Author Topic: 2018 in Music  (Read 126429 times)

Offline Szemerényi

• Anny Roader
  • We all ride the red and white gallop
Re: 2018 in Music
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2018, 09:41:16 pm »
Haven't listened much to new music this year but Poppy Ackroyds 'Resolve' is a stunningly beautiful piece of neoclassical electronica. It's almost too pretty, but she has the technical skills to pull it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77d5O1b8bqE
[
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJm5CFh_zc0
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:50:00 pm by Szemerényi »

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2018, 09:43:41 pm »
New car seat headrest is more of the same, and it's great.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2018, 10:22:47 pm »
It's absurd how inventive the guys from Sun City Girls are. Almost 40 years since they formed, and you still don't have a clue what they will come up with.

A mysterious band to bands that have played with them too ;D. Alan Bishops band 'Invisible Hands' need a listen to aswell - a band he formed living in Egypt during the uprisings. Fantastic stuff.

This latest LP has him sounding like David Bowie or Bob Dylan - huge amount of Dylan. And Johnny Cash. For fans of Floyd and The Byrds too. It's mental for it's accessability. After all these years, and age 60 something, and after all that HIDEOUS!!! fucking noise, he's just knocked one out that sits on the same bloody table as those guys. Beautiful album.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:27:59 pm by Filler. »

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2018, 11:08:04 pm »
The liner notes for Alvarius B's 'Beaker on The Burner etc'. A 3xLP sold separately (wanker). Naturally, I have a self deprecating sense of humour posting this:

Alvarius B. on With a Beaker on the Burner and an Otter in the Oven - Vol. 1 Natural Wonder: "Volume One of three new LPs I am releasing simultaneously called Natural Wonder, this is the more melodic, savvy one and you might like it. Maybe I'm lying and it's the innocent, straight record so maybe you should get Vol 3 (ABDT 059C-LP) instead if you're in a darker mood. But that's not really true either. Or maybe it's one of those records that grows on you the more you continue playing it... like a cancer. The musicians who played on all three albums don't deserve to be involved in these kamikaze promotional descriptions so don't blame them for any of this. They played so well on these records, in fact they play much better than you do, and their performances deserve a 'Whammy,' which is the awards show where I'm in charge and the winners get to shoot members of the music industry academy dead in their seats. That's where it's all headed you know. . . . The modern world of record making has become so fucking dull and obedient that someone has to ram a poison dagger up your asses and since you're all under hypnosis, I promise you won't feel a thing. I could pay Dougie Jones to write this piece to match your intellect or hire a publicity company to promote it but who really gives a fuck? I'm still making records for myself and the rest of humanity doesn't speak my language anyway. By deciding to write my own album promos, I can perform some market research. For example, this album description text will undoubtedly be copy/pasted by most online retailers onto their respective sites because they don't write their own new album reviews or get too excited about music, they simply want to create the illusion that they're in business to sell records. So I could put something like: Fuck all website retailers that copy/paste this description onto their site because they are too fucking cheap, lazy or chicken shit to have an opinion to write individual album reviews -- and they probably wouldn't even notice while doing it. Anyway, back to my new album. These songs are pretty good, most likely way better than your songs, and I don't even have time to be a real songwriter, so what does that say about you? It says that you suck. And most of you do. But you should buy my new three album set because it's probably as good or better than any other LPs that will be released this year. But if you aren't ready to go all-in with confidence, then forget it. I don't want any mudskipper sub-species of the crayfish to buy my records. There are always a few speculators who'll pick up the extra copies you won't buy anyway." One-time pressing; Includes printed inner sleeve with lyrics and credits.

Alvarius B. on With a Beaker on the Burner and an Otter in the Oven - Vol. 2 A Mark Twain August: "This is Volume Two of my new three LP set, and it's called A Mark Twain August. Now don't go asking me what the fuck that title means but I will say that it may be my favorite of the three. My 'fans', all 133 of them, are pretty smart. I used to think only 67 people mattered on earth, now it could be far less, but it's beginning to trouble me how I've actually accumulated 133 fans. So if you're not a moron, I don't mind if you buy this record. I made more copies than I have fans so I need to expand on the audience a bit but I don't want fucking idiots buying my albums. A brand new car loses value the moment you drive it home, but my records will always go up in value (like my Dodge Ram Van which tripled in value when I drove it off the lot) so this is also an investment opportunity. If you were to walk slowly on a hot bed of coals you may discover that Don McLean never actually drove his Chevy to the levy and that the singer-songwriter is dead, just like all the poets. What do contemporary poets and the entire Indonesian population have in common? Most of you cannot name even one of them. Homo Sapiens now love to complain and act as if they know how the world works by 'expressing' themselves on their social media networks -- that's become the new poetry. And I think there are only nine people writing songs today that I respect, I'd have to check to make sure. And the Thinking Fellars were a great band -- I could name a dozen more from the past 30 years that I'd call contemporaries, but that's about it. . . . And I almost forgot to mention that Mark Twain's old banjo appears on this record. Oh and this is better than that Wolf King of LA album by Papa John Phillips, for all those who got mesmerized by it 30 years after it came out. There's only three or four good tracks on that and A Mark Twain August has six great tracks on it, at least. One-time pressing; Includes printed inner sleeve with lyrics and credits.

Alvarius B. on With a Beaker on the Burner and an Otter in the Oven - Vol. 3 Heathen Folklore: "Serial killing was one of history's greatest art forms. Now it's becoming almost impossible to get a skull-drilling startup off the ground unless you murder for the corporations or governments where you have highly organized protection from any enforceable law but at the expense of sacrificing all the glory for the anonymity required to maintain employment. So, unfortunately, the days of any zit topography random commoner being able to string together a few killings to hit the big time before being caught has almost come to an end. Sad. This record, the third and final volume of my new three-LP set called Heathen Folklore, could serve as somewhat of a manual of inspiration on how one could start such a career, as risky and unpopular as it is. It gets much more fucked-up than the previous two LPs, and sometimes I think it's the best one due to that aspect. I'd have to give it one more listen but I also think this is the LP with coded messages that could trigger an unsuspecting listener to start his/her career in extreme behavior. But killing isn't everything you know. There are many more ways to express yourself and reach the top of the charts these days. In fact, I saw Burt Bacharach three weeks ago gripping a huge fucking machete while chasing modern dance music architects off his champion ship and into deep water where they hopefully became shark bait. And to set the record straight, Jimi Hendrix did not fake his death and become Morgan Freeman nor was Hunter S. Thompson directing snuff films. But most of that other weird shit you hear about these days is probably true. And I'm working on a film called 'Being Alvarius B.' where all of you loser fucks crawl into my brain and see yourselves from my perspective and then commit collective suicide because you finally realize I was right all along. And I am. Can't wait to make more albums so I can write these album descriptions. Cocksuckers." One-time pressing; Includes printed inner sleeve with lyrics and credits.

https://www.forcedexposure.com/Artists/ALVARIUS.B.html

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2018, 11:15:53 pm »
That's incredible. I must hear this Alvarius B.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Szemerényi

• Anny Roader
  • We all ride the red and white gallop
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2018, 11:52:35 pm »
Great picture of Omar Souleyman  :D Have i told i arranged a gig with him as one of the first in Europe more than a decade ago?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2018, 12:33:57 am »
That's incredible. I must hear this Alvarius B.

Alvarius B would have Keita as a '6', that's all I'm saying.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2018, 07:41:44 am »

;D

I had a listen to 'Zion The Rocket Ship' just before bed last night, I liked it. I'll have a listen to some more today.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2018, 06:37:27 pm »

I finally listened to the full 2 hours worth the other day and now I regret not having this on my list.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2018, 06:49:36 pm »

Was gonna have a listen after you posted those liner notes 'cos they're brilliant, but then this killed it for me I'm afraid. Keita as a 6? That's obscene.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: February 19, 2018, 11:20:47 am »
Great picture of Omar Souleyman  :D Have i told i arranged a gig with him as one of the first in Europe more than a decade ago?

Didn't realise that was Omar Souleyman. Thought it was just some Arab dude. He released an album very recently didn't he - was quite enjoyable - should give it another go. Don't know too much about him, but Sublime Frequencies were quite instrumental in getting him out there I believe. He's quite huge now isn't he? There's a chapter or two about him in a book I'm pretending to myself I'm reading about Bishop and SF, 'Punk Ethnography' towards the end. Should make time to read it properly. Fascinating about you putting him on! Was that a tour with Group Doueh?

I finally listened to the full 2 hours worth the other day and now I regret not having this on my list.

:thumbup There are so many good tracks on it, so many high points. That last song is a re-working (butchering) of a Johnny Cash/Bob Dylan song they wrote together specifically for Cash's gigs he played at prisons across the States - it's a beauty to end with I think. I think he's been helped hugely on this record with hanging around, touring and working with Egyptian musicians half his age to give him a helpful nudge towards a more 'pop' sound. He also collaborated with a few members of Master Musicians of Bukkake (another great band name ;D). All I want now is for Timbo to give it a whirl. One for you mate this!

Was gonna have a listen after you posted those liner notes 'cos they're brilliant, but then this killed it for me I'm afraid. Keita as a 6? That's obscene.

The letter he penned after the death of Charles Gocher (the drummer of SCG) some years ago is almost a standard bearer for how to write an obituary.

I'm all aboard the Keita as 6 Rocket Ship.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #211 on: February 19, 2018, 12:10:10 pm »
Nils Frahm - All Melody....this is stunning!

I knew ( infact know) very little about Nils Frahm and only became aware of him when on the rare occasion I let Mary Ann Hobbs on my radio ( she gets on me tits!) she was always banging on about him. Recently Ive seen his name pop up here and there and though I hadnt heard or read a review of All Melody ,gut instict told me to get it....Im glad I did ..Its blown me away.

Its electronic music that has chamber music/ classical/jazz/dance/Dub influences...its not just electorinc and contains, piano , wind instruments etc...but what comes out if very modern brilliant music....think Four tets new energy taken to another level....more grown up

Its a double vinyl Lp and side 3 is as good electronic music as Ive ever heard...it has has same impact as Truth and Peasant had on me last year  and would highly recommend to those into electronic music or like their music of a stranger cut.

Word of advice I dont think this is the type of music you can put on the CD in the car of while cooking etc...it demands your attention.

One other point vinyl LP cost me  E35 which I thought a bit steep ( worth it though) nice packaging with quality booklet , would be intersted to know how much it costs in uk

Mary Ann Hobbs go this spot on.....she still gets on me tits though.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:43:53 pm by FlashingBlade »

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: February 19, 2018, 02:26:05 pm »
I just put that on on my lunch break Flashing Blade, it is a good record, had it on a few times but its growing on me more.

Mary Ann Hobbs also does my head in a bit with her broadcasting style but she makes good choices as well. I think I quite fancy her to be honest. She's grown on me over the years, although soemtimes when I get up at ridiculous hours at the weekend and put her on I think 'Good lord love, what are you playing this skronky weird shit at 6:17AM?'

It's £22 at Norman Records FYI so probably around £25 in actual real shops I imagine.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2018, 04:34:23 pm »
Cheers Sam....most Lp's here knock out around 20/25 Euros so thought it was a bit steep.

All melody and #2 are stunning tracks.

MAH over use of superlatives really annoys me...do you know she started out doing a mid week metal/grunge slot before the Peel show ....seems she's reinvented herself.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #214 on: February 19, 2018, 04:39:49 pm »
Sad to see Wild Beasts come to a premature end.

Unique, dynamic and amazing live, I'll miss them.

http://thequietus.com/articles/24057-wild-beasts-last-gig-final-show-hammersmith-apollo

'End come too soon' indeed.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #215 on: February 19, 2018, 05:23:32 pm »

http://thequietus.com/articles/24057-wild-beasts-last-gig-final-show-hammersmith-apollo

Them and The Maccabees splitting in space of 9 months 
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Cave_Wang

• Anny Roader
  • "Only Steven Gerrard can do that"
« Reply #216 on: February 19, 2018, 11:35:19 pm »
New car seat headrest is more of the same, and it's great.

New to these guys as of last week, Famous Prophets is a truly outstanding piece of music. I'd be certain the whole album is going to be on many end of year lists as well.

Offline Cave_Wang

• Anny Roader
  • "Only Steven Gerrard can do that"
« Reply #217 on: February 19, 2018, 11:38:01 pm »

It is sad for sure - you never know if they might decide to have another stab as it though. The most recent album really wasn't up to their exceedingly high standards though. Great live band especially when the harmonies kick in.

Online jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2018, 03:03:36 am »
Not sold on the new Ought. Hasn't done it for me though it does have bits in the middle that was interesting. I might have to give it a few more listens.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2018, 01:39:05 pm »
Not sold on the new Ought. Hasn't done it for me though it does have bits in the middle that was interesting. I might have to give it a few more listens.

It's shite. I thought their other albums were bad so what do I know.  ;D
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2018, 02:14:54 pm »
Like the new Field Music, 'Count It Up'.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2018, 02:39:20 pm »
Like the new Field Music, 'Count It Up'.

Snap. Takes a few listens as ever - they can be quite angular when they want. But they're great, a proper musicians band. 

They're earlier stuff (up to Plumb) has to be a great companion to your current XTC discovery. How much they got compared to them early on was how I ended up listening to XTC. It's pretty accurate too. 

Black Sea is my favourite XTC.  Side thing - but Andy Partridge almost produced Modern Life Is Rubbish by Blur, they started together but they didn't get on.  Anyway - the early Blur records are directly lifted from Black Sea, I reckon. That bit of art rock satire. Love that album. Drums and Wires be a close second.

Real good full Rockpalast show

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WE5olpWJCPs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WE5olpWJCPs</a>
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 04:22:51 pm by Chip Evans »

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 20, 2018, 03:01:02 pm »
I hear a lot of Hall & Oates in the Field Music album.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: February 20, 2018, 03:07:42 pm »
I hear a lot of Hall & Oates in the Field Music album.

Ah, interesting.  I don't really know them so well - beyond the obvious singles. Field Music have definitely got a bit more funk, and lots more proggy, jazz bits, into it their last couple, and the School of Language album too.  Hall and Oates - where would you start if you fancied dipping your toe?

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2018, 03:14:43 pm »
Ah, interesting.  I don't really know them so well - beyond the obvious singles. Field Music have definitely got a bit more funk, and lots more proggy, jazz bits, into it their last couple, and the School of Language album too.  Hall and Oates - where would you start if you fancied dipping your toe?

I've just been obsessed with 'You Make My Dreams' these last few weeks, I need to get the album 'Voices' (1980) which it is from as I've been loving that tune. It's just a guess though, the rest of the LP could be shit ;D

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2018, 03:19:22 pm »
Sorry to disappoint but I am in the same boat as you both :) I know their hits and some other album songs but wouldn't say I know them well. I was also obsessed with You Make My Dreams a few years ago haha.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2018, 03:32:53 pm »
Hall and Oates - where would you start if you fancied dipping your toe?

On your marks... get set...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NesjvRihbEg?start=34" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NesjvRihbEg?start=34</a>

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 20, 2018, 04:20:56 pm »
On your marks... get set...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NesjvRihbEg?start=34" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NesjvRihbEg?start=34</a>

:lmao

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: February 20, 2018, 06:47:05 pm »
The main man is back.  8)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/n38R1JTEAPo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/n38R1JTEAPo</a>

Online jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2018, 09:42:15 pm »
 Winner. I didn't like the guy or his music at all but he's won me over through his last couple of releases. He's the guy with the best handle on popular culture going around at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2018, 09:35:24 am »
All this talk of Hall and Oates makes me want to dig out the fondue set and drive around in a Ford Capri....oh , what he hell, pass me the open neck shirt and Cossack Hairspray...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-msVGwWIh8U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-msVGwWIh8U</a>

Edit: I must confess whilst I may have mocked, its my fave track of theirs and just played several times...apart from neighbours now thinking my missus has left me , I found Im now more well suited to mellow 1970's 'Soul Train' dancing to insane BPM's ...my side stepping and finger pointing and clicking rather good....might dig out an old pair of 'Birmos' and watch 'Abigales Party ' to complete the vibe.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:18:13 am by FlashingBlade »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2018, 11:38:56 am »
All this talk of Hall and Oates makes me want to dig out the fondue set and drive around in a Ford Capri....oh , what he hell, pass me the open neck shirt and Cossack Hairspray...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-msVGwWIh8U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-msVGwWIh8U</a>

Edit: I must confess whilst I may have mocked, its my fave track of theirs and just played several times...apart from neighbours now thinking my missus has left me , I found Im now more well suited to mellow 1970's 'Soul Train' dancing to insane BPM's ...my side stepping and finger pointing and clicking rather good....might dig out an old pair of 'Birmos' and watch 'Abigales Party ' to complete the vibe.

Equally as good a cover version and a great album covering many of their tunes.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH4Fjw8CYzU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH4Fjw8CYzU</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Brooklyn

• Kopite
« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2018, 03:40:48 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9i4oavM__CQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9i4oavM__CQ</a>

For fans of jangly stuff, I really enjoyed this album.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2018, 08:46:25 pm »
Heard this for the first time today:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xoBVuxuBdIQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xoBVuxuBdIQ</a>

edit: by Peter Wyngarde who died last month. Never knew this very familiar face in the 70's wrote and recorded music, yet alone make me want to seek out this WTF moment. Album goes for about £70 and I'm not bloody suprised ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:54:22 pm by Filler. »

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: February 21, 2018, 09:26:27 pm »
Anyone watching the Brit Awards?

No, thought not ;D

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2018, 09:46:46 pm »
Anyone watching the Brit Awards?

No, thought not ;D

No. Caught a bit on the radio about it on Radio 5 as I was driving out to buy medicine for my moaning ill children tonight, ... 'No, we record this LIVE!!' As in it's some sort of edgy programme - remember when Jarvis etc etc.

Nobody gives a shiny shite!

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2018, 10:09:03 pm »
I am late to the party (cause that is what cool kids do) but Baxter Dury is cool as fuck.

What a great record from last year.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2018, 04:12:27 pm »
I am late to the party (cause that is what cool kids do) but Baxter Dury is cool as fuck.

What a great record from last year.

Didn't listen too much to the record from last year but I loved(!) his record from 2014. Amazing blend of great melodies, deadbeat humour, and deadpan rhythms.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #238 on: February 22, 2018, 04:34:52 pm »
Didn't listen too much to the record from last year but I loved(!) his record from 2014. Amazing blend of great melodies, deadbeat humour, and deadpan rhythms.

Check it out as it is really good too.

In fact, his whole back catalogue seems strong.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: February 22, 2018, 06:18:50 pm »
Yowser, the new Jannelle Monae is a monster. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tGRzz0oqgUE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tGRzz0oqgUE</a>

I think in many ways her and St Vincent seem to increasingly be ploughing similar creative furrows, which isn't a bad thing in my book. I've been a big fan of Monae for a few years now but I do wonder whether her persona and the imagery she uses, which is very art fashion-based and which relies a lot on transhumanism concepts and dictatorship symbolism, will ultimately prevent her from being a big mainstream star. Bowie for instance didn't break huge until he was a good 15 years into his career and made an effort to project a more acessible persona.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:20:32 pm by Sheer Magnetism »