Author Topic: James Milner - El Burro Magnifico  (Read 577797 times)

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: James Milner - The man who's involved in lots of the goal things
« Reply #840 on: May 24, 2017, 06:55:42 am »
Christ some people on here would have you believe he was the reason we didn't win the league.

He was superb this season. He has his limitations but all players do. We should be raving about his season, not clamouring for his replacement.
Well it could be argued he was a factor in our team not being strong enough to win the league and raving about a superb season? You certainly have a different outlook on football to me. He was solid, professional and dependable, nothing more and nothing less.

Mane and Coutinho had superb seasons.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: May 24, 2017, 07:07:23 am »

You certainly have a different outlook on football to me.

I know you're implying that you have higher standards for Liverpool footballers than me. Whatever, fair enough.

But I know from my experience watching Liverpool over the years how difficult finding a dependable full back can be.

In light of that, and adding in his penalties, he's been superb.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #842 on: May 24, 2017, 07:10:10 am »
Not necessarily implying that, because I believe keeping him in the squad and having him playing absolutely isn't a bad thing. I just don't think he's been superb that's all.

I mean I'd look decent if I was the predecessor to Alberto Moreno.

Like someone has already said, first half of the season he was very good and then he drifted towards average James.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: May 24, 2017, 07:22:01 am »
I know you're implying that you have higher standards for Liverpool footballers than me. Whatever, fair enough.

But I know from my experience watching Liverpool over the years how difficult finding a dependable full back can be.

In light of that, and adding in his penalties, he's been superb.

He's done a decent job, more than decent considering he's not a left back but his performances dropped second half of the season. The amount of times he receives the ball in space at left back and tries to play a ball down the wing (right footed) that ends up curling straight out I've lost count, it breaks moves down.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #844 on: May 24, 2017, 07:23:04 am »
Id say Milner has had a good season in general considering that he's playing in a position, pretty much alien to him.  Having said that, I think we need to bring in proper competition for him and upgrade if possible, although I don't think that's as easy as some think.

Offline YoungKopite

• Anny Roader
« Reply #845 on: May 25, 2017, 04:13:33 pm »
I've really grown to like Milner this season. He's been a brilliant professional throughout the season, and has saved us quite a few times with his penalties. He's a winner, and I hope he can keep his form up next season. I'm really glad we have him in our side.

Offline Windom Earle

• Main Stander
« Reply #846 on: May 25, 2017, 04:49:53 pm »
My first post here, hello everyone.

I've read this thread on and off a lot over the last few weeks.  Let me put some of you straight, in the nicest possible way.  Players like Milner don't come along every day.  He's the ultimate professional.  He's Mr. Reliable.  You can't have a squad of Coutinho's, football doesn't work like that.

James should be one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Offline Suedehead

• Smooth operator.......
  • Main Stander
  • Respectful MUFC fan // Long-time lurker
« Reply #847 on: May 25, 2017, 04:53:03 pm »
I love a left-footed left-back. Getting on the overlap and whipping in first-time crosses. Have a similar situation at United where Darmian is solid enough (played very well last night) but hampers us in an attacking sense. Think Milner/Darmian are great cover for both full-back positions but shouldn't be first choice in either.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: May 25, 2017, 04:58:45 pm »
My thoughts on Milner as an LB.

The experiment has worked well against teams who attack us, but one of the reasons we have been so ineffective against parked buses is Milner, who is so rightfooted, his default position of receiving a ball is while facing the opposite stand. Then he either gives a straight pass to Gini (or whoever is closest) or takes an age to turn and shift the ball to his right foot so that he can either cross or overlap.

It has quickly become my biggest pet peeve for this team. In fact, in my honest opinion, a signing like Mendy is the most important one we need to make us a team that can open packed defenses.

We need better.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #849 on: May 25, 2017, 07:27:04 pm »
There's more to being a full back than crossing though. Your body shape is the complete opposite when making the same pass or tackle on the other side.

Some players it doesn't effect, some it does.
Sure, but Milner has played RB before! Quite a few times for City. And more often than not, had a very strong impact going forwards. Like the 3-2 game against City.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #850 on: May 25, 2017, 08:13:24 pm »

I've read this thread on and off a lot over the last few weeks.  Let me put some of you straight, in the nicest possible way.  Players like Milner don't come along every day.  He's the ultimate professional.  He's Mr. Reliable.  You can't have a squad of Coutinho's, football doesn't work like that.

but only at full back now, I don't want him being the first name on the team sheet in midfield.  That's maybe one of the reasons he was seen as an option for that role last season, cos it was a way of keeping a hugely experienced player in the team.

He's a great pro for sure though, fantastic role model, with a work ethic second to none.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: May 25, 2017, 08:48:37 pm »
but only at full back now, I don't want him being the first name on the team sheet in midfield.  That's maybe one of the reasons he was seen as an option for that role last season, cos it was a way of keeping a hugely experienced player in the team.

He's a great pro for sure though, fantastic role model, with a work ethic second to none.

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm happy enough for Milner to remain first choice left back provided we bring in competition who can challenge him and hopefully eventually take over after a season or two (ie Sessegnon) as I think he had a really good season last year and always gives 100%. Not a world beater, but good enough and seems like a thoroughly decent bloke.

It's nice to have a reliable penalty taker too - I think that's a seriously underrated attribute and he's saved us several times this season.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: May 25, 2017, 11:02:10 pm »

He's professional and reliable as is Lucas, as was Carra Gerrard Hyypia Gary Mac you could go on and on players we have had like that.

Season just gone yes one of the first names on the team sheet when we didn't have better but we have the chance now to improve and next season that's what we need to do.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #853 on: May 26, 2017, 10:17:37 am »
Sure, but Milner has played RB before! Quite a few times for City. And more often than not, had a very strong impact going forwards. Like the 3-2 game against City.

He was playing right mid in that game, not right back. I don't remember him playing right back very often at all to be honest, not sure where this has come from. The reason Klopp plays him left back is a) because we're short there/he lost faith in Moreno so it was an obvious way to get him into the team and b) it opens up better passing angles for him.

We do need a more dynamic option for the left flank who can hit first time crosses better - and if it was Sessegnon, for example, provide more of a goal threat from open play as a big bonus - but people really shouldn't underestimate what a plus it was at times for us to have a midfielder playing left back coming inside onto his strongest foot. It added another dimension to our game when our first choice front four were playing and moving well.

Stick Milner on the right and he might produce a better cross on the overlap but otherwise, like Clyne, he'll look more limited because he doesn't have the quick feet, left foot or dribbling qualities to buy him time on the ball.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:20:34 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #854 on: May 26, 2017, 01:03:25 pm »
Milner did a great job at left back as far as he could. But his different abilities and his woeful left foot meant that so damn many attacks broke down when he adjusted himself to get on his right, or when he put in a poor ball with his left.

Great squad player but get him away from left back for the sake of the team.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #855 on: May 26, 2017, 01:09:14 pm »
Towards the end of the seasonHe couldn't put in a decent cross with his right foot.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #856 on: May 26, 2017, 01:11:46 pm »
Towards the end of the seasonHe couldn't put in a decent cross with his right foot.

That's because he was on the left flank, so whipped the ball in with curl toward the keeper -easy catch
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Antoine Lavoisier

• Anny Roader
  • the torchlight red on sweaty faces
« Reply #857 on: May 26, 2017, 06:37:53 pm »
He's absolutely fantastic, love the lad.
And in short, I was afraid

Offline Ken Doral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #858 on: May 26, 2017, 07:35:00 pm »
Many championship squads have players like Milner, he's just not the unquestioned first choice at a position for the entire year. And that's fine.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: May 26, 2017, 09:10:13 pm »
James has been excellent for us this season.  I'd say any shortcomings he had were through over exposure due to our squad being a bit thin on quality.  He was a squad stand out; in a superior side I think most people would have said he excelled and put in elevated performances.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #860 on: May 26, 2017, 09:36:09 pm »
Many championship squads have players like Milner
As in title winning or the Championship?

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #861 on: May 26, 2017, 10:58:12 pm »
As in title winning or the Championship?

Well he did play for Newcastle.  A title winning championship team.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: May 26, 2017, 11:45:45 pm »
I just think Milner could be so much more valuable to us as a utility. He's was good enough playing LB, really good in the 1st half and serviceable in the 2nd so even in a Champions League campaign I think he can do the job for us there. But if we were to bring in a proper LB he could ensure we never have to field bad players or a kid in a game too big for them.

If you've got Milner on the bench that's cover for LB, RB, CM, RW & LW in one player. And if you've got a decent LB in the squad even if Milner is starting then you can always shift him to one of those positions in game. I really don't want to have him bogged down at LB all season without options to free him up beyond a 17 y.o.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #863 on: May 27, 2017, 02:35:27 am »
I just think Milner could be so much more valuable to us as a utility. He's was good enough playing LB, really good in the 1st half and serviceable in the 2nd so even in a Champions League campaign I think he can do the job for us there. But if we were to bring in a proper LB he could ensure we never have to field bad players or a kid in a game too big for them.

If you've got Milner on the bench that's cover for LB, RB, CM, RW & LW in one player. And if you've got a decent LB in the squad even if Milner is starting then you can always shift him to one of those positions in game. I really don't want to have him bogged down at LB all season without options to free him up beyond a 17 y.o.

Milners the all green position player in football manager

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #864 on: May 29, 2017, 11:44:14 am »

It seems that Klopp wants him on the left again next season, but with a decent alternative.

But I wonder if it is a given that Milner wants to play there again? He came to us with Rodgers promising a midfield position. He was a free transfer coming from an ambitious club and chose us because of what he was promised.

Does anyone think there is a possibility that he may want to move on to get his opportunity to play in midfield?

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Tommy Torres

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: May 29, 2017, 12:04:25 pm »
He's not a left back. He did a job, is a great professional and all that bollocks but he isn't a left back. His best position is midfield. Whether he would be first choice is doubtful but would certainly get opportunities for starts throughout the season, and then it's down to him to make himself undroppable.
There's only one Sergio Torres

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: May 29, 2017, 11:26:36 pm »
Thought he was one of the more consistent stronger performers of the squad. Constant 7/10s. Not really complaining if hes yer full back.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline nellyp

• hant. All Hail the old new Baldrick!!!
  • Anny Roader
  • Life's not black and white, it's red and white
« Reply #867 on: May 30, 2017, 10:11:34 am »
He has done well this season, and should remain. As stated he can cover a variety of positions and will give everything in them. I think he will stay at Leftback, and I don't think he will have much look in with midfield unless Klopp decides to give up guile for fight in a game or 2.
In a world of uncertainty and worry, it is calming to know that as a fan of the greatest club in the world I will never walk alone

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #868 on: May 30, 2017, 10:20:09 am »
Thought he was one of the more consistent stronger performers of the squad. Constant 7/10s. Not really complaining if hes yer full back.

See I didn't think he was consistent at all - thought he had a really poor second half of the season on the ball to the point it adversely affected us as a team
Fair play to him he adapted to playing off the ball as a left back ridiculously quickly and defended really well most of the year.
He's a limiter on our team going forward though and I hope he's not an automatic choice next season - especially against the lesser teams

Offline Windom Earle

• Main Stander
« Reply #869 on: July 4, 2017, 12:46:09 pm »
One of the best left backs in the league on his day.  I don't get the hate for him?

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: July 4, 2017, 04:35:52 pm »
One of the best left backs in the league on his day.  I don't get the hate for him?
Because he isn't left footed. Chelsea won the title with Azpilicueta at LB a few years ago though, so it's possible.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #871 on: July 4, 2017, 04:42:07 pm »
I don't think it's about competition as such. He was superb for the first half of the season, and then performances tailed off slightly (in line with the rest of our players) and then I thought he deteriorated further and was one of our poorer players come the end of the season. But I think that's just because he was absolutely knackered.

He played 36 games last season and could have benefited from a break as much as anyone.

More than happy to see him start the season at LB as long as we have a backup Klopp is prepared to play and throw into big games if necessary - that's clearly not Moreno.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #872 on: July 4, 2017, 04:43:07 pm »
Because he isn't left footed. Chelsea won the title with Azpilicueta at LB a few years ago though, so it's possible.

Azpilicueta has played that position most of his career, hasn't he? He's pretty much a full-back by trade. Milner isn't, and as the season went on it started to show.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #873 on: July 4, 2017, 10:27:14 pm »
See I didn't think he was consistent at all - thought he had a really poor second half of the season on the ball to the point it adversely affected us as a team
Fair play to him he adapted to playing off the ball as a left back ridiculously quickly and defended really well most of the year.
He's a limiter on our team going forward though and I hope he's not an automatic choice next season - especially against the lesser teams

He was dependable and I would say he was better than most left backs in the Premiere League, I think the Top 10 left backs in the league today. He didn't give Sterling a look-in for the 2 matches against Man City.

He tire towards the end of the season and that was to be expected for someone who played almost every match. Look, the guy on the either wing, Clyne, tire even more after starting all league games like Milner.

It wasn't ideal for him to be our first choice left back although I thought he did play in that position for Leeds Utd. Still, the extra second he took to cut back to the right foot to cross the ball was more potent than Moreno's left foot.

He wasn't the most athletic or naturally gifted but he has the guile, the intelligence to play almost anywhere, rarely gets injured and always dependable. Not the most exciting footballer I admit but we are damn lucky to have him.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #874 on: August 5, 2017, 07:13:50 pm »
Was on the pitch in the 1st half against Bilbao and didn't take the penalty.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: August 5, 2017, 07:16:24 pm »

And? Firmino won it, he probably wanted to take it. I didn't see any complaints from Milner.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #876 on: August 5, 2017, 07:33:22 pm »

Milner won't be playing every game so surely it makes sense for another player to take penalties as well. The more options we have the better.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #877 on: August 5, 2017, 07:38:06 pm »
Just seen an interview with Milner, he apparently asked Bobby whether he wanted to take one, obviously he was.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: August 5, 2017, 07:38:36 pm »
It makes perfect sense Firmino to take penalties. He will start probably 80% of the games,and he's pretty good taking them. Milner's position isn't defined yet for the next season. He will probably fill the gaps whenever is needed.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: August 5, 2017, 07:39:54 pm »
Milner on Firmino taking penalty: We all practice them, I'm confident when he takes them too. All that matters is the ball goes in the net.