Author Topic: Is Google/WhatsApp/Facebook listening to our conversations for targeted ads?  (Read 106747 times)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/03/research-facebook-probably-isnt-listening-phone/

Some people still believe that their phones are listening in to gather data that will inform targeted advertising or compromise their privacy. Facebook has directly denied that its apps are listening in Congressional hearings, but there hasn't been a rigorous scientific study of the issue. Academics at Northeastern University, however, have finally done just that (though only on Android devices).

As reported by Gizmodo, researchers Elleen Pan, Jingjing Ren, Martina Lindorfer, Christo Wilson, and David Choffnes studied more than 17,000 apps, including ones from Facebook and those that send information to Facebook, to see if any of them were capturing audio via Android phone microphones. As you might have guessed, the researchers found no evidence of apps activating the microphone or sending audio on the sly.

They did, however, discover something disturbing: some apps were sending phone screen recordings out to third parties. In one case, they found that GoPuff, a junk food delivery app, was sending screen shots and video recordings of user screens to analytics company, AppSee. That might make sense in our highly connected world, but this behavior was not disclosed in GoPuff's privacy policy (the company has since added a line to cover the usage).

Not wanting to come across as a conspiracy nut, but just because it doesn't now, doesn't mean it never has. Facebook, Google etc are always updating the apps, so they could have pulled the code anytime after the heat started getting too hot. The only way this can ever be proved is to go through all the old code. I don't know if Facebook keep old copies, we do at work, we use it sometimes where business decisions meant code was deleted and then with a mood change, they decide they want it back, so we just copy from the old version(s).

That last one is very disturbing, especially with the amount of people who use their phones to access bank accounts, paypal etc. If they are recording screens, then how do we know they aren't also logging which keys are pressed as the same time, very easy to get pins and passwords.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
I assume they were logging what happened within their app, rather than constantly logging the screens.

With regards to the apps, the likes of FBs apps will ALWAYS have been tested by various security researchers to try and unearth something like constant voice recording/data being sent. Whilst this is the first published educational study, it’s certainly not the first time their apps have been tested.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I assume they were logging what happened within their app, rather than constantly logging the screens.

With regards to the apps, the likes of FBs apps will ALWAYS have been tested by various security researchers to try and unearth something like constant voice recording/data being sent. Whilst this is the first published educational study, it’s certainly not the first time their apps have been tested.

All these apps are running in the background, so I worry that they could be triggered and silently recording when you connect to another app, such as your bank account.

I read the Gizmodo report and they admit they didn't use humans but a programme and didn't check for text files being sent, so they came to the conclusion they "probably" are not, but they could easily have missed it. However, I do agree that most targeted ads are because of the personal data they hold - I'm a male over 50 so stuff like funeral plans, prostate issues, pensions will apply to me and I will get that kind of targetting, but its the random stuff to do with work, such as our share price appearing on my sons Ipad, that he had just got from his deceased granddad, after I spoke about it that makes me wonder.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
It goes a lot on location, WIFI network, etc. too. So they can link devices, people who work together, etc.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
It goes a lot on location, WIFI network, etc. too. So they can link devices, people who work together, etc.

I think what we know for sure is that the dark arts that are at work with targeted advertising are incredibly sophisticated. What I find difficult to believe, is that making highly accurate guesses about people's various predilections based on a curious brew of geolocation, social media links, friends' buying habits and one's own personal interests is less complex and less intrusive (and as effective) than simply processing waveforms and returning adverts based on that.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
I think what we know for sure is that the dark arts that are at work with targeted advertising are incredibly sophisticated. What I find difficult to believe, is that making highly accurate guesses about people's various predilections based on a curious brew of geolocation, social media links, friends' buying habits and one's own personal interests is less complex and less intrusive (and as effective) than simply processing waveforms and returning adverts based on that.

It's less complex because one involves collecting and building up a profile of you based on shit loads of data collected from a lot of places, once they have that it's rather easy to provide targeted ads. If you've ever taken a look on the other side of things, buying targeted ads on the likes of Google Adwords, then you'll see the various targeting that is currently available to purchase.

Where as to accurately collect voice data, know who exactly was saying what, and then more important take the context of what they were saying is still incredibly difficult. I mean the likes of Siri struggles with understanding phrases it has been preprogrammed to understand. So I am really not sure we're at a stage where it could listen to you and I talking about garden sheds, me saying I'm looking to buy one but hate wooden ones and ideally want some sort of custom made plastic one, whilst you say you hate sheds and would never have one in your garden, and then understand all that context and serve up the right adverts to me only.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Just had another one of these...we were talking in work earlier about the new car a colleague is getting and I'd not heard of it, can't remember it now but it's a foreign name and we weren't sure how to pronounce it.

Anyway, just got an advert for the car come up on on my Instagram feed...literally never seen this make of car before in my life and have had this conversation earlier and nothing else, no internet searching etc. ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Just had another one of these...we were talking in work earlier about the new car a colleague is getting and I'd not heard of it, can't remember it now but it's a foreign name and we weren't sure how to pronounce it.

Anyway, just got an advert for the car come up on on my Instagram feed...literally never seen this make of car before in my life and have had this conversation earlier and nothing else, no internet searching etc. ;D

You couldn't pronounce the name but somehow your phone managed to decipher it and send you an ad?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

That would only confirm how bad this would be at targeting.

I mean you simply had a conversation about someone else buying one, you’re not looking for a new car, you don’t even know the brand or the models it offers, yet they served an advert up to you.

If I was the advertiser then that would be wasted money and I’d not be too happy about that.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Oh I know, it just made me laugh at how weird it was that I've literally never heard of this car before and yet got a targeted ad from them today, a few hours after the conversation. ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Oh I know, it just made me laugh at how weird it was that I've literally never heard of this car before and yet got a targeted ad from them today, a few hours after the conversation. ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases#Frequency_illusion

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
For those who are concerned about this and haven't heard this before.
Check out this podcast.

https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/109-facebook-spying
I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
For those who are concerned about this and haven't heard this before.
Check out this podcast.

https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/109-facebook-spying

I read through half the podcast transcript and it’s all stuff we already know or credulous hearsay.

Facebook etc use complex algorithms to target us with adverts. From a very limited number of data points they can predict with a very high degree of accuracy what your interests are.

There are also thousands of random adverts that we don’t pick up on normally but if something’s come up in conversation it stands out.

This has been around for ages now but it’s still just anecdote and a few half-arsed uncontrolled ‘experiments’. If this is real there should be billions of data points and it should be a piece of piss to run a properly controlled experiment. Why bother though when it’s easier just to have a whinge on the internet.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
I read through half the podcast transcript and it’s all stuff we already know or credulous hearsay.

Facebook etc use complex algorithms to target us with adverts. From a very limited number of data points they can predict with a very high degree of accuracy what your interests are.

There are also thousands of random adverts that we don’t pick up on normally but if something’s come up in conversation it stands out.

This has been around for ages now but it’s still just anecdote and a few half-arsed uncontrolled ‘experiments’. If this is real there should be billions of data points and it should be a piece of piss to run a properly controlled experiment. Why bother though when it’s easier just to have a whinge on the internet.

You have a lot of faith in governments and tech companies.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/03/research-facebook-probably-isnt-listening-phone/
Phew, thank fuck for that!
Made up that those multi million dollar companies weren't doing anything wrong, feel a right twat now calling them out.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Phew, thank fuck for that!
Made up that those multi million dollar companies weren't doing anything wrong, feel a right twat now calling them out.

Just don't be saying that out loud or god knows what adverts you'll get.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
:) I'll let you know...
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Maybe adverts for grass ;)

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
You have a lot of faith in governments and tech companies.

That's a weird non-sequitur. What do governments or tech companies have with the ability to carry out controlled experiments?

I don't have 'faith' in tech companies - I'm extremely wary of what they do. I downloaded my Facebook profile and there's not a great deal there because I know how their algorithms work.

As I said, they have incredible algorithms that can make extremely good predictions about someone's interests, politics, sexual orientation and much more without needing to listen to the microphone on your phone.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
That's a weird non-sequitur. What do governments or tech companies have with the ability to carry out controlled experiments?

I don't have 'faith' in tech companies - I'm extremely wary of what they do. I downloaded my Facebook profile and there's not a great deal there because I know how their algorithms work.

As I said, they have incredible algorithms that can make extremely good predictions about someone's interests, politics, sexual orientation and much more without needing to listen to the microphone on your phone.

That is a bit like saying that professional athletes have incredible training routines, have carefully planned diets and access to sports scientists so why would they need to take PED's.

The reason for me is that in both cases we are talking about hugely competitive environments in which pretty much everyone at the top is doing the same things so there are massive temptations to gain an edge. The people at the very elite level tend to get the majority of the rewards.

If people think they can get an edge and not get caught then some people will do it.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
That is a bit like saying that professional athletes have incredible training routines, have carefully planned diets and access to sports scientists so why would they need to take PED's.

The reason for me is that in both cases we are talking about hugely competitive environments in which pretty much everyone at the top is doing the same things so there are massive temptations to gain an edge. The people at the very elite level tend to get the majority of the rewards.

If people think they can get an edge and not get caught then some people will do it.

Not sure I agree with you Al. The analogy is more like "car manufacturers put in all the bells and whistles they need to maximise sales, why wouldn't they put in more whistles and bells?"

We're not talking about elite performers gaining an edge. This is about using communication bandwidth, high-end voice recognition and incredibly complex AI to send targeted ads for dog biscuits and Duracell batteries. The point about targeted ads is that they are 'targeted'. Popping up an ad based on one or two random words out of the 10,000 - 20,000 words we each speak every day seems a bit... well, random.

Computing power isn't free - Google has hundreds of thousands of servers dealing with all it's queries and those queries get fed back into the ads we receive using complex but essentially straightforward algorithms. The targeting is very accurate because the searches and likes are active.

Picking up a spoken word and then trying to interpret the context and relevance of that word is far more complex. "I hate dogs";  I love dogs; my dogs (feet) hurt; I like hotdogs... what ad does Google send? A guard fence to keep dogs out? dog blankets? dog food? foot cream? frankfurters?.. What additional accuracy would Google (or whoever) get from this random word selection? What's the marginal improvement that they'd get from investing in all the additional computing power?

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Someone has done a controlled scientific study looking at 17,000 apps on Android devices. 8,000 didn’t request permission to access the microphone, camera or storage. That left 9,000 apps that were tested.  Unsurprisingly (for me) they found no secret transfer of audio files. Eight apps had separate issues regarding screen recording and those were reported to Android who are looking into it.

Merseyside Skeptics podcast here:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/skeptics-with-a-k/id327034166=2#episodeGuid=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.merseysideskeptics.org.uk%2F%3Fp%3D2810

http://www.merseysideskeptics.org.uk

So unless someone has anything better than anecdote, sensationalist click-bait stories and ‘my mate said’ I’ll go back to my original answer to the question which is no.

*edit - I’ll dig out the study and post in more detail later.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:06:46 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Someone has done a controlled scientific study looking at 17,000 apps on Android devices. 8,000 didn’t request permission to access the microphone, camera or storage. That left 9,000 apps that were tested.  Unsurprisingly (for me) they found no secret transfer of audio files. Eight apps had separate issues regarding screen recording and those were reported to Android who are looking into it.

Merseyside Skeptics podcast here:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/skeptics-with-a-k/id327034166=2#episodeGuid=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.merseysideskeptics.org.uk%2F%3Fp%3D2810

http://www.merseysideskeptics.org.uk

So unless someone has anything better than anecdote, sensationalist click-bait stories and ‘my mate said’ I’ll go back to my original answer to the question which is no.

*edit - I’ll dig out the study and post in more detail later.

Do you have the study?

Would be very interested to read the findings and scope of the study?

The question has been asked more and more over the past year or so and since Facebook/CA got caught with their hands in the cookie jar, the question has picked up traction. There are now, plenty of 'studies' into this, which could easily be too late and with an app that updates  nearly every day, testing on a later/recent build means nothing.

Whether there has been a period of time when this has happened, I don't know - but I'll go back to my original stance and say that if this was happening at some point, studies without bonafides are just as believable as clickbait stories here and there.

Every cat and dog is jumping on these 'studies' and it is upto you what you believe, clickbait or not, more and more people are talking about it and the Facebook/CA findings have done nothing but convince me that the companies in question are very good at what they do.

Anyhow,

Probably clickbait, but an interesting read nonetheless to any here who have experienced this.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/facebook-listening-us-here-what-14535469

A funny little article about Amazon Dot.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4025172/amazon-echo-orders-cat-food-tv-commercial/

And I've posted this before, but if you're interested in podcasts.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/reply-all/id941907967?mt=2&i=1000394325441
« Last Edit: August 4, 2018, 08:57:39 am by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Do you have the study?

Would be very interested to read the findings and scope of the study?

The question has been asked more and more over the past year or so and since Facebook/CA got caught with their hands in the cookie jar, the question has picked up traction. There are now, plenty of 'studies' into this, which could easily be too late and with an app that updates  nearly every day, testing on a later/recent build means nothing.

Whether there has been a period of time when this has happened, I don't know - but I'll go back to my original stance and say that if this was happening at some point, studies without bonafides are just as believable as clickbait stories here and there.

Every cat and dog is jumping on these 'studies' and it is upto you what you believe, clickbait or not, more and more people are talking about it and the Facebook/CA findings have done nothing but convince me that the companies in question are very good at what they do.

Anyhow,

Probably clickbait, but an interesting read nonetheless to any here who have experienced this.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/facebook-listening-us-here-what-14535469

A funny little article about Amazon Dot.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4025172/amazon-echo-orders-cat-food-tv-commercial/

And I've posted this before, but if you're interested in podcasts.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/reply-all/id941907967?mt=2&i=1000394325441

I haven't had time to follow up but I will. The one thing in your answer I'd argue with is this:

"Every cat and dog is jumping on these 'studies' and it is upto you what you believe..."

I don't agree with that at all. If you have a 'study' on the one hand that is uncontrolled and based on anecdotal evidence, and on the other a rigourously controlled and well set up study of 17,000 apps that shows nothing then it's not just a question of which you believe.

If you go down that route you risk getting into all kinds of 'woo'. Science isn't a matter of opinion.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
I haven't had time to follow up but I will. The one thing in your answer I'd argue with is this:

"Every cat and dog is jumping on these 'studies' and it is upto you what you believe..."

I don't agree with that at all. If you have a 'study' on the one hand that is uncontrolled and based on anecdotal evidence, and on the other a rigourously controlled and well set up study of 17,000 apps that shows nothing then it's not just a question of which you believe.

If you go down that route you risk getting into all kinds of 'woo'. Science isn't a matter of opinion.

I don't doubt it at all, some of the 'studies' I have seen dotted around, shown as proof, have given me cause for concern that a portion of this could be confirmation bias.

I'll be holding out for proof either way. I haven't noticed any adverts based on discussion I have had for a while now, I've dialled back my usage and have a new handset with a custom rom and have also got myself a big massive leather case for my phone.

This doesn't interest me nearly as much as it did when I was experiencing it. I'm still not convinced though and have come to accept that there will always be cause for debate amongst the opposing viewpoints.

If this was happening at a certain point, I could never scientifically prove it, especially since the CA stuff. But I won't go about in circles, everyone knows about the CA stuff and the questions have since been raised in the inquiry into CA - that for me proves that this all weren't 'in my head'. But again, everyone knows this already and it is trudging over old ground.

Regardless, I'll always be interested in reading anything back and forth, for or against.

On a side note, I remember having a discussion on here somewhere about the CA stuff with people saying it was the end of Facebook. Whilst it is no revelation, I knew they'd come out of it unscathed and largely untouched, aside of the 6% drop reported, and Zuckerberg grovelling to Congress nothing much else happened.

They did as expected - threw money at it with campaigns, adverts and new features.

If this was happening, chances are, it won't be happening any more (via Facebook and/or it's sister apps).
« Last Edit: August 4, 2018, 09:37:58 am by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Interestingly I've had none of these issues of uncanny targetting, whether they're listening or not, since I moved to iPhone.

Coincidentally, I read this article yesterday about Google sideloading contacts on to hundreds of millions of phones in India without user permission:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/3/17648738/india-phone-number-unknown-privacy-data-contacts-uidai

That's further convinced me that Google will do what the fuck they want, provided you've got one of their devices in your hands.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
Re: Is Google/WhatsApp/Facebook listening to our conversations for targeted ads?
« Reply #586 on: September 1, 2018, 10:51:23 pm »
I've had this happen twice in the last week. We have been living away from home for a few months and I mentioned to the Mrs that I'd like to go to the Doņana national park when we get back to Spain, literally the first time in years I've even thought about it never mind said it out loud. The next time I pick up my (android) phone there's a booking.com ad on my Instagram feed with hotels in the Doņana. There is no way that is a coincidence. The last few weeks I've been looking at hotels in Sri Lanka and all the ads have been for that, then 10 minutes after I mention Doņana there's an ad for hotels there. There's no other rational explanation. I immediately blocked all apps from using the microphone on my phone.

Then just now the Mrs just said "can't wait to have my mattress back", 5 seconds later she looks at her iPhone, first Facebook ad is for mail order mattresses. I will say that's more likely to be coincidental as I know these companies put out lots of ads but regardless I have denied microphone access for all apps on her phone too.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
Re: Is Google/WhatsApp/Facebook listening to our conversations for targeted ads?
« Reply #587 on: September 3, 2018, 02:33:57 pm »
Not just voices. Also noises.
My uncle was recently with us for a couple of days and he snores like a gravel in a food processor.
Next day morning, there was an ad on google suggesting snore clinics in my neighbourhood.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #588 on: September 3, 2018, 03:18:13 pm »

It could be interesting to see what if any suggestions appear if he had spent the night farting.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #589 on: September 3, 2018, 04:17:43 pm »
It could be interesting to see what if any suggestions appear if he had spent the night farting.

Definitely ads for an Oxygen mask I would assume.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #590 on: September 3, 2018, 04:18:49 pm »
Imagine what Effes social media advertising must be like.....  :jong
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: September 9, 2018, 08:39:12 pm »
I've never encountered anything at all. Until this morning .... my daughter showed me videos of her trek up Snowdon last week as she wants to go again with me. We discussed what I'd need to wear on my feet, as we studied the pathways on her phone and I'm thinking trainers could be dodgy. I opened Sports Direct website and before I could do anything an advert flashed regarding a sale for mountain boots. We were both fucking startled. It's fucking mad  ;D

I've just opened it again and it didn't happen.

Of course it happened because they've got a sale on ...... but what are the chances of boots flashing up and not trainers or running gear - I run everyday :)

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #592 on: September 13, 2018, 10:15:02 am »
Yesterday , I asked Alex to play Nina Simone's 'Ain't got no'.  Today it was played on Radio 2.
Spooky.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #593 on: September 28, 2018, 12:03:04 pm »
https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/28/facebook-two-factor-phone-numbers-ads/

Facebook admits using two-factor phone numbers to target ads

Facebook has admitted that it uses the phone number provided by users for two-factor authentication (2FA) to target them with ads. Naturally, its repurposing of information passed on for security purposes to make more ad dollars is causing quite the stir, with users lambasting its tactics on social media. Facebook's acknowledgement comes in the wake of a Gizmodo report that exposed the practice.

"We use the information people provide to offer a better, more personalized experience on Facebook, including ads," a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement to TechCrunch. "We are clear about how we use the information we collect, including the contact information that people upload or add to their own accounts. You can manage and delete the contact information you've uploaded at any time."

Last year, Facebook began giving users more 2FA alternatives beyond a code sent to your phone, including USB key support, followed by the ability to use third-party authenticator apps in May. Users may have opted for those methods over supplying their phone number if they knew what Facebook was up to. The company also came under fire in February for spamming 2FA phone numbers with codes. It blamed that on a bug.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
I see ASUS routers are collecting pretty much everything about you now :/ (I think for a while actually) but certainly since a firmware update.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Another one this morning - probably more coincidence due to the time of year, but anyway. Yesterday, I was talking about a cheese board for Christmas Day I bought from Asda - only when I got it home did I see the sell by date was 13th Dec. When I opened it, it was once cheese with that date, the rest were next Jan. Anyway, Harri pipes up that you can freeze cheese - I didn't know this and he said yes you can. He didn't google this, he just knew.

Gets an email from Harri this morning, he's logged in to his work laptop and the main article on his MSN feed was "Can you really freeze cheese?"

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #596 on: December 12, 2018, 01:22:29 am »
Another one this morning - probably more coincidence due to the time of year, but anyway. Yesterday, I was talking about a cheese board for Christmas Day I bought from Asda - only when I got it home did I see the sell by date was 13th Dec. When I opened it, it was once cheese with that date, the rest were next Jan. Anyway, Harri pipes up that you can freeze cheese - I didn't know this and he said yes you can. He didn't google this, he just knew.

Gets an email from Harri this morning, he's logged in to his work laptop and the main article on his MSN feed was "Can you really freeze cheese?"

You'd think that after the Cambridge Analytica shite that it'd be calmed down now - I've noticed a whole lot of change over the past year, but then, I haven't been on my phone as much since.

Check out "Do You Trust This Computer?".

I've never not been convinced that this is happening and many of the counters in this thread are more than answered in that documentary.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #597 on: December 12, 2018, 08:15:58 am »
This is a bit of a strange one that's left me a bit stumped and I'm wondering if it has happened to anyone else.

On Sunday morning at 2am, my Google Nexus woke me up by suddenly started playing a youtube video, a strange US Military history one, despite the lid on the case being closed and it effectively being off.

This is somewhat bizarre and I haven't a decent explanation for it yet.

I only use the Nexus either as a camera for stuff to put on ebay or purely as a browser and only ever with Firefox, or to run a Kindle app and tend to use it either on train journeys or last thing at night in bed before going to sleep and I'm quite fastidious at closing down the browser when I finish before then closing the lid, and all history etc is set to be deleted. I also reboot once a week to clear down any other accumulated crud inside it and I have few apps installed, just a Kindle, a starmap and EX file explorer and my app settings are also pretty locked down.

I rarely if ever even watch anything on youtube on it, older flash stuff wont play, and certainly hadn't that evening or even recently.

It was almost as if something took control and pushed it down at me.

As some of you know, I've been in Computing for well over 40 years and I'm well versed in how to do 'interesting' stuff, but I'm not too happy with this or the possible implications.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #598 on: December 12, 2018, 07:48:44 pm »
Well I'd be asking:

1. Have you had any searches about the US Military?
2. Any conversations about the US military?
3. Do you have any links to the US military?
4. Do you have any links to the US?
5. Do you have any links to ISIS? (haha!).

You know, there have been one or two times that my Youtube has played random videos and I've put it down to just me being crap.

But there are no rogue apps installed on this phone whatsoever? Nothing that could say... Oh I don't know... Ping a two-way request to your Youtube app to watch a specific video let's say?

I mean, there are apps out there for that - it's mostly for Vloggers. They install this app and in turn for watching random videos, they get their videos watched by others. There are apps that automatically do this with little or no need for interaction from the user.

In that case though, you'd probably know...

Have you got a 'dodgy' version of Youtube installed or an adblocker for Youtube?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #599 on: December 12, 2018, 07:54:10 pm »
Voice control? Did you talk in your sleep and set it off?