against the relegation contenders, if that pleases the more realistic posters amongst us.

We seriously need to get our shit together this season or we're fucked. We will fall even further behind and possibly not even catch the likes of Leicester, Spurs, Southampton, Everton (if they spend their money correctly), West Ham... not to mention the so-called big four.

Any money spent this summer needs to be bang on. No more majorly expensive fuck ups like Benteke and Balotelli.

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
The obsession with 'Top 4' annoys me too.  We should be aiming for the league title.  Nothing less.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
Nowt wrong with aiming for top four or a title challenge. Just don't throw a hissy fit if we can't quite manage to do either, that's all.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
Nowt wrong with aiming for top four or a title challenge. Just don't throw a hissy fit if we can't quite manage to do either, that's all.

That's the problem though.  People will throw a hissy fit when we don't manage to do either. 

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Improvement on last year. The man should be given time to build something here.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Champions League qualification and a title push or something close to it.
I do not care much for the cups and we should focus on our league games and build up some steam soon.
Also I hope he elevates the game of some promising players he didn't yet get a chance to work like Ings and Gomez, while continuing to evolve Origi, Firmino and others.

Offline Halibut-Thumb

• I apologise for my shit user name and piss-poor spelling. You know, my friends and family tell me they are surprised I couldn't think of anything better. Ah well, such is life.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Lesbian ham?
Would be great to win one of the cups but you need luck as much as skill to win those competitions, and with all the major teams rebuilding except a serial choker Arsenal and a post-choke Spurs next season is wide open for us to build on last season. I think it's unrealistic to expect a title challenge, but it's also a possibility with a good start. If we can collect 20+ points from our first 10 matches I think we can do it because our start is very difficult and we have a good mid season to pick up points without European games.

I think top 4 is a reasonable target. Champions League football is important to this club and in the modern era it is essential to "big club status" which we have managed to retain despite some rubbish seasons since Rafa left. A full preseason under Klopp and few decent signings to correct our weaknesses should give us the platform to build form and consistency. Our squad and first XI is underrated by many, if we keep the team fit we are as good as anyone in England.

I think City will be clear favorites by the first match next season with big money deals and Guardiola, but anticipating next season is the most unpredictable it has ever been. So many top sides but no clear elite club is established. Time will tell. I am far more optimistic than most of you lot seem however
In Soviet Russia, fish fingers you.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Title, champions of Europe and the World.

In fairness, I'm split on what to expect. Never mind the results, but in terms of performance, last season Klopp achieved so much with someone else's players that were deemed flops. If he can buy the players he wants, I can only dream... On the other hand, this will really be his first season. So top 4 should be totally doable without any European distraction, but I'd be expecting more.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
What are you expectations for the coming season?

Minimum; in the mix for top 4 til May. Would like to see some new faces get chances in the cups.

What would make it a good season for the club?

Any trophy and Champions League qualification.

Is a trophy realistic? Is top 4 realistic?

Yes and yes. There are, however, a higher number of clubs who can realistically aim for top 4 now than in a long time, and some are bound to miss out.

Will no Europa League be a blessing or a void?

Both. I loved our Europa League run last season, but being out of it may give us the energy to turn some of our defeats into draws and draws into wins.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That's the problem though.  People will throw a hissy fit when we don't manage to do either. 

Yep. Dickheads. It was people with a similar mentality that helped Rafa get the sack. People really need to realise how lucky we are to have Jurgen Klopp.

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd be happy with a back 5 that doesn't give goals away for free, the rest will come after that.

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
If Zielinski and Mane are our only main signings then we'll be lucky to finish top 6.

My expectation is to obtain a Europa league spot. We aren't good enough for top 4 and the players we've been linked with aren't good enough to put us in the top 4.

Unless we get a top class left back and a top class central midfielder we'll be going nowhere fast.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
If Zielinski and Mane are our only main signings then we'll be lucky to finish top 6.

My expectation is to obtain a Europa league spot. We aren't good enough for top 4 and the players we've been linked with aren't good enough to put us in the top 4.

Unless we get a top class left back and a top class central midfielder we'll be going nowhere fast.

They clearly won't be. Matip and Karius are more important signings that we've already made. Dahoud is still being pursued and if Benteke goes there'll be a nice chunk of change to spend, not even on a forward as Origi, Firmino, Sturridge are already great options for that position. Ings too.

Lot of negativity around it seems but i don't know, to me our squad is shaping up very nicely.

Top four next year is what we want but it's not a minimum requirement for me. Will need to be judged in context at the end of the season.
that said we should, and will be going to win it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:21:56 pm by BER »

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
The obsession with 'Top 4' annoys me too.  We should be aiming for the league title.  Nothing less.

nothing wrong with setting realistic targets. a challenge for the title is not happening.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So finishing 5th and below is acceptable for a club like Liverpool?  I don't see what is wrong with his post.

Or have we accepted mediocrity now?  Man City's owners won't accept not winning the league yet we're happy with midtable?

What has happened to our fanbase?!  :butt

Good job we sacked Shanks in the 69/70 season then, wasn't it. I mean it obviously wasn't working. :lmao
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So finishing 5th and below is acceptable for a club like Liverpool?  I don't see what is wrong with his post.

Or have we accepted mediocrity now?  Man City's owners won't accept not winning the league yet we're happy with midtable?

What has happened to our fanbase?!   :butt

It's all about making progress. We finished 8th last season without a trophy. If we give it a good push for 4th, but just miss out. Are you saying Jurgen Klopp's job as manager should be questioned? Because that is what he is saying. That's why I called him a whopper.

You know, there are a lot of good squads(some better than ours) with some great managers and with plenty of money to spend who are all going to be battling very hard to finish in the top four next season. So it's not going to be easy. That's why we've got to be patient. Not throwing a hissy fit if we just miss out and demanding those that are in management positions are brought into question. There is nothing wrong with aiming for the top and hoping/believing as fans we can make top four or challenge for the title. Just don't get on the managers back if we don't quite get there this season. Let him be. Give him time and he will build us something great here.

As for Man City owners not accepting them not winning the league, that might be something to do with the amount of money they plough into the club in transfers and players wages.

By the way, is that what you'd want? Liverpool football club to be chopping and changing managers every season, or every two seasons, just because they might of missed out on winning the title? Or just because they haven't met your high standards. Because I fucking wouldn't.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:28:08 am by Hemorrhaging Tony Giamatti »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good job we sacked Shanks in the 69/70 season then, wasn't it. I mean it obviously wasn't working. :lmao

Like he said, what has happened to our fan base?

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
I'm going to try and respond to this question as openly and honestly as possible, without trying to revert to the "head in the clouds" vs "not enough ambition for Liverpool" circular argument that seems to infect any discussion of the future here.

In the spirit of honesty, I may as well confess that I am a tireless optimist. I will always look for the best in any transfer, try to defend players or managers where possible, and generally try to avoid the doom and gloom that engulfs a fair number of people. However, I would say that I am far from being a blue-sky idealist. I remember, distinctly, bashing my head against the keyboard when I heard we'd bid Ł35m for Andy Carroll. I never liked Hodgson. I also was open-mouthed with disbelief when a friend of mine told me we had "the strongest squad for a while" going into the 2010-2011 season. But I digress.

If you look at our record since Klopp took over, we've been pretty good. Take out the fact that we threw the last couple of games by playing the kids, ad take away the three reverses of 2-0 leads and we'd have been challenging for second. Since the turn of the year we've scored a very impressive number of goals, and we've seen transformations in a number of players - principally, Lovren and Origi. Quite apart from that, we showed we were more than capable of holding our own against the likes of Dortmund, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, Villareal, Man United, Tottenham and Arsenal. At one point or another we outplayed all of those teams, and it's no coincidence to say that the vast majority of those performances came as Klopp was beginning to exert his influence over the squad.

No, as we go into the next season, we already have a number of reasons to be excited. We have already signed one of the 3 best goalkeepers and one of the three best defenders in the Bundesliga last year. We have our captain returning from injury, and if his performance against Slovakia in the Euros is anything to go by, he'll be just fine at the heart of our midfield (so lon as he takes no free kicks or corners). We have an absolute gem in Emre Can who will keep getting better. We're a few more "aggressive negotiations" away from one of the best young midfielders in the Bundesliga. We are about to sign a 1-in-3 wide player for under Ł30m. We have a star in the making in Origi, the second best striker in the league in Sturridge, Firmino entering his second season having shown more than enough from his first.

Now, topping all of that we have possibly the best coach in world football and only one thing to focus on. Don't get me wrong; Liverpool F.C. belong in Europe, but this season we need a trimmed squad so Klopp can focus on what he wants and needs. My hope is that we will win the thing, because it's just going to get harder after this.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Top four and a trophy would be a good season. It's impossible to be fully fired up for every league game, as some are clearly bigger than others, but with the extra training and preparation I'm sure that's what Klopp will be aiming for. Every game like a final.

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

What has happened to our fanbase?!   :butt
The whopper quote should be reserved for you.

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
Disappointed we did not achieve Europa league qualification as I enjoyed the cup run last season - would love to have had a chance to win it this year and put the final disappointed behind us.

For this season, us and Chelsea don't have European distractions so I think we should certainly be looking at competing with Chelsea.

A good season would be top four and winning a cup.

Online LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
I want us to use the lack of european football to our advantage because lets face it United,Arsenal, City and Chelsea are all going to have much better squads than us and we just can't compete with them in signing players like Xhaka and Mkhitiryan etc

Top 4 is the minimum for me

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
The optimist in me says:

If Leicester can win it then there is no reason why Liverpool can't.

In reality, we have plugged some gaps with the addition of Karius and presumably a pacy wide player in Mane. I think we'll probably finish 5th or 6th and reach the final in a domestic cup.

If we buy a top class centre mid I would probably revise our league position slightly higher. At this stage I'm expecting the same season we've had for the last 7 years barring our title run, flashes of promise but dogged by inconsistency.

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
The whopper quote should be reserved for you.

Because I am not content with finishing 8th?  What are we, Everton?

Some of you are misinterpreting my earlier post.  Klopp needs to be given a minimum of 5 years to build something in my opinion.  No way should we sack one of the best managers in the world!

I just want us to be aiming higher than we have been but I am sure Jurgen is doing so behind the scenes.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
Top 4 and a cup win. Winning does so much for confidence and we're on a shit barren run. Feeling positive because I've seen glimpses of some return to a positive mentality under Klopp.

Offline El Festino

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
Title challenge.
Top 4 min.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
Domestic treble! Or at least the league title
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Online Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
Actually, I would argue this is his FIRST season, not his second.

Last year was a freebie for me - one of the upsides of coming in when a season is in progress. He had to deal with what he had and arguably done pretty well considering he'd not had the chance to fully implement his stamp on the side with a full pre-season. that said, his philosophy became more and more apparent as the season went on so in effect he's had a very long pre-season to get players used to his ways. This will be a continuation of that imho.

That said, we've no excuses for not pushing for the league. On our day, no-one can live with us. No-one. We've shown that and with Jurgen now a lot more aware of the league and what it entails, I think we're in for a ride an half. So for me, I would expect top three minimum with an aim to win it.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
nothing wrong with setting realistic targets. a challenge for the title is not happening.
Why do you say that? We'll probably be playing 10 games less than most of the teams that finished above us. didn't we also score most goals from Christmas and have strengthened our  defence. After Leicester a title challenge is not too much to ask of a team squad that should mainly be fresher than most of it's rivals for much of the season.

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Liverpool are far and away the best team in the league who are only playing 1 game a week next season. If we miss out on Champions League qualification then serious questions will be asked. Top 4 and a good go at the cups a minimum requirement.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool are far and away the best team in the league who are only playing 1 game a week next season. If we miss out on Champions League qualification then serious questions will be asked. Top 4 and a good go at the cups a minimum requirement.

Aren't chelsea in the same boat ?

If so i wouldn't say we're far and away the best at all

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Aren't chelsea in the same boat ?

If so i wouldn't say we're far and away the best at all

Forgot about that lot!

Alright then one of the two best teams only playing once a week but the point still stands. No excuses for another 6/7/8 place finish.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
In regards to today`s news I think this is how you progress as a football team. You address what you lack in order to achieve balance.

You can clamour for the big names all you want but at the end of the day it`s about getting the right player. Spurs last season didn`t improve because they signed big names who automatically became their best players but because they addressed exactly what they lacked in their team and signed right profiles.

Mane practically enables Klopp to fully implement his system and formation. If the idea is to win the ball in the opposition half via geggenpressing then you need to have people who can take advantage of that as quickly as possible - it`s something we didn`t exactly have last season. There`s no point busting your gut to win the ball back if you can`t then hurt teams as quickly as you would like; and regarding formation if you want to go with a lone striker then it`s gonna work better if you have a wide player with striker instincts rather than 3 AMs who`d all rather drop deeper and play in front of the defence.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
I am much more comfortable with point totals than position... so 70 points. means at the very least we did well against the teams we are supposed to be beating.

That and good cup runs. Klopp seems to have a knack at getting his teams to cup finals.

Offline KOP1975

• Feb 5: “Hurt the pockets of the club not the team on the pitch as the team needs all the help it can get right now.” Feb 7: “i never want to see Sakho-shit ever play for us again. He needs to be binned big time.” <— 'Helping' the team....?
  • Anny Roader
League - aim for first and if we finish up to 3 places below its a success. 5th isnt.
Cups - try to win both but you can lose cup games during a bad 10 minutes spell so they can go either way.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Total & Absolute World Domination.

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
Top four and a trophy or its another failed season.

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
We are ahead of chelsea in my opinion. Sure they have a great manager, and a decent squad but they are in transition. Conte wont get his style employed by the start of the season. Theyll have to go through the 0-0 against palace at home, and 1-0's away to sunderland before they challenge for the title. I could be chatting shite though, ranieri won the league in his first season, so did pelegrini.
Seen us win everything

Offline hzsa

• Kemlynite
  • SARAJEVO!
I'd be happy with 3rd place, anything more is bonus, anything less is expected.
Sarajevo, Horde, Bog i Čaršija !