Author Topic: Statistics and Analytics - insight into our performance  (Read 192357 times)

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Using Stats to Talk about Liverpool
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2014, 05:58:17 pm »
Any word on the Gerrard-Lucas partnership we saw today?  Fascinating thread and I look forward to more analysis.
TSR for the game was .50 (i.e. consistent with the previous L&G games, and not very good).
SoTR was .69 (i.e. incredibly good--better than anyone in the league averages).

Goes to show that we can't draw too much from one game. Either way, it doesn't move the dial much.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2014, 06:02:48 pm »
I think those comments from MCofA are in line with what PoP has been saying for a while about the quality of the attack outweighing the lesser standard of the defence. If we can get Arsenal-like defensive numbers next season we can win the league.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Lucas-Gerrard Partnership and Using Stats to Talk about Liverpool
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2014, 06:04:14 pm »
Sorry I haven't caught up with this in a while.

Hi Elston, I was just having a quick look at the link to an LFC performance dashboard (http://public.tableausoftware.com/views/LFC_2013_14_Perf_Dashboard/LFC#1)  that someone posted earlier in the thread; worth a look over a cuppa - quite interesting. This does seem to show a correlation between possession and win/loss which would suggest it could be a useful indicator..?
There's definitely a correlation between possession and success, but there's also a correlation between possession and better shots numbers. The important question is whether there's any reason to think a team with a lot of possession and good shots numbers is better than a team with low possession and good shots numbers. Put another way, is having more possession good because it tends to lead to more shot dominance (in which case, we can just look at things through shots numbers anyway), or does it add another advantage in and of itself. There are some plausible explanations for why the latter might be true, but I don't think I've seen any evidence.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2014, 06:09:15 pm »
The big problem for me with looking at the numbers in isolation is that they don't really tell the whole story. Away to Villa is a pretty good example, last season they tore us apart on the counter and at the start of this season they did the same to Arsenal. They have forwards who are a real threat in behind but are extremely poor at breaking down a low block.

In that game we made a conscious decision to defend deep, allow no space behind the back four and allow Villa to have the ball in areas where they could take pot shots but couldn't hurt us. As TSC was saying about Gerrard and Lucas sometimes you actually want the opposition to try their luck from distance because you are negating their strength whilst at the same time allowing yourself space to counter attack.

At the start of the season we had no Suarez and had to rely almost entirely on Sturridge for goals, that necessitated us to be tight at the back and to keep clean sheets if we wanted to win games. At the moment we are playing in a completely different way Suarez is scoring a ridiculous number of goals and we are basically playing we will score more than you. We are prepared to give teams chances to attack in numbers safe in the knowledge that we have the hottest striker on the planet.

The better sides are prepared to take up that offer of playing in effect basketball where you have an attack and we have an attack whereas the vast majority of sides simply don't have the quality to do that especially at Anfield. So you end up with a pretty small initial sample size that is then made up of different ways we have approached games and different ways the opposition have approached games.

In short you have to look a bit deeper than shots at goal or any single metric and look at what each team set out to achieve because conceding 5 shots on target in a game you have played end to end is very different to conceding 5 shots on target in a game you have looked to keep tight and nick 1-0.

This is the common thinking man's objection to stats, and none of the claims are really disprovable (or wrong), but it's ultimately a lazy argument. The proof is in the pudding, and there's lots of evidence that, no matter how much you want to explain away certain results as tactical or outliers or whatever else, these stats do a pretty good job of predicting the future, and certainly a much better job than human beings do on their own. Now, a) that doesn't mean there aren't exceptions due to tactics, as I've acknowledge numerous times and b) the sample sizes we're dealing with are small,  especially for the games without one of L&G. That's why I've cautioned about not drawing too many conclusions over and over again. But the objection that the stats "don't tell the whole story" is just a truism that's ultimately no objection at all.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2014, 04:01:59 pm »
May as well put it in here, seeing as the Gerrard thread is locked.
I have seen quite a few quotes attributed to the likes of Anfield Index, Kennett etc about Gerrard recovering the ball 16 times  during the Stoke game, something that, apparently, Lucas has never managed to do since opta starting doing stats.
Despite having reservations about Gerrards 7 clearances being counted as recovering the ball, I randomly checked one game (Liverpool v Chelsea 2010 when Torres scored the 2) at fourfourtwo statzone, and lo and behold, Lucas had 12 successful tackles and 4 interceptions in that game.
Do Anfield Index/  Dan Kennett use different standards when measuring ball recovery?
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline The Woolster

• Main Stander
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2014, 04:11:06 pm »
Not seen the comments you mention but the tackler might not be the player who recovers the ball.

Are you also sure all his clearances count as recoveries?

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2014, 05:06:18 pm »

The big problem for me with looking at the numbers in isolation is that they don't really tell the whole story.

I don't want to appear patronizing or facetious here, but surely no-one would claim that they do? Nobody just checks a BBC data feed on possession, shots, corners, fouls, etc. instead of watching the game, and then assumes that they can recreate the game in their mind's eye, do they?

Stats are like maps. A map never captures all the diversity of a landscape, and stats will never capture the complexity of a game (especially a game that isn't broken up into discrete segments like football). But they have a variety of uses: they can allow you to investigate long-term trends, they can provide an objective measure of a team's success in one facet of the game, they can challenge your subjective opinions about an individual's patterns of play. They're just tools, and like any tool, they can be misused. So, I'd suggest that a reasoned response to a statistical argument shouldn't be based on the contingencies of a particular game, but whether a particular set of data, or an analytical framework, is the best way to summarize a process or an outcome.

So, for example, is "shots ratio" the best index we have of how a team has been performing, or how it will perform in future?     
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:20:52 pm by barbudo »
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2014, 05:17:43 pm »
Can anyone direct me to or post  here LFC's points comparison against the corresponding games last season?
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2014, 07:14:40 pm »
There a a whole thread about it over here - http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=307955.0

Offline robgomm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2014, 10:42:17 pm »
Be interested to see our shots stats this weekend in more detail if anyone has them. It seems we didn't create that many good shooting opportunities and we conceded rather too many decent shooting opportunities. I'd be interested to see if our shot numbers and quality alters with Suarez and Sturridge than with just one of them playing.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2014, 12:36:38 am »
I think this article from Colin Trainor really highlights why it makes sense to chase a goal scoring wide player, even though our biggest needs are in CM and fullback. It's an article about how subs make a huge difference in goalscoring for attackers, and makes you realize how damaging it is that we don't have any goalscorers off the bencht that Rodgers trusts.

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2014, 05:19:58 pm »
From that same Colin Trainor that Elston has just mentioned:

Offline robgomm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2014, 02:50:07 pm »
Not sure where I can find stats but I'm interested in what happens to Suarez' goal record when he plays with Sturridge and vice versa. Sturrdige seems to score regardless. Anybody know without me trawling back through games?

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2014, 09:36:20 pm »
Not sure where I can find stats but I'm interested in what happens to Suarez' goal record when he plays with Sturridge and vice versa. Sturrdige seems to score regardless. Anybody know without me trawling back through games?

Great question.  Formation and players within the formation may be critical to your question.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2014, 10:57:45 pm »
Heres one for the numbers guys:

It occurs that the players who have an S in their first or last name have well outperformed those who don't in every possible statistical analysis so far this year. Simon, Steven, Sakho, Skrtl, Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling. Miles ahead. Pick your stat its no contest.  and that's a huge statistical sample far to big to represent coincidence, now, isn't it?

So far ahead that if you entered it into the computer as a variable, the computer would probably tell you our transfer targets would all have to have an S in their name. Course in the real world (Salah) we know it doesn't work like that (Shaqiri)....

....Whose in charge of this train, anyway? HAL? is that you? (don't touch that plug Dave).   
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2014, 04:44:48 pm »
What do you guys feel about Joe Allen as a DM? Stats wise, he measures out to look Busquets-like.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/23444/History/Joe-Allen
http://www.whoscored.com/Players/44721/History/Sergio-Busquets

They are both in the low 90% for passing over the past 3 seasons and Allen is decently close to Busquets as far as Tackles/Int per game. Wish it was better and we could easily extract Tackles/Int per 90, but it's better than nothing.

Busquets' stats look absolutely awesome when you consider that Barcelona always have the ball(67+% all of last 3 seasons), but Joe Allen is always a part of >55% possession teams as well.

As far as the eye test goes, and I think that is majorly valuable, Allen's weaknesses as a DM are sometimes positionally and sometimes physically. The positional stuff that doesn't show up in the stats(maybe SOT over a big enough sample?) somewhat lowers Allen's marks, imo. He sometimes looks to be too willing to get forward when we have the ball and he is our deepest midfielder. When I say physically, I am talking about holding up over a season as far as injuries and a league season wearing him out. I think the other part of the physicality is overrated as people get the impression that his small frame doesn't allow him to be a good DM. His quickness, energy, and nose for the ball make him a very effective DM and one that can succeed at the top levels of European football.

Colin Trainor wrote about this recently, but I think we need an all around midfielder and Steven Gerrard heir apparent more than we need a DM. I'd love one that can slot in for all of the midfield roles. Those guys are probably not going to be available for the range of money we are reportedly able to spend, so it really is a tight spot.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2014, 05:40:51 pm »
What do you guys feel about Joe Allen as a DM? Stats wise, he measures out to look Busquets-like.

They are both in the low 90% for passing over the past 3 seasons and Allen is decently close to Busquets as far as Tackles/Int per game. Wish it was better and we could easily extract Tackles/Int per 90, but it's better than nothing.

Busquets' stats look absolutely awesome when you consider that Barcelona always have the ball(67+% all of last 3 seasons), but Joe Allen is always a part of >55% possession teams as well.

As far as the eye test goes, and I think that is majorly valuable, Allen's weaknesses as a DM are sometimes positionally and sometimes physically. The positional stuff that doesn't show up in the stats(maybe SOT over a big enough sample?) somewhat lowers Allen's marks, imo. He sometimes looks to be too willing to get forward when we have the ball and he is our deepest midfielder. When I say physically, I am talking about holding up over a season as far as injuries and a league season wearing him out. I think the other part of the physicality is overrated as people get the impression that his small frame doesn't allow him to be a good DM. His quickness, energy, and nose for the ball make him a very effective DM and one that can succeed at the top levels of European football.

Colin Trainor wrote about this recently, but I think we need an all around midfielder and Steven Gerrard heir apparent more than we need a DM. I'd love one that can slot in for all of the midfield roles. Those guys are probably not going to be available for the range of money we are reportedly able to spend, so it really is a tight spot.

The thing is that we haven't often played in formations that play to Allen's strengths. When he was used in a triangle at Spurs with Lucas covering behind him and Henderson making the forward runs he was amazing in both his pressing/tackling game and his distribution of the ball in tight spaces. It was the first game where I thought "wow, £15m wasn't that bad after all, good deal".

Unfortunately he's been used in the DM position too often, and its not one that suits him as he doesn't have the defensive instincts when players run at him, but he's good at harrying opponents when we instigate the pressure on the ball carrier.

I know these aren't stats so if anyone has any Rafa-esque fachts to share please do

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2014, 06:27:50 pm »

Missed this. I adore Allen, and think he's quite passable as a traditional DM, but I don't think it's where he's best. I've written about it in his thread too, but I think Allen is a very strange player, in that he looks like and plays in the same areas as a Modric or a Wilshere, but the contributions he provides are much more like a Busquets. He's IMO one of the best midfielders on the defensive side of the game (=! best defensive midfielders, if you get what I'm saying) in the league, but is best utilized higher up the pitch. I really like the idea of Allen and a goalscoring runner ahead of a deeper lying passer long term.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2014, 06:30:38 pm »
Sorry for not updating for a while. After this round of games, our top 4 credentials are looking stronger and stronger, especially among the stats people. A couple notes of interest:

11Tegen11 has us at over 85% to make the top 4:

And so does Michael Cawley (MCofA):

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:32:55 pm by ElstonGunn »

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2014, 10:35:45 pm »
Missed this. I adore Allen, and think he's quite passable as a traditional DM, but I don't think it's where he's best. I've written about it in his thread too, but I think Allen is a very strange player, in that he looks like and plays in the same areas as a Modric or a Wilshere, but the contributions he provides are much more like a Busquets. He's IMO one of the best midfielders on the defensive side of the game (=! best defensive midfielders, if you get what I'm saying) in the league, but is best utilized higher up the pitch. I really like the idea of Allen and a goalscoring runner ahead of a deeper lying passer long term.

Thought I would put the last 2 seasons data into radar to see what it would look like.

Joe Allen certainly does look like a Busquets-lite based on that. The main difference as I see it is Busquets height makes him useful for Barca to drop in when the center backs split. However, Joe Allen is far more mobile. His low center of gravity and agility make him perfect for pressing higher up the pitch.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2014, 02:48:28 am »
Where are our goals have come from this season so far...

http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/01/attacking-styles-and-defensive-weaknesses/

Crazy how high our % of goals from outside the box is considering we've scored so many, compare that to City's and it shows you how good Suarez and Sturridge are outside the box.

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2014, 03:13:22 am »
Thought I would put the last 2 seasons data into radar to see what it would look like.

Joe Allen certainly does look like a Busquets-lite based on that. The main difference as I see it is Busquets height makes him useful for Barca to drop in when the center backs split. However, Joe Allen is far more mobile. His low center of gravity and agility make him perfect for pressing higher up the pitch.

Great, but some of your codenames are cryptic. Is "D90" the number of dives per game, or am I stereotyping Busquets?
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2014, 03:16:14 am »
Wow, is it just me or is there an avalanche of statistical data and people coming out in the past 3-6 months or so?

I did a little bit of defensive data per 90 minutes for our guys. Relied on data entry so I'm terrified I've screwed up a number. In the early stages, I'm a bit partial to the Tackles/Int/AerialDuelsWon per 90 minutes. Lucas really looks ridiculous here. The next step is to probably create an angle from this data, but haven't fully been inspired by anything yet.

It's sorted by Pass Accuracy % if you were wondering.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:17:47 am by jdpapa3 »

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2014, 03:30:08 am »
I miss Lucas now after reading that.

7.04 Tckl/IntP90!  Those were the good old days.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2014, 03:34:41 am »
Great, but some of your codenames are cryptic. Is "D90" the number of dives per game, or am I stereotyping Busquets?

Very good!  ;D

The key is in the OP here.

Wow, is it just me or is there an avalanche of statistical data and people coming out in the past 3-6 months or so?

I did a little bit of defensive data per 90 minutes for our guys. Relied on data entry so I'm terrified I've screwed up a number. In the early stages, I'm a bit partial to the Tackles/Int/AerialDuelsWon per 90 minutes. Lucas really looks ridiculous here. The next step is to probably create an angle from this data, but haven't fully been inspired by anything yet.

Some interesting things there. The first thing that struck me is how low Enrique's figures are. They look more like a wide forwards stats than a full back.

Oh and yeah, Lucas is a beast defensively. His passing stats as well as his lack of turnovers/dispossessions are also insane. I am still amazed Barcelona have never looked at him as a CB. He looks the player they always wanted Song to become, not that I ever want him to leave. He really is perfect for us in that Busquets role dropping between the split center backs when we play that system.

If you check out the OP in that thread I linked, something like my petal diagram might be good perhaps? Although I would group people by position and would use the 5 base stats rather than grouping anything together. Or you could do one of those segmented barchats that would look like this:-

My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #145 on: February 1, 2014, 05:45:39 pm »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #146 on: February 6, 2014, 02:20:57 am »
"I have compiled a statistic I refer to as TSoT%, which is the percentage of the shots on target in a match, or across a season, that a team has.

For a simple example, if a team has had sixty shots on target and allowed their opponents a total of forty, then their TSoT% is 60%."

http://basstunedtored.com/2014/02/05/liverpool-shots-on-target-and-the-top-four/

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 6, 2014, 04:21:31 am »
"I have compiled a statistic I refer to as TSoT%, which is the percentage of the shots on target in a match, or across a season, that a team has.

For a simple example, if a team has had sixty shots on target and allowed their opponents a total of forty, then their TSoT% is 60%."

http://basstunedtored.com/2014/02/05/liverpool-shots-on-target-and-the-top-four/
Very weird that Andrew's implying he's inventing a new stat. SoTR (which is what this is) is well-known, and, e.g., I think Ben Pugsley (or James Grayson?) publishes tables of it every week...Maybe he's just not aware.

Anyway, it's a good stat, and pretty to look at!

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan

Offline The Woolster

• Main Stander
« Reply #149 on: February 7, 2014, 03:35:13 pm »
I met Andrew (basstunedtored) yesterday, nice guy.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 7, 2014, 03:41:49 pm »
Definitely seems it.

I saw a picture of your presentation posted on twitter. Looked really interesting (about the various kinds of clear cut chances, yes?) Any chance you're going to publish something for the more general public on it?

Offline The Woolster

• Main Stander
« Reply #151 on: February 7, 2014, 03:53:05 pm »
Thanks!

It was a look at Game States in general, and I also looked at clear cut chances in a bit more detail than anyone has been able to do, and looked at those at different game states as well.

As long as they all agree to it, I think everyone's presentations, or a write up of their presentaion, will be put up on the Opta Pro blog

Unfortunately it was also videod, I may have to veeto that being realeased...!

If anyone is wandering what we are on about, I somehow got picked to present at this
http://www.optasportspro.com/about/optapro-blog/posts/2013/news-the-optapro-analytics-forum-presenter-line-up-announced.aspx

There was some really really clever people presenting. And me...

I was on last and it was really fucking nervewracking!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #152 on: February 7, 2014, 04:10:46 pm »
Thanks!

It was a look at Game States in general, and I also looked at clear cut chances in a bit more detail than anyone has been able to do, and looked at those at different game states as well.

As long as they all agree to it, I think everyone's presentations, or a write up of their presentaion, will be put up on the Opta Pro blog

Unfortunately it was also videod, I may have to veeto that being realeased...!

If anyone is wandering what we are on about, I somehow got picked to present at this
http://www.optasportspro.com/about/optapro-blog/posts/2013/news-the-optapro-analytics-forum-presenter-line-up-announced.aspx

There was some really really clever people presenting. And me...

I was on last and it was really fucking nervewracking!

Yours looks incredibly interesting. I hope they release that one, as I'd be interested in seeing what you came up with!
Better looking than Samie.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #153 on: February 7, 2014, 04:36:01 pm »
It's interesting how football stats are evolving like baseball stats - a ton of interesting stuff on "offense"; much less on defence
Off the ball stuff will take a long while to catch up and should mean there's still a decent amount of problems evaluating players

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: February 7, 2014, 04:45:53 pm »
It's interesting how football stats are evolving like baseball stats - a ton of interesting stuff on "offense"; much less on defence
Off the ball stuff will take a long while to catch up and should mean there's still a decent amount of problems evaluating players
The same happened in basketball. Zach Lowe had a good piece the other day about how analytics have almost "solved" NBA offense, but they're still way behind on defense.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #155 on: February 7, 2014, 04:54:24 pm »
Very weird that Andrew's implying he's inventing a new stat. SoTR (which is what this is) is well-known, and, e.g., I think Ben Pugsley (or James Grayson?) publishes tables of it every week...Maybe he's just not aware.

Anyway, it's a good stat, and pretty to look at!

Hi mate - when I first wrote a piece on it (which was about a year ago) I hadn't seen anyone else looking at that particular stat. I'm sure they probably were, and as you say, they certainly are now.

Also - cheers for posting the link, Das Liverpool.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #156 on: February 7, 2014, 04:54:46 pm »
The thing about stats is that once certain successful patterns get identified, they become rote patterns in the game (which is what happened with the long ball game in the 70's and 80's). Because they are common identified patterns of play, they have some success, which means the "thought" gets taken out of that part of the game. Then the game becomes more stifled and "boring". Then along comes someone or a team or a group of coaches with a different slant - a solution to the rigid patterns - and the game changes again, and the stats become reasonably redundant, and a new set of statistical benchmarks become sought-after. It's a really interesting dialectic
Better looking than Samie.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #157 on: February 7, 2014, 04:56:12 pm »

Cheers mate - considering I was drunk by the time I spoke to you, I'll consider that a result!

Was good to meet you, and loads of people there too.

To people wondering about The Woolster's presentation, I can confirm it was really interesting, as were they all.

Offline The Woolster

• Main Stander
« Reply #158 on: February 7, 2014, 05:10:19 pm »
Yours looks incredibly interesting. I hope they release that one, as I'd be interested in seeing what you came up with!

Don't be fooled by the title...

As it was basically a competition to get picked, I went with a title which sounded like I would solve something that doesn't have a metric to measure it, which I don't think I really did, I just proposed some indicators.

Acutally, I think I probably do have something that measures how much teams leave themselves open when a goal behind, but not quite whether the shell or not when a goal up.

Offline The Woolster

• Main Stander
« Reply #159 on: February 7, 2014, 05:15:33 pm »
I did get a nice little dig in

"This graph... which shows the 6 big clubs... and Everton"

:D