Author Topic: High Res Audio / NAS  (Read 1061 times)

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
High Res Audio / NAS
« on: October 22, 2017, 10:44:42 am »
Sorry if anyone has started a similar topic in the past..

I've just bought some new hifi that supports DSD playback and a few other formats of high res audio up to 192/24. I'm thinking of getting a NAS to store any high res files I buy. Does anyone have any recommendations for a unit that's quiet, reliable, supports RAID, USB 3.0, can be accessed remotely, has wireless functionality, and you can put your own HDD/SSD's in?

Be interested to get the thoughts of anyone who is into this type of thing, can anyone recommend any albums that sound noticeable better in high res? Anyone noticed any difference in quality between the different file formats?

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: High Res Audio / NAS
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 12:12:36 pm »
I've got a Synology Diskstation and it's great. Worth a  look. Sure the newer ones will be USB 3.0 compatible.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 3, 2017, 12:17:01 am »
Your best bet is to go for a 4-bay from Qnap or Synology, just decide how expensive you want to go.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #3 on: November 3, 2017, 09:10:48 pm »
+1 on the Synology diskstations - they are a piece of piss to set up and the DSM interface is excellent.  I looked at offerings from QNAP, Buffalo and Netgear but found that on balance the Synology was better for what we wanted.

I seem to remember that the Netgear had some additional features for the money but the interface was not as slick, the QNAP although well reviewed was more expensive with lower specifications and I can't remember reading anything about the Buffalo that made me want it.

I got a 4-bay and a 2-bay for work,  set up so that one automatically backs up to the other.  The main unit is running as a RAID1+0  which is quick and gives resilience against up to two disk failures, albeit at the expense of capacity.

I use WD Red HDDs which are designed specifically for NAS - if your unit is mainly acting as a streaming/playback device, SSDs are probably not going to offer much of an advantage and if you are using uncompressed files then you might be better putting the money into capacity rather than speed.

Good luck.

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 06:19:49 pm »
ive got a hard disc connected to raspberry pi 3 and then connected to me audiolab dac. i use rune audio to control what i listen to. cheap and cheerful, im happy with it.