Author Topic: True Detective - HBO Drama  (Read 158200 times)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Re: True Detective - HBO Drama with Woody Harrelson and McConaughey (2014)
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 07:59:47 pm »
Is this a true 59 minute or are there ads in it?

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 08:24:25 pm »
Is this a true 59 minute or are there ads in it?

True 59. It's HBO, so no ads.
Justice For The 96

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:17 pm »
True 59. It's HBO, so no ads.

Excellent - cheers.  Looking forward to starting this later on then.

(Not that the duration made any particularly difference either way...I was merely curious to know prior to viewing!)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 01:59:12 pm »
Fucking brilliant that was. The atmosphere, the storytelling and the two lead actors make it really good and worth watching I'm sure.

I'm sure there will some precious twat along to say the lighting at 26:14 ruined the entire thing for them, but I thought it was brilliant.

;D ;D ;D
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 02:58:48 pm »
McConaughey and his character has me interested in this, great first episode.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2014, 03:23:21 pm »
It's particularly enjoyable for me to be able to watching something that's on right now and not live in total fear of encountering spoilers.

Great opening episode - this looks hugely promising.  Can't wait for more.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 04:37:10 pm »
McConaughey is rapidly becoming my favourite screen actor....

very promising opener......
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 05:04:43 pm »
Watched ep1 last night and thought it was excellent. The 2 leads are great, it's well written and looks fantastic. Music was great too.
Great to have some quality TV back for Monday nights.

Offline Cattive Maniere

• Legacy Fan
  • Mentalita Ultras
    • bettingtips365
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 09:02:17 pm »
great opener

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2014, 09:42:02 pm »
I thought the first episode was excellent
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2014, 10:11:19 pm »
Looks like I was the only one who didn't rate the premier.
Justice For The 96

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2014, 11:40:31 pm »
Loved it, and the music is right up my street

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2014, 12:34:00 am »

Agree on both parts

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2014, 01:04:44 am »

Hes excellent isnt he? Whatever has gotten in to him I cant figure it out. From being in romcom after romcom and badly cast in most of his parts, to being one of my favorite actors. I just wish this turnaround happened sooner.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2014, 01:11:41 am »
I think married life suits him. I also read an interview in which he said he either decided or his agent recommended he go for roles he can be passionate about, rather than chasing $$.

In fact here it is: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dallas-buyers-club-matthew-mcconaughey-625407?mobile_redirect=false
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:16:20 am by Infernal King Brian Blessed »
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2014, 03:40:17 am »
I thought it was absolutely fantastic, the dialogue in particular was brilliant.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2014, 09:13:30 am »
I think married life suits him. I also read an interview in which he said he either decided or his agent recommended he go for roles he can be passionate about, rather than chasing $$.
Yeah, he's great and all but whats his excuse for appearing in that awful Dolce and Gabbana perfume ad ;D (besides working with Scarlett ::))

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2014, 02:38:07 pm »
Looks like I was the only one who didn't rate the premier.

Go on, why didn't you rate it? I thought it did a good job setting out the atmosphere and the characters. I'm not sure about the timeline jumps but I've always found it a bit annoying.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2014, 06:03:16 pm »
I enjoyed this a lot, I'm very intrigued as to how the story will pan out. The 2 leads were brilliant. Great to have a new show to check out, hopefully the standard stays high.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2014, 06:55:45 pm »
Go on, why didn't you rate it? I thought it did a good job setting out the atmosphere and the characters. I'm not sure about the timeline jumps but I've always found it a bit annoying.

For one, the complete absence of a female character worth mentioning was pretty annoying. The only females we met were either dead, hookers, or there to bang Harrelson. I also thought it was so infatuated with the fact it had cast two big-time actors (who, to be fair, were both excellent) that it just rested on those laurels and offered up a supporting cast that was little more than clichés or set dressing. It obviously has a huge budget, so I thought it should have offered a lot more. Compared to other recent offerings on American television like The Americans or The Bridge, it fell flat. Those shows offered worlds of complex, diverse characters and moral ambiguity; this seemed to offer one interesting character (McConaughey), a serial killer I guess, and dudes being dudes. For me, it just seemed to flirt with the idea of being interesting without actually being interesting.
Justice For The 96

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2014, 07:01:56 pm »
For one, the complete absence of a female character worth mentioning was pretty annoying. The only females we met were either dead, hookers, or there to bang Harrelson. I also thought it was so infatuated with the fact it had cast two big-time actors (who, to be fair, were both excellent) that it just rested on those laurels and offered up a supporting cast that was little more than clichés or set dressing. It obviously has a huge budget, so I thought it should have offered a lot more. Compared to other recent offerings on American television like The Americans or The Bridge, it fell flat. Those shows offered worlds of complex, diverse characters and moral ambiguity; this seemed to offer one interesting character (McConaughey), a serial killer I guess, and dudes being dudes. For me, it just seemed to flirt with the idea of being interesting without actually being interesting.

Jesus christ.

Its a tv show.

Listen to yourself, you'd think its a peer reviewed paper.

Absence of a female character. Ok.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2014, 07:09:05 pm »

what a load of arle shite  ;D
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2014, 07:11:53 pm »
Good start, admittedly a bit slow at times but think it was necessary to set it up for future episodes. Looking forward to the one.
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2014, 10:32:55 pm »
Jesus christ.

Its a tv show.

Listen to yourself, you'd think its a peer reviewed paper.

Absence of a female character. Ok.

Yeah, it's a tv show and, as such, I've compared it to other contemporary offerings which I thought offered a lot more. I'm not saying it should transform the way we look at the world, but I had high expectations for it and, while it's admittedly early, I found it disappointing. I didn't mean to get on a high horse, but another poster asked me what my issues were with the show so I presented them. Naught wrong with that if you ask me.

You don't have to take issue with the lack of female characters, but it stood out to me. As I said previously in the thread, I'll keep watching and see if it grows on me, but I found the first installment to be decent at best. HBO has a track record of producing some of the best programs in the history of the medium, so when it puts its impressive resources behind something it gets measured accordingly.
Justice For The 96

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2014, 10:41:25 pm »

Good enough, I think that's a fair observation of the first episode. The lack of female characters is something I noticed as well but thought maybe there will be more layers to the show once it gets going.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:44:39 pm by thegoodfella »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2014, 10:46:34 pm »
Good enough, I think that's a fair observation of the first episode. The lack of female characters is something I noticed as well but thought maybe there will be more layers to the show once it gets going.

Yeah, that's entirely possible. I'm well aware that I'm judging the thing after all of 59 minutes of run time.
Justice For The 96

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2014, 11:50:11 pm »
It was a prologue of sorts. Sets the tone based on the killer and the two detectives. No need to panic about the lack of women because anyone who wasn't the killer and the two detectives wasn't really important.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2014, 01:25:23 pm »
it was good, but the choice of lighting at 26:14 really ruined the entire thing for me.

in reality, it was a solid start in the vein of spooky small town detective stories that seem to be very fashionable at the moment.  the timeline stuff was interesting, although the conceit of the present day versions being told "tell us the whole story, in strict chronological order, and don't spoiler anything FFS!" makes for some unrealistic dialogue, but not enough to throw me out of the show.

it set up the characters and a whole host of questions that need answering, which is basically the job of a first episode.  the lack of female characters doesn't bother me too much, as the show is unashamedly about two male characters, and the first episode has to focus on setting them up.

i like the way that every shot in the car is from mcconaughey's perspective.  it's a little unsettling for some reason, as it's the opposite of what normally happens.

Spoiler
is hart having an affair?  it's the obvious suspicion with that woman with the depositions and their weird "hello, are those the... yes, let's find a room to discuss them..." interaction, but i'm sure there's more to it.
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2014, 12:56:10 am »
Great show this, got a build up and delivered

Like Harrelson as he normally is, and McCoaughey looks very good

As to whether it can keep the edginess and not fall into a by the numbers cop show, I certainly hope not
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Babel Time

• "Gezza job!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2014, 10:17:42 am »
REAL POH-LEASS!!
Babel Time (n) Difference in time between supporters calling for player to come from the bench in a bid to change the game, and the time it takes the supporters to round on said substitute after he's come on and proved ineffectual. ...

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2014, 11:10:47 pm »
Yeah, that's entirely possible. I'm well aware that I'm judging the thing after all of 59 minutes of run time.
surely the lack of female characters will have something to do with the fact this is in a small christian town in 1995? So when it comes to police work etc I cant imagine there to be to many around?

I thought it was great.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2014, 01:43:07 am »
Michelle Monaghan plays Hart's wife, unless I was dreaming.

Is she not a female character? Right away she's seen to have more empathy for Cohle, learning about his daughter before Hart. 
She's obviously gonna have some depth as a character and feature prominently.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2014, 03:07:24 am »
Looking forward to this - swerve this thread for a few hours on Monday and then good to go in the evening ;D

Spoiler
All set for some "real questions"  8)
[close]

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2014, 11:59:53 am »
Seen the first ep and it was superb. McConaughey continues his renaissance.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2014, 11:58:41 pm »
Just watched the second episode, it's a slow burner but really gripping at the same time, McConaughey is stealing the show so far.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2014, 12:04:40 am »
Really liked the first episode, could be such a good show. Is the second one out now then?

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2014, 12:18:38 am »
Just watched the second episode, it's a slow burner but really gripping at the same time, McConaughey is stealing the show so far.

Thats the only problem for me so far, bit of a slow burner. They made progress this week but fuck all of note really. Nothing shocking like.

But I still cant wait for next weeks episode, Strange really  ???

“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2014, 12:18:59 am »
Really liked the first episode, could be such a good show. Is the second one out now then?

Yes mate the second is available in all the usual places.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2014, 12:19:15 am »

Yeah it airs on Sunday night in America so it should be floating around on torrent sites come Monday morning each week.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2014, 12:31:15 am »
Thats the only problem for me so far, bit of a slow burner. They made progress this week but fuck all of note really. Nothing shocking like.

But I still cant wait for next weeks episode, Strange really  ???

Spoiler
I'm watching a few shows that move a bit quicker so a slow burner is no biggie. It's definitely strangely gripping, nothing of note going on at times yet I'm hooked, and the visions/hallucinations are interesting. The scene with the flock of birds was oddly intense.
[close]