Author Topic: Team Analysis: Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool Tactics (*)  (Read 926125 times)

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
Team Analysis: Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool Tactics (*)
« on: July 15, 2016, 07:32:02 pm »
Came across this off the bloke who wrote it on twitter, it's a Really good read this!

Mentions how Mane will fit in and how Goetze might of

http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/07/15/tactical-analysis-jurgen-klopps-liverpool/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:42:59 pm by SP »

Offline Solidarity Red

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Team Analysis: Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 09:49:56 pm »
Good read that...  Thanks for sharing Liam 8)

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 08:57:44 pm »
Came across this off the bloke who wrote it on twitter, it's a Really good read this!

http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/07/15/tactical-analysis-jurgen-klopps-liverpool/

Wow that is an awesome read

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 06:44:11 pm »
Interesting part on Moreno, and could possibly explain why Klopp will stick with him!

The other key area the opposition were able exploit consistently in transition was behind Alberto Moreno. In general, Liverpool’s left side defense was much more porous than their right, and much of this was because of passes made behind Moreno. Whilst Nathaniel Clyne was generally more conservative in his movement, Moreno often pushed forward on the left.

Whilst this advanced positioning in itself is not a problem, it often created a disconnect in Liverpool’s build-up play during the early months of Klopp’s tenure. Mamadou Sakho was the main passing hub in early build-up during these games, and the impact of his vertical passing ability was lessened due to Moreno’s advanced positioning. Not only does this overly-advanced positioning make it more difficult to reach him in build-up, but it also gives the opposition opportunity to transition behind him. Intelligent positioning from the opposition winger can block the passing lane without dropping too deep to limit his transition threat.
Sometimes this effect can also create more pressure for Liverpool’s midfielders. Because of the distance of the pass needed to reach Moreno, his direct opponent can comfortably leave more space to cover, as he will have more time to reach Moreno whilst the pass is in motion. This allows them to create a more horizontally compact midfield, and allows less space to receive the ball in midfield.

Despite his good top speed, he can also find it difficult to turn quickly to ensure his direct opponent is not a threat in transition. This is due to his tendency to face towards the opposition goal whilst Liverpool has the ball, meaning he has to turn whilst his opponent faces the Liverpool goal. If possession is lost, he then has to turn before sprinting backwards, giving his opponent a head start. Even if he is facing inwards towards play from the left sideline, he still has to make a half-turn whereas his opponent can immediately move forward. When positioned on the same horizontal space on the pitch, this can make it difficult for Moreno to recover.

Once Moreno recovers, he is excellent at making tackles or recovering the ball whilst sprinting. It makes sense to utilise him in an advanced role, as this fits his skillset and the requirements of the team. But this can be fine-turned; simply by dropping slightly deeper in build-up, he could increase his influence and limit the opponent’s opportunity to transition behind him if the ball is lot.

Instead of pushing Moreno deeper in build-up though, this issue was ‘solved’ by shifting Sakho into a wider role in early build-up with a central midfielder often dropping between the two central defenders. Being situated in this wider position allowed Sakho to consistently find Moreno whilst still making his incisive laser passes into central areas. But the different midfield shape had a negative effect on Liverpool’s build-up generally – where once Emre Can would sit, now there was only space.

Of his two-man-midfield partners, neither are able to consistently add value to build-up play. Milner’s proclivity to move away from central areas means he can often only be accessed after a horizontal shift in play rather than from an immediate central pass. Whilst Jordan Henderson has improved his touch and passing ability, his off-ball movement in these phases can be negligible.

This dependence on Emre Can & Mamadou Sakho for ball progression is not sustainable for obvious reasons. This lack of midfield occupation merely gives the opposition more opportunity to counter, much like when Moreno is too advanced. Liverpool’s attacking midfielders will often attempt to fill this space by dropping deeper, and sometimes this creates some reasonably successful rotations. On the right-side Milner’s forward movements could be harnessed to disrupt opposition man-orientations with Lallana dropping into the vacant space, receiving the ball from Clyne in the halfspace. However, these simple movements cannot be relied upon to consistently progress play against strong opposition.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 06:52:51 pm »
Interesting part on Moreno, and could possibly explain why Klopp will stick with him!
I still think Moreno can defend between two boxes ( he had Mahrez in his pocket twice ), where he comes painfully short is defending crosses at the far post. I feel this season will be his last chance where he`ll have to improve his defending especially in the box if he wants to stay in Liverpool beyond next season.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 07:19:14 pm »

Very good read. When I read a piece like that, I realise how limited my tactical knowledge is. There are patterns that I can recognize during play, but not to this level of detail. Always good to gain some more knowledge though. Since I've been critical of Moreno, it was nice to read that we could improve of he takes a lower position. Thanks for sharing.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Re: Team Analysis: Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool Tactics
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 08:31:58 pm »
It is a good analysis.
I do however disagree about Moreno's tackling,his positional play can be improved no doubt-the ill judged & ill timed tackles,wrong side/wrong foot in dangerous & often the penalty area are the majors.
That is a difficult challenge for Moreno,that will take time & I'm not sure he'll ever get there.
Cheers Liam.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 08:07:38 am »
It is a good analysis.
I do however disagree about Moreno's tackling,his positional play can be improved no doubt-the ill judged & ill timed tackles,wrong side/wrong foot in dangerous & often the penalty area are the majors.
That is a difficult challenge for Moreno,that will take time & I'm not sure he'll ever get there.
Cheers Liam.

Moreno does have a good tackling ability. His recovery tackles are second to none in this team. But what lets Moreno down isn't his skills, but the mental aspect to his game. He is prone to concentration lapses, and the phrase 'winging it' cannot be more adept when it comes to describing this trait. I am not sure if that can be coached out of him, to be honest.

There was a while when Moreno played much deeper to close out that space behind him during Rodger's tenure (to be effectively replaced by Gomez/Flanagan/Johnson in that role), that was evident during the 14-15 season. In my opinion, it is a direct result of the Gerrard slip, where Gerrard was the holding midfielder covering the space between the two CB's, and you saw then Skrtel and Sakho/Lovren play much wider. But that meant that if the ball was lost during the transition, the CB's were too far apart to cover any counters, and generally one of the CB's were often stranded.

However, because of the lack of pacy options upfront, our team suffered greatly offensively. Moreno shifting to a more attacking role with Klopp's arrival then brought about the same issues that we saw during the 12-14 seasons, where space opened up behind Moreno. But Klopp solved this dilemma by playing a much more compact formation compared to Rodgers. The CB's stayed in the middle to soak up the pressure, while covering wingers tried to prevent the crosses from coming in. This worked to a degree, but the transitions generally suffered. However, you saw when Milner and Lallana was playing wider that Moreno was afforded more chances to attack. But the former two would generally run themselves into the ground because of it.

Hopefully now with the addition of Mane, Moreno can shift to a more defensive role again. Ibe was unable to hold this role simply because he was not an effective presser, and his transition play was slow and cumbersome. But you can see what Klopp is doing with his buys. He is not buying players and adapting the team around their strengths, he is buying players which fit into spots where the team needs help the most.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 08:09:39 am by Bend It Like Aurelio »

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 08:49:50 am »
Brilliant read that. Thanks for posting

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 08:56:07 am »
"Kick ball about. Don't give it away. Don't let goals in. Score more than the opposition"

AND..

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple."

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 09:28:24 am »
Great read. Amazing how complicated something like that is. It's not only knowing all this stuff that makes them truly world class coaches,it's boiling it down so that even the most stupid footballer -with a bit of listening- can go out on the pitch with clear mind as to whats being asked of him.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 09:34:02 am »
Moreno does have a good tackling ability. His recovery tackles are second to none in this team. But what lets Moreno down isn't his skills, but the mental aspect to his game. He is prone to concentration lapses

To be honest,I was gonna stop reading after your first sentence.
Moreno's tackling is awful,he recovers well & sometimes I'll get a sigh of relief when a dangerous free-kick or penalty isn't conceded,it's different from other defenders doing the same as their judgement & tackling ability is far superior.
There were many times during last season I was screaming "don't dive in,don't dive in" or words to that effect & yep,he dives in-poor tackle,wrong side in the penalty area or a dangerous position.
The positive side to all this is we have JK managing him.

It looks like Klopp has faith in the lad so I'll be right behind Moreno supporting him next term-you have to!

Offline il_principino

• Main Stander
  • You will never walk alone!
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 09:46:29 am »
Moreno does have a good tackling ability. His recovery tackles are second to none in this team. But what lets Moreno down isn't his skills, but the mental aspect to his game. He is prone to concentration lapses, and the phrase 'winging it' cannot be more adept when it comes to describing this trait. I am not sure if that can be coached out of him, to be honest.

And playing high up, putting pressure on coutinho to hold the ball, enter- opposition counterattack! Saw this  a lot last season. he needs a better understanding of the team tactics. coaching will do it. Klopp can certainly mould him into a better player.
---Aesthetic is everything------

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 10:19:51 am »
To be honest,I was gonna stop reading after your first sentence.
Moreno's tackling is awful,he recovers well & sometimes I'll get a sigh of relief when a dangerous free-kick or penalty isn't conceded,it's different from other defenders doing the same as their judgement & tackling ability is far superior.
There were many times during last season I was screaming "don't dive in,don't dive in" or words to that effect & yep,he dives in-poor tackle,wrong side in the penalty area or a dangerous position.
The positive side to all this is we have JK managing him.

It looks like Klopp has faith in the lad so I'll be right behind Moreno supporting him next term-you have to!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3sDrUR1g_2Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3sDrUR1g_2Q</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FDimX2-5yTo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FDimX2-5yTo</a>

Moreno is the only one on this team that can tackle like that, his speed in recovery is immense. Overall, his defensive contribution, when he is on it, is not bad. He led our team in tackles last year (124), ahead of guys like Can and Lucas.

But then in many different instances he is very rash with his decision making, and thus he just 'wings' it, especially in certain cases where he is under little or no pressure, he will do something stupid.

His tackling skill is not in question. Again, it is the mental aspect of what he does, his lapses of concentration, which leads to poor decision making.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 11:18:48 am »
moreno is eratic at defending and always has been....but no questioning his ability with linking with players around him.

all fullbacks in his mould are the same.
vitolo didnt just make an idiot of his best mate....he also did worse to alba very next game...just sevilla didnt score from it.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 11:40:01 am »
BILA,

I don't disagree with all your points & I'm sure there is a boss vid out there of Aly Cissokho too if you look.
If i agreed with you we'd both be wrong  :P
I really hope Moreno proves all his doubters wrong this season including me.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 11:52:13 am »
BILA,

I don't disagree with all your points & I'm sure there is a boss vid out there of Aly Cissokho too if you look.
If i agreed with you we'd both be wrong  :P
I really hope Moreno proves all his doubters wrong this season including me.

What we are talking about isn't too far off from each other. Maybe you don't understand what I'm trying to say.

In a nutshell, Moreno is a gifted footballer. Unfortunately, he's not that smart.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 12:12:39 pm »
What we are talking about isn't too far off from each other. Maybe you don't understand what I'm trying to say.

In a nutshell, Moreno is a gifted footballer. Unfortunately, he's not that smart.

I understand mate,just disagree.
To be a gifted footballer you have to be smart too.
Decision making,awareness,technical ability etc..they all combine to be the footballer you are.
If you said Moreno has the ability to become a gifted footballer,there wouldn't be a debate.
JK will be on it,I think a new LB will possibly make the US tour at some stage-an area we need more competition in.
Onwards & upwards!

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 12:30:53 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3sDrUR1g_2Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3sDrUR1g_2Q</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FDimX2-5yTo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FDimX2-5yTo</a>

Moreno is the only one on this team that can tackle like that, his speed in recovery is immense. Overall, his defensive contribution, when he is on it, is not bad. He led our team in tackles last year (124), ahead of guys like Can and Lucas.

But then in many different instances he is very rash with his decision making, and thus he just 'wings' it, especially in certain cases where he is under little or no pressure, he will do something stupid.

His tackling skill is not in question. Again, it is the mental aspect of what he does, his lapses of concentration, which leads to poor decision making.

The reason Moreno has to make so many recovery tackles is because he is recovering from his own abject defensive positioning.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 01:35:48 pm »
The reason Moreno has to make so many recovery tackles is because he is recovering from his own abject defensive positioning.

That's how I see it too. Those kind of tackles will resul in lots of applauds. Generally, I prefer our defenders to make it look simple. Clyne is a lot better at that and is a bit like Finnan in that regard. Picked for every game, no fuzz, steady performances. Moreno draws attention to him, but half the time for the wrong reasons. Maybe some of it can be helped by him being slightly more defensive, or with better CM options. I don't know. My view now is that he isn't good enough for us. Everyone knows he's a weak link in our team. We do, our opponents as well.

If it was up to me, I'd target a new LB, that CM lankyguy talked about and if there's money left, I'd look for a new striker next.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 02:02:45 pm »

It's actually not his defensive positioning, it's his attacking positioning.  Those tackles above don't show it but you'd assume they are occurring after a loss of possession.  Read the quoted section of the article a couple of posts up which describes really well the problems Moreno has with his positioning and where opponents look to play after a loss of possession. 

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 02:13:59 pm »

The thing is though, to be fair to our poor Moreno, you have to look at whether or not he is further upfield because he is stupid, or if he's asked to be there. If you look at most of our games that he's involved in, his starting position is always near the halfway line, and by the middle of the transition, he's always at the most advanced position in line with the last defender. This has consistently been the case.

Does he lose possession in advanced positions? Sure, but so does Coutinho. He does his fair share of tracking back to get into decent interception positions. That's why he leads our team in tackles last year, because teams do go after that side of the field. But is it all his fault? Certainly not. He however is defensively suspect in many situations, much more so than Clyne is. But they are different type of players. Moreno, by all accounts, is much more suited to a WB role rather than a LB role.

He doesn't defend smartly, no, and he makes a lot of mistakes. But I wouldn't blame him for something that really isn't all his fault.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 05:43:12 pm »
The thing is though, to be fair to our poor Moreno, you have to look at whether or not he is further upfield because he is stupid, or if he's asked to be there. If you look at most of our games that he's involved in, his starting position is always near the halfway line, and by the middle of the transition, he's always at the most advanced position in line with the last defender. This has consistently been the case.

Does he lose possession in advanced positions? Sure, but so does Coutinho. He does his fair share of tracking back to get into decent interception positions. That's why he leads our team in tackles last year, because teams do go after that side of the field. But is it all his fault? Certainly not. He however is defensively suspect in many situations, much more so than Clyne is. But they are different type of players. Moreno, by all accounts, is much more suited to a WB role rather than a LB role.

He doesn't defend smartly, no, and he makes a lot of mistakes. But I wouldn't blame him for something that really isn't all his fault.

I see your point but I don't think Klopp would deliberately utilise Moreno in a system that sacrifices his defensive positioning. If he did I'd be very concerned. Perhaps some of his problems stem from being told to get forward but I suspect many of them are down to his own ineptitude. There are things in his game that can't really be explained by the tactical system imposed by Klopp. The constant running over the ball when attempting to intercept, the rash attempts to clear balls, poor positional awareness and poor decision making. More specifically related to what we are discussing about recovery - he doesn't always recover. Quite often Moreno gets caught out and doesn't recover. I've lost count of how many times we've been left exposed on our left flank and I'm left saying: "Where on earth is Moreno?" He simply doesn't possess the intelligence to be a defender and his attacking attributes are grossly overrated. There is no end product in his game.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 08:07:35 pm »
I think Mane on the left with Moreno will help him greatly!

klopp must see something we don't by sticking by him and not splashing the cash getting a new LB, next summer may be different if Moreno doesn't improve

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 08:35:48 pm »

klopp must see something we don't by sticking by him and not splashing the cash getting a new LB, next summer may be different if Moreno doesn't improve

Mane has only played on the left once this pre-season hasn't he?  I think Coutinho will be on the left with Mane on the right the majority of the season. 

Offline hitnrock

• Kopite
  • Rafa's Red And White Kop
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2016, 04:51:35 am »

I think Klopp wants Moreno to be his offensive full back and so understands that every now and then it might lead to an opportunity for the opposition to score.

Moreno's positioning shows he's near the half way line when we have the ball. That means Klopp would be right in his face if he was making a mistake and so would be told to correct it. This means he's been told to stay a bit further. Our adjustment to Sakho's positioning further proves that it is by intent that Moreno's a bit further forward.

A lot of people blaming him for losing possession in advanced positions but it's rather Coutinho losing possession (more often than not because he's trying to create an opportunity) when Moreno's forward.

Everybody just points to Clyne but fail to realize that Clyne is a far more defensive minded full back (with better defensive ability as well) and generally the player ahead of him is Lallana, Milner or Firmino. None of them lose the ball as much as Coutinho but are also very tenacious about getting it back if they lose it.

Maybe if we sign the CM that we want, Dahoud for instance, then Moreno's workload at recovering might be reduced. The reason for that would be that Coutinho then wouldn't have to drop so deep to get the ball to make something happen and so less likely to lose the ball in a dangerous position.
Waiting for Gerrard is like waiting for Goku.
Only a few moments remaining until Goku arrives.
Next week:

Goku is almost there, can he stop the ginyu force?
Next week:

Goku is about to arrive, is he up to the challenge?

;)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 06:21:48 am »
You can teach a player defensive structure. You send players down the gym. You can't teach pace and I think that is why Klopp will persevere with Moreno this season. Hopefully with strong competition from Chilwell.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 06:22:51 am »
It's not about getting caught out of position, it's the rash actions. Maybe it's just perceived by me but I worry about him letting a man passed him, getting a red card, giving away a penalty or losing his man at the far post in situations where the defence is set and in position far more than him getting caught out in transition, the quick transition ones, those are acceptable in my eyes.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline opsteo

• Kopite
Pressing - different forms n understanding how our team play
« Reply #28 on: October 7, 2016, 07:45:02 am »
http://theinsidechannel.com/guide-pressing-soccer-tactics/

Quality read.. It is long but I learn more about our team vs how Spurs, Barcelona used to play and even how Man U n Man City will play..

A Guide to Pressing in Soccer Tactics
by Jake Meador

A Guide to Pressing in Soccer Tactics

Since the ascent of Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola, it has become commonplace for tactics writers to talk about a team being committed to pressing. Unfortunately, however, this term is becoming increasingly useless as it is being used to describe a variety of fairly different tactical philosophies. You can say that Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp, and Diego Simeone all believe in pressing—and you’d be right. You’d also have said practically nothing useful about how the managers set their teams up given that each represents a unique take on how to attack the ball when out of possession.
Like many tactical innovations, pressing first became popular in eastern Europe.
Pressing requires shared movement by an entire team to be effective. If one player chases the ball around the field independently of any shared movement with the rest of the team the player will wear out quickly and obvious holes will open up in the defense which the attacking team should be able to exploit with minimal difficulty. (Brett Rainbow’s breakdown of Tottenham’s inconsistent press in Mauricio Pochettino’s first season is essential reading on this point.)

Thus it is not a surprise that it was the eastern Europeans, who were predictably less individualistic in their sensibilities than England or most South American nations, who first developed pressing as a consistent tactical method.

In particular legendary managers Victor Maslov and Valeriy Lobanovskiy helped to develop a system that squeezed the field and limited the opposition’s time on the ball. They rode this system to remarkable success at Dynamo Kyiv and their influence gradually expanded to the rest of the world and has been particularly felt in Spain, Germany, and Argentina.
In the modern game, there are several different approaches to pressing.

We should begin this discussion by talking about what these systems have in common. All of them expect players to run a lot. Jurgen Klopp has exiled players who wouldn’t run for him, most notably marquee striker signing Ciro Immobile last year at Dortmund. Mauricio Pochettino did the same at Southampton with club-record signing Gaston Ramirez . Pep Guardiola showed no hesitation in selling Thierry Henry, Samuel Eto’o, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Diego Simeone, meanwhile, butted heads with striker Mario Mandzukic over the Croat’s low work-rate and was seen laughing at new signing Luciano Vietto as he struggled with the intense training Simeone requires after first arriving at the club:

A second point is that pressing systems can actually be incredibly effective defensive tactics if practiced correctly. Though it is often thought of as being primarily about how a team attacks, pressing styles are often as much about defending as they are attacking. Diego Simeone’s Atletico conceded .68 goals per game during their title-winning campaign in 2013-14. Klopp’s Dortmund gave up .64 goals per game in 2010-11. And though stats for the Clasico clubs are always a bit skewed, Barcelona gave up .55 goals per game in 2010-11 under Guardiola.

That said, there are a number of key differences in how different managers use pressing. The problem with many discussions of the term is that it fails to account for these differences or to understand how these differences shape the overall philosophy of the club:
When does the manager want his team to press? Immediately after losing possession? Only when players receive the ball in certain areas? Do they do this for as much of the 90 minutes as possible or only for certain portions of it?

What triggers the press? Is it focused chiefly around the ball being turned over or is it more about specific cues, such as an opponent receiving the ball in their own half with their back to goal or a player being forced to chase down a pass played out to the wing?
Where on the field do they look to press the ball? Do they press all over the field or do they only focus their pressing around one area of the field?
How long do they press the ball? Do they continue to chase the ball after the initial press or do they back off if the first wave of pressure fails to win the ball?
The Three Main Approaches to Pressing
There are three main schools of thought on how to use pressing. Each answers the above questions in different ways. Sometimes the differences between the schools are small; sometimes they are enormous.

These are the three schools:
The Bielsa school (Pep Guardiola, Marcelo Bielsa, Mauricio Pochettino—and yes, if you want to call this the Guardiola school that’s fine. I’m going with Bielsa because he came before Guardiola chronologically.)
The Mourinho school (Jose Mourinho, Diego Simeone)
The German school (Jurgen Klopp, Roger Schmidt)
Tellingly, each of these three schools has either sent a team to a Champions League final or won a Champions League title, which goes some way to explaining the appeal of pressing as a general element of a broader vision for how soccer should be played. Teams that perfect a pressing system often end up becoming far better than you’d expect them to be given their talent level.
The 13-14 La Liga winning Atletico side that beat Ronaldo’s Real Madrid and Messi’s Barça to the title is a case in point, although Mauricio Pochettino’s over-achieving 2013-14 Southampton side and Jurgen Klopp’s Borussia Dortmund teams also probably over-achieved given their talent levels and competition. Klopp’s Dortmund was certainly talented, but then two of his most important players, Shinji Kagawa and Nuri Sahin, have never looked remotely close to the same elite level when playing for anyone other than Klopp.

The Bielsa School
The Bielsa approach has been chiefly developed by Argentine manager Marcelo Bielsa. Mauricio Pochettino and Pep Guardiola are two managers whose approach most closely mirrors that of Bielsa, although both have also altered the system in some ways. That said, for all the variation between the three managers, there are some identifiable similarities across all three systems:
Teams press all the way up to the opposition goalkeeper. This means that when the ball is played back to the goalkeeper it is not unusual for Bielsa sides to keep pressing, even when most other pressing teams would back off. (This is a point Mauricio Pochettino made in comparing his approach to new Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp’s.) This pressing nearly led to a goal in Tottenham’s 5-1 win over Bournemouth last weekend:

Teams play with an advanced defensive line that helps to squeeze the field and limit space for the opponent, thereby making it easier to press.
When in possession, teams use lateral ball and player movement to force opposition defenders to shift left and right across the field, which creates gaps in the defense to attack. Thus Bielsa teams typically post the highest possession numbers of the three schools.

Central forwards are often used in unconventional ways, routinely being played in wider parts of the field and making outside-in runs to receive through balls played into the spaces created through fast, lateral ball movement. I wrote about how Spurs do this under Pochettino recently, but a similar principle applies to Pep Guardiola’s use of Thierry Henry, Samuel Eto’o, and, most notably, David Villa.
Bielsa teams generally play more narrowly with only two players typically operating as true wide men. This is because these teams not only squeeze the field vertically with a high defensive line, they also squeeze it horizontally because keeping multiple players within close proximity of each other makes pressing much easier as well as enabling the teams to play their preferred short, lateral passes that create gaps in the defense. Bielsa often achieves this narrowness with a 3-3-3-1 formation. Guardiola has also used a three man backline at Bayern and relied upon a similarly narrow approach that has, at times, been too narrow. Though he uses the more conventional 4-2-3-1, Pochettino teams are likewise quite narrow as the wide forwards tend to crash inside and play more in the channels then out on the wings, leaving only the fullbacks as proper wide players.

The most important features of the system are the narrow play and lateral movement, the relentless chasing of the ball once the press has been triggered even so far as the opposition goalkeeper, and the unconventional use of center forwards. It is not a coincidence that two of the more creative uses of central forwards in recent years are both products of this school with Pep Guardiola’s false 9 at Barcelona and Pochettino’s wide number 9 at Southampton and Spurs.

The system runs on versatile, industrious players who are comfortable all over the field and understand how to move as a unit in order to keep the defensive shape of the team and prevent defensive breakdowns.

The Mourinho School
It’s counter-intuitive to hear “Jose Mourinho” and “pressing” in the same sentence because in the popular imagination “pressing” and “Pep Guardiola” are basically linked and Mourinho has always been painted, due in no small part to his own encouragement of this image, as the anti-Guardiola.
That description is not entirely inaccurate. But it is not because Mourinho does not believe in pressing, but rather because of how his teams practice the press. Mourinho’s chief concern as a manager is reducing risk. He (rightly) sees soccer as being governed largely by chance and so he wants to do everything he can as a manager to hedge his bets and reduce the element of risk for his team. This piece in the Guardian is the essential article for understanding Mourinho’s vision for the game.
This basic desire to reduce risk means that Mourinho teams renounce one of the most important staples of both the Bielsa and German schools: the high defensive line. While the high line can be devastating because of how it squeezes the field, it also accounts for the biggest vulnerability in both the Bielsa and German schools. Teams with fast, clever strikers can simply lump long balls over the top for their strikers to chase. This, of course, was the cardinal failing of Andre Villas-Boas‘s Chelsea and Tottenham teams as Villas-Boas tried to impose a high-line scheme on defenses that featured John Terry and Michael Dawson in prominent roles.

However, although Mourinho teams play a much deeper defensive line (sometimes also called a “low block”) they do press quite aggressively in specific situations once the ball is in the defensive third.
Consider, for example, this chart of tackles from last season’s 1-0 win against a hot Manchester United team that had just picked up what is still their finest result of the post-Ferguson era in a 4-2 Manchester derby victory over City:

In the game Chelsea attempted 39 tackles. Of the lot, 28 were attempted in their own half and seven more were attempted just past the halfway line. For comparison’s sake, this year Tottenham attempts more tackles per game than anyone else in the Premier League and they are only attempting 24 tackles per match.

This, however, was something of a classic Mourinho match as Chelsea closed on the ball with a fanatical energy in their own half and then launched quick counter-attacking movements which, though they don’t necessarily have a high chance of success also did not have a high chance of putting the team into a dangerous position. Mourinho knows he only needs one of those attacks to work. And “work” could mean that it ends with a normal, open play goal, that it wins a penalty, or sets up a high percentage set piece situation. But he should only need a single goal with his defensive system.

In this particular match that is precisely what happened. United had 70.7% possession and out-passed Chelsea 606 to 199. And Chelsea won 1-0. On Expected Goals it was close, but when you compare the chances created you understand what Mourinho did:

Chelsea’s three best chances were all better than any chance created by United even though United outshot Chelsea 15-7. (The Chelsea goal came from the shot that is on the elbow of the six-yard box on the left side of goal.)
The way these chances are created is also fairly apparent from the tackle chart above: Chelsea presses most regularly when the ball is played into wide areas. This is because pressing in wide parts of the field is more effective for the simple reason that the sideline serves as an extra defender. Additionally, when the ball is won in wide areas the passing lanes to get the ball forward quickly are typically more open because there are fewer opposition players in wide areas. You can see this, for example, in this Atletico goal from 2013-14:

Besides Mourinho, the most notable proponent of this approach is Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone. Depending on how you analyze Simeone’s tactics, he either commits fewer people to defense or more. While Mourinho has always used a lone striker system, either in a 4-3-3 as in his early days at Porto and Chelsea or in a 4-2-3-1 more recently, Simeone typically uses a two striker system and defends in the famous two banks of four.

However, Simeone’s two banks of four are set extremely deep and the two strikers tend to set up closer to midfield than the attacking third when defending. Though this is an extreme example, you can see the basic idea below :

In the above case the Atleti are playing Barcelona so they have an even deeper line than normal. However, the difference is simply one of degree. Atletico always play a deep line and they always defend in two banks of four with two strikers sitting on top ready to chase the ball if afforded the opportunity or spring into a counter attack should they win the ball in a position that allows them to counter.
The other thing to note in this approach is that teams playing this low-block pressing style are going to maintain the same narrow shape we see in the Bielsa and German schools, but for a different reason. Bielsa teams are narrow both because they want to press effectively and they can play short, lateral passes more easily and at a higher percentage. German teams play narrower because they want to press more effectively and break forward in numbers.
Mourinho teams are narrow because they are playing the numbers and know that the central attacking zone is by far the most dangerous area of the pitch for defenders. This area, sometimes called “zone 14” if you use the map shown below, is the area they want to defend. So the two deep, narrow banks of four essentially concede the entire field up to about 35 yards from goal and then concede the half circle around the goal from that distance on in. Their goal is to block all access to zones 14, 16, 17, and 18:

Note how the Atletico defense basically concedes the half circle around the danger zone to Barcelona. But also note how quickly they close on the ball once the ball movement stagnates a bit on the Barcelona left wing. From there if they win the ball and spring a counter to one of their strikers you basically have the Mourinho-Simeone approach captured in a single sequence.
The German School

In many ways, the German school is similar to the Bielsa school. (I argued just last week that Jurgen Klopp‘s hiring at Liverpool signals that Liverpool is basically mimicking Spurs in their approach to competing against richer rivals.) Both systems emphasize a high defensive line, narrow play, and pressing high up the field.

However, there are several key differences in the systems.
To begin, consider the striker play. In the Bielsa school the lateral movement is key to creating space to attack. Though it is far from possession for possession’s sake, there is a lot of drifting left to right as the team waits for the opposition to crack open. The German school, in contrast, pushes the ball vertically and so requires strikers to stay more central in the majority of cases.
The two heat maps below illustrate the difference. The first shows Harry Kane’s passes received in last weekend’s 5-1 win over Bournemouth. As has often been the case with Kane, he spent long chunks of the match drifting out onto the left wing to receive the ball:
harry-kane-passes-received-v-bournemouth
Now contrast that with the passes received by Robert Lewandowski in Borussia Dortmund’s 5-1 belting of Werder Bremen in Lewandowski’s final season at the Westfalerstadion:
robert-lewandowski-passes-received-v-werder-bremen
Note that while Kane is always coming wide to receive the ball so that he can then run at the channels of space between defenders, Lewandowski is receiving almost all his passes in central areas. And most of the passes he is receiving above are medium-to-long range passes. The goal in the German school is to increase the pace of the game as much as possible by pushing the ball vertically down the field as soon as it is won. The brief clip below illustrates how this works:
dortmund-counter-press
This, obviously, means that German school teams will turn the ball over more regularly. But this doesn’t bother them. They simply win it back. This is another notable difference between the German school and the Bielsa school. The Bielsa school presses when certain pressing cues are activated, such as a player receiving the ball facing his own goal in his defensive third:
spurs-goal-vs-arsenal
Bielsa teams press in that situation because they have a high chance of winning the ball if the player tries to turn and play it forward and, if he plays it backwards, they can simply continue the press all the way up to the keeper which will likely lead to a turnover or a throw in.
German school teams, in contrast, focus on winning the ball back as quickly as possible after it is turned over. For them the press is triggered the moment the ball is lost to the opposition. However, if the opposition can retain possession after the first wave of pressure, it’s not unusual to see German school teams back off slightly and drop deeper, defending in the classic two banks of four shape as the two wide attackers drop off and link up with the two midfielders.
This is something you’ll also see Pochettino’s Spurs do on occasion, particularly in matches when the Argentine boss thinks a more cautious approach is necessary. However, you’re not likely to ever see Bielsa or Guardiola do anything like this, despite some of their other similarities to the German school. Bielsa teams, for example, are rather notorious for using a strict man-marking scheme which means you almost never see them sitting in two banks of four. Guardiola, likewise, stubbornly refuses to adopt such a defensive approach, even in games when he probably should.
The best way to get at the difference between the two approaches may be talking about the idea of verticality. German school teams want to be attacking vertically as much as they possibly can. The goal is to push the ball forward and create a shot as soon as possible.
Bielsa teams typically want to win the ball just as quickly, but they are not going to simply launch the ball forward to create a shot. Once the ball has been won there will be an initial look to see if a quick break could be on and, if it isn’t, you’ll see more lateral ball movement as the team probes the opposition defense. It rarely hits the same levels as the Guardiola Barcelona teams, of course, but it is more patient than the classic German approach of Dortmund from 2010-11 through 2012-13 or last season’s Leverkusen.
To illustrate the point, consider this Christian Eriksen passing chart as a left attacker in Pochettino’s 4-2-3-1 with that of his new teammate Heung-Min Son in action for Leverkusen last season:
christian-eriksen-vs-hull-city
Now compare with Son’s performance in Leverkusen’s 5-1 battering of Cologne last year:
heung-min-son-leverkusen-v-cologne
Though he still plays a lot of short passes passes what you’re seeing are less the kind of back-and-forth passes that you often see in Bielsa teams and more the short quick one-touch passes that define the Leverkusen rush. (Michael Caley’s piece on Leverkusen is the must-read piece on Roger Schmidt, but I have also written about him as well.)
Conclusion
Pressing is one of the great topics du jour in the world of soccer blogging and quite understandably given the number of elite managers who use it in one way or another. The list of managers we’ve discussed in this piece is a who’s who in soccer management—Pep Guardiola, Marcelo Bielsa, Mauricio Pochettino, Jose Mourinho, Diego Simeone, Jurgen Klopp, and Roger Schmidt.
That said, different pressing styles can vary a great deal. The Bielsa, Mourinho, and German schools all vary a fair amount and even the individual managers mentioned above differ in smaller ways. Pochettino, for example, is the lone Bielsa manager to play 4-2-3-1 consistently. Schmidt, meanwhile, has his teams shoot more frequently than Klopp teams typically do. And Simeone plays a 4-4-2 while Mourinho typically goes 4-2-3-1. So if we’re going to talk sensibly about tactics and pressing in particular, we need more specific ways of doing that. We need to talk about high blocks vs low blocks, pressing triggers, and player movement. When we do that, then we’re on our way to having an interesting conversation about this ubiquitous trend in soccer tactics.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:41:39 am by opsteo »

Offline nyrrard

• Anny Roader
  • at the end of the storm there's a Golden sky!
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2016, 02:37:00 am »
Very interesting read re the last post.

Any PoPs who have insight in the world of Klopptastic tactics? Used to love reading about Rodgers tactics.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2016, 10:05:24 am »
Jürgen Klopp teaches Liverpool the art of filling space dynamically
Michael Cox

Liverpool feature various forwards who drift around – Philippe Coutinho, Adam Lallana and Sadio Mané – but at Crystal Palace they dovetailed superbly

Liverpool remain a work in progress but it’s coming together promisingly. During Jürgen Klopp’s first campaign at Anfield the players adapted quickly to his high-energy, heavy-pressing system and regularly disrupted the opposition’s passing but they only sporadically formulated quick, incisive attacking moves themselves.

This season things have improved significantly. The pressing is still impressively efficient and remains an extremely useful way of creating chances but Liverpool’s passing interplay makes them a more complete attacking force. Their 69 shots on target this season is the most in the Premier League.

The most impressive aspect of their 4-2 victory over Crystal Palace on Saturday evening was the manner in which they filled space dynamically. This side feature various forwards who drift around – Philippe Coutinho, Adam Lallana, Sadio Mané – and with multiple players varying position there is a danger it will become congested in the centre, where they all prefer to play. That was never a problem at Selhurst Park with team-mates making a reverse run whenever a player drifted out of his natural zone.

iverpool’s opener, scored by Emre Can, was a perfect example. As Liverpool built up play in the centre of midfield Coutinho wandered inside from his left-sided role – which in isolation felt unnecessary considering Jordan Henderson and Can were patrolling that zone effectively, with Lallana in a more advanced zone.

Coutinho’s shift prompted movement from others. The left-back Alberto Moreno, making a rare Premier League start in place of the unwell James Milner, raced forward on the overlap while Can responded by charging into a goalscoring position inside the box. Liverpool were offering movement but also balance and the goal involved all three players: Coutinho chipped a ball over the top for Moreno; he played a cushioned, sidefooted, volleyed cutback towards Can, who fired home via a slight deflection. It was a fantastic goal in itself but given the context of Liverpool’s excellent movement it felt somehow fitting.

The player who benefits most from all this movement is Coutinho. On paper the left-sided position does not particularly suit him – in a more rigid team he would be stuck in uncomfortable zones and in a less cohesive team any drifts into the centre would leave the side unbalanced – but Coutinho is allowed to take up his preferred midfield positions, often finding space away from opponents. At times he controlled Saturday’s game, in addition to providing some incisive passes in behind. For all his talent Coutinho has sometimes struggled to offer a consistent influence on games, but his form this season has been excellent.

Good partnerships were obvious throughout the final third, however. Mané charges into goalscoring positions from his right-sided starting role, which works well considering Roberto Firmino often drops into deeper positions; Liverpool arguably play without a conventional centre‑forward but that role is always filled by someone. When Mané vacates his zone a team-mate fills in, typically Nathaniel Clyne on the overlap but sometimes Lallana drifting right. At full speed, and combined with sharp passing, it’s a wonderful spectacle.

Nevertheless it is impossible to ignore Liverpool’s defensive weakness. The nature of Palace’s first goal – Dejan Lovren inexplicably teeing up the ball for the onrushing James McArthur to head home, was laughable and the second, when McArthur again headed home, from a right-wing Wilfried Zaha cross, also asked questions of the centre-backs.

For long periods Lovren and Joël Matip are barely exposed, courtesy of Liverpool’s pressing and Jordan Henderson’s fine work in this relatively new defensive midfield role. Both centre-backs are comfortable high up the pitch, and that aggressive positioning worked well against an aerial threat like Benteke. Too often, though, they are simply found wanting in basic defensive situations, and the addition of the goalkeeper Loris Karius has not added any obvious authority to Liverpool are the back.

It used to be said great teams were built from the defence but Klopp is taking a very different approach. First, there was the impressive pressing high up the pitch. Next, there was the slick possession play and integrated movement. The defensive solidity required to win a title is yet to be witnessed. On the evidence so far we may have to wait until next season before Liverpool become efficient at both ends of the pitch.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/oct/30/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-crystal-palace-premier-league
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2016, 12:19:48 pm »
Some good reads here, thanks
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2016, 01:30:18 pm »
i never knew football was so complicated. really interesting to understand (??) what they are trying to do.

kind of dispels the idea that top players are thick. 

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2016, 02:09:49 pm »
i never knew football was so complicated. really interesting to understand (??) what they are trying to do.

kind of dispels the idea that top players are thick.
Not that I think footballers are any more thick than any other member of society but I don't determine if someone is thick or not based on if they can make movements they're told to on a football pitch.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2016, 02:28:24 pm »

Any PoPs who have insight in the world of Klopptastic tactics?

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2016, 02:36:16 pm »
Any PoPs who have insight in the world of Klopptastic tactics?
"He just tells players to go where they want" - Alan Shearer
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2016, 02:38:06 pm »
It's nice to see our formations are fluid. The gegenpress seems alive and well but I'm also happy to see the old LFC standard of pass and move.

Klopp's teams seem to know what they're doing. But what seems great to me, the difference between competent and superb, is the system also allows for plenty of moments of individual flair, genius, effort, or other personal traits.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2016, 02:40:50 pm »
The shape is really important because it gives you the best chance to win the ball back when you lose it in the final third but I remember from MNF Klopp doesn`t mind who is in which position as long as they`re occupied.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2016, 03:43:37 pm »
The shape is really important because it gives you the best chance to win the ball back when you lose it in the final third but I remember from MNF Klopp doesn`t mind who is in which position as long as they`re occupied.
That's the key thing really. Shape's less crucial in attack than it is in defence but occupying the key spaces is still important and combining that with rotation and mobility means you can fill those spaces whilst being harder to defend against. Part of the reason we struggled to break down Man United was that we lacked that positional mobility. Coutinho had no reason to rotate because he was already filling his preferred zone (as opposed to when he plays LW where he can move from out-to-in and is harder to mark), Can didn't make the sort of selfless runs that Lallana makes that allow Mane to move inside and roam, Firmino dropped off too deep at times to get on the ball and consequently, Sturridge was left isolated (and he doesn't have the movement that Firmino has to support the play anyway).

However, what we've seen for most of the season is an attacking unit that plays off one another, understands how to fill positions whilst also interchanging with each other and making it difficult for teams to keep their shape. Most attacking sides don't have the sort of mobility that our attacking players offer and if they do, they don't understand how to fill the spaces. Other teams do know how to fill the spaces but are easy to defend against because they don't interchange or rotate. When we're playing well (which we have been for most of this season) we've got both of those things and that makes us an absolute nightmare to play against. It's why I think we're the best attack in the league in terms of how we operate as a unit.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 03:45:19 pm by lankyguy007. »
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2016, 03:48:55 pm »
When we're playing well (which we have been for most of this season) we've got both of those things and that makes us an absolute nightmare to play against. It's why I think we're the best attack in the league in terms of how we operate as a unit.
Can we achieve all this with a Sturridge/Origi traditional no.9 or is this idea of a false 9 with Firmino what gives us this amazing fluidity in the final third? I`m kinda leaning towards the latter as Mane and Phil are getting better and better at timing their runs when exploiting the space Firmino often vacates.