Author Topic: 2017 RAWK Album Of The Year - *** THE RESULTS ARE IN ***  (Read 20104 times)

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
2017 RAWK Album Of The Year - *** THE RESULTS ARE IN ***
« on: November 28, 2017, 04:35:14 pm »
Good day fellow Rawkers,

It's time for the most prestigious award in music - the RAWK Album of the Year 2017. 

The year 2016 saw a tight race at the top but in the end it was the late, great David Bowie who edged out Radiohead for the title of RAOTY. How will the 2017 voting go I wonder? I'm anticipating an even tighter contest between several albums with no clear cut favourite.

The rules are the same as always. Okkervil created something pretty special so why fix something if it isn't broken.

Over to Okkervil for the rules:

There is still plenty of time to formulate lists but *Voting will close on Friday, 12 January 2018 at 23:59* ...

Remember, all types of music, styles and genres are welcome  :wave

So with no further ado...

The Rules
1. You can list as many albums as you like but only the top 10 will score points and they must be in order.
2. People that list less than 10 albums will still score points. However 5 albums or less will result in a restricted points tally for that list, but a number one album will always score maximum points.
3. For the most part no live or compilation albums.
4. Lists can be amended/changed right up to the closing date. If you replace an album on your list with another please let me know what album has been removed. Or if you shimmy the order of your list about, let me know what albums have moved positions.
5. After some debate last year, this year EP's are banned.

A little more on eligibility...
Albums must have a 2017 UK release date. You can check Amazon for release dates if you are not too sure.
Compilations and live albums are banned if they are a collection of previously released stuff but are admissible otherwise. Re-issues are frowned upon and will result in referral to the third umpire, and no EP's.

Scoring
The Formula One style scoring system will remain in place for RAWKites selections. People's top 10 albums will score as follows:- 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1.

Discussion
Is to be encouraged. Some people get a bit precious about their choices so be nice, but at the end of the day what are you on RAWK for if it's not to snipe at other RAWKites with scorn and derision?  In particular feel free to stick any magazine or website Top 10's, Top 50's etc on here as they may help jog our memories.

If you'd like to see what the fine folk on RAWK have been tappin' their toes to this year have a looky in the below:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=330912.0

And to jog your memory here's how David Bowie won the award last year:

1 - David Bowie - Blackstar   251                                 
2 - Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool    221                                 
3 - Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker.   159                                 
4 - Bon Iver - 22, A Million   135                                 
5 - Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree   112                                 
6 - Whitney - Light Upon The Lake   108                                 
7 - Car Seat Headrest – Teens Of Denial   85                                 
8 - Angel Olsen - My Woman   85                                 
9 - Cass Mccombs - Mangy Love   78
10 - Frank Ocean - Blonde / endless   77   

And the roll of honour

2016:   David Bowie - Blackstar
2015:   Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
2014:   The War On Drugs - Lost In A Dream
2013:   Arcade Fire - Reflektor
2012:   Chromatics - Kill for Love
2011:   PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
2010:   Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
2009:   Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
2008:   Kings of Leon - Only By The Night
2007:   The National - Boxer
2006:   Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:45:21 am by Zee_26 »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2017 RAWK Album Of The Year
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 05:20:38 pm »
Yes mate, nice one for getting it rolling!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 06:26:36 pm »
Bookmarked to steal all the cool kids likings and pass them off as my own ;D ;D

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 06:29:23 pm »
Great news, nice one Zee :)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 06:31:42 pm »
Found a couple of nice albums from the 2017 thread. I don't listen to anywhere near as much as some on here, so when I get round to it it'll have to be a Top 5.

Gonna make an effort to really follow the music thread from now on, some really great shouts on there.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 06:36:06 pm »
Bookmarked to steal all the cool kids likings and pass them off as my own ;D ;D

Same. Missed last year's for the first time in near enough a decade, so shalln't make the same mistake again.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 10:11:36 pm »
Well done, Zee. Much appreciated :)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #9 on: December 1, 2017, 11:02:52 am »
Run The Jewels 3. 2016 or 2017?

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 1, 2017, 11:06:17 am »
Run The Jewels 3. 2016 or 2017?

Released digitally at the end of 2016, but physically in Jan 2017. Could be a tough one for the judges, but I would say it should count for 2017.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 1, 2017, 11:10:16 am »
2017 - it got disallowed for last years list IIRC.  They broke their own release date digitally as it leaked.  The physical date stayed the same - 2017.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2017, 11:13:17 am by Chip Evans »

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #12 on: December 1, 2017, 11:18:52 am »
Good stuff. Cheers, lads.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 1, 2017, 01:30:07 pm »

2008:   Kings of Leon - Only By The Night

Did that happen? It might well be the worst KOL album, only has about 3 decent tracks.

We've been spoilt this year, looking forward to re listening to some albums from earlier in the year now that the hype has died down!
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 1, 2017, 02:38:06 pm »
Did that happen? It might well be the worst KOL album, only has about 3 decent tracks.

We've been spoilt this year, looking forward to re listening to some albums from earlier in the year now that the hype has died down!
Before my time on RAWK mate. I suspect that years thread may have been a trap set by the mods to ban all those with bad taste.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 2, 2017, 12:00:59 am »

There has always been a silent majority of dad rock lovers on RAWK. Name and shame. ;D

Speaking of which - https://medium.com/@joshuacopperman1/what-your-favorite-2017-album-says-about-you-fb0f176ba3fc
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 2, 2017, 12:19:54 am »
unashamedly will be picking WoD as number one. Come at me bro.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 2, 2017, 12:38:25 am »

I know I take the piss and all that but to each their own. :)
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 2, 2017, 08:44:12 pm »
;D
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #19 on: December 2, 2017, 08:47:11 pm »
Drab Majesty- The Demonstration.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #20 on: December 3, 2017, 11:53:09 am »
Don’t think Arcade Fire is going to complete a hat trick this ear though I do like their newest album.

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #21 on: December 3, 2017, 04:31:40 pm »
1. Humanz - Gorillaz
2. More Life - Drake
3. Migration - Bonobo
4. Cigarettes After Sex - Cigarettes After Sex
5. French Kiwi Juice - FKJ

« Last Edit: December 3, 2017, 04:34:53 pm by Poet »
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #22 on: December 3, 2017, 06:38:55 pm »
Don’t think Arcade Fire is going to complete a hat trick this ear though I do like their newest album.

Hopefully not.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 3, 2017, 06:41:13 pm »
Hopefully not.

I think we're safe. Seems like it was less well received than usual.

I still feel a wanker for believing all the fake news promos they did. I could so easily have imagined them trying to trademark the 'millenial whoop' :lmao so fair play to them for having me off like that at least.  ;D

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 4, 2017, 09:57:56 am »
Quietus list is up. They've attempted to put it into a readable text format for a change too.  Still have to scroll for half an hour to find out who's number 1 but I appreciate their effort.   

http://thequietus.com/articles/23660-albums-of-the-year-2017

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #25 on: December 4, 2017, 11:41:49 am »
I still feel a wanker for believing all the fake news promos they did.

yeah, gotta sting that.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 4, 2017, 11:55:01 am »
yeah, gotta sting that.

I have many moments in life where I've been proven to be an absolute divvy, and this is just one more to add to the list ;D

Quietus list is up. They've attempted to put it into a readable text format for a change too.  Still have to scroll for half an hour to find out who's number 1 but I appreciate their effort.   

http://thequietus.com/articles/23660-albums-of-the-year-2017

I really have to get the Richard Dawson album. Quite a few on there I'd like to investigate, and lots I know will be far too noisy for me!

I just really don't listen to anything with too much aggression at home these days - take The Moonlandingz for example, I saw them live and they were absolutely phenomenal, one of the best shows I saw this year. I've given the album a few listens but I just wouldn't play that kind of record at home very often, I just listen to 'The Strangle of Anna' on one of my monthly playlists instead. I need quite sedate stuff, the house already is chaotic so chaos plus chaos just bends my head too much. I've become quite middle aged I suppose, just listening to the ballads ;D If I could get out on the bike more I'd have more listening time for the upbeat stuff, maybe that's what I should aim at for next year.

I appreciate the qualities of the music but I just don't make room for it in my life. Also as I play music myself, being behind a drumkit a couple of times a week is all the loud and discordant dosage I require in life.

Expect a fairly sedate selection from me for 2017 ;D

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 4, 2017, 12:08:05 pm »
Sam if you cant listen to the raunchy stuff and if you havent got it already I strongly recommend the Four Tet CD....very chilled ( are we still allowed to say 'chilled'?)

If you havent got Peasant be advised it will take a few plays to 'bed in'...and doesn't sound like your lifestyle allows the time.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 4, 2017, 02:03:13 pm »
I just really don't listen to anything with too much aggression at home these days - take The Moonlandingz for example, I saw them live and they were absolutely phenomenal, one of the best shows I saw this year. I've given the album a few listens but I just wouldn't play that kind of record at home very often, I just listen to 'The Strangle of Anna' on one of my monthly playlists instead. I need quite sedate stuff, the house already is chaotic so chaos plus chaos just bends my head too much. I've become quite middle aged I suppose, just listening to the ballads ;D If I could get out on the bike more I'd have more listening time for the upbeat stuff, maybe that's what I should aim at for next year.

I can understand that for sure. I guess I'm quite fortunate in that I can listen to music as I work.  My little one is even more opinionated about music than you lads. But she's no John Peel and doesn't like songs with male singers. She wont budge from that position - she's like a tiny Flashing Blade only instead of the WOD, she's against all men.  Not all bad, Julia Holter, Cate Le Bon, Stereolab, Jane Weaver they all get a pass but I lead a double life where I increasingly rebel against my family at work and listen to increasingly loud stuff.  The Richard Dawson album,  which isn't loud, can clear my kitchen in the first 4 notes too - they all really hate it.  Tough going - buying a record on Friday for the Saturday morning listen used to be most sacred part of the week - it's been upended by a 3 year old.

Hope you grab the Richard Dawson album.  Best gig and album of the year for me. Hope loads of people get into him now, he really deserves it. A one off. 

Online FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 4, 2017, 02:29:24 pm »
I like the cut of her jib!!

On side note my lad bought his first vinyl last week a Panic at the Disco Lp ( could be worse...mine was 'Ooh aka-do aka day' by Gilbert O'sullivan)....and has been exploring some of mine...look forward to fighting over the deck.

I told him he will always remember this day ( he didnt get why) ...you first vinyl memory  is up there with your first game.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 4, 2017, 02:56:59 pm »
On side note my lad bought his first vinyl last week ...

That's a great milestone to hit - good for him. Can remember mine vividly. Bought for me - cassette single, was Billy Ocean Get Outta My Dreams and with my own pocket money was The Way We Walk - Genesis live album. Used to go round the living room doing the walk from the video. Been a fetishist ever since.

Online FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 4, 2017, 04:01:14 pm »
with my own pocket money was The Way We Walk - Genesis live album. 

Yeah, dont feel so bad about " Ooh aka do aka day" now.

My second vinyl purchase few months later was 'Slayed' so I felt I redeemed myself

My first ever vinyl was bought for me by my parents " Ken Dodd and the Diddymen"....one side was the Diddymen story the other, folk songs covered by the Diddy men like " Diddycome Fayre"....some 50 years later Peasant doesnt seem that different

Online ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #32 on: December 6, 2017, 01:28:11 pm »
Pretty straight forward for me this year. All of my choices are bands I was already aware of before 2017. Good in that bands I love and know are still knocking out great albums but it would have been nice to discover new music that grabbed me. I did discover Slow Readers Club and but their last album was 2015. Wolf Alice's new album is decent but didn't quite crack my top 10. On a different note, the Brand New album would have been fairly high up in my list, but alas  :-\.

1. LCD Soundsystem - american dream

They can honestly do no wrong. Had a stag do in Budapest this year and blasted this album out on one of those tourist beer bike things. Made it slightly less shameful.

2. Sólstafir - Berdreyminn

This album has got me through some pretty long days in work. Unlike their previous albums, took me a few listens for this to fully register. Once it did, phwaor.

3. The National - Sleep Well Beast

Surprised this has not made more top of the year lists. Not to sure if it has suffered from its own commercial success because it's a stunning album.

4. Blanck Mass - World Eater

When trying to tempt my mates to come to the Kitchen Street gig the other week, I described this as "glitchy industrial rave music". The one mate who took me on the offer said it was a fitting description  ;D

5. Spoon - Hot Thoughts

Was really scared this album would disappoint. It didn't. Easy accessible indie music with subtleties reminiscent of Radiohead.

6. Afghan Whigs - In Spades

Their last album took a bit of hit. I loved it though, so was expecting more of them same. They gave more of the same. Great gig at The Ritz too.

7. Cloud Nothings - Life Without Sound

This band could fart and I would think it's great. Another amazing gig in the Deaf Institute earlier in the year that carried over the energy from the album well.

8. War On Drugs - The War On Drugs

Only reason why this album is not higher is it fades in the second half for me. The guitar tone on the second song is something else.

9. Slowdive - Slowdive

Was looking forward to this after they blew me away at Primavera 2014. Star Roving carried me through the Spring.

10. Japandroids - Near To The Wild Heart Of Life

If you ever decorate, this is the perfect album. Wallpaper flies off the walls listening to North, East, South, West.

Great effort organising this Zee. My yearly highlight of this forum.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:18:05 pm by ChrisOH »
Ye wha la.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 11:12:31 am »
Edited my initial list and will settle on what I've chosen now. Not too many changes to what I had though the Mount Kimbie record got some play throughs late on.

1. Kelly Lee Owens - Kelly Lee Owens
2. SZA - Ctrl
3. Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
4. The National - Sleep Well Beast
5. Chastity Belt - I Used to Spend So Much Time Alone
6. Los Campesinos - Sick Scenes
7. Girl Ray - Earl Grey
8. Yumi Zouma - Willowbank
9. Mount Kimbie - Love What Survives
10. Alvvays - Antisocialites

.. and the rest of my top albums for the year

11. Midwife - Like Author, Like Daughter
12. Moses Sumney - Aromanticism
13. Lorde - Melodrama
14. Jessie Ware - Glasshouse
15. Cults - Offering
16. Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps
17. Feist - Pleasure
18. Destroyer - Ken
19. Johnny Jewel - Windswept
20. The Big Moon - Love in the 4th Dimension

Favourite songs of 2017:
1. SZA - Prom
2. Los Campesinos - Got Stendahls
3. Kelly Lee Owens - Anxi.
4. Phoebe Bridgers - Motion Sickness
5. Beach House - Chariot
6. Julie Byrne - Natural Blue
7. Mount Kimbie - Blue Train Lines (feat King Krule)
8. Destroyer - Tinseltown Swimming in Blood
9. Alvvays - Dreams Tonite
10. Sufjan Stevens - Tonya Harding
11. Girl Ray - Preacher
12. Sylvan Esso - Die Young
13. Public Service Broadcasting - Progress
14. Life After Youth - Loving
15. Four Tet - Two Thousand And Seventeen
16. Rostam - Half Light
17. God First - Grant Green
18. The XX - Dangerous
19. Cigarettes After Sex - K.
20. Midwife - Song for an Unborn Sun
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:59:05 pm by Zee_26 »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 11:21:21 am »
My provisional list below. I think it's been a strong year but I've struggled to find one album that stands out above the rest.

1. Kelly Lee Owens - Kelly Lee Owens

Great album, think Anxi is one of my favourite songs this year.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 11:48:07 am »
1. Big Big Train - Grimspound
2. Offa Rex - The queen of hearts
3. Rhiannon Giddens - Freedom highway
4. Jesus and Mary Chain - Damage and Joy
5. Deep Purple - infinite
6. Mostly Autumn - Sight of day
7. Steve Hackett - The night siren
8. Thunder - Rip it up
9. Eliza Carthy and the Wayward Band - Big machine
10. Robert Plant - Carry fire

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2017, 01:03:30 pm »
Nice one for sorting this out, Zee. I always love these AOTY things but they must involve a fair amount of work for some selfless bastard.

Have to go away and have a good long think about this, but I'm pretty sure Michaels Head and Chapman, St Vincent, and Jake Xerxes Fussell will be in there somewhere, and probably pretty high up.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's lists.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 07:50:50 pm »
Thanks for getting this sorted - still compiling my list.

Some pretty amazing things and loads I have missed.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 08:03:16 pm »
I can understand that for sure. I guess I'm quite fortunate in that I can listen to music as I work.  My little one is even more opinionated about music than you lads. But she's no John Peel and doesn't like songs with male singers. She wont budge from that position - she's like a tiny Flashing Blade only instead of the WOD, she's against all men.  Not all bad, Julia Holter, Cate Le Bon, Stereolab, Jane Weaver they all get a pass but I lead a double life where I increasingly rebel against my family at work and listen to increasingly loud stuff.  The Richard Dawson album,  which isn't loud, can clear my kitchen in the first 4 notes too - they all really hate it.  Tough going - buying a record on Friday for the Saturday morning listen used to be most sacred part of the week - it's been upended by a 3 year old.

Hope you grab the Richard Dawson album.  Best gig and album of the year for me. Hope loads of people get into him now, he really deserves it. A one off. 

Got into this late - mainly because of you guys on here and my mates who saw him at Greenman (he clashed so I missed him).
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2017, 01:53:44 pm »
Cheers Zee mate.

All I want for christmas is an album of the year top 10 with more women in it.  :wave
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!