Author Topic: "Green and Gold, it's O5e from Molde!" - Cornering like a reliant robin..  (Read 3442517 times)

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Feli8x the tw@t... Sponsored by Dusty Bin. Special Once Thread.
« Reply #7880 on: February 18, 2018, 02:22:41 am »
So VAR adds a judgement call to a judgement call?
Does anybody really need to discuss the outcome of that?

Particularly when the people making the judgement calls are referees, and the prime reason VARs been brought in is that referees are not very good at giving judgement calls, generally because they're not very good at being referees.

Obviously, when I said 'prime reason' I was talking from a put-to-the-fan point of view, rather than from the professional referees PGM whatever junk it's called, namely to make more money for its roster of shite.

The sooner the refs are paid more than the players the better. It's dead already, just turning slowly on the skewer.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7881 on: February 18, 2018, 02:37:55 am »
Refs paid more than players?? :lmao

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7882 on: February 18, 2018, 03:14:40 am »
As a general query, has the talk off the pitch mangled offside to a laughable state when you've got his knee is offside, offside is offside?

Offside was brought in to stop goal hanging. It's a fine addition if you leave it there. It becomes a drag if you start looking for body parts to the inch ahead of a virtual line imo. If the player's off by a yard, fine. Call it. If he's starting fully ahead of the last defender, fine, call it. If  it's so marginal you have to look for body parts, you've got to play on. This is not precision engineering a machine, laws over a dynamic, game played by people has to get the balance right between ruling out clear attempts to cheat versus acceptable margin.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #7883 on: February 18, 2018, 03:26:37 am »
So VAR adds a judgement call to a judgement call?
Does anybody really need to discuss the outcome of that?

it's ridiculous. VAR is a cancer and needs to be radiated and removed
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7884 on: February 18, 2018, 03:28:49 am »
It's staggering how shit football is at this stuff. A challenge element is exactly the way to go to bring this stuff in but as usual the referees can't have that because it would involve them in any way admitting failure to anyone outside of their circle. It's shambolic how the game is officiated in this country.

A challenge system would end up being abused by snidey managers such as Mourinho to disrupt the opposition if he still had a challenge left late in either half, the sensible way to do it would be to continuously review everything and yell in the ref's earpiece when he has fucked one up, the tv coverage can get the definitive views in seconds so there just needs to be more competence with the VAR replays as there's no reason they should take so long or in this game so incompetent.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7885 on: February 18, 2018, 03:31:58 am »
Remember benefit of the doubt to the attacker, and "clear daylight" or some bollocks like that?

The law was never actually written with that sort of wording though and certainly isn't now, but you still get the pundits parroting that line when moaning about a decision.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #7886 on: February 18, 2018, 04:58:43 am »
All I've taken from Mata's VAR incident is Huddersfield's 18 yard box is wonky as fuck.
:D

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #7887 on: February 18, 2018, 06:34:43 am »
All I've taken from Mata's VAR incident is Huddersfield's 18 yard box is wonky as fuck.
Yeah, they need a new line drawing thingamajig

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7888 on: February 18, 2018, 07:43:14 am »
Refs paid more than players?? :lmao

;D

I do actually think the referees should get paid based on performance. An independent panel scores then between 1 and 10 after every match and they are given a bonus based on that. Will soon sort them out.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7889 on: February 18, 2018, 09:12:16 am »
As a general query, has the talk off the pitch mangled offside to a laughable state when you've got his knee is offside, offside is offside?

Offside was brought in to stop goal hanging. It's a fine addition if you leave it there. It becomes a drag if you start looking for body parts to the inch ahead of a virtual line imo. If the player's off by a yard, fine. Call it. If he's starting fully ahead of the last defender, fine, call it. If  it's so marginal you have to look for body parts, you've got to play on. This is not precision engineering a machine, laws over a dynamic, game played by people has to get the balance right between ruling out clear attempts to cheat versus acceptable margin.

Seeing as we had a goal ruled offside at Spurs last season for Lallanas big toe being offside, I've no sympathy for the Mancs.

You are right though, there should be clear air between the players, all this toe/knee/leg offside is bollocks.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7890 on: February 18, 2018, 09:20:07 am »
Like many who think they know about VAR..you're wrong.

Read---exactly--- what the FA has ruled will constitute what VAR will be used for:

The VAR trials, which will include the League Cup semi-finals in January 2018, are being led by the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), the body responsible for training and developing English football’s elite match officials and follow an extensive education programme and ‘live’ experiment phase.

VARs are being trialled for clear and obvious errors, or serious missed incidents, relating to specific incidents in three ‘game changing’ situations – goals, penalty/no penalty decisions and straight red cards, plus mistaken identity for red or yellow cards.

The VAR automatically checks every such incident and if a clear and obvious error has occurred the referee is informed; the referee can then confirm or change the original decision based on the information from the VAR, or the referee looks at a replay on the side of the pitch. The original decision is only changed if it was clearly and obviously wrong. 

http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/dec/07/video-assistant-referees-trialled-emirates-fa-cup-third-round-brighton-crystal-palace-071217

There is nothing in there about determining offsides is there?? Whether 2mm or 2 cm.

for clear and obvious errors, or serious missed incidents that is all VAR is supposed to be used for.

So yes, the Mata goal comes under the VAR remit to review. But the VAR ref Swarbrick over stepped the remit of-- for clear and obvious errors, or serious missed incidents.

The linesman did NOT make an "obvious error" or miss the incident. The goal should have stood. Simples.

He did. A goal was wrongly awarded because the player was offisde.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7891 on: February 18, 2018, 09:22:10 am »
;D

I do actually think the referees should get paid based on performance. An independent panel scores then between 1 and 10 after every match and they are given a bonus based on that. Will soon sort them out.

If they got paid on performance, they'd all be on the streets begging for cheese butties

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Pie Eyed

• More like Eagle Eyed! Looking to sub Lfsea.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7892 on: February 18, 2018, 10:05:48 am »
That's absolute bollocks mate, if you're going to talk about 2 inches then I want a device in the ball that can display exactly when its touched. Because you can play that dubious video any way you want to determine exactly when its released from Young's foot. And there's no obvious error :) . The Mancs were robbed of a good goal and its fucking scandalous that we're even debating it.

I didn't say that I agree with the current implementation (either of VAR or the offside rule), but under the current rules for both, an "error" (not being flagged offside when he was, under the current interpretation) was overturned and corrected.

It just goes to show how far this technology - and its users - need to improve, before it is fully fit for purpose.

It took Rugby Leagu a year or 2 to iron out (almost) all of the kinks, and I'm sure that the football uses of the technology will get better/faster/clearer as time goes on.

The first thing that NEEDS to happen is a video replay screen, so that the fans can see exactly what is being looked at in real time.

Also, it is highly likely that certain rules - such as offside - receive minor tweaks both to improve them and to make them clearer for use with this technology.
Jürgen Klopp (26 June 2020)
"We were good 4 years ago.  We were really good 3 years ago.  We were unbelievably good last year.  And this year it is absolutely exceptional.  Second to none that I know."

King Kenny to Jürgen (25 June 2020):
"I think your Da' must've been on our side during the war, because you seem like a scouser to me." :D

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #7893 on: February 18, 2018, 10:27:15 am »
Maybe they should position the main referee behind the screens with all camera views available and with the final say on decisions.  The referee on the pitch can be the secondary ref that decides on general issues, and on key issues such as penalties, cards, and reviewing offsides leading to goals, the main ref behind the monitors decides.

Would also make decisions more transparent as the main ref can explain his decisions if only because they have access to all the angles, rather than hiding behind the 'I couldn't see from my position' defence.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7894 on: February 18, 2018, 10:43:52 am »
A challenge system would end up being abused by snidey managers such as Mourinho to disrupt the opposition if he still had a challenge left late in either half, the sensible way to do it would be to continuously review everything and yell in the ref's earpiece when he has fucked one up, the tv coverage can get the definitive views in seconds so there just needs to be more competence with the VAR replays as there's no reason they should take so long or in this game so incompetent.

There's ways around that, though, that would limit the usage of challenges to maybe one per half and might even limit them to normal time, for example, not injury time. And they might be used to challenge goals, red cards and penalties as VAR works presently. Introducing it in a restricted way allows for the opportunity to see how it would work without it being a free for all like you describe.

It'd be a much better way to challenge referee decisions for me than having every decision scrutinised by someone in a studio in arseville nitpicking over whether a linesman has spotted Mata's kneecap or not, which was an absolute joke and not the intent of VAR at all.

Challenges or no challenges, I totally agree it's been handled with minimal competence so far. I want correct decisions and usage of video technology in football but as usual the authorities and the referees are on another planet with how they work these things, like watching your Dad spending 15 minutes sending a two line text message.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7895 on: February 18, 2018, 10:53:15 am »
I didn't say that I agree with the current implementation (either of VAR or the offside rule), but under the current rules for both, an "error" (not being flagged offside when he was, under the current interpretation) was overturned and corrected.

" The original decision is only changed if it was clearly and obviously wrong." It's not about mere errors.

That's from the FA website. The linesman was not clearly and obviously wrong to award offside. It's not about hindsight and whether if you draw a (straight) line you find that Mata was offside by a kneecap: VAR as currently implemented is supposed to overturn clear and obvious errors. If we're saying that's clearly and obviously wrong then we're expecting linesman to have access to the same levels of visual acuity as The Terminator.

Now, in tennis you might find a situation where a line judge calls a ball out and it's by a hair's breadth on the line. And nobody would have a go at the line judge, they'd sympathise with the closness and the decision would be overturned using Hawkeye. That's fine because in tennis it is challenged based and ultimately about whether the ball is in or out by whatever margin. In football, the FA has - wrongly I think but here we are - decided that VAR should only be used to overturn clear and obvious mistakes. Most linesman would've given that onside, which certainly doesn't make it clear and obvious I'm afraid.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7896 on: February 18, 2018, 10:54:51 am »
Surely it’s an obvious error if he didn’t call the offside correctly?

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7897 on: February 18, 2018, 11:10:57 am »
Can we go back to making fun is joseeeee please?

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7898 on: February 18, 2018, 11:11:46 am »
So will Pogba play on Wednesday? It sounds like there is a real battle going on behind the seams between player v manager. Can't see it ending well.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7899 on: February 18, 2018, 11:12:53 am »
Can't see it ending well.

We can but hope  ;D

Just a shame it's so soon after the transfer window closed as gives plenty of time to sort it out. Had it been during the window could have seen it escalating quite quickly.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #7900 on: February 18, 2018, 11:15:40 am »
So will Pogba play on Wednesday? It sounds like there is a real battle going on behind the seams between player v manager. Can't see it ending well.

Depends I guess on Mourinho's pre-game press conference. If he is ruled out injured, he will declare himself fit. If Mourinho says he will start, then you can bet he won't :D
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7901 on: February 18, 2018, 11:19:23 am »
Interesting comments today with Mourinho admitting he doesn't know when Pogba will return, so it makes you doubt he'll be fit for the Sevilla game.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #7902 on: February 18, 2018, 11:25:03 am »
Interesting comments today with Mourinho admitting he doesn't know when Pogba will return, so it makes you doubt he'll be fit for the Sevilla game.

Jose "Paul, can you play next game?"
Carlton "Piss Off"

Press Conference "I have no idea when he will return. When I call, I keep getting voicemail. When I text, all I get in reply if the pogba emoji. *sobs*"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7903 on: February 18, 2018, 11:43:21 am »
Probably a bit far in the past for some of our younger forumites, but back in the day Manchester United were always seen as the 'Glory Club' that would buy big and buy superstars as a matter of course.

It all changed when they got Schmiecal - the real catalyst for their club and then they got a load of kids all at the same time - which was unheard of before and since.

If they don't win the league for a few more seasons, given the cash they are awash with, it does look like they are reverting to type - spunk all their money on the next big thing with no regard to whether that's what they actually need or want - just satisfy the fans that they are spending big and repeat.

Personally I don't think it'll happen - they are just too rich to not win the league, but it seems clear they've wasted pretty much a billion quid on shite and if they seriously want to complete they'll probably have to spend something in the order of £500M. Their biggest problem is De Gea. They would be midtable without his brilliance. Only Stoke (equal) and Swansea (higher) have keepers forced to make more saves.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7904 on: February 18, 2018, 11:44:53 am »
Andy with their recent spending record would you be confident they’d replace de gea well?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7905 on: February 18, 2018, 11:48:40 am »
Andy with their recent spending record would you be confident they’d replace de gea well?

Not sure they could. He's not only probably the best keeper in the world at the moment, he's proven in the English game.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7906 on: February 18, 2018, 11:49:51 am »

I'm just hoping that Jose does enough damage in the short term that it will take them 10 yrs to fix it - which of course is scary because they could still win trophies while the Shitcoat is here.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #7907 on: February 18, 2018, 11:57:56 am »

Given that their Director of Football is Raiola, I think Donnarumma would be the replacement.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7908 on: February 18, 2018, 12:01:44 pm »
Surely it’s an obvious error if he didn’t call the offside correctly?

Not really. In cricket, they have “umpires call” for close LBW’s. Would be no different for close offsides.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7909 on: February 18, 2018, 12:12:03 pm »
Given that their Director of Football is Raiola, I think Donnarumma would be the replacement.

I had to look it up - but that’s quite funny. :)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7910 on: February 18, 2018, 12:16:50 pm »

Yup, this would be my guess. If not they'd go out and buy one of Alisson or Oblak. No way they wouldn't get one of those if De Gea forced his way out.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #7911 on: February 18, 2018, 12:28:18 pm »
Not really. In cricket, they have “umpires call” for close LBW’s. Would be no different for close offsides.
It’s not quite the same, because in cricket the ball doesn’t actually go on to hit the stumps so you have to accept that an lbw decision can only ever be a best guess, even when it’s Hawkeye that’s calling it.

In football we’re in the stupid position of believing that every decision can and should always be 100% right.  It would be a lot healthier if we accepted that there are always decisions that could go either way.  When former players are pundits they often annoy by fence-sitting - “you’ve seen them given” and so on - but VAR has brought me round to the view that they’re basically right.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #7912 on: February 18, 2018, 12:33:33 pm »
Maybe they should position the main referee behind the screens with all camera views available and with the final say on decisions.  The referee on the pitch can be the secondary ref that decides on general issues, and on key issues such as penalties, cards, and reviewing offsides leading to goals, the main ref behind the monitors decides.

Would also make decisions more transparent as the main ref can explain his decisions if only because they have access to all the angles, rather than hiding behind the 'I couldn't see from my position' defence.

I'm not sure if you're serious
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7913 on: February 18, 2018, 12:35:03 pm »
There's ways around that, though, that would limit the usage of challenges to maybe one per half and might even limit them to normal time, for example, not injury time. And they might be used to challenge goals, red cards and penalties as VAR works presently. Introducing it in a restricted way allows for the opportunity to see how it would work without it being a free for all like you describe.

It'd be a much better way to challenge referee decisions for me than having every decision scrutinised by someone in a studio in arseville nitpicking over whether a linesman has spotted Mata's kneecap or not, which was an absolute joke and not the intent of VAR at all.

Challenges or no challenges, I totally agree it's been handled with minimal competence so far. I want correct decisions and usage of video technology in football but as usual the authorities and the referees are on another planet with how they work these things, like watching your Dad spending 15 minutes sending a two line text message.

You've absolutely nailed it mate.

Even when we got the penalty overturned for salah against West Brom I was shaking my head.

To take an age to decide what should've been a split second "no that's not a clear and obvious mistake, carry on" is exactly the kind of shit people against VAR were worried about.

They've handled it absolutely horrendously. If you need two or three or four replays to decide it's not clear and obvious.

The problem as well is all the idiot pundits don't help the situation. All the bleating about how disgraceful it was to not overturn the Willian decision, when again it wasn't "a clear and obvious mistake" gets in everyone's heads and no one knows wtf to think.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7914 on: February 18, 2018, 12:42:51 pm »

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7915 on: February 18, 2018, 01:08:31 pm »
Twenty four hours from today,
Pogba Pogba chose not to play,
Instead he said he'd get a new hairstyle,
Cos he wants to raise his profile,
Though his week didn't go to plan,
He said anything is better than,

Sergeant shitcoats spawny tarts club gang.....

We're sergeant shitcoats spawny tarts club gang,
We know you won't enjoy the show,
Fuck knows why people chose to go...

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7916 on: February 18, 2018, 01:13:20 pm »
:lmao

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #7917 on: February 18, 2018, 01:14:50 pm »

How many ropey keepers did they have between Schmiechel and De Gea?

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7918 on: February 18, 2018, 01:17:45 pm »
How many ropey keepers did they have between Schmiechel and De Gea?

Wasn’t Van der Saar decent/more than decent?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #7919 on: February 18, 2018, 01:21:51 pm »

Fuck knows why people chose to go...

;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."