Author Topic: The referee watch thread.  (Read 30817 times)

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
The referee watch thread.
« on: January 11, 2014, 05:40:12 pm »
Well there's abit of a discussion going on about referees so if your watching any premiership games and see any decisions that are abit hmm feel free to discuss it here.

Add pics, gifs, stats, and anything else you feel warrants discussion.

Todays ref for united v swansea is chris foy. 

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The referee watch thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 06:06:33 pm »
is that sir chris foy then,didnt know he was a ref
bollocks

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 06:18:50 pm »
Is it just me who thinks Foy is leaning towards the home side?

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 06:21:43 pm »
Lee Mason was absolutely shocking at the Cardiff v West Ham game today. Awful.

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 06:38:24 pm »
from the indy

"16.57 Noble is appealing for a penalty for West Ham, but you would need to hit someone with a snooker cue for Lee Mason to award something."

"Lee Mason is not a popular man inside the Cardiff City Stadium. He has waved a few away for the home side today."

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 06:41:59 pm »
RAWK will probably hear from the FAs lawyers over this thread.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 07:03:52 pm »
Well how about we keep a scorecard of questionable decisions by each ref, or at least the glaring ones?

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 07:04:01 pm »
http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2014-01-10/former-premier-league-referee-graham-poll-admits-to-feeling-sense-of-relief-when-man-united-won/

Former Premier League referee Graham Poll admits he used to feel "a sense of relief" when Man United played well in and won games he officiated.

Writing in his Daily Mail column, Poll said:

"I would concede there was a sense of relief when United played well and won, particularly at Old Trafford.

"I knew if they didn't win there was every chance of seeing and, more importantly, hearing Ferguson and reading his comments about me in the papers the next day.

"All referees knew that Fergie's standing in the game - and the fact that he was at the biggest club - meant that when he unleashed the hairdryer on a referee there were inevitable headlines."

Poll also suggested David Moyes has to accept he cannot enjoy anything like the same intimidating effect he believes Mr. Ferguson enjoyed for many years.

"I fear another defeat for Moyes," he said.

"[Moyes] must accept that he does not have the same intimidating presence as his predecessor had."

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 07:09:44 pm »
The referee watch thread?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:11:42 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 07:40:04 pm »
http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2014-01-10/former-premier-league-referee-graham-poll-admits-to-feeling-sense-of-relief-when-man-united-won/

Former Premier League referee Graham Poll admits he used to feel "a sense of relief" when Man United played well in and won games he officiated.

"I would concede there was a sense of relief when United played well and won, particularly at Old Trafford.

"I knew if they didn't win there was every chance of seeing and, more importantly, hearing Ferguson and reading his comments about me in the papers the next day.

"All referees knew that Fergie's standing in the game - and the fact that he was at the biggest club - meant that when he unleashed the hairdryer on a referee there were inevitable headlines."

Poll also suggested David Moyes has to accept he cannot enjoy anything like the same intimidating effect he believes Mr. Ferguson enjoyed for many years.

"[Moyes] must accept that he does not have the same intimidating presence as his predecessor had."

Pair this with Halsey's "texts" comments and maybe we weren't bitter, paranoid bastards (as we were told we were) when we said that Ferguson had the refs in his back pocket. Shocker.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 08:02:11 pm »

Coward.

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 08:10:22 pm »

It's a disgrace, titles should be deducted for them.

Offline 00jebus

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 08:36:19 pm »
^^ I don't understand why the FA let their referee's just say stuff like this, or have these attitudes but just let them be and not, you know, address the problem, surely it counts as a minor case of brining the game into disrepute if someone who is supposed to be impartial thinks this way?

Pair this with Halsey's "texts" comments and maybe we weren't bitter, paranoid bastards (as we were told we were) when we said that Ferguson had the refs in his back pocket. Shocker.

What he say again?

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 08:54:59 pm »
I think in actuality, beneath the face of it the referees are far more unprofessional and partial than they like to let on, and I bet the system for promotion and relegation is entirely variable and poorly-organised.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 11:19:12 pm »
When do the refs have to turn up in this thread and respond to the allegations users throw at them?
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 11:23:36 pm »
usually about 10 years after they've packed it in.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 11:29:47 pm »
When do the refs have to turn up in this thread and respond to the allegations users throw at them?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 03:00:10 pm »
comedy gold...another week,another BIG mistake

when this is going to stop?
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 03:04:57 pm »
clearly these refs arent paid enough,
bollocks

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 03:05:52 pm »
clearly these refs arent paid enough,

They aren't bitchslapped enough you mean.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 03:10:37 pm »
They aren't bitchslapped enough you mean.
sorry,typo
bollocks

Offline JG-7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 03:16:37 pm »
Appropriate time to bump this thread is seems. Yet another incompetent and weak ref, doesn't surprise me to hear this was the beachball referee.

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.

Offline Mamadou

• Legacy Fan

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 03:45:50 pm »

Offline Sgt. Pepper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 03:58:15 pm »
Awful refereeing at Newcastle. Can't wait until they're all replaced by robots.

A mirror image of our game against City. Let the conspiracy theories commence.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:59:52 pm by Sgt. Pepper »

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 06:48:46 pm »
Well just heard Pardew going on about 'This is an entertainment business' and ''hes not give it on a minor technicality' so hes obviously had the rule book out with the ref and looks like it mightve been a correct decision under the rules as I have said earlier in the thread
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Mamadou

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 06:53:20 pm »
what rule mate?

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 06:58:20 pm »
Well just heard Pardew going on about 'This is an entertainment business' and ''hes not give it on a minor technicality' so hes obviously had the rule book out with the ref and looks like it mightve been a correct decision under the rules as I have said earlier in the thread

If the rules do prohibit then it'd be harsh when looking at with common sense, but unfortunately there are scenarios where the rules are either "weakly" written or just have loopholes.

In this case, I'd say if there rules say no then I'd say it should be a yes, keeper was never getting to it.

Or like in the "ask a ref" question, where a tannoy blast puts off a penalty kicker - it might not be against the rules but it's taking the piss and should he.

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 07:20:52 pm »
I keep saying that referees should be interviewed after matches just like the players and managers do.

BT Sport even have a little TV sometimes so players or managers can talk through the goals and stuff.

I would love to see a referee stood there on camera, watching a replay of his decisions with the interviewer standing there saying "Come on then, what were you thinking there?!"

I bet there wouldn't be as many fuck ups then if they were being publicly embarrassed every week.
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 07:24:46 pm »
I bet there wouldn't be as many fuck ups then if they were being publicly embarrassed every week.

I'm guessing that's the very reason why they don't. Being the scapegoat is terribly inconveniencing don't you know. I'd rather if was worked to help them explain their decision making without looking to screw them over.

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 07:30:59 pm »
I'm guessing that's the very reason why they don't. Being the scapegoat is terribly inconveniencing don't you know. I'd rather if was worked to help them explain their decision making without looking to screw them over.

Either way, they should do it.

Too easy for them to hide after their fuck ups.

Don't get me wrong, if they have a good game then use the interview process to praise them for the decisions they do get right.
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline redhokie8

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2014, 07:40:08 pm »
in the refs defense, from a goalkeeping perspective having that player in the balls trajectory does cause hesitation. you can kind of see that during the goal it looks like hart is looking at gouffran before the balls in the net. still harsh though

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 07:59:35 pm »
Either way, they should do it.

Too easy for them to hide after their fuck ups.

Don't get me wrong, if they have a good game then use the interview process to praise them for the decisions they do get right.

Fine as long as it's an impartial interview, a chance to talk through things. Not if it's a chance to have a interrogation by reporter, which in all likelihood it would end up being.

I don't like half the decisions either but I know just how bad the Sky/BT Sport/BBC/ITV reporters tend to be with their inane, inflammatory, misleading, biased or just plain stupid questions.

It's bad enough with them doing it to managers with "dodgy" decisions but if they could have a go at referees then I think they'd be much worse.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2014, 08:14:17 pm »

So if Brendan Rodgers becomes a raging bully then the league is ours. I can't remember the other Ref who was supplied with free tickets by the tramp (Halsey ?) so there is corruption, money doesn't have to be involved, favours will do it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:19:58 pm by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 08:16:34 pm »
Awful refereeing at Newcastle. Can't wait until they're all replaced by robots.

A mirror image of our game against City. Let the conspiracy theories commence.
Well it was Mike Jones and you know all about him. I've just watched the recording of the game and in the old days, that was offside without a shadow of a doubt. But now there's all these complications about interfering, being active (and what did Shankly say about that?) etc. How can you say that decision is right or wrong with all those? It could have been they thought the ball touched Gouffran, in which case they were jsutified in disallowing it, or they could have just got it plain wrong. They've only got one view of it though so have to make a decision based on that.

The thing that got me annoyed (and I accept I'm watching it from a one-sided view) is that he seemed to keep his cards in his pocket to compensate for disallowing that. Cabaye was on a yellow and got away with two tackles that normally would have seen a second yellow. Sissoko was on a yellow and got away with a deliberate handball. Yangwe M'Bia should have had a straight red and Santon (who could have easily had a yellow in the first half when he went through the back of Nasri) wasn't carded for a professional foul on Kolarov. Jones just gave them licence to kick. So if you ask a City fan, We'd say that, despite the  disallowed goal, we came out of that worse.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:20:28 pm by ManchesterBlue »

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 08:19:09 pm »
The one officiating at our place today needs to gan to Specsavers ASAP.

Isn't he the one who let the Mackems keep their crap goal (the beach ball incident) against you's?

Tosser wants throwing out the game     :no

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 08:21:36 pm »
The one officiating at our place today needs to gan to Specsavers ASAP.

Isn't he the one who let the Mackems keep their crap goal (the beach ball incident) against you's?

Tosser wants throwing out the game     :no
That's the one. I was staggered when he allowed that goal to stand and totally agree that someone who does not know a basic law should not be refereeing at this level and I've never seen anything from Jones to make me change my mind.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 12:43:59 pm »
This is probably the best thread to put this in, but what has happened to the program of suspensions we were supposed to see this season for violent tackles and challenges, even if the referee had produced a booking? Like the Respect campaign, this one seems to have been tidily put back in a drawer. Eto'o on Henderson. Rooney on Mutch. And now Yanga-Mbiwa on Nasri all come to mind is candidates that deserved red and possibly suspensions after-the-fact.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 12:52:09 pm »
How about a "1 review per game", option?

If teams feel a certain decision has gone against them, they can appeal. Then and there. The player in question, indicates to the captain of his team about the foul/offside/penalty/yellow card etc, who inturn speaks to the referee about the decision to review the incident. The game is paused, and reviewed on live camera (As in, the replays are shown on TV), very similar to the 3rd umpire review system in cricket.

The teams can only enable 1 review per game, and if they get it wrong, they lose their appeal in their next game. They are not carried over.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:55:44 pm by ChaChaMooMoo »