Author Topic: RoseAnn Fino thread  (Read 12678 times)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It seems she's coming to the UK [I assume London] in the Spring.

While she's here she intends to do a visit to Liverpool and has asked her dad to ask me if there's any suitable venues - bars, cofffee bars etc - for her and her small band to do a gig.

I haven't got a clue. Don't suppose someone could kindly give us a heads up on any possible venues?

:)

Might be worth her getting in touch with these, usually helpful:

https://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolBandspage/?fref=ts

they often have slots available from various venues posted on there.

As far as small venues go, there's the Zanzibar, a staple of new unsigned bands...Sound Food & Drink is a nice venue with good food...Maguire's Pizza bar, who will often supply free pizza if you ask nicely so that's a bonus...not sure if the View Too gallery is still going but that would probably suit the music I think...The Lomax is closed, thanks to police entrapment...24 Kitchen Street is on the derelict/arty farty side out in the Baltic Triangle...Studio 2 at Parr St, if it still does gigs, might be another suitable venue for this kind of music...the Caledonia on Catherine Street has a bit of a country vibe at times, she could try and get on a bill with someone like the excellent Loose Moose String Band...also downstairs at the Shipping Forecast is an excellent sound system and friendly to new up and coming bands...

I have played at most of these and found them all OK (apart from when they press what me and my musical chums call 'the U2 button' at the Zanzibar, a magical thing on the sound desk that seems to make everyone sound like Bono and co on a bad day, no matter what the actual music they are playing!)
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Might be worth her getting in touch with these, usually helpful:

https://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolBandspage/?fref=ts

they often have slots available from various venues posted on there.

As far as small venues go, there's the Zanzibar, a staple of new unsigned bands...Sound Food & Drink is a nice venue with good food...Maguire's Pizza bar, who will often supply free pizza if you ask nicely so that's a bonus...not sure if the View Too gallery is still going but that would probably suit the music I think...The Lomax is closed, thanks to police entrapment...24 Kitchen Street is on the derelict/arty farty side out in the Baltic Triangle...Studio 2 at Parr St, if it still does gigs, might be another suitable venue for this kind of music...the Caledonia on Catherine Street has a bit of a country vibe at times, she could try and get on a bill with someone like the excellent Loose Moose String Band...also downstairs at the Shipping Forecast is an excellent sound system and friendly to new up and coming bands...

I have played at most of these and found them all OK (apart from when they press what me and my musical chums call 'the U2 button' at the Zanzibar, a magical thing on the sound desk that seems to make everyone sound like Bono and co on a bad day, no matter what the actual music they are playing!)

That's superb Sam lad. Really appreciate your time and trouble.

I'll get the phone numbers of the ones you've listed and send them to her dad.

From what you've heard of her stuff is there one that you feel would be most suitable?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That's superb Sam lad. Really appreciate your time and trouble.

I'll get the phone numbers of the ones you've listed and send them to her dad.

From what you've heard of her stuff is there one that you feel would be most suitable?

My pleasure. It's nice to feel useful ;D

It depends slightly on if she is bringing the band and in what format they play.

View Too is good for small ensembles and acoustic stuff, perhaps getting on the bill on a Friday night would be suitable:
http://www.viewtwogallery.co.uk/?page_id=2151

The Caledonia (lovely pub on Catherine Street) definitely seems to be the most musical compatible - they have anyone from solo artists to larger ensembles - the crowd will be receptive there I would think as they're used to folk/country/jazz and roots music, check out their listings:
http://www.thecaledonialiverpool.com/whats-on/

Sound Food & Drink might also have a receptive crowd, looks like they have bluegrass nights among other things so again they will have people who have heard and like country-tinged tunes
https://www.facebook.com/SoundFoodandDrink/

The rest, in my opinion, tend to have a wild variety of music, while they will be perfectly fine places to play, the musical bills are not always well thought out. I remember playing the likes of the Zanzibar, being the garage rock and roll act between Sting covers acts, thrash metal, hip-hop and electro-rave stuff, which sometimes gets a bit wearing if the crowd are basically all there for their mates band and couldn't care less about the rest of the bill - however if she can bring a bunch of relatives, relations and friends out, then this isn't much of a problem bar having to sit through the other bands...I used to duck out for a jazz cigarette in those days, then just come back in and tell everyone they did a great show afterwards ;D

With places like the Zanzi and the Shipping Forecast, it's all about getting onto a bill with compatible bands if possible. This then starts to lead you away from booking with the venues themselves, and into looking at promoters who are putting on the nights, in order to get them to ensure the musical vibes are balanced and aligned throughout the bill for the evening.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
My pleasure. It's nice to feel useful ;D

It depends slightly on if she is bringing the band and in what format they play.

View Too is good for small ensembles and acoustic stuff, perhaps getting on the bill on a Friday night would be suitable:
http://www.viewtwogallery.co.uk/?page_id=2151

The Caledonia (lovely pub on Catherine Street) definitely seems to be the most musical compatible - they have anyone from solo artists to larger ensembles - the crowd will be receptive there I would think as they're used to folk/country/jazz and roots music, check out their listings:

Sound Food & Drink might also have a receptive crowd, looks like they have bluegrass nights among other things so again they will have people who have heard and like country-tinged tunes
https://www.facebook.com/SoundFoodandDrink/

The rest, in my opinion, tend to have a wild variety of music, while they will be perfectly fine places to play, the musical bills are not always well thought out. I remember playing the likes of the Zanzibar, being the garage rock and roll act between Sting covers acts, thrash metal, hip-hop and electro-rave stuff, which sometimes gets a bit wearing if the crowd are basically all there for their mates band and couldn't care less about the rest of the bill - however if she can bring a bunch of relatives, relations and friends out, then this isn't much of a problem bar having to sit through the other bands...I used to duck out for a jazz cigarette in those days, then just come back in and tell everyone they did a great show afterwards ;D

With places like the Zanzi and the Shipping Forecast, it's all about getting onto a bill with compatible bands if possible. This then starts to lead you away from booking with the venues themselves, and into looking at promoters who are putting on the nights, in order to get them to ensure the musical vibes are balanced and aligned throughout the bill for the evening.

Sam - you're a star mate.

Thanks so much for all this.

Her arl fella will be chuffed to mintballs with all this!!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
It seems she's coming to the UK [I assume London] in the Spring.

While she's here she intends to do a visit to Liverpool and has asked her dad to ask me if there's any suitable venues ...

Alright Timbo, in addition to Sams excellent post you could also ask (tms) Neil in the Anfield Wrap thread - he does a local live music review / what's on
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 02:56:11 am by kavah »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Alright Timbo, in addition to Sams excellent post you could also ask (tms) Neil in the Anfield Wrap thread - he does a local live music review / what's on

Cheers K

I'll give that a go. I'm waiting for a couple of copies in the post. Thanks mate.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Some news on Roseann for you kind souls that had a listen to her stuff

Further to Sam's great help she's over in UK next week and is appearing in Liverpool at THE CALEDONIA on Sunday 15th May at 8-30 [see you all there - especially you Paul lad  :) and Tim if you're reading this!!]

and

on Monday 16th May at the Green Note Basement in London

Also she's just about to release a new album. The title track is released as a new single. It's called TOUCH ME and i know I'm biased but it is an absolutely fucking stupendous swinging rocker to die for!!!

;D

Here's the MP3 link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8OAwLoY_HB6eE1QOUhhek9iRFk/view

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Here's the official link for the new single

http://roseannfino.bandcamp.com/track/touch-me

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Gets better and better for me with each play - now waiting for feedback from the RAWK music experts

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Timbo - desperately trying to drum up interest in this stupendous record amongst RAWK's true music devotees

;D

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Timbo - desperately trying to drum up interest in this stupendous record amongst RAWK's true music devotees
Here's the official link for the new single

http://roseannfino.bandcamp.com/track/touch-me

To my ears, there is a touch of Sympathy for the Devil about that tune and the delivery.

The backing is excellent (wifey liked it too), they certainly sound very competent and I do like the use of the cello in there (though it sounds like an octave violin being played to me), perhaps someone really has been listening to the Stones (I was thinking Country Honk off Let it Bleed,  my own favourite version of Honky Tonk).

Vocals are reminiscent of a growling Debbie Harry mixed with Patti Smith but I guess the similarity is going to be inevitable given the New York-Punk connection.

Would I buy it (not that anyone ever does such a thing these days), in all honesty Timbo, probably not, but would I listen to it again, yes, I've given it three listens so far.

Would I seek out a gig by them on the basis of that tune, probably not, but would I walk out if they came on stage somewhere I was at or switch to a different channel if they came on a TV show I was watching, absolutely not, and finally would I jam with them if they ever for some inexplicable reason asked me to, yes, too right, it's good fun gigging muso stuff.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool

To my ears, there is a touch of Sympathy for the Devil about that tune and the delivery.

The backing is excellent (wifey liked it too), they certainly sound very competent and I do like the use of the cello in there (though it sounds like an octave violin being played to me), perhaps someone really has been listening to the Stones (I was thinking Country Honk off Let it Bleed,  my own favourite version of Honky Tonk).

Vocals are reminiscent of a growling Debbie Harry mixed with Patti Smith but I guess the similarity is going to be inevitable given the New York-Punk connection.

Would I buy it (not that anyone ever does such a thing these days), in all honesty Timbo, probably not, but would I listen to it again, yes, I've given it three listens so far.

Would I seek out a gig by them on the basis of that tune, probably not, but would I walk out if they came on stage somewhere I was at or switch to a different channel if they came on a TV show I was watching, absolutely not, and finally would I jam with them if they ever for some inexplicable reason asked me to, yes, too right, it's good fun gigging muso stuff.

Thanks so much for your expert info Gully lad. Really appreciated. A lot to reflect on there. And I'll definitley be doing that.

In meantime i don't suppose you'd do us another favour.  :)

I put up the original post [see beginning of this one] a few months ago in respect of her previous release - an EP with four tracks called Out From Under.

I think you may have missed this back then. here's the link

https://roseannfino.bandcamp.com/album/out-from-under-ep

You can hear all four tracks for free.

Don't suppose you'd give them the once over too mate!!

Love to hear your overall take on the range of stuff she does. One thing I can say is that she's imbued with a lot of influences. I doubt if she's simply been listening to The Stones and come up with this track. I've got to say though Gully - I said exactly the same as you re Sympathy to her dad the first time I heard it [which was a live take from a few months ago] - so great minds and fools eh Gully?

;D

Thanks again tho mate - really do appreciate it.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Definitely hear Sympathy for the Devil running through the track, a potpurri of influences coming through, New York new wave vocals, country even cajan feel in places, probably what I took to be violin, crashing glam rock guitar chords from the 70's. A country influenced Scissor Sisters vibe ;D  If being critical, a bit too knowing of the past if that doesn't seem a stupid thing to say, in that it's just missing something indefinable that gives it it's own direction but very accomplished. Love the vocals.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Listened to Touch Me a couple of times and like a few others have said, there's a really similarity to Sympathy for the Devil throughout.  Really like the production and general feel of the whole song but the one criticism I'd have is that the chorus just isn't that strong - there's no real vocal hook in there.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Definitely hear Sympathy for the Devil running through the track, a potpurri of influences coming through, New York new wave vocals, country even cajan feel in places, probably what I took to be violin, crashing glam rock guitar chords from the 70's. A country influenced Scissor Sisters vibe ;D  If being critical, a bit too knowing of the past if that doesn't seem a stupid thing to say, in that it's just missing something indefinable that gives it it's own direction but very accomplished. Love the vocals.

Cheers Albie. To be fair that's a brilliant take on it and is pretty much how I'm seeing it. The other 3 tracks on the EP that this is taken from I've only heard a live recording but they're each at least at the same sort of level but each quite different from the other and from this.

As you've said before Roseann is imbued with a hell of a lot of influences and seems to pull them out of the drawer for each song she does. Whether that's ultimately a strength or weakness only time will tell I guess. The Sympathy for the Devil Feel on this one - Touch me - is probably the most glaring to date.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Listened to Touch Me a couple of times and like a few others have said, there's a really similarity to Sympathy for the Devil throughout.  Really like the production and general feel of the whole song but the one criticism I'd have is that the chorus just isn't that strong - there's no real vocal hook in there.

Cheers for that mate. See above post. Hear your point re the hook. I'll reflect on that.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Just in case due to some remarkable twist of fate anyone reading this is around this Sunday evening a reminder that RoseAnn is playing at The Caledonia on Catherine Street at 8.00pm

;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
ROSEANN FINO - the past, present and future of rock 'n' roll
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2016, 10:47:05 pm »
FAO Paul, Albie, Tubby, Seeb, Sam, Gully, Dave etc plus anyone else who's interested in the burgeoning progression of an immensely talented new artist.

ROSEANN FINO

REVIEW OF GIG AT CALEDONIA, LIVERPOOL – May 15th 2016

Big things occasionally arrive in small packages. And so it came to pass on Sunday evening at the very ordinary yet very wonderful cask fortified Caledonia ale house on Catherine Street in Georgian Liverpool that a pocket dynamo from New York State unleashed a whirlwind virtuoso musical performance on an unsuspecting Caledonia clientele.

Featuring principally a selection of her own golden nuggets and transfusing them with some killer covers RoseAnn Fino, alone with guitar, was quite simply sensational.

Of course, I already knew what to expect having been steeping myself in her music ever since her proud dad e-mailed me some six months or so ago asking me to give a listen to his daughter’s ‘Out from Under’ mini album. Fact is, ever since I’ve felt very little inclination to listen to anything other than Roseann’s steadily burgeoning repertoire of fabulous songs.

However, nobody else in The Caledonia last night – save perhaps for my own Roseann-beleaguered family members and friends – had any real idea what was about to smack them right between the eyes.

Namely unique, raw talent of the very highest musical level; a talent that bore witness to a pub’s hubbub gradually petering out in awe as each song unfurled its majesty.

From the opening rush of her latest single ‘Touch Me’ in which, by informing us what it’s like to ‘live under a bridge and have a garbage truck disturb your beauty sleep each morning’, she begins her saucy tale of how to wield a stick of female bravado to prod male machismo, we set out together on an hour long magic carpet ride of musical heaven.

As the lecherous excitement of ‘Touch Me’ still resonates it is quickly calmed by the beautiful mood contrasting aching laments of ‘The Night Rolls In’ delivered with the sort of heartfelt yearning the song demands. Then, still enraptured by ‘Night Rolls In’s stark beauty, we are treated to a rendition of Springsteen’s ‘Atlantic City’ that would have Bruce asking himself  ‘why don’t I still do it like that?’. Well tough shit, Brucie lad – you may have penned the thing and The Band may have embellished it with those heavenly strains of mandolin but a little miss dynamo now owns the fecking thing!

Okay, so we’re 20 minutes or so into this and if I knew what to expect why then at this juncture did my eyes become increasingly moistened as the strains of the ensuing song couplet filled the air?

Explaining the emotional impact of the first of the couplet – ‘Boxed Wine’ – was straightforward enough. RoseAnne introduced it by outlining its particular Fino paternal connotations and, whilst thanking me for procuring her the night’s gig at The Caledonia, kindly linked me – a like-minded doting father - in with her own dad. So far so good. Emotions most certainly stirred. But not yet shaken.

That steadfastness wasn’t to last - as the second stage of the couplet was not so quite easily dealt with.

I’ve been privileged enough to have RoseAnn’s dad send me the MP3’s of the recorded tracks for RoseAnn’s forthcoming four track EP entitled ‘The Airing of Grievances’. The single from it - ‘Touch Me’ - is already out there as many will know and I think any discerning music fans can detect the ongoing musical progression that particular song reveals. It is, however, the remaining three tracks ‘Airing of Grievances’ itself, ‘The Drinking Song’ and ‘Californian Debutante’ - and particularly the latter two – which provide an inkling into just how accomplished a creative artist Robert Fino’s daughter has now become.

Yet even that insight and a daily exposure to the majesty of these recordings wasn’t enough to prepare me for what came next at The Caledonia, for as the strains of ‘The Drinking Song’ soared across the room, this particular delivery of the song announced itself as an entirely different proposition.

Without the dramatic piano, drum and cello accompaniment that define the recorded version you’d think the singer’s hard guitar strum however stridently and earnestly delivered would struggle to suffice. The opposite was the case. The song’s inherent drama if anything heightened. The haunting despair of RoseAnn’s vocals accentuated. They now spoke within a hitherto lively pub as if in some eerie empty church, its captive congregation hanging on each sentiment conveying the singer’s resigned nightly bar-room ritual, were suddenly jolted by the song’s outburst of defiance and desperate resolve – ‘But I’ll wake up and you’ll see a different side of me and I won’t need these drinks to make myself feel free. I won’t hate the person staring back at me. I’ll make you so proud. It’ll be easy. I’ll make you all so proud. It’ll be easy.’

Let’s not demean the rest of the show by over-egging – were that at all possible - the majesty of this particular night’s ‘Drinking Song’. Especially when more Fino gems were to follow, delivered with that same professional aplomb and electric vibrancy. Amongst them were those two other magnificent new recordings ‘Airing of Grievances’ and ‘Californian Debutante’. They were interspersed with a lovingly delivered take of The Band’s ‘Ophelia’ before a vociferously implored encore of The Face’s ‘Ooh La La’, heartily roared by all, rounded the night off.

Lots of hugging and stuff followed before we all bade our farewells to RoseAnn and Tony, her most charming boyfriend. A superb convivial night was over. It will, of course, be remembered for our meeting RoseAnn and Tony and for the pocket dynamo’s all round stunning performance, for five minutes or so of which she had somehow managed the impossible trick of transforming a pub into a place of awestruck reverence.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:55:10 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Re: ROSEANN FINO - the past, present and future of rock 'n' roll
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2016, 11:20:37 pm »
Pity I didn't do this earlier as she was appearing earlier tonight at The Green Note in Camden, london.

Don't suppose anyone was there by any slim chance for some feedback?

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2016, 09:33:42 am »
Looks like Roseann herself liked it

;D

There are no words to explain how happy I am after my show in Liverpool at The Caledonia. The crowd was so amazing and warm. Tonight alone made this whole trip worth it, I felt electric. The small fan base I had here brought so many people and gave me such a welcome. Feeling all the feels. Thanks for reminding why I do what I do.

Great stuff luv.

You were fantastic!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2016, 07:50:49 pm »
Apologies to everyone for going on about how good a piece of music the 'The Drinking Song' is when it's not available anywhere to listen to.

It truly is an outstanding track but Roseann and her dad want to keep it under wraps until the EP is officially released in a month's time. So regrettably I can't give the MP3 link.

But trust me on this. It is an exceptional piece of music and I can't wait for some of you to hear it and the other three tracks on the EP which are not far behind in their quality.

When you throw in three of the tracks on the Out From Under Ep plus what are the three best tracks from her debut album, we're talking of a pretty outstanding 10 track album. And going right back to the '60's you don't get an awful lot of albums with 10 quality tracks.

I tell yer - this girl is the business - no doubt about it.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2016, 09:41:24 pm »
Wishing I was there.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2016, 10:52:16 pm »
Wishing I was there.

Nice one.

I have a feeling there'll be a fair few off here who know their stuff and who'll be watching her perform over the next few years when she comes back over.

The most captivating I've ever seen solo with guitar was Bruce at the Edinburgh Playhouse on the Tom Joad tour and at The Albert hall on the Devils and Dust tour.

Both times he was sensational.

RoseAnn comfortably matched the level of those performances.

She really is something else. She looks quite matronly with a midi skirt and boots which if anything accentuate the fact she's on the short side. Her guitar actually looks a couple of sizes too big for her. So as she stands there to perform you kind of hold your breath fearing the worst ie - that this ain't gonna go too well.

But then she strikes her opening chord and fuck me you're immediately with her spellbound on this amazing musical rollercoaster. The music simply gushes out of her.

Sensational.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
AIRING OF GRIEVANCES - RoseAnn Fino's new record
« Reply #63 on: June 9, 2016, 05:11:22 pm »
The Airing of Grievances

Link for free listen - and hopeful purchase.

https://roseannfino.bandcamp.com/

The Airing of Grievances - Review

So I’m not really sure how to talk about RoseAnn Fino’s new record. I rate it so highly but if I continue my odyssey to eulogise about the music she makes then I’m sure it’s tempting for folks to dismiss such eulogising as merely the ramblings of her dad’s mate. Or maybe some one-eyed fanatic. Also I know only too well that in the past I’ve rubbed people up the wrong way by shoving my enthusiasm in their faces when they want to make up their own minds free of propaganda from me.

And yet my problem is that considered middle ground territory has never been comfy territory for me. Ambivalence is not my scene. If I’m only so-so about something then I tend just to keep schtum . I don’t really see the point in writing or posting about anything I don’t consider remarkable.

So, yeah, you’ve guessed it, in this instance I’ll risk the dismissals, the slights and such like to enter the eulogising zone that comes most naturally to me. And, boy, does the quality of this record induce within me some urge for rampant eulogising. Quite simply, in my own humble/not so humble opinion [delete as most appropriate] the four tracks on RoseAnn's latest record are as good as anything I've ever come across since my late Uncle Dave first exposed me to the swinging joys of Bobby Darin back in the late ‘50’s.

Yes, I honestly believe it’s that good. And in mitigation against accusations of making such a claim spuriously I speak as someone who up until my exposure these past few months to Roseann’s latest offering has held Astral Weeks, Highway 61, The Band’s early albums, 12 Songs, Blue, Murmur, Please Please Me, Revolver, Talking Book, Sly’s Greatest Hits, The River and Grand Prix as my own personal high water listening benchmarks.

I was sent the MP3's some two months ago by Roseann's dad and have listened to all four tracks probably every day since - often repeated listenings. They are so good that even after so many repeated hearings I find myself still hankering after listening to them again and again. That, by my reckoning, is as stringent a litmus test as there ever was for a record's greatness. So much so, I've been desperate to put the MP3 links on here for others to share but kept my word to her dad that I would wait until the official release date which was yesterday.

As most reading this are already aware I've raved about RoseAnn before - and certainly not just because she's the daughter of a friend but because I believe she is quite simply an outstanding young artist with a rare lyrical/musical songwriting talent and a performing ability and charisma to complement her burgeoning creativity.

On her previous Out From Under record I felt three of the four tracks were outstanding. That was not simply my own take. Some on here -  Albie [92A], Cassiel and VBG to name just three - felt similar if not quite so avid enthusiasm as myself for the quality of the songs on that record. But make no mistake, as good as that last record was, RoseAnn has now moved artistically onto another level with what I can only term a minor masterpiece in The Airing of Grievances.

It might sound like an outrageous claim given the lowly levels of recognition that exists for her to date but for me Airing of Grievances reveals an artist who creatively is already very near the top of the ladder. Aided and abetted by her trusty bandmates whose own musical qualities have clearly infused extra magic into the raw song ingredients with which RoseAnn has presented them, the record’s thematic material, its teasing, hauntingly beautiful melodies, Roseann’s unerring vocal authenticity, the tight clever arrangements and her own and her bandmates’ sterling musicianship are all wonderfully synthesised into what is a breathtaking collective.

The record’s theme is of crazy mixed up overwhelming despair laced with contrasting shards of defiant pride and contentment at a lifestyle at once challenged and debauched by hedonistic tendencies/weaknesses yet at the same time occasionally fulfilled by the music she manages to create and the ensuing joy it provides for her and her, as yet, small band of followers.

Yet whilst great records demand a consistent theme, they also need songs of distinction to provide the melodic platform to complete the circle. And on this record that requirement is met in bucketfuls. 

The opening title track is unusual and not a little madcap. It uniquely blends singalong vaudeville with jaunty skiffle whilst introducing the record’s thread of desperation with a self-deprecating comic style belying that desperation. It works magnificently.  The second track – the Drinking Song - is the record’s centrepiece. It is brief yet outstanding by any standard, taking us to the very heart of the singer’s despair and failures with a dark, brooding ballad that aches so much it would leave Hank Williams short of tears. The song’s musical climax soars to a peak that tears at your guts, promising escape and resolution only for that promise to be forsaken by the ultimate regret of the song’s closing lines. Track three, Touch Me, is a swirling rocker that sees the singer defiant, taunting willing admirers with provocative ‘come-ons’. Initial hearings pick up a Sympathy for The Devil connection. Several plays later the song has left any such slender mimicry far behind, revealing its full rocking majesty and simply demanding to be played again and again for its many layers to be absorbed.

The album’s closing track – Californian Debutante – is another stunning brooding lament. This time for a lost love that feels to the singer like it can be the only one she’ll ever know. Its haunting beauty brings to an end 20 minutes or so of incredible music that sits alongside any you care to name. It is to be hoped this landmark quartet of truly great songs marks a breakthrough for a talent so richly deserving of it. Such things don’t always pan out the way they should as we all know. But when you have an artist with music within their locker as good as this, then it is to be hoped it does.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 03:25:33 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: A must Buy? - The Airing of Grievances - RoseAnn Fino's new record
« Reply #64 on: June 9, 2016, 06:46:06 pm »
Just bought it there Timbo - looking forward to hearing it tomorrow. Will report back. Thanks dude.

edit - couldn't resist having a little listen to the first tune once I downloaded it. Bang of Mike Scott of that intro. Good opener.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2016, 07:40:48 pm by Chip Evans »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: June 9, 2016, 09:04:22 pm »
Airing of Grievances is a lovely little song, if you can't thoroughly enjoy the strings and the distinctive voice in that you're missing something :)

It's not dissimilar to something nice and quirky that would be played on the Rider.

Love it Timbo mate. Genuinely  :wave

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2016, 06:45:30 am »
Just bought it there Timbo - looking forward to hearing it tomorrow. Will report back. Thanks dude.

edit - couldn't resist having a little listen to the first tune once I downloaded it. Bang of Mike Scott of that intro. Good opener.

Don't let your wee one listen to it tho S lad - that 'fucked up' lyric is loud and clear!!

;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2016, 07:02:55 am »
Airing of Grievances is a lovely little song, if you can't thoroughly enjoy the strings and the distinctive voice in that you're missing something :)

It's not dissimilar to something nice and quirky that would be played on the Rider.

Love it Timbo mate. Genuinely  :wave

I love them all John but The Drinking Song is just so amazing, so real, so convincing - just so incredibly unique and bloody good that it both excites me and frightens me how rare a talent we're witnessing here.

She came over to the UK last month and did a solo acoustic gig at The Caledonia - thanks Sam for the help for getting that  :wave.  She's the most delightful thing imaginable to meet and chat with but even though you know what she's capable of because you've heard the records, part of you feels as she stands there so fragile and vulnerable looking on the stage that nothing special is going to unfold. But then wham, she hits that first chord on that guitar of hers and she's away on a spine-tingling musical adventure that just carries you along.

She's the real deal. No question.

There were some old troopers there that night who stayed behind to thank her after the gig and tell her that they've been attending gig like hers for donkey's years and that she was far and away the best they'd ever seen.

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
Re: The Airing of Grievances - RoseAnn Fino's new record
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2016, 07:04:28 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Timbo, Airing Of Grievances is a really good listen.

I hope that it is a success, she deserves it.
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2016, 09:43:08 am »
Thanks for the heads up Timbo, Airing Of Grievances is a really good listen.

I hope that it is a success, she deserves it.

Cheers Bob lad - thought you'd enjoy!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2016, 09:44:34 am »
Looks like I'm not the only one to have gone overboard - though I think I've possibly outdone him!!

;D

http://www.elmoremagazine.com/2016/06/reviews/albums/roseann-fino

Offline Ale-lujah! Ale-lujah!

• Main Stander
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2016, 11:40:16 am »
I'll give it a few listens and get back. I remember the last one. It was good I seem to recall. The cool name - Roseann Fino kind of sticks

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2016, 11:50:22 am »
Another great little EP. Very honest, great tunes, lovely voice.

Catchy as hell too. Only listened a couple of times and songs are in my head!

Offline Ale-lujah! Ale-lujah!

• Main Stander
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2016, 04:07:23 pm »
I'll give it a few listens and get back. I remember the last one. It was good I seem to recall. The cool name - Roseann Fino kind of sticks

Hmmm. Had a lot of driving to do today so been playing it a good few hours. What I'm struggling to get my head round is it says this is a new artist and band but she/they sound like they've been around for decades. It's seriously good but can't quite work out how something so good and so mature has just appeared out of nowhere. Looking at he You Tube/Facebook etc and she's hardly got any followers yet she's doing this. Has she recorded under another name?

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2016, 11:38:35 am »
Hmmm. Had a lot of driving to do today so been playing it a good few hours. What I'm struggling to get my head round is it says this is a new artist and band but she/they sound like they've been around for decades. It's seriously good but can't quite work out how something so good and so mature has just appeared out of nowhere. Looking at he You Tube/Facebook etc and she's hardly got any followers yet she's doing this. Has she recorded under another name?

Why d'you think I'm making all this effort on her behalf!!!

It's not just cos she's the daughter of a mate but because she's a phenomenal fucking talent who deserves an audience commensurate with her huge talent.

The poverty of appreciation for her sensational quality as a recording/performing artist stands currently as a testament to just how difficult it is for an artist of such quality to get themselves known and appreciated and to make any headway in the music game.

Thankfully an established Toronto based disc jockey has seen the light and has espoused similar enthusiasm for her talent as myself and the music journo I've linked above. It was fantastic to hear him eulogising like me!! I'm sure something will develop from the exposure she gets in that Toronto area.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
Re: AIRING OF GRIEVANCES - RoseAnn Fino's new record
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2016, 06:03:51 am »
Listened through thrice before posting and am listening while writing.

First off, the band is tight as a gnat's chuff with outstanding arrangement on all four tracks with particular mention to Alyson on Viola.

RoseAnn is without doubt a huge talent and Timbo is right to champion her. She's found her own voice and style with this record. Yes, there are influences and tracks such as California Debutante has an infusion of Van Morrison, Nick Cave and Dylan, yet she brings a unique quality through the melody and her rich, spine tingling voice makes it her own. This song, in particular, has entered my noggin and refuses to move.

There you go, Al, thanks for the gentle prod! Bought the music and am completely sold on this talent. Sorry I missed her in the 'Pool.

To those listening please give it a couple of go's; not because it is an acquired taste, far from it, but because you will change your mind as to best track. I'm thinking now, on 5th listening, maybe the title track is the best.....

.....you know The Drinking Song is so haunting and lovely......
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 06:23:05 am by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2016, 08:35:58 am »
Listened through thrice before posting and am listening while writing.

First off, the band is tight as a gnat's chuff with outstanding arrangement on all four tracks with particular mention to Alyson on Viola.

RoseAnn is without doubt a huge talent and Timbo is right to champion her. She's found her own voice and style with this record. Yes, there are influences and tracks such as California Debutante has an infusion of Van Morrison, Nick Cave and Dylan, yet she brings a unique quality through the melody and her rich, spine tingling voice makes it her own. This song, in particular, has entered my noggin and refuses to move.

There you go, Al, thanks for the gentle prod! Bought the music and am completely sold on this talent. Sorry I missed her in the 'Pool.

To those listening please give it a couple of go's; not because it is an acquired taste, far from it, but because you will change your mind as to best track. I'm thinking now, on 5th listening, maybe the title track is the best.....

.....you know The Drinking Song is so haunting and lovely......

What can I say? [as Boz Scaggs would put it] :)

You've put it across in your own inimitable 'cut to the chase' fashion - like you do with so many of your posts.

The fact we coincide with our take on this surprises me not one tiny bit. I've been listening to these songs for three months and have simply not tired of them once. Christ I can't even do that with Bruce or The Beatles or Van or Nick Cavern or Randy newman or Joni Mitchell or Neil Young or The Stones or the beach Boys or The Band or Dylan or Gene Clark or Gram Parsons or Teenage Fanclub or Shack or any other ALREADY FUCKING ESTABLISHED artist you care to name.

It's that desire to keep listening once I already know each song backwards, forwards sideways up which has convinced me without a flicker of doubt that we are witnessing the birth of a major talent. RoseAnne clearly has it all to prove still but the trajectory is so pointed in the right direction with what she has so far churned out that you simply have to believe - as with any of the great artists I've referenced and others I haven't - that the quality of these last two EP's is no freak but rather a peak into the unreal talent that seams through her.

Thanks P lad.

BTW - do you mind if I send your comments on to her arl fella?

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2016, 09:41:34 am »
Feel free, pal, I sent RoseAnn a little note upon purchase of ep.

She's knockout, Al and I'm gonna be sharing her with fambo and friends. I suggest it would be a cracking Fathers Day prezzie for someone, not that she's an arl arse taste, far from it.....I'll have to stop saying that..... it's just the most imminent. For the future, has she any plans to come over again?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2016, 10:04:37 am »
Feel free, pal, I sent RoseAnn a little note upon purchase of ep.

She's knockout, Al and I'm gonna be sharing her with fambo and friends. I suggest it would be a cracking Fathers Day prezzie for someone, not that she's an arl arse taste, far from it.....I'll have to stop saying that..... it's just the most imminent. For the future, has she any plans to come over again?

She certainly has P.

She was tremendous on the night and although The caledonia was only a small gig there was a lovely atmosphere, the audience loved her and she absolutely loved it and she and her boyfriend loved the entire Liverpool 'thing'. So yeah she is really keen to come back and Liverpool is top of her list.

Thing is she's the most delightful thing imaginable to meet and chat with but even though you know what she's capable of because you've heard her on the records, part of you feels as she stands there so fragile and vulnerable looking on the stage that nothing special is going to unfold. But then wham, she hits that first chord on that guitar of hers and she's away on a spine-tingling musical adventure that just carries you along.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2016, 12:34:42 pm »
I'll listen to this soon Timbo, I promise!

Wait til I have my afternoon off on Wednesday, day of listening.