Author Topic: Ligue 1  (Read 122989 times)

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ligue 1 17/18
« Reply #400 on: January 24, 2019, 08:17:13 pm »
Thierry Henry suspended. Strange. Never heard of this happening before.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46995436

Monaco have suspended manager Thierry Henry while they make a decision on his future.

There had been speculation that the Ligue 1 strugglers were set to sack the France World Cup winner and replace him with predecessor Leonardo Jardim.

The 2017 French champions are in the relegation zone after five wins in 20 games under Henry.

A statement on the club website read: "AS Monaco has decided to suspend first-team coach Thierry Henry."

Who did not see this coming?
Justice for the 96!

Online Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #401 on: January 24, 2019, 08:23:39 pm »
Now Sacked.

So expect him back in your living rooms via the Sky studios sometime very soon.

Was going to say difficult to see how he can sit there and criticise Managers now, but it doesn’t seemed to have stopped Neville.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: January 24, 2019, 09:14:38 pm »
Jardim to be hired back is something Italian clubs have done. Can't recall which one but there was a manager who was hired and fired two or three times by the same club

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #403 on: January 24, 2019, 09:25:36 pm »
Palermo I think, and I think all those re-hirings might have been during the same season.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: January 24, 2019, 09:29:53 pm »
Palermo I think, and I think all those re-hirings might have been during the same season.

Yup I believe you're right.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: January 24, 2019, 11:35:32 pm »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #406 on: January 25, 2019, 11:30:42 am »
So Monaco bought Henry in to fight relegation and not as part of a long term project?! What a mad appointment. Why would you appoint a first time manager to ensure safety in the league?

You look at Huddersfield - they know they're down, and have appointed someone to be there for the next 4 to 5 years to hopefully build a project to get them back in the Prem.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: January 25, 2019, 06:08:07 pm »
So Monaco bought Henry in to fight relegation and not as part of a long term project?! What a mad appointment. Why would you appoint a first time manager to ensure safety in the league?

You look at Huddersfield - they know they're down, and have appointed someone to be there for the next 4 to 5 years to hopefully build a project to get them back in the Prem.

To be fair, if Jan Siewert comes in and completely loses the Huddersfield dressing room in the first 3 or 4 months, he may very well find himself out of a job as well.

If the reports are true about the way Henry handled himself with his players and opposing players, then you can't really blame Monaco for sacking him. Sounds like he was completely unprepared for the job and somewhere, PoP is smiling.  ;)
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #408 on: January 25, 2019, 06:12:09 pm »
To be fair, if Jan Siewert comes in and completely loses the Huddersfield dressing room in the first 3 or 4 months, he may very well find himself out of a job as well.

If the reports are true about the way Henry handled himself with his players and opposing players, then you can't really blame Monaco for sacking him. Sounds like he was completely unprepared for the job and somewhere, PoP is smiling.  ;)

;D

I like Henry. Went to see him play once, saw him warming up, his first touch was perfect, everything done with quality. I turned to the person beside me and said "See that? That's the mark of an elite talent - all passes into him at varying speeds and angles, and all killed with the deftest of touches. That's what separates the great from the good"

But the person beside me was a complete stranger, and got all weirded out, and the rest of the match was just awkward.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #409 on: January 26, 2019, 02:10:58 am »
Monaco confirm that Leonardo Jardim has been re-hired.

Statement from the CEO Vadim Vasilyev:

Our club is going through a very challenging period. I am ready to admit that I personally bear the responsibility for this.

We have to acknowledge that during the summer transfer window, we sold too many key players and, despite considerable investments, mistakes were made with respect to their replacement. This did not allow us to create a new, competitive team. The decision to dismiss Leonardo Jardim was also premature.

Leonardo Jardim’s time at AS Monaco, as I said when he departed, would be remembered as one of the brightest chapters in the Club’s history. Today we realize that the story of Leonardo Jardim at the Club did not end as it was meant to. Leonardo should have been given an opportunity to continue his job.

Thierry Henry is a football legend but due to a very unfavorable mix of circumstances, including, above all, numerous injuries to our players, hampered him from quickly and effectively leading the team out of the crisis. I want to express my gratitude to Thierry Henry for accepting this challenge and trying to lead the team of his former Club during such a difficult period. He would have probably needed more time to implement his plans. From our perspective, unfortunately, we do not have this time. We need to act without delay.

Therefore, we have made a decision to end our partnership with Thierry Henry.

We approached Leonardo Jardim with a proposal to return to AS Monaco, where he had already achieved excellent results over the course of four seasons. We have signed a contract for two and a half years.

The mistakes made during the summer transfer window were taken into account, and this winter we have worked more thoroughly to strengthen the team. We have worked hard, and, as you are aware, new players have already joined us. The winter transfer window is not over yet and further new signings should not be ruled out.

We hope that it is not too late to address the situation. We do believe that our players will gain momentum and that, together with Leonardo Jardim as the manager, ASM will be able to overcome this crisis.

https://www.asmonaco.com/en/communique-officiel-du-club-henry-jardim/

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #410 on: January 26, 2019, 02:12:57 am »
Jardim is either really desperate or really stupid to go back. They're an absolute shit show at the moment. There are a number of jobs he could walked into.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #411 on: January 26, 2019, 10:07:31 am »
Jardim is either really desperate or really stupid to go back. They're an absolute shit show at the moment. There are a number of jobs he could walked into.

Might be making an emotional decision, a bit like Rafa staying at Newcastle.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #412 on: January 26, 2019, 10:52:04 pm »
But the Huddersfield team are losing more or less every game, so surely these appointments have to be for longer than 4 months? I like the bravery in these appointments, but I just don't understand the reasoning behind them sometimes.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: February 17, 2019, 09:36:40 pm »
This Mbappe fellow is pretty decent I think.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: February 17, 2019, 09:39:37 pm »

He will never make it on the world stage.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #415 on: February 17, 2019, 09:51:21 pm »

Unbelievable player.

Madrid will be all over him in summer.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: February 17, 2019, 10:02:08 pm »
He’s the best, I’d give up the drink for us to have him.  His sprint for his goal at Old Trafford in the week was the most thrilling thing I have seen in forever.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: February 17, 2019, 10:17:38 pm »
He’s the best, I’d give up the drink for us to have him.  His sprint for his goal at Old Trafford in the week was the most thrilling thing I have seen in forever.

His goal today was wonderful too for different reasons.

Unbelievable player.

Madrid will be all over him in summer.

Hope not, although I suspect you're probably right, footballers seem to think the pinnacle of their career is playing for them or Barcelona. I'd have him here if he was willing to come though.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: February 17, 2019, 11:06:20 pm »
I don't know if there's a team on Earth rich enough to buy Mbappe at this juncture. PSG can name their price and if they're willing to deal for less than 250m they're absolutely mental. Clubs like Real and Barcelona are rich but not even they have 250 million notes lying around.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #419 on: February 17, 2019, 11:20:30 pm »

You misspelled Rashford.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: February 18, 2019, 10:23:26 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a4Ei2GzRkCI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a4Ei2GzRkCI</a>

I still believe  :'(

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: February 18, 2019, 10:54:33 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a4Ei2GzRkCI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a4Ei2GzRkCI</a>

I still believe  :'(
You and me both. Oh Nabil, what we wouldn't give to fix your dodgy knees.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: February 18, 2019, 10:55:45 am »
His goal today was wonderful too for different reasons.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiiIRJ5vwus" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiiIRJ5vwus</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: February 18, 2019, 09:33:24 pm »
I don't know if there's a team on Earth rich enough to buy Mbappe at this juncture. PSG can name their price and if they're willing to deal for less than 250m they're absolutely mental. Clubs like Real and Barcelona are rich but not even they have 250 million notes lying around.

The thing with Mbappe, and with all Neymar related transfers including Coutinho, is none of them got contracts commensurate with their transfer fee.  Historically Mbappe's transfer fee should equate to around a €700k per week contract whereas he's on like €140k week now.  So while it may seem impossible to pay a commensurate transfer fee the player will probably want to get paid more especially with how good he is.  Where it could get really crazy is his contract is up in 2022 at which time he'll be 23.  Just think of the bargaining power he'd have, would be crazy.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: March 3, 2019, 07:39:50 am »
PSG go twenty points clear in Ligue 1. Surely it must be boring for everyone involved? Everyone in that league from the boardrooms to the pitch and especially the fans.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: March 3, 2019, 09:28:14 am »
PSG go twenty points clear in Ligue 1. Surely it must be boring for everyone involved? Everyone in that league from the boardrooms to the pitch and especially the fans.

Cant imagine their star players sticking around for the peaks of their careers, literally nobodys arsed about it, they're just swatting aside joke teams and the whole world don't care... Can't be good for players with aspirations of being the very very best, in constant limelight.

Online jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: April 14, 2019, 09:54:49 pm »
Psg just been slapped 5-1 by Lille. Lovely that.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: April 14, 2019, 10:16:13 pm »
Psg just been slapped 5-1 by Lille. Lovely that.
Haha wow, what’s happened there then?  Seeing as it’s pretty much impossible for anybody else to actually win that league, then the second-placed side smashing PSG in that style, on the day they were supposed to be crowned champions, must be about as good as it gets.

Online jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: April 14, 2019, 10:24:44 pm »
Tuchel put out a really strange side to begin with In an odd system. There was also a slightly harsh straight red for Bernat on 36 minutes. 1-1 heading into the second half and to be honest, lille just blew them away. Brilliant haha

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: April 14, 2019, 10:41:39 pm »
Monaco owner with some not nice words on Henry's time as manager.

"When things weren’t working out during practice he would get nervous and yell a lot. Maybe it was unnecessary. He would try to go out onto the field and show us how to practice and yell.

"Maybe a different manager would say 'let’s go, get it together', but he would get nervous right away and run onto the field and start playing and showing us things.

"He would scream 'try to get the ball away from me'. Players were mostly calm, but maybe they were in a bit of a shock."

https://www.givemesport.com/1468100-aleksandr-golovin-reveals-how-much-thierry-henry-struggled-as-monaco-manager

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: April 15, 2019, 06:37:51 am »
Monaco owner with some not nice words on Henry's time as manager.

"When things weren’t working out during practice he would get nervous and yell a lot. Maybe it was unnecessary. He would try to go out onto the field and show us how to practice and yell.

"Maybe a different manager would say 'let’s go, get it together', but he would get nervous right away and run onto the field and start playing and showing us things.

"He would scream 'try to get the ball away from me'. Players were mostly calm, but maybe they were in a bit of a shock."

https://www.givemesport.com/1468100-aleksandr-golovin-reveals-how-much-thierry-henry-struggled-as-monaco-manager

Screams of a ex world class player with a giant ego thinking he can easily manage and getting found out pretty quick.

Not sure why some of these players just jump into these massive jobs before figuring out their craft and in a lower pressure environment.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: April 15, 2019, 09:43:01 am »
Screams of a ex world class player with a giant ego thinking he can easily manage and getting found out pretty quick.

Not sure why some of these players just jump into these massive jobs before figuring out their craft and in a lower pressure environment.
Your first sentence answers your second......
What I can't understand is why successful businessmen appoint them in the first place. You don't give someone the managing directors job in the post office because they are good at delivering letters. The skill sets for playing and coaching are entirely different.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:48:31 am by Brissyred »

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #432 on: April 15, 2019, 10:13:30 am »
Tuchel put out a really strange side to begin with In an odd system. There was also a slightly harsh straight red for Bernat on 36 minutes. 1-1 heading into the second half and to be honest, lille just blew them away. Brilliant haha
Good for them. I enjoyed that.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #433 on: April 15, 2019, 01:19:53 pm »
I love how Tuchel is complaining that they don't have enough players... :lmao

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: April 17, 2019, 07:18:16 pm »
I love how Tuchel is complaining that they don't have enough players... :lmao

he's going to be complaining even more now they are 3-1 down to Nantes!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: April 27, 2019, 10:49:53 pm »
Horror of a tackle by Mbappe in the French cup final tonight:

https://twitter.com/SwypeSports/status/1122255009444499457

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: April 27, 2019, 10:54:52 pm »
Yesssss. Always good to see them horrible c*nts lose. Pretty woeful from Tuchel ending the season with just 1 trophy given the financial difference between them and everyone else there.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #437 on: April 27, 2019, 10:56:39 pm »
Great to see PSG lose :)
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: April 27, 2019, 10:58:58 pm »
Massively underwhelming first season for Tuchel. Not as bad as Emery failing to win the league, but still, really unimpressive. And I say that having seen none of their games beyond the CL ones  ;D

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #439 on: April 27, 2019, 11:27:09 pm »
Wtf is Mbappe doing there?

And what a failure of a season for PSG! Going out to Man United is shambolic & now this. Get in Rennes!

I don't know what happened, they seemed fired up during CL group stages. I remember the game in Paris when they came flying out of the blocks against us, in fact out pressed us like their lives depended on it before they sat back on a lead. Only for it all to end like this!