Author Topic: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC  (Read 94868 times)

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2016, 01:56:26 pm »
Honestly, I don't know. But I'd probably have played Lucas/Can with Ilori. Then I'd have tried to recall Wisdom and since we used Enrique vs Exeter, I would have considered him an option too.
Enrique should only be used at CB for a laugh.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2016, 01:57:26 pm »
Its the approach we should go for, United had no problem throwing in Blackett, Mcnair in when they were chasing top 4 and one of them had only played in reserves while the other had played about 13 games on loan, they might not make it at United but they certainly done a job in that period, and it will be the reason why when they come to sell them they'll be getting millions in fees. Buying emergency stop gap signings at least in our past hasn't helped anyone, if anything it might have hampered some young players, because said manager would always put 'insert average player' in before some of them, because said player has more experience, we've lost handful of games with some of these same senior players we're supposed to be relying on, so why not wait it out, Sakho and Toure are back, Lovren is soon and Ilori regaining match fitness.

Who did we buy?

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2016, 01:57:42 pm »
Says a lot really, Southampton were glad to see the back of him. Don't understand this at all.

Really? It's not rocket science.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2016, 01:58:01 pm »
Not sure why people are questioning his inability to get into the Southampton line-up, when Fonte is their captain and Van Dijk is one of the best summer signings this season. After all, we've brought Ilori back on loan when he couldn't get into the back four of one the worst PL sides ever.

We have injuries. Sakho is injured and injury-prone. Skrtel is out for a while. Ilori is injury-prone. Lovren is injured. Kolo is injury-prone. Klopp won't play Can in defence. We have had to play Lucas as a CB this season. We had to bring Enrique out of the football wilderness to play CB, despite being persona non grata and not playing for a year.

This is Caulker's last shot at playing for a big club. It might be his only chance to ensure he won't be playing in the Championship next season. It fills a need for all parties. He'll have a better chance of getting games here, due to our injuries. If he's good, it benefits all parties. If he's poor, he's only here until May. A logical signing.

Whilst I sort of agree re injuries,  give it 2 weeks and Sakho,  Kolo and Lovren will be fit.  and give it a month and we'll have 4 CB's fit.  I can't get see him getting any game time past that.  He was terrible against us recently as well :(.  At least it's a loan and he can go back when no longer required.
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2016, 01:59:15 pm »
And Aspas was very good before he came here. People were happy to bring him in because he looked a good player. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.
He would've been our best striker last season.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2016, 01:59:52 pm »
Its the approach we should go for, United had no problem throwing in Blackett, Mcnair in when they were chasing top 4 and one of them had only played in reserves while the other had played about 13 games on loan, they might not make it at United but they certainly done a job in that period, and it will be the reason why when they come to sell them they'll be getting millions in fees. Buying emergency stop gap signings at least in our past hasn't helped anyone, if anything it might have hampered some young players, because said manager would always put 'insert average player' in before some of them, because said player has more experience, we've lost handful of games with some of these same senior players we're supposed to be relying on, so why not wait it out, Sakho and Toure are back, Lovren is soon and Ilori regaining match fitness.

Because this month is very important to how our season is going to go. We can't afford to just wait it out. We've already got a bunch of youngsters back but with Williams and Cleary out injured, there's no one really else who could come in and do a job at centre back.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2016, 02:00:08 pm »
Whilst I sort of agree re injuries,  give it 2 weeks and Sakho,  Kolo and Lovren will be fit.  and give it a month and we'll have 4 CB's fit.  I can't get see him getting any game time past that.  He was terrible against us recently as well :(.  At least it's a loan and he can go back when no longer required.

You hope that happens. You have no idea if that is the case, right now we don't even have one of them fit. Possibly Sakho but who knows. In that month we play 8 games. I guess we're going to play Sakho for every single one of them?

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2016, 02:00:11 pm »
Its.A.Short.Term.Loan.

You know like 6 months, until the manager can find someone better on a permanent basis.

What's so hard to understand. We're not giving him a 4 year 60m contract. It's 6 bloody months because we haven't got a 100% fit CB between us.

I'd rather we just found that some better, now.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2016, 02:00:37 pm »

If he doesn't get any game time beyond that, then what's the problem?

"...he can go back when no longer required" - ah, wonderful support. Glad to hear you're right behind the lad.

So what if we've identified Matip and Schalke won't sell him? Maybe we can't get any of our top three targets? What do we do then - wildly overpay, get no-one or buy someone else worse which damages us long term?

Ridiculous.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:04:15 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2016, 02:00:53 pm »
I don't think anyone is actually jumping for joy in this scenario or trying to say that Caulker is the second coming of Christ.

We need depth in this position desperately and are reaching a crucial part of the season in three trophies and in the league where games are coming thick and fast (though he is cup-tied in the League Cup - think he is ok for the Europa as he only played qualifiers for Southampton)
He's easily available to get in for the run of games we have coming up- evidenced by the fact he joined today and can play vs Arsenal- done swiftly.
He's played in the Premier League so has some experience- well at Swansea, bad at QPR etc.
He's taller than Ilori, Enrique, Lucas and Can - so should help in and around the box for defensive set pieces.

On a personal level for him - he gets the chance to have minutes in the FA Cup and the Premier League - and show people he is deserving of a move from QPR back into the league next season - so the motivation should be there to put 100% in.

He ticks the limited boxes we need ticking at this very moment in time. Presumably at the end of the season he will go back to QPR and we will look for a more long term solution. I really don't know why anyone's reaction isn't 'Oh sweet, he might help us out a bit on a temporary basis in this shitstorm we find ourselves in'.

Weird, really. Oh well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:04:57 pm by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2016, 02:00:54 pm »

Such as?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2016, 02:01:19 pm »
You've also got to remember that if one of Lucas and Can gets used as a centre-back option, that's one less option for centre-midfield, an area we aren't exactly stacked in either. If Wisdom could be recalled, I guarantee he would be back here. Probably similar to Ilori and Villa, they would have to agree to it, and Norwich probably didn't agree.

Who played CM vs Exeter? Stewart, Brannagan and Texeira, was it?
We've got Allen, we could play Coutinho in CM and we also have Alberto on loan.

We try and find ways to justify the signing of Caulker, when it's more important to look at how we deal with difficulties. This system is based on a lack of trust in our players. Which has, at least in the past, also been linked to a lack of willingness to offload those players.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2016, 02:01:32 pm »
Personally think this signing might surprise a few people.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2016, 02:02:07 pm »
Would not be surprised if he takes full advantage of this fantastic opportunity.

Sometimes its all about timing & long term I feel both CB positions are available to be won under Klopp.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2016, 02:02:07 pm »

Correct. I'm already surprised. ;)

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2016, 02:02:17 pm »

It surprised me already.

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2016, 02:02:24 pm »

It's pretty clear that the CB we want won't move this window. This is a decent alternative.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2016, 02:03:29 pm »
I think it might as well. He's genuinely quite a talented player; he's just fallen away badly in the last couple of years. I wouldn't rule out him performing quite impressively for us. As a loan signing, it really isn't a bad move at all.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2016, 02:03:39 pm »
I'm sure if we had Caulker against Exeter we'd be in the next round by now.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2016, 02:03:44 pm »
We try and find ways to justify the signing of Caulker, when it's more important to look at how we deal with difficulties. This system is based on a lack of trust in our players.

While Manchester United may have used one of their academy players, they also resorted to using Carrick more often than not over players in their reserves as well.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #180 on: January 12, 2016, 02:03:44 pm »
Hummels, Varane, Marquinhos etc. Some of these "supporters" on here are utter muppets.

I was hoping for Beckenbauer cos when we sign Cruyff in the summer the two would link up well with Roberto Carlos.

Ultimately though, some circles of Swansea say that Caulker was 'the best player they've ever seen' although come to think of it I may have just made that bit up.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2016, 02:03:59 pm »
Anyone who has seen a good amount of his games care to expand on his good and bad points ?

I would if i had seen him play more than a couple of times. From what i remember a few seasons ago he was highly rated and had been linked with us back then too.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2016, 02:04:32 pm »
Such as?
You know, Sergio Ramos, someone like that.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 12, 2016, 02:04:56 pm »
Who played CM vs Exeter? Stewart, Brannagan and Texeira, was it?
We've got Allen, we could play Coutinho in CM and we also have Alberto on loan.

We try and find ways to justify the signing of Caulker, when it's more important to look at how we deal with difficulties. This system is based on a lack of trust in our players. Which has, at least in the past, also been linked to a lack of willingness to offload those players.

It's a hell of a lot of risks there though. Klopp is simply covering all bases and doing his best to not leave himself short.

We may be getting players back, but there's also a chance we could lose more to injury. I mean we do have a shit ton more games this month. We've got to be prepared best we can.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: January 12, 2016, 02:05:06 pm »
Average signing, but then again i was here when a lot of you were truing to justify the Moses, Cissokho and Aspas signings as well.
And they left us with priceless memories  ;D

https://vimeo.com/92846254

Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2016, 02:05:14 pm »
He is here to add cover so thats ok but screams to me as a committee signing, like most of them.
For the 10,473rd time, Klopp has the final say on all transfers!!! :butt
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2016, 02:06:07 pm »
Anyone who has seen a good amount of his games care to expand on his good and bad points ?

I would if i had seen him play more than a couple of times. From what i remember a few seasons ago he was highly rated and had been linked with us back then too.

From what I've seen, I'd say his strength and aerial ability are his strong points.

Weakness wise, I think he does struggle against pace.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2016, 02:06:09 pm »
You hope that happens. You have no idea if that is the case, right now we don't even have one of them fit. Possibly Sakho but who knows. In that month we play 8 games. I guess we're going to play Sakho for every single one of them?

Kloppo came out and said Mama was almost fit and Lovren was close.  Kolo is fit.  Skrtel is back the beginning of Feb all being well.  So we'll have 5 CB's for 2 posiitons given that it's not a position where rotation is desireable. Is Caulker better than any of them?  Kolo...........maybe.
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: January 12, 2016, 02:06:42 pm »

He is good in the air but his positioning and decision making is pretty atrocious. He has the tools but would need some serious time and work, which is difficult to get in a side hoping to achieve anything.

He is on a loan though so will be seen as an emergency choice. It doesnt bode well for Illori's long term future here.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2016, 02:06:42 pm »

He is good in the air but lacks pace.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2016, 02:07:23 pm »
Its a no-risk signing. Provides cover and if he does well we'll sign him.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #191 on: January 12, 2016, 02:07:41 pm »
From what I've seen, I'd say his strength and aerial ability are his strong points.

Weakness wise, I think he does struggle against pace.

Yeah I'd agree with this. In other words, Bolasie will still have a red circle around Liverpool on his fixtures calender.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2016, 02:07:41 pm »
Will make fewer than 5 appearances for us unless he does really well indeed.  Even then I doubt he'd break that mark.

Can't understand why people are making such a big deal about this.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: January 12, 2016, 02:09:24 pm »
I was hoping for Beckenbauer cos when we sign Cruyff in the summer the two would link up well with Roberto Carlos.

Ultimately though, some circles of Swansea say that Caulker was 'the best player they've ever seen' although come to think of it I may have just made that bit up.

Franz is getting old how about this up and coming lad called Franco Baresi?

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: January 12, 2016, 02:09:30 pm »
Kloppo came out and said Mama was almost fit and Lovren was close.  Kolo is fit.  Skrtel is back the beginning of Feb all being well.  So we'll have 5 CB's for 2 posiitons given that it's not a position where rotation is desireable. Is Caulker better than any of them?  Kolo...........maybe.

Then it doesn't really matter then does it? If all our first choice defenders come back and stay fit then happy days. If not or they need rotating we have a decent CB able to cover and give them a rest. Whats the problem?

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2016, 02:09:34 pm »
Slightly interesting that he has not been allocated a squad number yet. Perhaps another defender on the way today ??

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2016, 02:10:17 pm »
I just don't like our players being written off before they have kicked a ball for us. What does it achieve? Is it just "I told you so" insurance for later bragging rights?

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2016, 02:10:24 pm »
Slightly interesting that he has not been allocated a squad number yet. Perhaps another defender on the way today ??

Nah. I imagine the speed of the transfer simply means we haven't had time to fully register it yet.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2016, 02:10:39 pm »
While Manchester United may have used one of their academy players, they also resorted to using Carrick more often than not over players in their reserves as well.

Yes. So why couldn't we do the same with Can or Lucas, or even Enrique?

What I liked about their approach last season, was they tried the options they had. They got some answers from that, while they also showed some faith in their options. The results may not have been what they wanted, but they sent the right signals. We on the other hand are anxious how we'd cope without a new signing.

Offline Cork Red

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #199 on: January 12, 2016, 02:10:42 pm »

I really wish you'd left the bolded bit out, just to witness the absolute shit-storm that would have ensured!  ;D