Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1887870 times)

Offline dangerpuss

• A bit like bagpuss. But more.....um.....dangerous.....um.....
  • Kopite
  • Allez, allez, allez
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #3760 on: October 8, 2018, 12:40:06 pm »
Actually our attack and defence are both better this season. We've scored two more this season compared to the first 8 games of last season. 15 versus 13. We've conceded only three this season compared to 12 last season.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #3761 on: October 8, 2018, 12:55:13 pm »
Actually our attack and defence are both better this season. We've scored two more this season compared to the first 8 games of last season. 15 versus 13. We've conceded only three this season compared to 12 last season.
Yep. Like-for-like comparisons indicate we are better than at this time last season. But it seems the vogue right now is to compare the current stats to our very best stats last season. Some cognitive dissonance taking place here.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3762 on: October 8, 2018, 02:42:55 pm »
Yep. Like-for-like comparisons indicate we are better than at this time last season. But it seems the vogue right now is to compare the current stats to our very best stats last season. Some cognitive dissonance taking place here.

Yup people have short memories.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3763 on: October 8, 2018, 02:44:02 pm »
Confidence is a wonderful thing

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3764 on: October 8, 2018, 02:45:49 pm »

Bingo. Everyone seems to think last season was 38+ games of the first 70 minutes against Roma at home. We're still warming up. Klopp learnt his lesson in the first couple of seasons about how burnt out players get by his system, hence the slower start and stronger end to last year - though punctuated [again something long since forgotten] with relatively patchy league form towards the end that saw us get 4th on the very last day.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3765 on: October 8, 2018, 02:48:42 pm »
Bingo. Everyone seems to think last season was 38+ games of the first 70 minutes against Roma at home. We're still warming up. Klopp learnt his lesson in the first couple of seasons about how burnt out players get by his system, hence the slower start and stronger end to last year - though punctuated [again something long since forgotten] with relatively patchy league form towards the end that saw us get 4th on the very last day.

Exactly, the first two months up until the defeat at Wembley [which was towards the end of October] was incredibly frustrating.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3766 on: October 8, 2018, 02:51:40 pm »
For me Ox started coming good in the Christmas period last year - his assist v burnley was the specific moment I thought he'd started to play well, which probably means he'd started a few games before. Reckon it'll be the same for Naby, Fab and Shaqiri.

With Naby it's a bit of a funny one as thought he was very good v west ham and he's died off a bit. Hope a run against less challenging teams sees him get his confidence back as he's a much better player than maybe he realizes at the minute.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3767 on: October 8, 2018, 02:59:02 pm »
For me Ox started coming good in the Christmas period last year - his assist v burnley was the specific moment I thought he'd started to play well, which probably means he'd started a few games before. Reckon it'll be the same for Naby, Fab and Shaqiri.

With Naby it's a bit of a funny one as thought he was very good v west ham and he's died off a bit. Hope a run against less challenging teams sees him get his confidence back as he's a much better player than maybe he realizes at the minute.

Thought he was good against West Ham, against Palace, did what was needed when he came on against Leicester, thought he was very solid against Spurs and unlucky not to score..

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3768 on: October 8, 2018, 03:10:39 pm »
In my opinion, they all need to push forward a bit. We don't need to see Sadio and Firmino dropping into deep midfield all the time to get the ball.

Perhaps Fabinho as the deepest, number 6 player could unlock all of this, including Naby Keita. Get Fab in there, keeping it simple and passing forward and let Keita be that link man, going box to box. Fabinho, Keita, Henderson could be a brilliant midfield if both Naby and Hendo are giving freedom to get forward and unleash havoc.

I'm confident we will see more of Naby soon. We've been spoiled by Mo Salah; players don't just join Liverpool and triple their output from their old club while setting the world alight.

However look at the Ox and Andy Robertson, Klopp is simply brilliant at bedding players in, over TIME.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #3769 on: October 8, 2018, 03:27:24 pm »
Remember how poor Ox looked in his first few games?  Note that Fabhino is being held back to get used to the system.  It might take Naby a while but he needs a run in the team and I think he'll get that now that the nightmare run is out of the way.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline AlexMills

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • TRIBE
« Reply #3770 on: October 9, 2018, 08:18:29 pm »
love this guy!

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #3771 on: October 9, 2018, 09:40:40 pm »
Remember how poor Ox looked in his first few games?  Note that Fabhino is being held back to get used to the system.  It might take Naby a while but he needs a run in the team and I think he'll get that now that the nightmare run is out of the way.

He will definitely get a run with Milner out.
Internet terrorist

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3772 on: October 23, 2018, 05:58:34 am »
When is he due back?
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #3773 on: October 23, 2018, 07:41:35 am »
When is he due back?

Hamstrings are normally 4-6 weeks right? So I would say beginning of December.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3774 on: October 23, 2018, 11:15:38 am »
Hamstrings are normally 4-6 weeks right? So I would say beginning of December.

We dont know serious the injury is, it could be less than that. Milner recovered in 2 weeks

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3775 on: October 23, 2018, 01:25:51 pm »
My friends in Guinea said two weeks...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3776 on: October 23, 2018, 02:21:58 pm »
Yeah its interesting. We'd have killed for this start in almost any previous year yet people are non-plussed
A combination of City hitting 100 points and rolling through the league plus our attack running super hot for a period towards the end of last season has broken people's brains a bit

We've pulled the 'blanket' down a bit this season - our attack has been a bit less effective this season (so far) but our defence is now off the charts elite - we've hardly given up a big chance in the league so far. 3 goals conceded in 8 games (1 of which was self inflicted) is ridiculous. By most measures we have one of the best defences in Europe.
Thing is a good attack is much easier to understand / get excited about than good defence

Plus there's a very real prospect of us hitting a record points total for the club and losing the league - think that also explains the underlying disquiet

Was doing some analysis on Big Chances today and happened to see this post. Thought this might be of interest. The surprising result is Bournemouth and how well they fare on Big Chances overall.

(results are up to date and include yesterday's game; data based on Shots whose xG > 0.28)

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3777 on: October 23, 2018, 02:36:56 pm »
Only created 6 non-penalty big chances at home so far in 4 games? That will hopefully improve soon.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3778 on: October 23, 2018, 02:40:25 pm »
Back in training back running, not fit for tomorrow but should be fit too soon maybe by the weekend.

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3779 on: October 23, 2018, 02:47:11 pm »
Only created 6 non-penalty big chances at home so far in 4 games? That will hopefully improve soon.

The alarming thing is that 4 of those where from the 1st game against Wet Ham, but if you think about it most teams set up not to concede at Anfield and therefore play a low block system and make it extremely hard for us to create these so called 'Big Chances'. Mind you that's no excuse as Man City probably have the same issue yet are blowing teams apart.

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3780 on: October 23, 2018, 02:48:44 pm »
Back in training back running, not fit for tomorrow but should be fit too soon maybe by the weekend.

Good news. The lad needs more game time over the coming weeks. There are some games that will give that opportunity.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #3781 on: October 23, 2018, 02:51:12 pm »
Wondering does he speak  English

Online KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #3782 on: October 23, 2018, 02:53:59 pm »

For some reason I always associate players from the African countries with having good English, a bit like the Dutch. I don't know what that is based on, maybe I'm just a big racist.

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3783 on: October 23, 2018, 02:55:57 pm »

I recall reading an interview with Skysports yesterday talking about leaving his own mark on the number 8 shirt. He said he wants to learn English in the same interview. Oh, and that he was struggling with the scouse accent.  ;D

Online Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3784 on: October 23, 2018, 02:59:25 pm »

Not really, according to today's Talking Reds on the TAW youtube channel. They say he's taking courses and that he hopes to be able to speak properly and give interviews in English within 6 months or so.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3785 on: October 23, 2018, 03:05:47 pm »
Hopefully he will be fit for this weekend.
Believer

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3786 on: October 23, 2018, 04:14:31 pm »
I recall reading an interview with Skysports yesterday talking about leaving his own mark on the number 8 shirt. He said he wants to learn English in the same interview. Oh, and that he was struggling with the scouse accent.  ;D

I struggle with the scouse accent  ;D

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3787 on: October 23, 2018, 04:16:07 pm »
For some reason I always associate players from the African countries with having good English, a bit like the Dutch. I don't know what that is based on, maybe I'm just a big racist.

Depends which African country - think his French is the dominant Western language

Honestly the whole thing is a red herring. A ton of foreign players haven't had good english and done well here (not least Bobby). We signed him on the back of performances in a different country where his command of their language wasn't good.
For some reason some of the LFC podcasts seem obsessed with him not speaking English no idea why

Online KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #3788 on: October 23, 2018, 04:36:00 pm »
Depends which African country - think his French is the dominant Western language

Honestly the whole thing is a red herring. A ton of foreign players haven't had good english and done well here (not least Bobby). We signed him on the back of performances in a different country where his command of their language wasn't good.
For some reason some of the LFC podcasts seem obsessed with him not speaking English no idea why
I don't think Tevez ever learnt English. It's only recently that Aguero has become competent enough to attempt interviews.

Offline Destiny

• Main Stander
« Reply #3789 on: October 23, 2018, 04:45:50 pm »
Need him back soon, serious lack of creativity in our midfield.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3790 on: October 23, 2018, 05:34:42 pm »
Need him back soon, serious lack of creativity in our midfield.

Has he created lots of chances this season so far? Assists wise I'm not sure he has. Think Milner has more. The fella who got the record number of assists in a CL campaign last season.

The idealised version of Keita, the one we saw highlights of for RBL, he was very creative. The fella we've seen so far isn't.

Now that's not to criticise him. He deserves time to get accustomed to all the new things he's taking on - system, language, league, new team mates etc.

But people shouldn't be calling for him to be our midfield saviour. He might be in the long run. But at the moment that is unfair on him and adds too much expectation on his short term performances. I'll be honest I would say so far he hasn't even closely resembled anything like a creative force in a red shirt. But that's fine as long a people recognise that it'll take him time to get there. Let's not blow smoke up his arse in the meantime.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3791 on: October 23, 2018, 05:39:01 pm »
Help us Keita, you’re our only hope.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3792 on: October 23, 2018, 05:40:11 pm »

This is good news.

He really doesn't need a prolonged absence. Think if we can get him and Fabinho on the pitch semi regularly before Xmas, then in the New Year they'll be able to show their true worth. In the meantime we need to be patient and accept that they'll probably be poor on as many occasions as they are good. That's what we've seen from Keita so far. Flashes of brilliance mixed in with relatively anonymous performances where he looks like he's struggled to get to grips with the system and also the pace of the league.

If they can both start to put 4, 5, 6 decent performances back to back then the competition in our midfield will be really good. Same applies to Lallana.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #3793 on: October 23, 2018, 06:43:16 pm »
Has he created lots of chances this season so far? Assists wise I'm not sure he has. Think Milner has more. The fella who got the record number of assists in a CL campaign last season.

The idealised version of Keita, the one we saw highlights of for RBL, he was very creative. The fella we've seen so far isn't.

Now that's not to criticise him. He deserves time to get accustomed to all the new things he's taking on - system, language, league, new team mates etc.

But people shouldn't be calling for him to be our midfield saviour. He might be in the long run. But at the moment that is unfair on him and adds too much expectation on his short term performances. I'll be honest I would say so far he hasn't even closely resembled anything like a creative force in a red shirt. But that's fine as long a people recognise that it'll take him time to get there. Let's not blow smoke up his arse in the meantime.
Oh mighty Keita, deliver us from this goal drought

Amen

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #3794 on: October 24, 2018, 06:28:35 am »
The alarming thing is that 4 of those where from the 1st game against Wet Ham, but if you think about it most teams set up not to concede at Anfield and therefore play a low block system and make it extremely hard for us to create these so called 'Big Chances'. Mind you that's no excuse as Man City probably have the same issue yet are blowing teams apart.
Although City's while system is designed to unpark bussed. Low block teams are totally playing into their hands but far too few have the balls to try something different because they're terrified of an even worse hiding.

It's interesting that we seem so much more open away.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #3795 on: October 24, 2018, 11:32:27 am »
Not really, according to today's Talking Reds on the TAW youtube channel. They say he's taking courses and that he hopes to be able to speak properly and give interviews in English within 6 months or so.

To be honest I'm a bit surprised he wasn't advised to start learning during the last season since he knew he was coming, but I guess as long as he picks it up pretty quickly it shouldn't matter too much.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3796 on: October 24, 2018, 11:53:10 am »
To be honest I'm a bit surprised he wasn't advised to start learning during the last season since he knew he was coming, but I guess as long as he picks it up pretty quickly it shouldn't matter too much.

My guess would be that the club were happy to wait until he joined. The fact he was living in a non-English speaking country anyway, and also one that doesn't speak his own native language, he'd only be picking up English from lessons and then not speaking it the rest of the time. Learning a new language is difficult enough at the best of times, never-mind if you only get to speak it a couple of hours a week.

Probably easier to wait until he joins so then the club can use it's own language teacher to help him, and add in the fact he'll be around English speakers every day he'll pick it up quicker.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3797 on: October 24, 2018, 12:16:11 pm »
Help us Keita, you’re our only hope.
Is that from Star Wars

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3798 on: October 24, 2018, 01:03:03 pm »
Is that from Star Wars

Hahha for sure.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3799 on: October 25, 2018, 03:30:52 pm »
We could be set to sign his younger brother  Petit Keita, the 17-year-old is currently training with our academy.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 03:32:50 pm by rocco »