Author Topic: La Liga game to be played in America  (Read 10446 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: La Liga game to be played in America
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2018, 07:06:08 pm »
That 19th vs 20th will be a real draw!

"the only stakes are final league position"

So just the only stake that matters :P
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2018, 07:33:15 pm »
Fuck- can't believe I got that wrong! Been a while since LFC were in the League Cup semi-finals!

Clearly suggestions of a friendly tournament are probably the best, and that could be a good way to lay the groundwork.

For the record- I am 100% against playing any league games abroad. But if it is a mandatory eventuality, and that is a big if, then what I said earlier is probably the fairest:

Play 38 game season- and then at the end play a 39th round of 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th etc all the way to 19th vs 20th. And maybe not even 3pts for a win- could be a single point for a win, and zero points for a loss OR DRAW. And maybe even any goals scored and conceded don't even count towards goal difference, you keep the goal difference you finished on after 38 games.

I challenge anybody to come up with a fairer solution than that (for league games).

Most of the games outcomes will not matter. Other than 1st, 4th and 17th the only stakes are final league position prize money.

The fairer solution is to play 38 games, home and away, against other teams in the league at their appointed stadiums.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2018, 08:56:29 pm »
A fairer solution would not to be playing the games.

Be funny though - I'd imagine the Premier League would die overnight.
That 19th vs 20th will be a real draw!

"the only stakes are final league position"

So just the only stake that matters [emoji14]
The fairer solution is to play 38 games, home and away, against other teams in the league at their appointed stadiums.
Absolutely. No 39th game. No game abroad. That is what should continue to happen.

But my question was essentially:  is there a fairer solution to a mandatory 39th game abroad?

I am waiting for a better answer, and if I don't get it I am sending that solution to the Premier League as RAWK approved!

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2018, 09:10:48 pm »
Absolutely. No 39th game. No game abroad. That is what should continue to happen.

But my question was essentially:  is there a fairer solution to a mandatory 39th game abroad?

I am waiting for a better answer, and if I don't get it I am sending that solution to the Premier League as RAWK approved!

Your idea doesn't make much sense. The better you do the harder final game of the season you have. For example, if the top 4 were Man City 88 points Liverpool 88 points, Chelsea 87 points and Man United 64 points, your system would enable Chelsea to win the League by beating United if City and Liverpool draw. Hardly fair. A fairer way would be for 1 v 20, 2 v 19 etc. That way your good play is rewarded instead of punished and it would have the least impact on the final League positions. Ultimately any system with a 39th game is going to be stupid and flawed, but I think you found the stupidest way to do it.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2018, 01:23:29 am »
Your idea doesn't make much sense. The better you do the harder final game of the season you have. For example, if the top 4 were Man City 88 points Liverpool 88 points, Chelsea 87 points and Man United 64 points, your system would enable Chelsea to win the League by beating United if City and Liverpool draw. Hardly fair. A fairer way would be for 1 v 20, 2 v 19 etc. That way your good play is rewarded instead of punished and it would have the least impact on the final League positions. Ultimately any system with a 39th game is going to be stupid and flawed, but I think you found the stupidest way to do it.

I will give you that. If the point is to completely minimise the impact of the 39th game, then that would be a fairer way.

The lack of el classicos might push it to not even being financially viable though. And with every game being a dead rubber, it would be  reserve squads. And thus the likes of ICC  would still be better.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2018, 03:59:15 am »
I will give you that. If the point is to completely minimise the impact of the 39th game, then that would be a fairer way.

The lack of el classicos might push it to not even being financially viable though. And with every game being a dead rubber, it would be  reserve squads. And thus the likes of ICC  would still be better.

The alternative is that the prize money for pre season tournaments starts to hit the point where teams have to play to win them. The Premier League might even push for that, a knock out cup for the top eight, with a few hundred million pounds to the clubs, and it could become too important to put the kids in. Terrible for other reasons, but I can see it happening.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2018, 06:48:55 am »
Bollocks this. Fuck off. If they want to play the El Clasico in America, then play a friendly in full strength starting eleven, I'm sure it won't be so friendly. People will see their heroes, bunch of c*nts will earn lots of money, and everyone's happy.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2018, 02:40:15 pm »
Has to jump through a load of hoops, including Concacaf. Let's hope the idea is strangled at birth.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/spains-la-liga-sparks-controversy-with-plan-to-play-regular-season-game-in-us-9drks0xqr

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2018, 04:06:56 pm »
Has to jump through a load of hoops, including Concacaf. Let's hope the idea is strangled at birth.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/spains-la-liga-sparks-controversy-with-plan-to-play-regular-season-game-in-us-9drks0xqr

Good, I don't think the MLS will want to see a larger, more successful league from abroad having even more influence in the US as they are trying to develop and grow   themselves.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2018, 04:16:58 pm »
Good, I don't think the MLS will want to see a larger, more successful league from abroad having even more influence in the US as they are trying to develop and grow   themselves.

Money talks though.

Spread some money to Concacaf.

USA v Spain friendlies to appease the USSF.

MLS get  some lesser Spanish players on the cheap.

Loads of ways to grease the pole..
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline dptlfc83

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2018, 09:55:27 pm »
He's definitely pyroparty isn't he? Fully expecting him to post 'two shite sides' in the Spurs thread during their next match.  ;D

As for the thread itself, fuck that. Is La Liga not big enough already, do they not have enough people already watching Barcelona and Real Madrid? Football is already huge in the United States as well, and is getting bigger by the year. Why they feel that they have to promote it more than it's already being promoted is beyond me.

Can people stop calling me pyroparty. Im dptlfc83, I've no idea who pyroparty is. Stop trying to look clever guessing who I am. You're wrong as I've never been on here before. Is this how you treat all newcomers?

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2018, 10:30:00 pm »
Im dptlfc83, I've no idea who pyroparty is.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2018, 10:35:00 pm »
They ought to focus on attracting more fans in their own country first, just over 52,000 at the Barcelona match.
AHA!

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2018, 11:26:39 am »
They ought to focus on attracting more fans in their own country first, just over 52,000 at the Barcelona match.

This is not uncommon at Barcelona matches actually.  They really only show up for the matches against the top teams.  It’s why it’s so easy to get tickets to their matches.  Shit, I went to the Atletico/Barcelona match a few years ago when they were 1st/2nd in the league and only a couple of points separated them and there were still empty seats in the stadium. 

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2018, 11:58:03 am »
you do know about the massive unemployment rate there (16% overall, 30%+ for youths), like with us in the 80s not selling out regularly massive unemployment means people’s priorities lie elsewhere

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2018, 08:50:58 am »
Sounds like the players aren't happy about it at all. Hopefully the whole idea ends up going nowhere and the match isn't played.

Footballers in Spain have not ruled out strike action over a plan to stage a top-flight league match in the United States, says the players' union.

Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos and Barcelona vice-captain Sergio Busquets were among the high-profile players to attend a meeting on Wednesday to discuss their "concern" over the issue.

La Liga agreed a 15-year deal with US media company Relevent on Friday.

The players' union - the AFE - says its members were not consulted by La Liga.

Players from all of the La Liga sides met in Madrid on Wednesday to discuss the issue with AFE president David Aganzo.

Among those in attendance were Ramos and Real Madrid team-mate Nacho, Barcelona duo Busquets and Sergi Roberto, Leo Baptistao from Espanyol, Bruno from Villarreal, and Atletico Madrid players Koke and Juanfran.

Aganzo said: "The problem is the lack of common sense, a schedule where only the export of soccer benefits - nobody counts on the fans.

"We need to fix it with the bosses. The captains are outraged, they're against it, they are unanimous.

"It does not make sense. We are talking about an agreement that has a validity of 15 years without consulting the players."

On the possibility of strike action, he added: "We will try not to reach that extreme but we are willing to go to the end if necessary."

Aganzo said the players would meet again in September.

Asked last week when the US-based match would take place, and whether it would be a regular fixture, La Liga told BBC Sport it "cannot confirm the teams, match, date or season".

The AFE said players "do not understand the unilateral decisions", adding: "La Liga is distancing the fans of the players, something that harms the show and the essence of football."

After the meeting the league said in a statement: "La Liga will meet with AFE in the appropriate forum to discuss the plans to play a match outside of Spain."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45269974

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2018, 09:05:01 am »
Good to see. Fucking abysmal idea.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2018, 10:04:14 am »
Aye glad they are doing it. Stuff like this needs knocking on the head before the higher ups get a chance to ruin football. These are football clubs not American franchises that can be bought and fucked off to another city. Been over there and watched Barca, seville and bilbao all at their home games and why the fuck anyone would want to see a team play anywhere than their home ground is beyond me.   

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2018, 03:51:59 pm »
First off, it isn't fans of footy in the USA kicking up a stink that there should be a League match played in the USA from La Liga or the Premier League. So don't blame Americans or ex-pats.

This is La Liga doing this in conjuction with Relevent Sports.

It's a 15 year agreement. 50/50 split between La Liga and Relevent.

It is also about TV broadcast rights in the USA to be negotiated for La Liga.

It is also about soccer camps. Coaches from Spain getting jobs in the USA and clinics put on.

There is more to it than the one League match per season to be played in the USA.

I heard Charlie Stillitano interviewed on the radio and he outlined all the above. La Liga want some of the cash cow tv broadcast rates that the Premier League get. La Liga are tired of the Premier League being the richest and they want to get more of that for themselves. So they will be building a presence in the USA. They want the kid who has an MLS side to pick a La Liga side to follow as well rather than a Premier League side.

And Charlie said there would be "this season" a La Liga league match held in the USA. Probably second half of the season ( So in 2019) . He said Relevent have been contacted by some US stadiums that they want to host the La Liga match now that the news is out

He went on to say they have to get it right. The travel over and back for the two sides during the season. The right stadium, practice fields, etc. The whole package to make it go smoothly.

So this is a goer. 100%

Now what do the Premier League do to make sure their cash cow of US and North American rights don't get eroded? All 20 sides in the Premier League benefit from those tv rights. Less tv money and merchandising from North America makes things that much tighter for all clubs in the PL.

Man City already have somewhat of a plan at least in the NY area. Liverpool already have soccer camps in the USA in a few cities.

The clubs, especially the top clubs, will need to do more in the USA. What the League as a whole do is to be determined.

One idea I can think of could be, when the Premier League has it's "winter" break, for a number of clubs to go to the USA to train and maybe have a "friendly" match before they return and the League picks back up. The only problem is if it's winter, then only the Southern parts of the USA make sense. From Florida to California. So that would exclude a big portion of the USA. But as we see during the summer, clubs come over then and can play in the rest of the USA and Canada.

Make no mistake the Premier League and clubs will be watching La Liga and this venture closely.

Like i said..a 100% goer..

Barcelona, Girona and La Liga have asked the Spanish Football Federation for permission for the two Catalan clubs to relocate a match to the US.

The game, Girona's 'home' match, would be held at Miami's Hard Rock Stadium on 26 January at 19:45 GMT.

A compensation package for Girona season ticket holders has been agreed.

RFEF, the US Soccer Federation, Uefa and Concacaf need to give permission for the game to go ahead.

Luis Rubiales, the president of the RFEF, has previously spoken out against the US game.

The Spanish players' union (AFE) has also opposed the match and following a meeting with La Liga on Monday, it said the players would have the "final say".

La Liga, Spain's top flight, has agreed to play one game a season in the US as part of a 15-year deal with media company Relevent.

Girona is in Catalonia, about 60 miles north east of Barcelona. The club say the match represents a chance for expansion and growth, both for the club and the region.

La Liga is planning to subsidise travel and accommodation for fans affected by the relocated match.

For Girona season ticket holders, there will be 1,500 free flights to Miami, with a choice of staying overnight for the weekend, or coming straight back after the match.

For those who do not want to travel, there will be 5,000 free tickets to the away game against Barcelona at the Nou Camp on 23 September and 20% off their season ticket. Fans who cannot do either would get a 40% discount on their season ticket.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45485038

Girona fans are being exploited for the Spanish FA and La Liga to grow their "brand" in the USA.

Wonder how much those tickets will cost in Miami to pay Girona for this?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2018, 09:10:35 pm »
Except you forget this needs the us federation, concacaf, Fifa and UEFA to be on board too so it’s not all that much closer, they’d have all agreed this before that initial announcement

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2018, 11:00:50 pm »
Greedy c*nts, hope they go bust.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2018, 01:38:39 am »
Except you forget this needs the us federation, concacaf, Fifa and UEFA to be on board too so it’s not all that much closer, they’d have all agreed this before that initial announcement

All it’s going to take is a few stuffed envelopes being delivered to the correct people and approval will be nothing but a formality.  We are talking about some of the most corrupt organizations around after all. 

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2018, 08:19:16 am »
It was always going to be one of those two.

My money is on a club like Eibar or Getafe being 'asked' to give up their home game against one of the two giants. They'll want a showcase so watching Messi stick a hat trick past a mid-table side is what they'll be hoping for IMO.

This is a wank idea; sadly it will come to fruition  :wanker
Ugh. I wasn't far off with choice of team.

It was always going to be a 'lesser' club's fans getting dicked over.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2018, 03:56:14 pm »
Apparently the Spanish FA and FIFA refused the idea so it might not happen at least this season.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2018, 05:24:16 pm »
Apparently the Spanish FA and FIFA refused the idea so it might not happen at least this season.

Now is when the Spanish FA will decide..

Plans for Spain's top soccer league to play a fixture in the United States have moved a step closer, after it asked for permission from the Spanish Football Federation to take Girona's game against Barcelona abroad.

"Barcelona, Girona and La Liga have requested the authorisation of the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) to play Girona v Barcelona on 26 January at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami at 20.45 CET," said a statement from the league on Tuesday.

Originally scheduled as a home match for Girona, the league's organising body said on Tuesday it had also reached an agreement with prominent Spanish fans group Aficiones Unidas (Fans United). It will offer free return flights to compensate Girona season ticket holders who will be deprived of a home game against Barcelona as a result of the venue change.

Catalan based side Girona is partly owned by the parent group of Premier League champions Manchester City, who La Liga Chief Javier Tabas revealed had encouraged the club to get involved in the first U.S. match.

However, there are still obstacles to overcome before the game gets the official go ahead. The Spanish Footballer's Union (AFE) has already been strong opponents to the joint agreement made between La Liga and American sports and entertainment group Relevent. It announced plans last month, to play one Spanish game per season in North America over the next 15 years.

Relevent is a company under the ownership of Stephen Ross, who also owns Miami Dolphins NFL team.

The AFE reiterated in a statement on Monday of its anger at not being informed of the plans La Liga has committed to. It went on to provide a full report on the impact it believed playing games in the U.S. will have on players.

Following a consultation with captains and senior members representing all 20 La Liga sides, the statement added that it will be the players who will make a final decision on whether or not they go to play the proposed Girona versus Barcelona game.

Tebas stated the league will earn €200 million ($232.80 million) for playing games in North America. He promised that teams will be under no obligation to take their matches across the Atlantic, with only clubs that volunteer making the trip and saying "this is much more than a game, it's about strategy and sponsorship."

As well as requiring the permission of the Spanish Football Federation, the game needs to be approved by European football's governing body UEFA, as well as the United States' soccer federation and the regional body CONCACAF.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/12/spanish-soccer-chiefs-submit-official-request-to-trigger-232-million-deal-and-take-top-matches-to-the-us.html