Author Topic: Loan Watch 2018-2019  (Read 184168 times)

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
Re: Loan Watch 2018-2019
« Reply #960 on: January 19, 2019, 01:28:45 am »
You're arguing two different things now.  My point which I think still stands is that going from Academy to playing for a top 4 or 6 or 10 team in the world is extremely tough and rare.  The list you gave doesn't dispute that in my mind as Kimpepe playing is not the same as Areola or Llorente being squad filler.

As far as Wilson getting a chance, what does my argument about going from Academy to first team at our level being rare have to do with him not getting one?  Something not being likely doesn't mean it never happens.  Even in my criticism of Wilson's game I've couched the fact that his amazing long range shooting is unlikely to continue but that's not a flat out impossibility.

Except you keeping moving the goalposts. You started off by saying his game has nothing but the unsustainable shooting levels hes shown
Nobody has said his shooting results are sustainable but by the same token you say they almost certainly won't.

People said when he was tearing it up in the u18's its only the U18's, after an unfortunate spell with injury he came back into the U23's and was soon replicating the great results at that level, people said its only only youth football we've had lots of guys do that (they aren't wrong but....)

Then he goes on loan to a struggling Hull who were looking odds on to get relegated until Wilson shows up and he then starts scoring for fun with them helping them stay up, people said ahh its only 4 months at Hull, in the meantime hes playing and scoring for Wales and now hes been doing it again for Derby, including against Utd, Chelsea and Southampton who last time I looked were PL teams so I just don't get the negativity towards a player who has shown he can do it against every level each time he's moved up.

Now let me just be clear I'm not saying he will definitely be good enough long term for us but I just can't see how he isn't given a chance to see if he is.

I think why people have taken umbridge with you in this thread is because you seem overly negative about him as a player and his chances of being an option next season, yes you are correct when you say the step up to our first team is massive and most won't make it (hell I've been in the youth thread since its started and it saddens me that most of the guys we've watched haven't been able to step up long term) but don't you think its better to have a bit of hope that <insert name here> might be the guy who bucks that trend rather than being sure he won't from the get go?

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #961 on: January 19, 2019, 01:48:27 am »
You're arguing two different things now.  My point which I think still stands is that going from Academy to playing for a top 4 or 6 or 10 team in the world is extremely tough and rare.  The list you gave doesn't dispute that in my mind as Kimpepe playing is not the same as Areola or Llorente being squad filler.

As far as Wilson getting a chance, what does my argument about going from Academy to first team at our level being rare have to do with him not getting one?  Something not being likely doesn't mean it never happens.  Even in my criticism of Wilson's game I've couched the fact that his amazing long range shooting is unlikely to continue but that's not a flat out impossibility.

Areola and Llorente played a combined 60 games between them last season, for teams that won the domestic treble and Champions League respectively. And if you meant the first 11, you should have said it. What you actually said was:

We're a top 6 club in the world at the moment, what are the odds of an Academy graduate even making the squad if they're not a generational talent?  Pretty low right?  That's just the facts whether it's for LFC, Bayern, Barca or any of our other competitors. 

My argument is simply that Wilson looks an excellent prospect and he deserves a chance to see if he can replicate his form in the first team at this level. And that it's far from rare for top teams to bring youth players  through into the first team - in fact they do it all the time.

Offline vallapureddy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #962 on: January 19, 2019, 07:31:55 am »
If Wilson can replicate what he is doing at derby, we have a player in hand for sure. His close control on the ball and able to hold of players from taking away the ball isn't bad. He will be our own Beckham from dead-ball situations. This lad deserves a chance with our first team.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #963 on: January 19, 2019, 08:28:24 am »
Snip

I’m pretty sure we’re agreeing on the loan being good for his development, but again....you said we wouldn’t recall him regardless of what the manager thought of him. Which again, isn’t true. Not sure what’s hard to grasp? He’s scored 9 in 21 in the league, which would put him level with or better than Sterling, Son and Anderson. If the manager thought as a player Wilson was now at the level that he could replicate that in the PL, he’d recall him. Fuck development because he’d already be there. As it is, he’s happily let the recall option expire which is pretty ironclad proof that right now he doesn’t think he’s good enough to contribute to the first team. Leicester have just recalled Barnes who has performed at a similar level to Harry, they’re hardly in dire need but he’s shown by doing well at Championship level he’d be a good option for Leicester, competing with Albrighton, Gray and Ghezzal. It’s difficult to find many examples because frankly, top players don’t really get loaned out so they wouldn’t need to be recalled. I’d also wager, unpopular as it might be, that there’s a pretty strong chance that after pre-season we decide we’d quite like to see how he does in the PL on loan....

And again not quite sure what your point is about Pulisic, but you said that they are similar level talents yet Wilson has done more to justify his hype. So on that basis, what has Harry done more than Pulisic for you to rate then as similar level talents? I’m genuinely interested because I haven’t seen a huge amount of either of them, but just strikes me as odd that you’d see them at a similar level considering what they’ve both done so far.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 08:29:57 am by Eel Lobo »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #964 on: January 19, 2019, 09:10:54 am »
Areola and Llorente played a combined 60 games between them last season, for teams that won the domestic treble and Champions League respectively. And if you meant the first 11, you should have said it. What you actually said was:

My argument is simply that Wilson looks an excellent prospect and he deserves a chance to see if he can replicate his form in the first team at this level. And that it's far from rare for top teams to bring youth players  through into the first team - in fact they do it all the time.

Just want to commend the work and patience of some in this thread, the amount of goalposts being moved by some would impress even one Jose Mourinho. For fuck sake, no one is saying he's going to start every game for us, he'll be a great addition to the squad next season. If he's happy with that role he'll stay with us and hopefully progress and replace one of the current front 3 as a starter in 2 to 3 years. If that doesn't look like happening then we'll still get a good fee for him a year or two down the line.

The lengths some people go to when trying to knock a fella who has been here since 2005 is fucking insane.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #965 on: January 19, 2019, 09:27:45 am »
Nurse!

Who's he? Is he good enough? Out on Loan? Will he make the first team? He will, he won't, don't argue!!! Fuck you idiot! you're delusional!

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #966 on: January 19, 2019, 10:01:10 am »
Just want to commend the work and patience of some in this thread, the amount of goalposts being moved by some would impress even one Jose Mourinho. For fuck sake, no one is saying he's going to start every game for us, he'll be a great addition to the squad next season. If he's happy with that role he'll stay with us and hopefully progress and replace one of the current front 3 as a starter in 2 to 3 years. If that doesn't look like happening then we'll still get a good fee for him a year or two down the line.

The lengths some people go to when trying to knock a fella who has been here since 2005 is fucking insane.

The job of a fan-base is to inspire/lift confidences & support players during difficult times, but we actually put more pressure on them after their difficult spells. We just want rid instead of seeing if these players can get past those difficulties & get to their bests, which some players like Henderson & Lovren have done by turning the tables & contributing immensely over the years. We know prejudice & early impressions are the be all and end all for some and it takes over those fans to extreme lengths. One bad game is all that takes these days for absolute venom to be spouted. But at least we know that Henderson & Lovren did have difficult times here.

But I honestly don't understand prejudice & knocking down Wilson. What has he even done to attract this negativity, except succeeding in every level he has played? It doesn't make sense at all to me, regardless of countless other academy players that we may have seen before not make it. Not every player is the same & if we thought that, we may never have had the likes of McManaman, Fowler, Carragher, Owen, Gerrard, Sterling, TAA come through. And different players have different arcs. All players don't peak at the same age (although there's kind of an average for different player roles), they don't come through at the same age, they don't become first teamers at the same age or become World Class at the same age if they eventually do. Compare someone like Owen, when he became a top striker & then Falcao who was a late bloomer. It's not just those high level close to World Class players or World Class players come through. Plenty of top flight players have come through & it's been improving since Rafa who planted seeds for this sort of an improvement in recent years. For all that hard work over the years, we may at least put it through use? At least put it through test and assess each player on their own merit? How can anyone do that without giving chances to see if a player will make the step up or not?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:06:43 am by PoetryInMotion »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #967 on: January 19, 2019, 11:34:42 am »
The thing is chaps, no one is really writing him off or saying he won’t or can’t make it here. Merely that some of the hyperbole is a little bit much. We’ve all watched football long enough to have seen the big talents come through here. Not one of them was ever loaned out. And that was when we were a top 4 challenger generally. For the last 18 months we’ve been on an upward trajectory to the point now where we’re pretty much indisputably one of the best sides in Europe. And we’re talking about competition for places with the likes of Salah, Mane, Firmino, Keita, Shaqiri, Oxlade. Top, top class players. That’s the sort of level, like it or not, that Wilson really needs to be at. Of course we don’t expect him to be Mo Salah, but we’ll most likely be adding one or two big attacking players in the summer (rightly so) and if he isn’t close to their level then he isn’t going to play.

It really shouldn’t be taken personally if some people have doubts that he will be at that level any time soon. It’d save us a shit tonne of money if he does, and solve a homegrown issue. Which we’d all love. Doesn’t mean that we should just blindly ignore past evidence which is that when a player is continually loaned rather than getting first team opportunities for his parent club, it’s normally a decent sign that the manager doesn’t particularly rate him.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #968 on: January 19, 2019, 12:57:56 pm »
Merely that some of the hyperbole is a little bit much.

That's the thing about hyperbole.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #969 on: January 19, 2019, 01:21:24 pm »
The thing is chaps, no one is really writing him off or saying he won’t or can’t make it here. Merely that some of the hyperbole is a little bit much. We’ve all watched football long enough to have seen the big talents come through here. Not one of them was ever loaned out. And that was when we were a top 4 challenger generally. For the last 18 months we’ve been on an upward trajectory to the point now where we’re pretty much indisputably one of the best sides in Europe. And we’re talking about competition for places with the likes of Salah, Mane, Firmino, Keita, Shaqiri, Oxlade. Top, top class players. That’s the sort of level, like it or not, that Wilson really needs to be at. Of course we don’t expect him to be Mo Salah, but we’ll most likely be adding one or two big attacking players in the summer (rightly so) and if he isn’t close to their level then he isn’t going to play.

It really shouldn’t be taken personally if some people have doubts that he will be at that level any time soon. It’d save us a shit tonne of money if he does, and solve a homegrown issue. Which we’d all love. Doesn’t mean that we should just blindly ignore past evidence which is that when a player is continually loaned rather than getting first team opportunities for his parent club, it’s normally a decent sign that the manager doesn’t particularly rate him.

Can I ask you what statements do you think are hyperbole? I haven’t seen no hyperbole people think he is a talent good enough to make it here, and there is better arguments to support this statement than the other way, detractors arguments are basically “Klopp sent him out on loan twice so he can’t be that good”.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:24:59 pm by Coolie High »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #970 on: January 19, 2019, 01:26:49 pm »
Can I ask you what statements do you think are hyperbole? I haven’t seen no hyperbole people think he is a talent good enough to make it here, and there is better arguments to support this statement than the other way, detractors arguments are basically “Klopp sent him out on loan twice so he can’t be that good”.

Sure

I hope people don’t pigeon hole him into thinking he is just about long range shooting and set pieces, he’s a good dribbler, quite frankly can pass as good or has as good of a touch as any of our wide forwards and has great movement and awareness, he is quite obviously a star, the question is what doesn’t he do well?

as far as all round game goes he isn’t any less well rounded than Mane or Salah despite him obviously being not as good yet.

He is exceptional, I don't know why it's taking so long for some of you to realise this.

he is a player with very few weaknesses, he can do everything we ask off plus more, a true complete forward.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #971 on: January 19, 2019, 01:39:01 pm »
Who's he? Is he good enough? Out on Loan? Will he make the first team? He will, he won't, don't argue!!! Fuck you idiot! you're delusional!
Always delivers what is needed!

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #972 on: January 19, 2019, 01:45:33 pm »
The thing is chaps, no one is really writing him off or saying he won’t or can’t make it here.

I'd stop you right there, and go back a few pages where someone has said he can't drive the ball, he can't do anything defensively nor can he create and made him look like someone who all he knows is to just shoot and he's had goals as a result of that but can't do anything else, which is blatantly not true. It's assumed that he can't sustain it, so he's not good enough.

The hyperbole goes the other way first, so people have to counterbalance that sort of bollocks by giving him a bit more support. Supporting a young lad, with even a bit of hyperbole is not necessarily a bad thing. Slagging of a promising youngster, surely is. I know that much about the word 'support'.

Some of you might want to be 'cautious', but I want to enjoy the journey & stop negativity in the name of caution, I want to enjoy the title race & it won't change whether we win or not & similarly I want to enjoy the promising youngsters that we have, whether they eventually make it or not. It's all part of football.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:50:54 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #973 on: January 19, 2019, 03:44:24 pm »
Another goal and assist for Harry Wilson today.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: January 19, 2019, 05:32:06 pm »

Sell him now!!! (the goal is an unreal deflection)

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #975 on: January 19, 2019, 05:40:11 pm »

And Ejaria had an assist in that game as well

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #976 on: January 19, 2019, 09:28:03 pm »
And Ejaria had an assist in that game as well

On the rams forum one fella is saying he ran the game and that Derby should go for him

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #977 on: January 19, 2019, 10:00:45 pm »
Frank Lampard: "There's a lot of talk about Harry and early in the season he was hitting spectacular goals, but what he's done which has really impressed me in the last two months is really up his game generally.

"Everything about his game is positive, he wants the ball, he's creating, he's scoring so it's not just the fantastic goals that Harry Wilson is; he's a player who is developing fast and I'm loving watching him play at the minute.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #978 on: January 19, 2019, 10:02:57 pm »
Frank Lampard: "There's a lot of talk about Harry and early in the season he was hitting spectacular goals, but what he's done which has really impressed me in the last two months is really up his game generally.

"Everything about his game is positive, he wants the ball, he's creating, he's scoring so it's not just the fantastic goals that Harry Wilson is; he's a player who is developing fast and I'm loving watching him play at the minute.

Highperbally.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline seal75

• Kopite
« Reply #979 on: January 19, 2019, 10:37:45 pm »
Sell him now!!! (the goal is an unreal deflection)
He's being trained by Frank Lampard, what do you expect ?
"Ni pour, ni contre. Bien au contraire!", Coluche.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #980 on: January 20, 2019, 02:19:13 pm »
Marko Grujic back fit, and straight back into the Hertha BSC starting XI today, they are away to FC Nürnberg, starting in a few mins.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #981 on: January 20, 2019, 03:12:07 pm »
On the rams forum one fella is saying he ran the game and that Derby should go for him

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vR8abLHH_JA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vR8abLHH_JA</a>

For someone who can't drive the play or create, Wilson is involved in every exchange of play in that first goal, isn't he? Sublime interchanges there, which he has been part of for a while now in a number of games at Derby, his linkup play has been really good for a while now, yet the narrative is that he can't do all that.

And these comments right below the video,

"We have to do everything we can to sign Wilson, Mount & Tomori permanently soon."

"Agree mate, cant see it happening though. Out of the three I'd go for Wilson if we can only have one!"

"And me, he'd be the top priority without question".

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #982 on: January 20, 2019, 04:56:30 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vR8abLHH_JA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vR8abLHH_JA</a>

For someone who can't drive the play or create, Wilson is involved in every exchange of play in that first goal, isn't he? Sublime interchanges there, which he has been part of for a while now in a number of games at Derby, his linkup play has been really good for a while now, yet the narrative is that he can't do all that.

And these comments right below the video,

"We have to do everything we can to sign Wilson, Mount & Tomori permanently soon."

"Agree mate, cant see it happening though. Out of the three I'd go for Wilson if we can only have one!"

"And me, he'd be the top priority without question".

Not sure there's any narrative, just one or two questioning if his game is complete enough to perform for us - a legitimate position surely? 

From that vid it's pretty clear his link up play is excellent, he can spot a pass and has the technique to deliver it, and he can hit a ball. The question marks will surely be over his ability to hold onto the ball under pressure in his own half, his ability to make the right defensive decisions (for example in the clip he is the nearest cover to the right full back at some point in the second half, but does nothing to get across to help double up - is that under instruction or him just not being switched-on enough to his defensive responsibilities)? I'm not saying he is weak at this (I haven't watched him enough), but if he isn't adequately tracking his runners then he would be considered a liability for us. What he could get away for Derby is not the same as what he would get away with here. Whilst I'm not stating it as fact, it is surely a legitimate concern?

Obviously he would be given some leeway as he is still learning his trade at the top level, but Klopp's set-up requires a minimum of tactical defensive awareness (and ability), which if he doesn't think Wilson has he is unlikely to use him (see Shaquiri's number of starts, for example).

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #983 on: January 20, 2019, 06:10:12 pm »
Not sure there's any narrative, just one or two questioning if his game is complete enough to perform for us - a legitimate position surely? 

From that vid it's pretty clear his link up play is excellent, he can spot a pass and has the technique to deliver it, and he can hit a ball. The question marks will surely be over his ability to hold onto the ball under pressure in his own half, his ability to make the right defensive decisions (for example in the clip he is the nearest cover to the right full back at some point in the second half, but does nothing to get across to help double up - is that under instruction or him just not being switched-on enough to his defensive responsibilities)? I'm not saying he is weak at this (I haven't watched him enough), but if he isn't adequately tracking his runners then he would be considered a liability for us. What he could get away for Derby is not the same as what he would get away with here. Whilst I'm not stating it as fact, it is surely a legitimate concern?

Obviously he would be given some leeway as he is still learning his trade at the top level, but Klopp's set-up requires a minimum of tactical defensive awareness (and ability), which if he doesn't think Wilson has he is unlikely to use him (see Shaquiri's number of starts, for example).

That's why he won't be walking into the lineup and will be inducted into the side just like Klopp has done to others, if he chooses to?

Obviously, there will be differences in approach & style of play that he has to adapt to (just like any other youth player making the step up or like any other new signing), and one of those elements will be playing under pressure or tracking back, but considering his technique & link up play, I believe he will just be fine. Of course, the switch to our style of play won't happen overnight, but the basic elements are all there, that's what some of us are saying.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #984 on: January 20, 2019, 09:55:04 pm »
One thing I would say with Wilson next season is if he stays fit I’d imagine he’ll get minutes early on in the season

Given salah, mane and Keita will be on African nations cup duty they could be back to training late and given an extended break ,especially mo who won’t have stopped for three years. He’ll be eased back in and therefore a young forward will get time to shine I think . Both him and Brewster will be in pole position to grab those minutes

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #985 on: January 21, 2019, 05:49:27 am »

Now sure how I'm moving goal posts when the point has been the same about Academy to first team.  Are you saying it is very easy to go from the Academy to the first team?  Otherwise I'm not sure what the difference is that there are two players that aren't generational talents that got some games vs. zero.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #986 on: January 22, 2019, 10:29:54 am »
Safe to say they’re loving Grujic in Berlin.

This is the first time in my life when I didn’t have to settle with the middle shelf of the supermarket, instead I was able reach the top shelf,” Dardai told Hungarian outlet Index.

“This is the first time I have a player like him, unfortunately only on loan from Liverpool.

“Before the Bundesliga game we had an exhibition match between Hertha ‘A’ and ‘B’ teams. Grujic was on the ‘B’ team, and they won 1-0.

“But it doesn’t matter what I think of him, the numbers talk for themselves.

“When he started and played a lot we had a 2.4 point average. He has the whole team on his shoulders.

“With this point average we would contend in the Champions League. Top three teams in the Bundesliga have a point average like this.

“If he doesn’t do anything, he still makes all the others calm with his presence. You know, he provides stability.

“Without him, we have a 0.7 point average. We would be relegated with this kind of performance.

“When he did not play, it affected all the others. We missed him in the middle of the park. We can have a good spring if he’s healthy.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #987 on: January 22, 2019, 10:37:40 am »
Was just looking for this thread to ask about Grujic.

Does he have a future here?

Must admit from what I've seen he looks to have something, but on the downside he gets booked a bit. That said how does he get into a 3 man midfield? Whose place does he take either starting or on the bench?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #988 on: January 22, 2019, 11:33:43 am »

Must admit from what I've seen he looks to have something, but on the downside he gets booked a bit. That said how does he get into a 3 man midfield? Whose place does he take either starting or on the bench?

Hertha's manager Michael Preetz suggested the other week that Liverpool see him as part of the squad next season. I suspect we'll see how it goes pre-season and early next season!

But he was speaking because he was asked about keeping him - which obviously Hertha would love to do, as he's just been a massive positive for them. And he said that sadly for them it wasn't going to happen as Liverpool want him back.

Tough to know long term of course, but he certainly has got something about him. At the weekend, his first game back from his injury, he only played 55 mins - which I think was likely the plan for his 1st game back. He kept things simple in this game, didn't need to do more, it was a comforable win vs the bottom team. But you can see form his demenour that he is a big presence in the team - as spoken of by Pal Dardai in the quotes above your post. He was calm and assured. 

« Reply #989 on: January 22, 2019, 11:39:53 am »

He could really learn a lot from Fabinho, both players have a very similar profile and play the same position. With Klopp now playing 4321 with 2 holding CMs, I really hope he gets his chance next season

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #990 on: January 22, 2019, 11:43:51 am »
MrBoywunder did a Grujic video from the weekend.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4QBD8r70Un4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4QBD8r70Un4</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #991 on: January 22, 2019, 12:31:31 pm »
Didn't think he looked all that impressive in that video, just a steady performance.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #992 on: January 22, 2019, 12:34:26 pm »
Didn't think he looked all that impressive in that video, just a steady performance.

2 posts above:

"At the weekend, his first game back from his injury, he only played 55 mins - which I think was likely the plan for his 1st game back. He kept things simple in this game, didn't need to do more, it was a comforable win vs the bottom team. But you can see form his demenour that he is a big presence in the team - as spoken of by Pal Dardai in the quotes above your post. He was calm and assured. "

;)

He didn't really get out of 2nd gear for that one, probably understandable after quite a long layoff including the winter break. He was back in full training only a week before the game I think.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #993 on: January 22, 2019, 12:35:46 pm »

Safe to say they’re loving Grujic in Berlin.

He's one of those players for them that provide a lot more than meets the eye in a highlight reel. A bit like the other part of why we love Van Dijk, not just his immense reading, speed and heading.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #994 on: January 22, 2019, 12:47:45 pm »
I'm sure Edwards is looking on at Grujic's impact at Berlin. Some of his performances show up seriously good on the stats front.

Problem is we have such depth now in midfield with Ox's return, and the fact we play with a 3 so rarely nowadays, it'll be very hard for him to find minutes next season. Keita is finding it difficult enough himself.

An option to sell him for around £20-30m with a good buy back clause or maybe first refusal option would be a good idea.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #995 on: January 22, 2019, 01:09:33 pm »
God, it’s slow isn’t it? That Berlin game. Like a pre-season friendly.

Online Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #996 on: January 22, 2019, 01:41:22 pm »
God, it’s slow isn’t it? That Berlin game. Like a pre-season friendly.

Totally agree. He was put under no pressure at all. That match tells us nothing about him being ready for us. Hopefully he's being tested way more than that over the course of the season.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #997 on: January 22, 2019, 01:58:47 pm »
it's an odd game for him to spend time making a compilation of to be fair, not sure why he'd bother with a 55 min appearance in a game that Hertha strolled in.

I guess whoever does these comps has a shit ton of time on their hands and makes good money out of them  ;D

« Reply #998 on: January 22, 2019, 02:59:13 pm »
I'm sure Edwards is looking on at Grujic's impact at Berlin. Some of his performances show up seriously good on the stats front.

Problem is we have such depth now in midfield with Ox's return, and the fact we play with a 3 so rarely nowadays, it'll be very hard for him to find minutes next season. Keita is finding it difficult enough himself.

An option to sell him for around £20-30m with a good buy back clause or maybe first refusal option would be a good idea.
I think the fact we play with 2 holding players increases Grujic's chances rather than reduces them.

Fabinho, Henderson, Gini, and Grujic are the players on our books who can or have played the #6 position for us

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #999 on: January 23, 2019, 12:23:59 am »

it’s working this year or what ever but I really hope we go back to 4-3-3 once Naby has settled and Ox is back. Not a fan of 4-2-3-1 think it’s out dated