Author Topic: The Grand Tour - Clarkson, Hammond and May  (Read 26532 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Grand Tour - Clarkson, Hammond and May
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2016, 12:00:19 pm »
The ice cream comment was a bit beyond the line. Even for them

I think they are (and have for a long time) just sparking publicity with stuff like that.
It's not a live show, things don't just slip past unintentionally.

Yet there he is - making a comment that an 11 year old boy from 1987 might make and here we are talking about it - just as I'm sure they wanted.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2016, 12:29:30 pm »
I often zone out during the studio bits, playing on my phone etc, so I missed it completely before it blew up on twitter. Dumb as fuck.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2016, 12:34:50 pm »
People actually still watch these three meffs?

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2016, 12:35:18 pm »
I don't really understand why people need to be so outraged by it though. It's just a crap joke made by a moron. Who gives a shit?
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2016, 12:59:39 pm »
I don't really understand why people need to be so outraged by it though. It's just a crap joke made by a moron. Who gives a shit?

Probably because like the Sky generation people love them and the attitude spreads. Three of them should disappear really

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2016, 01:06:09 pm »
Probably because like the Sky generation people love them and the attitude spreads. Three of them should disappear really
And they never will do if people keep giving them publicity by pretending to be outraged by shit jokes.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2016, 01:27:27 pm »
I have never heard of this stereotype before.

I'm straight and I love ice cream.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2016, 06:27:32 pm »
did anyone moaning about said joke actually watch the show? the whole point seemed to be that it was a stupid comment that everyone else there thought was stupid.

people just want to be offended these days.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2016, 07:14:47 pm »
Jokes on Hammond anyway, ice cream is boss and he's missing out, the little weasel-faced tit. Only good thing about him is that he afforded Stewart Lee the opportunity to make that joke.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Kwaideng

• Hamshank Redemption
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2016, 10:36:21 pm »

"people just want to be offended these days".
Wasn't that meant to be the original working title for Jim'll Fix It?

It's just a joke  .....like they do on Top Gear.
The clique is just a click away.
And they are being watched too, but don't know it.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2016, 10:41:01 pm »
what on earth are you whittering on about?

Offline Kwaideng

• Hamshank Redemption
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2016, 11:02:14 pm »
A two line comment is hardly "wittering".

Back to the Darts thread if you feel offended. :wave

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2016, 11:08:42 pm »
offended? hardly. I just think you're typing rubbish mate.

which in a way is somewhat fitting in a thread about this show because they do talk a lot of rubbish. but I tend to find their rubbish amusing.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2016, 11:21:44 pm »
People actually still watch these three meffs?

Set of c*nts - James may isn't too bad but the other two - twats
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Kwaideng

• Hamshank Redemption
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2016, 11:27:55 pm »
offended? hardly. I just think you're typing rubbish mate.

which in a way is somewhat fitting in a thread about this show because they do talk a lot of rubbish. but I tend to find their rubbish amusing.
The Top Gear/joke reference is a follow on from the Stewart Lee point made by Sam above.

The "offended"/Jim'll Fix It  point should be obvious.

Clarkson is a humourous journalist but is a c*nt, May is OK but for Hammond...see Stewart Lee (now that is amusing).

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2016, 07:16:19 am »
People who don't understand the problem with Hammond's juvenile homophobia obviously haven't talked to their gay and lesbian friends, relations and acquaintances about the impact of homophobic prejudice, abuse and violence. Thankfully things have improved massively in my lifetime but pathetic 'lads' behaviour on a mainstream(ish) tv programme gives comfort to knuckle dragging pricks everywhere.

We're a football website - isn't it incredible that there are no openly gay premier league footballers? Probably not if you're a brain dead c*nt like Hammond and think all gay men are a bit 'whoopsy' and like ice cream and 'chocolate'. It's because even in the more liberal world we live in now there are pockets of homophobia among 'lads' (young and old).

If anyone isn't offended by Hammond and Clarkson then they fucking well should be.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2016, 07:44:06 am »
a character on a scripted tv show made a stupid comment. it was acknowledged to have been a stupid comment by other characters on the show. he got laughed at and ridiculed for making such a stupid comment.

from the reactions of some people you'd think they were the westboro baptist twats in the states or something. as usual the general reactions from around internetland seem to be people being offended on behalf of other people and those who are actually gay don't seem to give a shit and have just taken the piss out of it. which is what it deserves.

I quite like stewart lee on the other hand. he's pretty clever, even if some of the 'deliberately unfunny' stuff is skirting very close to disappearing up his own arse.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2016, 08:49:03 am »
and those who are actually gay don't seem to give a shit and have just taken the piss out of it. which is what it deserves.

Really? When did you speak to all of these 'actually gay' people? I'm sure there are some who treat Hammond with the dismissive contempt he deserves. But unless you are 'actually gay' yourself and have spoken to the entire gay community I have no idea how you are in a position to dismiss it so readily.

As it happens, the comment about gay premier league footballers was the result of a conversation I had with a very good friend the night before the Stoke match, who is an activist for LGBT issues in football.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2016, 09:21:48 am »
I told you, general reactions around internetland. I'm not professing to speak for anyone.

It's  not anecdotal and has nothing to do with football.

Anyway, this has been spoken about far more than it actually deserves.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2016, 10:30:57 am »
I disagree. When people stop defending homophobic attitudes on tv programmes like Top Gear maybe footballers won't feel the need to conceal their sexuality.

The whole bit was based on the idea that homosexuality is equivalent to being camp and effete. Gay men aren't 'manly' and only interested in anal sex. I'm part of a generation that grew up with jokes about 'poofs' and 'shirtlifters' on tv but thankfully that's largely a thing of the past. 

I have got gay friends who are camp. I've also got straight friends who are a bit camp and I've got gay friends who are six foot two rugby players who would knock that prick Hammond into next week. It's about puerile and out dated stereotypes that really have no place in the twenty-first century.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:12:27 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2016, 10:52:08 am »
The programme's not called top gear.

I'm not defending it. However I do think what was said was worthy of nothing but ridicule and certainly not worth arguing over.

You seem to be attacking an argument that neither I nor anyone else here has actually made.

I think there's enough going on in the world that genuinely is worth getting angry over and a ridiculous comment made by a character on a scripted TV show is somewhere near the bottom of that list.

I'm not getting any further into an argument with someone I don't know about a subject that isn't worthy of it.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2016, 05:28:10 pm »
Nicely put Ray

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 1, 2017, 11:02:48 am »
What a beautiful place Namibia looks. Think they'd be better off just doing big specials,  two or three a year.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 1, 2017, 02:02:20 pm »
What a beautiful place Namibia looks. Think they'd be better off just doing big specials,  two or three a year.

Was thinking that while watching it. By far the most enjoyable and entertaining episodes so far. Yeah bits are clearly scripted but it doesnt feel as forced here, and you get moments of off the cuff hilarity that are just because they have brilliant chemistry together. Seeing Clarkson get smacked in the face by a dildo while driving through Africa in a beach buggy, just a magical highlight.

A few of these type of specials, that were always the best parts of Top Gear, then a more focused show on cars like the LeMans special James did, a few decent car reviews etc, hypercars, maybe a road trip episode and it would be pretty perfect.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 1, 2017, 06:14:39 pm »
Was thinking that while watching it. By far the most enjoyable and entertaining episodes so far. Yeah bits are clearly scripted but it doesnt feel as forced here, and you get moments of off the cuff hilarity that are just because they have brilliant chemistry together. Seeing Clarkson get smacked in the face by a dildo while driving through Africa in a beach buggy, just a magical highlight.

A few of these type of specials, that were always the best parts of Top Gear, then a more focused show on cars like the LeMans special James did, a few decent car reviews etc, hypercars, maybe a road trip episode and it would be pretty perfect.

Yes, less is more. Lose the "guest" joke, lose the track and the "stand up". They probably dont even need the tent come to think of it. Some of this series I've just had on in the background but enjoyed this special.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2017, 12:55:07 pm »
Hearing that Hammond hurt himself falling off a motorbike during filming.  From the sounds of things it's not too serious, but starting to think that chap needs to be looking at a new line of work.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2017, 05:58:06 pm »
another accident by Richard-9-lives-Hammond

looks quite a bad one but seems he is ok

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/10/grand-tour-presenterrichard-hammondairlifted-hospital-crash/
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2017, 06:12:35 pm »
That's an electric car that burnt out too...!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2017, 11:52:55 pm »
Crash and burn.
So that's Hammond and May having a bad week. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:54:29 pm by bigbonedrawky »

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2017, 12:22:55 am »
He'll have a book out about that, then.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2017, 08:09:04 am »
Does that mean he's not coming on then?

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2017, 08:36:36 am »
:)

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2017, 10:01:10 am »

oh that's good.

Offline Kwaideng

• Hamshank Redemption
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2017, 01:36:58 pm »
I disagree. When people stop defending homophobic attitudes on tv programmes like Top Gear maybe footballers won't feel the need to conceal their sexuality.

The whole bit was based on the idea that homosexuality is equivalent to being camp and effete. Gay men aren't 'manly' and only interested in anal sex. I'm part of a generation that grew up with jokes about 'poofs' and 'shirtlifters' on tv but thankfully that's largely a thing of the past. 

I have got gay friends who are camp. I've also got straight friends who are a bit camp and I've got gay friends who are six foot two rugby players who would knock that prick Hammond into next week. It's about puerile and out dated stereotypes that really have no place in the twenty-first century.
I have seen ultra camp ladyboys who have had gender re-assignment surgery e.g. Nong Toom who have been Muay Thai boxing champions whilst wearing make-up and whom if they wanted to could knock Hammond and indeed any six foot two rugby player spark out without batting a false eyelash.

It's all a load of bollocks or maybe not? ;)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 01:56:40 pm by Kwaideng »

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2017, 11:57:13 am »
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/12/a-forensic-debunking-of-the-grand-tours-trip-to-switzerland/

The problem this guy makes is thinking The Grand Tour is a factual show when it's clearly more an entertainment show, and I don't think they even attempt to hide that fact. TG was no different, and a lot of the film elements were extremely staged, scripted and situations set up.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2017, 12:00:41 pm »
What a twat

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2017, 12:22:35 pm »
Imagine thinking any of what happens on this show is factual and not just three middle aged people being dickheads in cars.

First ep of season 2 was good, more car stuff, actual guests which wasnt amazing but less irritating than the other shit they did last time. Fun hour.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2017, 12:24:02 pm »
The problem this guy makes is thinking The Grand Tour is a factual show when it's clearly more an entertainment show, and I don't think they even attempt to hide that fact. TG was no different, and a lot of the film elements were extremely staged, scripted and situations set up.

It would be ok if the people watching it treated Clarkson, May and Hammond in the way they used to treat Alf Garnet. If the 'humour' is that a bunch of unfunny xenophobes, who are deep into their mid-life crises, can't get to grips with the modern world then fine. Sadly I think that the people who watch that shite tend to identify with Clarkson's world view rather than laugh at it's pathetic absurdity.

TGT Humour 101:

Foreigners are a bit poncy (and probably all gay - which is a bad thing in TGT world).
Healthy eating is for foreigners, poofs and birds.
Electric cars are for foreigners, poofs and birds... (there's a pattern to this).
Spending your working life in a sub-homoerotic fantasy family (Clarkson as bear-daddy, May as the 'wife' and Hammond the weird man-baby) with no women is completely normal. Spending time with women is for foreigners, poofs and other women.
And of course:

Petrol cars are for real men...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)