Author Topic: powerline network problem  (Read 1002 times)

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
powerline network problem
« on: December 24, 2017, 02:23:49 pm »
i've been sharing a house with a mate for 18 months, the router has been plugged into one of his powerline adapters since he moved in, i've got one of mine in my room connected to a hub then my android box, ps4 & pc wired to the hub, everything has worked great, he's just got a job down south and has moved out this weekend so i've plugged my other powerline adapter in downstairs, the connection works cos my android box & ps4 are fine but i can't get a wired connection on pc anymore, basically says unidentified network and the troubleshooter says "ethernet doesn't have valid ip configuration"

in ipconfig there is no default gateway, the ip address is 169.254.247.234 & the dns addresses look fucked up, something like fec0:0:0 so guessing it's a dhcp issue?

i've googled the problem and have tried all the solutions i've found but can't fix it, any ideas?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: powerline network problem
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 03:18:02 pm »
When I have had problems with mine I have just reset them & then plugged them both into the same extension lead to pair them again (just easier).
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 04:43:28 pm »
they're paired and working though, android box & ps4 still have a connection, pc hasn't been able to connect since changing the adapter at the router end

might have to take it downstairs and see if it's ok wired directly to the router

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 10:58:09 pm »
You get it sorted mate ?
make, model of powerline kit (you have main plug & extra plugs)
PC.. laptop or desktop.. OS windows 7, 8, 10
i would unplug all plugs, press reset on router & set up plugs 'as new'.. just PC/Laptop till you get online ...then add other connections (ps4, android)
you can get management software for powerline from makers website (though not really needed, can help)
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 10:25:30 am »
i've been sharing a house with a mate for 18 months, the router has been plugged into one of his powerline adapters since he moved in, i've got one of mine in my room connected to a hub then my android box, ps4 & pc wired to the hub, everything has worked great, he's just got a job down south and has moved out this weekend so i've plugged my other powerline adapter in downstairs, the connection works cos my android box & ps4 are fine but i can't get a wired connection on pc anymore, basically says unidentified network and the troubleshooter says "ethernet doesn't have valid ip configuration"

in ipconfig there is no default gateway, the ip address is 169.254.247.234 & the dns addresses look fucked up, something like fec0:0:0 so guessing it's a dhcp issue?

i've googled the problem and have tried all the solutions i've found but can't fix it, any ideas?
You're correct it is a DHCP issue. IP addresses starting with 169 are Apipa addresses which are addresses devices assign themselves if they do not get an address lease from a DHCP server. You need to work out why it isn't getting an address. The strange DNS server you are seeing is an IPv6 address. Again your computer has not received the correct DNS settings from the DHCP server.

It is possible your other devices have static IP addresses set, or the their lease has not yet expired so that is why they are still working. Maybe your old flatmate disabled DHCP on the router and was running DHCP from another device which is now gone?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 10:32:46 am »
Should add that the lack of DHCP can also be caused by a faulty cable so try replacing that as well.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 10:39:29 am »
If you ever need a DNS server (or servers) then you can use Googles public services:  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4  (Assuming you fix your problem and get out to the internet)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 07:40:43 pm »
thanks for the replies, finally got it working

looks like there was a problem with the router, it was a technicolour tg582n which is a load of shite anyway, left everything unplugged christmas day then tried setting it up from scratch yesterday but the router kept going into a loop of losing connection and rebooting itself so went out and bought a cheap router today to see if it fixed it