Author Topic: 2017 RAWK Album Of The Year - *** THE RESULTS ARE IN ***  (Read 20110 times)

Offline loveisreal

• manloveisrealtoo. Takin' Bascombe to taskombe.
  • Kopite
Re: 2017 RAWK Album Of The Year
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2017, 09:22:54 am »
1. Jens Lekman - Life Will See You Now
2. Edgar Jones - The Song Of Day and Night
3. Big Thief - Capacity
4. Charly Bliss - Guppy
5. Laser och Bas - Historier om kärlek i okronologisk ordning, från det sexualla uppvaknandet till idag

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2017, 10:03:57 am »
These are the albums I`ve come back to the most.

1. Drab Majesty- The Demonstration.
2. Wolf Alice-Visions of a life.
3. Mastodon-Emporor of sand.
4. William Patrick Corgan-Ogilala.
5. The Black Angels-Death Song.
6. Liam Gallagher-As you were.
7. Cigarettes after sex- Cigarettes after sex.
8. The National-Sleep well beast.
9. Kurt Vile/Courtney Barnett: Lotta Sea Lice.
10. London Grammar: Truth is a wonderful things.
11. Mark Lanegan- Gargoyle.
12. The Bronx- V.
13. The War on drugs-a deeper understanding.
14. Michael Head- Adios Senior Pussycat.
15. Johnny Jewel-Windswept.
16. Arcane Roots- Melancholia Hymns.
17. Father John Misty-Pure Comedy.
18. Frank Carter and the rattlesnakes- Modern Ruin.
19. White Reaper- The World`s best American Band.
20. Noel Gallagher- Who built the moon?

Run the Jewels is 2016 I guess, but would probably be there as well. Probably Lamar as well. And I forgot the latest Robert Plant album.

Nice list mate.

Actually, RTJ3 had a 2017 physical release (although 2016 digital release). I'll allow for it's inclusion in the 2017 voting.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2017, 10:06:46 am »
15. Johnny Jewel-Windswept.

I must have missed this one, will have to check it out.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2017, 10:28:09 am »
In no particular order:

1. The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
2. The National - Sleep Well Beast
3. Arcade Fire - Everything Now
4. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
5. Future Islands - The Far Field
6. The XX - I See You
7. Feist - Pleasure
8. Broken Social Scene - Hug Of Thunder
9. London Grammar - Truth Is A Beautiful Thing
10. Gorillaz - Humanz
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:38:09 am by BarryCrocker »
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2017, 09:11:16 am »
In no particular order:

The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
Arcade Fire - Everything Now
Broken Social Scene - Hug Of Thunder
The XX - I See You
Feist - Pleasure
The National - Sleep Well Beast
Future Islands - The Far Field
London Grammar - Truth Is A Beautiful Thing

Thanks Barry. Are you happy then with me scoring your choices from highest to lowest as you've got them typed out?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2017, 09:38:32 am »
Thanks Barry. Are you happy then with me scoring your choices from highest to lowest as you've got them typed out?

Amended above. Thanks.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2017, 09:26:31 pm »
1. Michael Head – Adios Senor Pussycat
A national treasure, an institution, a genius. Best British songwriter of the last three decades? A case could very well be made. It seems almost impossible for him to make albums that aren't brilliant, and this is one of his best. For those of you that know his stuff, you know what to expect. For those that don't, check him out. Seriously. Melodic as fuck.

2. St Vincent – Masseduction
I haven't really liked the electropop direction of Annie Clark's last couple of albums that much, so I probably should have hated this one seeing as it's gone even further in that direction. Weirdly though, I love it. She's definitely gone in an even more poppy direction,but this is by no means a bad thing, and I reckon this is some of her best work. If her making a play for the big time results in more tunes like "Hang on Me" and "New York" then I'm all for it. The album might be a bit front-heavy but it's still magnificent, although I still haven't got my head around that fucking "Pills" track and probably never will...

3. Jason Eady – Jason Eady
In a year when many of what I consider the apex predators of American country and folk music songcraft – Jason Isbell, John Moreland, Chris Stapleton – released albums, it would take something pretty special to beat them in that genre. And this is special I reckon – stripped back, mostly acoustic and pedal steel guitar, pretty minimalistic instrumentally compared to much of the bullshit that seems to embody modern country music, with Eady's appropriately old-timey voice laid on top. Nowhere for the songs to hide then, but fortunately Eady's a fantastic songwriter. From the redemption allegory opener "Barrabas" to the strong but subtle anti-racism polemic "Black Jesus" to the contemplative examination-of-aging closer "40 Years," I don't think there's a misstep here.

4. Valerie June – The Order of Time
A woman who manages to channel all sorts of southern US music into a single, beguiling whole. Soul, country, blues, gospel, bluegrass, and occasional bits of funk float about in the blend, but somehow it all works, and works beautifully. A special voice, weird and nasal but absolutely gorgeous, and it does something to me deep down inside.

5. Michael Chapman – 50
2017's other renascent Michael. This is his 50th album, apparently (I only own three, so Christ knows how true that is but my mum seems to have loads so it may well be entirely correct), which is pretty bloody impressive. A lovely combination of British and primarily American folk influences with great production from Steve Gunn and some typically brilliant fingerpicked guitar from James Elkington (and Chapman's no slouch himself in this department) with Chapman's weathered vocals weaving in and out of the mix.

6. Loyle Carner – Yesterday's Gone
My favourite hip hop album of the year (I think it's been an ok year for the genre but not a classic one, despite the critics falling all over themselves to offer adulation to Kendrick Lamar and Vince Staples' LPs – I thought the high points on both were great, but they both had a few tracks that I always skipped past so...). The guy's a great lyricist – introspective without being dull or self indulgent, not a macho gangsta bling type at all and just has a fantastic way with words, espeically for one so young – he's just 21. The production's great, all minimalistic jazz and funky early 90s stuff with some perfectly-chosen samples, but very accessible. Plus, he seems like a lovely guy and is a massive red. If all that weren't enough, there's not a hint of Autotune in sight. Like, none at all.

7. Jake Xerxes Fussell – What in the Natural World
Paradise of Bachelors have some great artists on their label, but the er, "interestingly"- named Jake Xerxes Fussell was one I was completely unaware of before this year. What in the Natural World is a great collection of mostly obscure traditional folk and blues songs. William Tyler has produced it with the lightest of touches and Fussell's fingerpicking is usually to the fore with occasional augmentation, but mostly Fussell lets the songs speak for themselves. There's humour here (not all of it intentional – a sheepshagger like me can't help but snigger at the mispronunciation of Welsh place names in "Bells of Rhymney"), sadness and beauty in spades, and definitely rewards repeat listening.

8. Rhiannon Giddens – Freedom Highway
Another brilliant Americana album. I'm not sure it could necessarily be described as a political album, but there's certainly a lot on it that might be considered topical given the current racial tensions that side of the pond, as thematically it seems to be an examination of the history of the African-American experience. Musically, Freedom Highway is mostly drawn from American folk with suitably traditional instrumentation, though there are other influences here too – the modern funk of "Better Get it Right the First Time" (complete with possibly-misjudged rap), the jazzy swing of "The Love We Almost Had" and the beautiful gospel-tinged cover of the chilling, devastating "Birmingham Sunday."

9. Forest Swords – Compassion
More post-rocky dubby electronica from (one of) West Kirby's finest. I don't really listen to that much electronica these days and I've never gone that deep into the post-rock scene so may be way off base here but to me, no one else sounds quite like this guy. There are hint of DJ Shadow, Burial and Scratch Perry but mostly, this is very unique and idiosyncratically Forest Swords. It sounds like a bit of an expansion on his previous works, a bit fuller than previous releases Dagger Paths and Engravings. A bit more orchestral maybe, but with similar dusty cracked samples, chiming Leonesque guitar lines, hints of Africa and Asian instrumentation and indeterminate tribal chants, all anchored by off-kilter percussion and ominous basslines. Beautifully unsettling and surprisingly accessible.

10. Ty Segall – Ty Segall
Dude likes playing the guitar. Dude especially likes playing the guitar LOUD with scuzzy overdrive. Dude likes 60s and 70s music, and playing the guitar so it sounds like 60s and 70s music. Dude sounds a bit like Marc Bolan channelling Syd Barrett. They both played the guitar, too. Dude can't be bothered to spend to much time on writing deep and meaningful lyrics because that would get in the way of valuable time that could be spent playing the guitar.

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever – French Press (or is this an EP...)
Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives – Way Out West
Jame Elkington – Wintres Woma
Jason Isbell – The Nashville Sound
Vince Staples – Big Fish Theory
Brother Ali – All the Beauty in This Whole Life
Tyler Childers - Purgatory
Sandy (Alex G) – Rocket
Bedouine – Bedouine
Kendrick Lamar – Damn

Your Old Droog, Laurel Halo, HGM (like it but it just didn't feel like it was quite up to his normal stratospheric standards), Jay-Z, Oddisee, Margo Price, Slowdive, The National, Freddie Gibbs, John Moreland, Turnpike Troubadours, Lankum, Action Bronson, William Earl Beal, RtJ. Algiers, SZA. I really like Neil Young's Hitchhiker too, but I don't think it really counts as a 2017 album.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2017, 10:43:31 pm »
*bows*

Great list.

Also liked Algiers but it will miss out.
Agree on HGM - decent but the previous two were really strong and this wasn't quite as good.

The Welsh placenames also stood out for me on JXF...also, where's 'To the south, things are sullen,
Say the pink bells of Brecon'? I'll overlook it as it's such an infectious rendition...

Didn't realise Elkington was on the Michael Chapman album, cheekily downloaded it and never checked the credits...enjoyed Wintres Woma but chiefly just for a couple of real standout tracks...Sister of Mine especially.

I'll have to check out Jason Eady and Valerie June, never heard of them.

Liked what I've heard of Loyle Carner. Not much of a hiphop listener truth be told.

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever – French Press (or is this an EP...)

Sssh don't tell them!

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2017, 08:13:48 am »
1. Wolf Alice - Visions of a Life
2. Lorde - Melodrama
3. Paramore - After Laughter
4. Lana Del Rey - Lust for Life
5. Kasabian - For Crying Out Loud
6. The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
7. Temples - Volcano
8. Alvvays - Antisocialites
9. Gorillaz - Humanz
10. HAIM - Something to Tell You

Been a really mixed year, pretty much every album here falls into the category of good, but I liked their previous one better. Luckily a lot of records I haven't heard of in this thread so I'll definitely find something interesting later on...

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2017, 11:21:58 am »
Great list Djozer.

Currently sat at work listening to new stuff - will check out Jason Eady.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2017, 10:45:09 pm »
In no particular order:

1. The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
That's it. Keep the points ticking along

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2017, 12:36:55 am »

I'll have to check out Jason Eady

Currently sat at work listening to new stuff - will check out Jason Eady.

Do that gents, I'm intrigued to see what others make of him. Be warned though - it's pretty straight up country, no wheel reinventing here. Within those generic confines though, I loved it. Downloaded it off the strength of some random internet review I read and am bloody glad I did. Some proper earworms in there I reckon.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2017, 01:04:30 am »
The War on Drugs new one > everything else

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2017, 11:53:37 am »
Here's my Top 10:

1. Lorde - Melodrama
2. St Vincent - MASSEDUCATION
3. The National - Sleep Well Beast
4. Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger In The Alps
5. Jens Lekman - Life Will See You Now
6. Broken Social Scene - Hug Of Thunder
7. Loyle Carner - Yesterdays Gone
8. Alvvays - Antisocialites
9  Beck - Colours
10. The Moonlandingz - Interplanetary Class Classics

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2017, 01:00:00 pm »
I was feeling that 2017 hadn't been a great year for music, but then I often wonder if that is more a reflection on the year than the music. Still, as I've gone through my favourites, I've found a lot that I would be happy to listen to over and over. I'm aware that this isn't a typical RAWK list, but hope that many of you out there will find something new to enjoy.

Top 10
01 Alvvays - Antisocialites
02 Blanck Mass - World Eater
03 Public Service Broadcasting - Every Valley
04 Mogwai - Every Country's Sun
05 Cabbage - Young, Dumb and Full of....
06 Hayman Kupa Band - Hayman Kupa Band
08 Fall - New Facts Emerge
09 Slowdive - Slowdive
10 Luxembourg Signal - Blue Field

And the rest...
11 Gavin Osborn & The Comment Section - Echo Bridge
12 Paul Rooney - Futile Exercise
13 Mammoth Penguins and Friends - John Doe
14 Deerhoof - Mountain Moves
15 Wolf Alice - Visions of a Life
16 Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Luciferian Towers
17 Cuban Boys - Machines
18 REVBJELDE - REVBJELDE
19 Idles - Brutalism
20 Jesus and Mary Chain - Damage and Joy

21 Big Moon - Love in the 4th Dimension
22 Girl Ray - Earl Grey
23 Peaness - Are You Sure
24 Billy Bragg - Bridges Not Walls
25 Big Thief - Capacity
26 Grandaddy - Last Place
27 Brix & The Extricated - Part 2
28 Suggested Friends - Suggested Friends
29 Mew - Visuals
30 Pains of Being Pure at Heart - The Echo of Pleasure

31 Bedouine - Bedouine
32 Los Campesinos! - Sick Scenes
33 Grace Petrie & the PC Brigade - Heart First Aid Kit
34 National - Sleep Well Beast
35 Just Joans - You Might Be Smiling Now
36 Popguns - Sugar Kisses
37 Hannah Peel - Mary Casio; Journey to Cassiopeia
38 Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger In The Alps
39 Daniele Luppi & Parquet Courts - MILANO
40 Beck - Colors

41 Horrors - V
42 Eric Bibb - Migration Blues
43 Wire - SilverLead
44 LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
45 Breakfast Muff - Eurgh!
46 Manfred Hamil - Pidgeonhole
47 Margo Price - All American Made
48 Saint Etienne - Home Counties
49 Shit and Shine - Total Shit!
50 Otis Taylor - Fantasizing About Being Black

"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 1, 2018, 12:19:28 pm »
Oh Jeebus, haven't voted yet...better get my act together!

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 1, 2018, 08:30:51 pm »
Couldn't decide between 1 or 2. In fact I still haven't decided as I write this tonight. Home alone. Sweeeeeet. Here's to California! 6 plants you say?

It was probably Dawson's for quite a while as I hadn't heard anything to get anywhere near it (not that I was listening to as much as I would have liked - as per), but then Alvarius B's came along and

1. Alvarius B: With a Beaker and a Burner and an Otter in the Oven.

Pffft.

(Thankyou wife, son and daughter for the 3xLP for Christmas.)

2. Richard Dawson: Peasant.

Took a while. I'd pre-ordered this fucker in 'vinyl-sado geek yellow fanboy vinyl' and there was no Pigs7!!? Where are Pigs7 Richard! Where!? WHERE!? I heard a glimpse but 'shit me' could sum up my feelings on first listen. 'Yes it's all very nice Richard, but...' etc That ended up being part of its charm in the end. I think he's magical. Have listened to it about 40 times and I've still got more to go. There's no fucking way you're not on full volume for 'Weaver' either. Been a go-to song.

3. Harry Pye and Francis MacDonald: Bonjour!

It's a very odd feeling to have a friends actual album that he's properly released on like a record an' shit and not heard on a C-90 and laughed about it or something, and it gets even odder to have it inspire about 2 days of full grieving meltdown. Literally on repeat beginning to end for 2-3 days. Tailored off into a week of treipidation perhaps but after that - gone. Doubt I'll listen again. Wonderful album by a truly wonderful man. More Harry MORE!!!

4. Shit 'n Shine: Total Shit!

I want to go to the Cropped Out Music Festival in Louisville Kentucky.

Song of the year is probably Shit 'n Shine's 'I Hate This Fucking Machine' really. Not 'The Weaver'. Can't be arsed to link it I have a rant coming on...

Two laptops. Both shite. This is mostly this year now... Two laptops... mine you can only do html. Hers crashes, or she's on it, or they're on it. Phone: Twitter, The Independent, and Anfield Wrap just doesn't really work. Takes 20 mins some nights fiddling about trying to listen to TAW when I go to bed. *points*  The oven. The vacuum cleaner. That fucking vacuum cleaner.

The kids and their lust to being connected to machines. Yeah I've had enough too.

5. GNOD:

Probably Gnod. As a single, their Bodies For Money track released in January was probably their best moment, and aybe the years, but it felt about 3 months too late. That was the one that helped clear a throat after you're watching America getting taken over by Donald Drumpf on television. Still.. Go California!

Can't confirm anything else beyond that. Jane Weaver, Idles, Protomartyr. I listened to The Fall alot. Lots of old jazz. Ween etc. The Rebel. But it's been an odd year.

Here's to Alan Bishop though. *raised goblet and a smoke*
« Last Edit: January 1, 2018, 09:30:23 pm by Filler. »

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #97 on: January 1, 2018, 09:15:14 pm »
I have enjoyed this year's offerings. Some strong albums just missed the cut, but here it goes:

1.) Depeche Mode - Spirit
2.) Manchester Orchestra - A black mile to the surface
3.) The National - Sleep well beast
4.) Slowdive - Slowdive
5.) Ride - Weather diaries
6.) Spiral Stairs - Doris and the daggers
7.) Japandroids - Near to the wild side of life
8.) The war on drugs - A deeperunderstanding
9.) Noel Gallagher  - Who built the moon
10.) Liam Gallagher - As you are

Roll on 2018.

[Nobody cares what phone you have and that you are using the free version of Tapatalk]

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #98 on: January 2, 2018, 08:36:34 pm »
What a nice surprise, it turns I listened to a lot more great albums then I thought this year with my top spot reserved for the greatest band on the planet right now

1. War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
2. IDLES - Brutalism
3. Protomartyr - Relatives in Descent
4. Alex Cameron - Forced Witness
5. Big Thief - Capacity
6. Kevin Morby - City Music
7. Richard Dawson - Peasant
8. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
9. Slowdive - Slowdive
10. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - The French Press

11. A. Savage - Thawing Dawn
12. Priests - Nothing Feels Natural
13. Hiss Golden Messenger - Hallelujah Anyhow
14. Japandroids - Near to the Wild Heart of Life
15. Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile - Lotta Sea Lice

And in no order...

John Maus - Screen Memories
Marika Hackman - I'm Not Your Man
Trevor Sensor- Andy Warhol's Dream
Gnod - Just Say No To The Psycho Right-Wing Capitalist Industrial Death Machine Tyler
The Creator Flower Boy
(Sandy) Alex G - Rocket
Brockhampton - Saturation III
Girlpool - Powerplant
Ryan Adams - Prisoner
Pond - The Weather
Wall - Untitled
Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
Japanese - Soft Sounds From Another Planet
Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
Arca - Arca
agabon - Infinite Worlds
Blanck Mass - World Eater
The Clientele - Music for the Age of Miracles
Clark - Death Peak
METZ - Strange Peace
Pharmakon - Contact

Best gigs...

1. Japandroids
2. Protomartyr
3. Young Fathers
4. Priests
5. Parquet Courts
6. Vince Staples
7. Vulfpeck
8. Alex Cameron
9. Cass Mccombs
10. Car Seat Headrest

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 2, 2018, 10:43:26 pm »
Loving these lists, everyone. Loads I seem to have missed, so it seems I have far too much listening to catch up on. Filler - your posts, as ever, are a hilarious madcap joy to read. I empathise with your machine problems too, they're all bastards of the very highest order. Hopefully they take over properly soon and relegate us to the position of tank-grown sustenance, so we won't have to worry about them pissing us about any more.

Can't wait to see WOD's final inevitable victory, and the subsequent outpourings of joy/howls of visceral rage. Wish I'd voted for them now, just to make sure.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #100 on: January 3, 2018, 01:52:30 am »
1. TORRES - Three Futures

Expressionistic and restrained, playful and dead serious, stark and vague - this is an album of great juxtapositions that still feels complete and totally coherent with fantastic delivery and end result. It's avanti and revolutionary, but also a straight forward pop album.

It's both personal and universal, and in some ways an innovative commentary on politics, gender roles, and sexuality in 2017.

I am not a righteous woman
I am more of an ass man

A work of art that's simultaneously better and stranger than the sum of its parts. My album of the year is a bit of an experience.

2. Dolce - Av Liv Och Grönska

Swedish nature romanticism. When I listen to Vårvisa it's a confirmation of that I made the right decision in moving back to the motherland after seven years abroad.

3. Kid Francescoli - Play Me Again

This is what I imagine what Saint Etienne would sound like if they started in 2017. Sweet and romantic with melancholy undertones. Expertly mixed and produced. This was my summer soundtrack just like many Saint Etienne albums before. Moon is pretty much a perfect pop song, but the album is nice and even throughout.

4. Cende - #1 Hit Single

I fell in love at first few chords of Bed.

5. Makthaverskan - III

There's something with det svenska tungsinnet [the Swedish tender sadness or pensive melancholia]. It's in Makthaverskan's dream punk for sure and Maja Milner's voice goes to the heart without even trying. Songs about impossible love or love as an impossibility, the melodies are right up there with their previous masterpiece.

6. Alvvays - Antisocialiites

I like everything about Alvvays. They make fantastic songs and seem to be the nicest people ever. Their debut was my number one back in 2014. This one's top drawer stuff as well.

7. Big Thief - Capacity

Another band that has been album of the year. Last year's took me by storm. By now I knew what they were capable of. According to Adrienne their music is about "the process of harnessing pain, loss, and love, while simultaneously letting go, looking into your own eyes through someone else’s, and being okay with the inevitability of death." On point.

8. Girl Ray - Earl Grey

Unadulterated indie. Sadness and longing and sweet melodies and jangling guitars.

9. The Shins - Heartworms

The Shins was my favourite band around 2003. Heartworms makes me remember why.

10. The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding

Sultans Of Swing by Dire Straits is one of my favourite songs of all time. Holding On is a reincarnation. Decent album as a whole.

« Last Edit: January 3, 2018, 02:32:54 am by telekon »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #101 on: January 3, 2018, 08:28:56 am »
1. Arcade Fire - Everything Now
2. Gorillaz - Humanz
3. The National - Sleep Well Beast
4. Kele Okereke - Fatherland
5. Killers - Wonderful Wonderful
6. Everything Everything - A Fever Dream
7. Kasabian - For Crying Out Loud
8. Wolf Alice - Visions of A Life

I haven't had time to listen to all that many new albums this year but I will as ever read this thread and explore some new stuff :wave

Now added the National. Lovely album.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2018, 02:06:40 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #102 on: January 3, 2018, 11:18:35 am »
1. Plunge – Fever Ray

Fever Ray took on a whole new direction on her new album and the result is as stunning as her previous work. Gone is the brooding atmosphere and slower tempo of her self-titled LP for a more fun and vibrant sound, while still maintaining her unique voice and edginess. If her previous album was the sound of isolation this is the sound of liberation. It took me quite a few listens to really appreciate the new direction but it was definitely worth it.

2. Capacity – Big Thief

What a devastatingly gorgeous record this is. Lenker gentle voice and words take you through the most intimate and painful passages of her life, and the band accompanies her in such an accomplished and empathic way that you just can’t help to be overwhelmed by the cathartic beauty of it all.

3. Nothing Feels Natural - Priests

The current political climate asked for an album likes this. A politically charged punk record that is incredible poignant and self-assured, and catchy as fuck. Katie Alice Greer amazing “Rock N Roll” voice and lyrics are the band biggest strengths, but the rest of the band are tight as fuck and complement her vocals perfectly, especially GL Jaguar soaring guitar work.

4. A Deeper Understanding – The War on Drugs

There is something so elusive about The War on Drugs sound that makes their music feel so alive and so addictive. On this record they continue trying to perfect this sound instead of changing it, the layers on layers of guitars and synths punctuated by those heart popping guitar solos that you just can’t quite figure out. While I had some problems initially with the similarity on sound and structure to previous works, this album just feels so much more intimate and more powerful because of it.

5. The Weather Station - The Weather Station

Tamara Lindeman’s self-produced folk album is her best work to date. Her songwriting is as strong as ever but her voice is much more confident and the stunning arrangements fill out and enhance those songs to no end. This is a stunner. 

6. Crack-Up – Fleet Foxes

Fleet Floxes continue their great run of albums. While Pecknold’s songwriting keeps evolving in complexity their sound still remains as strong ever. This album isn’t as accessible as their debut or even their follow up, but it’s much more rewarding. The arrangements and the texture on this album are just gorgeous, and the songs just get better with every listen.

7. Slowdive – Slowdive

I don’t think I can add more to what’s been said about this. Just a stunning album with amazing songs and absolutely no fat. The best comeback album in ages.

8. Joan Shelley – Joan Shelley

Her voice just gets me. There is nothing groundbreaking here, just an Incredible beautiful and elegant folk album with great songs by an amazing vocalist and guitar player.

9. Antisocialites – Alvvays

The latest addition to the top 10. Such a fun and catchy indie record, got me hooked immediately. The songs are just great and it would probably be placed higher had I got it earlier.

10. Rocket – (Sandy) Alex G

Bit mad this, isn’t it? Don’t think I’ve heard a record that goes through so many different genres on a song to song basis quite like this. It’s definitely inconsistent and it doesn’t have the greatest of flows, but the good parts are just so good that I couldn’t leave it out.

Honorable mentions:

11. Cigarettes After Sex - Cigarettes After Sex

12. The OOZ – King Krule

13. This Old Dog – Mac DeMarco

14. Three Futures – Torres

15. Pure Comedy – Father John Misty

« Last Edit: January 3, 2018, 11:24:27 am by Lastrador »

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #103 on: January 3, 2018, 12:04:31 pm »
2017 was a momentous year for me and with so much going on I hadn’t realised what a great year it had been for music until I was listening back to some of the albums that I bought. Radio 6 was my main source of music and Tom Ravenscroft is really  great for new music ( must be in the genes) he introduced the track of the year for me, Kamasi Washington’s ‘Truth’ a sprawling 15 minute  jazz/film score epic which is so uplifting. It comes from an excellent ep and had it been allowed would have been my No.1 spot.
I had my number album 1 nailed for months, however, with playing my other albums so much past few weeks it came in a lot closer with goal difference separating the top 3. Think the top ten might have also been different if I had laid my hands on some records I wanted to (Mick Head , Lorde etc) but never got round too.
 So without further ado…..

“ Hello?...Hello?....This is Amsterdam Netherlands and here are the votes for RAWK Album of the year for 2017, We award 10 points too…..”

1.Peasant – Richard Dawson.

First heard a snippet of a track on Radio 6 and straight away I thought “what’s that!!?” Its not to everyone’s taste as its not formulaic, I does take a few plays to get into but its worth it. He’s a maverick and it’s a joy for someone to punch through with a musical style that doesn’t fit in with everything around it. It made me smile, like a lot of my music has this year

2. Drunk – Thundercat

Top a few lists this and I’m not surprised, classy accessible jazz/soul ..and in my book more soul…there’s a couple of Jazz Odyssey bits but mostly its cool soul..and funny as fuck…the line “ ..I think I left my wallet at club’ made me burst out laughing…mad as a bag of cats and would probably love to be in there with them.

3 New Energy – Four Tet

Almost done a Derby County 1975 here and came up on the blind side in past few weeks for the No.1 spot ... sublime, sumptuous pieces of electronic music

4. English Tapas – Sleaford Mods

We need this, snarling , caustic and funny music

5. Massuduction - St.Vincent

Cracking New Yoik elctro pop and the New York Single a brilliant simple song that deserved its success. Watch this girl, world-wide stardom awaits.

6. Cost of Living – Down town boys
7. Flying Microtinal Bannaba -  King Gizzard and the lizard wizard
8. Interplanetary class classics  - Moonlandingz

These three could be interchanged in their positions…all great rock roll, great fun and boss tunes

9. Vison of a life - Wolf Alice

Got this on recommendation’s here, nice dark pop.

10. Republique Amazon - Les Amazones D'Afrique

African female artists making great music
« Last Edit: January 3, 2018, 03:50:07 pm by Flashing Through The Snow In One Horse Open Blade »

Offline Alucard

• Tnuoc
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 3, 2018, 10:45:20 pm »
1. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
2. Run the Jewels - RTJ3
3. Jay-Z - 4:44
4. Tyler, The Creator - Flower Boy
5. SZA - Ctrl
6. Future - HNDRXX
7. Sampha - Process
8. Migos - Culture
9. Lil Uzi Vert - Luv is Rage 2
10. Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 4, 2018, 05:36:25 am »

Cheers for your list Telekon. Numbers 2-5 were al new to me and I'm enjoying them now!
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #106 on: January 4, 2018, 07:02:00 am »
Cheers for your list Telekon. Numbers 2-5 were al new to me and I'm enjoying them now!

Nice to hear it mate! It was Brooklyn on here that gave me the Cende tip by the way.  :thumbup
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline bigal

• Not Bi. Or a Gal for that matter.
  • Kopite
  • Allez les rouges
« Reply #107 on: January 4, 2018, 09:25:32 pm »
1. Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound
2. Slowdive - Slowdive
3. The Clientele - Music For The Age Of Miracles
4. Wolf Alice - Visions Of A Life
5. War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
6. The National - Sleep Well Beast
7. Jake Xerxes Fussell - What In The Natural World
8. Josh Ritter - Gathering
9. Paramore - After Laughter
10.Sam Outlaw - Tenderheart

Two strong EPs would have been right up there if they could count. Kamasi Washington's Truth was the single best piece of music by miles in 2017, a masterpiece. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever's French Press was also a solid EP as well as outstanding title track.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 5, 2018, 01:23:52 pm »
1. Parquet Courts with Daniele Luppi - Milano
2. Idles - Brutalism
3. Kendrick Lamar - Damn
4. Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile - Lotta Sea Lice
5. Cloud Nothings - Modern Act
6. Queens of the Stone Age - Villains
7. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 3
8. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
9. Arcade Fire - Everything Now
10. A. Savage - Thawing Dawn

Alt J just missed out for me too. Also might have put in Big Thief, Rolling Blackouts Costal Fever, Protomartyr, Gorrillaz, Liam Gallagher, DFA 1979 and Laura Marling but the ones above are the ones I enjoyed the most.

My favorite tune of the year is Miami by Baxter Dury

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 5, 2018, 07:04:04 pm »
Sorry been sick or else this would've been in before the year changed. Thanks a million Zee for hooking this up.  :wanker Sorry for the ramble.

1 - Richard Dawson - Peasant

Album of the year, gig of the year. From start to finish it's just perfect. Flashing Blade called it Polyphonic Spree doing Catweazle. I'd throw in a via, Ennio Morricone, the Wicker Man and Captain Beefheart. He's just making folk music in a way nobody else does. Spends years in libraries researching lyrics, plays guitar with more imagination than anyone else and has a voice that can go up, down, sideways whatever way you want.  Given me more joy than any record has in years. I urge everyone to give it a chance, and maybe a second chance.

2 - Man Forever - Play What They Want

Drummer from Oneida carving real grown up slabs of music. Loads of drums and really rich rhythm patterns, jazz piano, eastern bits, stand up bass, synths - surprisingly poppy and playful. Headphones album of the year. Guests appearance from Yo La Tengo (on Nothing Then Turned Itself Inside Out form - track of the year!!) and Laurie Anderson.

3 - Daniel O Sullivan - Veld

Grumbling Fur guy with a psychedelic pop album that just keeps on giving. Loads of ideas, and best vocal production of the year. He just keeps getting better.

4 - Davey Kehoe - Short Passing Game

There's loads of amazing small label lo-fi electronic/post-punk stuff going on in Dublin at the minute. I'm having great fun awkwardly sticking out like a sore thumb at all their gigs - these kids are cool as fuck, alas I am not.  Wah Wah Wino is a label to keep an eye on.  Davey Kehoe is the jewel in the crown. Irish album of the year I reckon - really instinctive and inituitive, sounds like he's just having the craic. When so much music and its listeners (hello!) is po faced as fuck, great when lads have it oozing out their skin, effortless.

5 - Jane Weaver - Modern Cosmology

She is just so fucking good at this and in her mid 40s is getting better (Although this doesn't quite hit the heights Electric Mountain). Komische Krauty Folk Electro Pop. She crams them all in, but never forced. Pure craft. Added a bit of clarity to the production to sucker in the Guardian set too. That's okay - the Architect is still the kitchen anthem in my house.

6 - James Holden and the Animal Spirits - James Holden and the Animal Spirits

For this, James Holden (ex-Superstar DJ, Maths Graduate) wrote his own software so his synths could feel and sound more like they were being played live by a human. Not sure you've ever heard him being interviewed but he seems like a nutter and an absolutely terrific fella. Could be remixing records and making millions in Ibiza or wherever you do these things now.  But he wants to do what he does in a band.  What a dude, what a dream to have - to take all your superstar DJ/Electronic God stuff and just be in a fucking band - essentially the same dream I've always had, to be in a band. The album is all recorded in single takes, partly improvised with a great drummer and multi instrumentalists. It's feckin great, melodic, accessible, full to the brim with ideas - he's calling it folk trance.

7 - Gnod - Just Say No To The Psycho Right-​Wing Capitalist Fascist Industrial Death Machine

Album title of the year. Delighted punk is having a bit of a renewal and embracing technology.

"A wanna be a stick in the wheel, don't wanna be a cog in the machine"

8 - SACRED PAWS - Strike A Match

Charming little album, afrobeat inspired indie pop from a very talented pair of women. Great players, drummer is unreal. Probably didn't rattle many cages, Vampire Weekend maybe did it better (I have no idea if I've even ever bothered to hear Vampire Weekend) but it stayed with me for a lot of the year. They're singing songs about wishing they could see each other and practice more, simple stuff. But it's hooky, has a supporting role for some lovely brass and a gauranteed smile on my face whenever it comes on.

9 - Jimmy Cake - Tough Love

Another Irish album. One hour long tune. Goes through a kind out dark Krauty Techno with early Animal Collective meets the Orb style chanting first half hour (Drumming is unbelievable for one person), followed by a Om inspired doom metal half hour. Let's be honest - It's the type of one I go bananas recommending, one person thinks 'why not?', listens to it ... and resolves to never listen to anything I recommend ever again.  I loved it though.

Oxbow - Thin Black Duke

Thanks Alonso - I would've skipped this! It's a banger, by a mile the best they've done.

Also really enjoyed....

Justing Walter - Unseen Forces (Highly Recommend)
Hannah Peel - Mary Casio (Just missed top 10)
Alvarus B - With A Beaker ... (Too late in the year and too long to make the list but it's fantastic - Thanks Filler)
Arbouretum - Song Of The Rose (Really underrated band)
Shit n’Shine - Total Shit
Circle - Terminal
Earth/The Bug - Concrete Desert
Pallbearer
Darren Hayman - Thankful Villages
Here Lies Man
Pigs x7 - Feed The Rats
Hey Colossus - The Guillotine
Part Chimp - IV
Thurston Moore - Rock n Roll Consciousness
The Fall
Omni
Laurel Halo
Benedict Drew - Crawling Through Tory Slime
Jake Xerxes Fussell (Thanks Nick!)
+ loads I'm forgetting

Would have been happy with any of them in my top 10.  Highly recommend.

Only listened to both these albums once for different reasons.

Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me  - All about his wife's death, very direct and earnest, too hard to listen to again.

Usa/Mexico - Laredo - I'm just preserving this listening experience in time.  It was too perfect, the most batshit album I heard this year - I was rolling around the floor, smiling, revulsed, delighted.  What a night. (Again thanks Filler)

Gigs

1 Richard Dawson
2 RFTC
3 Xyloris White
4 Woven Skull with loads of other people
5 Earth/The Bug
« Last Edit: January 8, 2018, 07:47:31 am by Chip Evans »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #110 on: January 6, 2018, 06:18:29 am »
1. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
2. St Vincent - MASSEDUCTION
3. GAS - Narkopop
4. Laura Marling - Semper Femina
5. Kurt Vile and Courtney Barnett - Lotta Sea Lice
6. Susanna Sundfor - Music for People in Trouble
7. Ulver - Assassination of Julius Caesar
8. Margo Price - All American Made
9. Mew - Visuals
10. Lorde - Melodrama

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #111 on: January 6, 2018, 11:28:53 am »
Great stuff, Chip. So much to check out. That Oneida drummer's album totally passed me by.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 6, 2018, 11:59:40 am »
Got to get my arse in gear. Tonight hopefully.

Julie Byrne making a late run on the outside, cracking LP.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #113 on: January 6, 2018, 01:15:58 pm »
Got to get my arse in gear. Tonight hopefully.

Julie Byrne making a late run on the outside, cracking LP.

Looking forward to your list.

It is a great album. If you haven't done already, check out her first LP.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 6, 2018, 02:46:17 pm »
1. Irreversible Entanglements -'Irreversible Entanglements'
2. Alfa Mist -'Antiphon'
3. The Black Angels -'Death Song'
4. Tony Allen -'The Source'
5. Nubya Garcia -'Nubya's 5ive'
6. Vieux Farka  Touré -'Samba'
7. Trio Da Kali and Kronos Quartet -'Ladilikan'
8. Tinariwen - 'Elwan'
9. Hammock - 'Mysterium'
10. Electric Moon - 'Stardust Rituals'
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 7, 2018, 09:54:34 am »
1.   The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
2.   Jake Xerxes Fussell - What In The Natural World
3.   Michael Chapman – 50
4.   Woods – Love is Love
5.   The National - Sleep Well Beast
6.   Margo Price – All American Made
7.   Hiss Golden Messenger – Hallelujah Anyhow
8.   Jason Isbell & The 400 Units - The Nashville Sound
9.   Arcade Fire – Everything Now
10.   Michael Nau – Some Twist
11.   Valerie June – The Order of Time
12.   Father John Misty - Pure Comedy
13.   Hurray for the Riffraff – The Navigator
14.   Conor Oberst – Salutations
15.   Songhoy Blues - Resistance
16.   Kevin Morby – City Music
17.   Tinariwen - Elwan
18.   Foxygen – Hang
19.   Destroyer - ken
20.   Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band – Adios Senor Pussycat
21.   Peter Matthew Bauer – Mount Qaf (Divine Love)
22.   Future Island – The Far Field
23.   Ryan Adams – Prisoner
24.   Mac De Marco – This Old Dog
25.   Matthew E. White – Gentlewoman, Ruby Man

If Kamasi Washington's record were a full album not an EP, I would have put it in my top 5. 'Truth' is just fucking sublime.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 7, 2018, 10:28:18 am »
Good list Seebab. I suspect there'll be a rather large crossover with mine ;D

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #117 on: January 7, 2018, 02:12:02 pm »
Oh Jeebus, haven't voted yet...better get my act together!

c'mon ya big tart ,get it sorted...jeezuz its like waiting for your missus to go out, sat there with your coat on for 15 mins why she decides to change her dress!!...and I'm fucking watching you, I will be taking names...already got Seebab and a few others!

great to see 'Truth' get a few shouts...listening to it now, glass of wine , sun shining over the waterways of the Ij...feeling hip....but not as hip as you dudes, with your long lank hair, RAF Blue army and navy coats, flairs Loons and jeesus boots...walking along, smugly holding your WOD albums under yoru arm to the 6th form common room..........WAAAAHHHH!!! :D
« Last Edit: January 7, 2018, 06:05:30 pm by Flashing Through The Snow In One Horse Open Blade »

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: January 8, 2018, 08:02:23 am »
That Oneida drummer's album totally passed me by.

It's really great, bit of a slow burner so make sure to give it a quiet hour.  Clicked with me the evening of the Maribor 7-0, was wandering down to a friend's house and ended up just walking around for an extra 20 minutes to hear it all.  Was 3-0 by the time I sat down to watch the match. Worth it though. 

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 8, 2018, 11:12:22 am »

Cheers mate. Looking forward to seeing yours as always.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow