Author Topic: Gordon Banks England’s No 1 has died.  (Read 4308 times)

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gordon Banks England’s No 1 has died.
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2019, 09:43:58 am »
That is more about Everton’s jealousy than Banks.
Wiggo trying to be controversial

Oh shit, didn't even realise he was an Evertonian taking the piss. It didn't even cross my mind that someone would use his death to get a cheap dig in at another club.

Will remove my post.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2019, 03:34:28 pm »
just had to read up a bit there on it

the tradition of the kop applauding the opposition keeper started with him apparently and i recall on a stadium tour it was said possibly the first time it happened was with him and it turned out to be the last game before he was injured in a car crash which pretty much ended his career.

1972-3, we beat stoke 2-1 with Ian Callaghan scoring in the last minute, (Emlyn Hughes got the other). Apparently the car crash was the day after the game.

https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/698

I wasn't at that match but I remember it. I also remember playing around in the garden when my parents told me Banks was in a bad car crash. I was only a kid, but I remember feeling pretty bad about it. Banks was held in such high esteem at Anfield.

Definitely one of the footballing greats.

RIP Gordon.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2019, 11:41:51 pm »
just had to read up a bit there on it

the tradition of the kop applauding the opposition keeper started with him apparently and i recall on a stadium tour it was said possibly the first time it happened was with him and it turned out to be the last game before he was injured in a car crash which pretty much ended his career.

1972-3, we beat stoke 2-1 with Ian Callaghan scoring in the last minute, (Emlyn Hughes got the other). Apparently the car crash was the day after the game.

https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/698

Not sure if I've interpreted that bit of what you say correctly about the tour guides saying the applause for opposition goalies starting after that 1972/3 game against Stoke but the Kop's applause for Banksie did actually start the best part of a decade before that when he used to defy us game after game for Leicester. Forgive the pedantry but I guess it does kind of matter to those of us who were part of it and loved the guy so much and used to show it so fervently.

:)