Author Topic: Southampton  (Read 63675 times)

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
Re: Southampton
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 09:37:55 pm »
Will they be getting a cut of the Bale money?

No, they sold that clause back to Spurs when they were struggling.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Ryba

• A self-confessed "bit of a twat", who thinks Everton will win the league 2010-11, is either very deluded or reckons Everton will be demoted to The Championship ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • bluenose
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 09:57:23 pm »
There you go. Good job.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2013, 10:32:17 pm »
No, they sold that clause back to Spurs when they were struggling.
What? Jesus, how much did they get?

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 10:34:54 pm »
About 2m for 25% stake

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 10:48:43 pm »
About 2m for 25% stake
  :lmao
Somebody should be shot for that!

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2013, 10:49:37 pm »
Looked good when he was struggling on the bench

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2013, 10:53:52 pm »
Looked good when he was struggling on the bench

Aye and when they were struggling to pay wages.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 03:32:34 am »
  :lmao
Somebody should be shot for that!

I think they had to do the same with Walcott. They were in financial shambles and needed quick cash.

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 10:33:22 am »
A post that begins with "I don't know if the owners have put in that much money..." needs to be dissected point by point? He's said he doesn't know, then gone a posted a bunch of guess work.

you should read that as "I wouldn't be so sure about that" rather than I don't know at all. Not everyone is as rude or as strident as you.

Southampton were heavily in debt when Liebherr bought them, roughly 20 million or so. That was cleared as part of the purchase. They immediately went out and paid 3m for players whilst in League One. That got them promoted to the Championship. They spent 5m in that season.

but they sold players for far more than that. The major impact of Liebherr was to replace the bank debts with an owners loan, which was then turned into equity. and stand over the losses in the season they were promoted. this is money that they will get back when the trust eventually sells the club. 

Since promotion to the Premier League they've spent around 50m on players, and their turnover until June 2012 was 21m. Even accounting for the Premier League revenue boost, that's a substantial investment. Norwich have spent a little over half that.

their turnover in 2012 has nothing to do with it. Last season Southampton will have earned in the region of £70-80 million quid. This season that will jump to at least £100 million. as long as Southampton kept moderate control over their wages they should be well able to afford net spending of about £30 million a year. The New Tv contract means that clubs like southampton are now quite rich. The last available financial results for Southampton are for the first six months of last season, and they showed that they had trebled their turnover, and posted a small profit. This is consistent with them being able to just about afford the players that they signed last season. 

And it is true that norwich have spent a lot less than southampton, but they have a) cleared their bank debt b) cleared the debt owed to their owners c) invested in facilities. Southampton haven't had to do any of that. The thing is that there are now a bunch of moderately sized clubs in the premiership who can spend a lot of money on players if they choose to.

Now obviously there is a logic behind spending silly money to stay in the Premier League because if it pays off the return can be significant. However only someone who has no clue about the way the club is run, and more importantly where the club was when Liebherr bought them, would make a dismissive, uneducated statement along the lines of "it's like Norwich". That isn't the case, because Liebherr's trust hasn't come anywhere near recovering their investment into the club, and there has been no suggestion that relegation/parachute payments are an option for them.

But Liebherr's trust have made a massive financial gain in the value of the club. They have effectively bought a midtable premiership club, with a decent modern stadium, for an outlay of about £25 million quid. Fulham were just sold for in the region of £200 million. southampton may not be in central london, but they've still increased massively in value.

There is also no point in spending silly money to stay in the premiership, because it means that there is no financial advantage to being in the premiership, and you disappear in a  ball of smoke and flames like QPR. The championship and league one are littered with teams who spent silly money in the premiership and got into severe financial difficulty when they were eventually relegated. some like Norwich, southampton, leeds, wolves, forest and charlton have gone into league one, and there's no compelling reason why blackburn won't follow them. 

Now since you like defending RedHopper so much, maybe you should go through his post history and see why his posts are to be treated with disdain.

you should consider being less rude. You may not agree with what I say, but you could be a little bit more polite about it.

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2013, 10:35:29 am »
Southampton look to have a good future, with a great mix of young talent, experienced heads and a great transfer market so far. Also you can always expect the academy to pull out another Bale, Walcott. etc every couple of years.

A real hipster team.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2013, 05:44:48 pm »
Southampton look to have a good future, with a great mix of young talent, experienced heads and a great transfer market so far. Also you can always expect the academy to pull out another Bale, Walcott. etc every couple of years.

A real hipster team.

Luke Shaw might be the next one, although maybe not as good as Bale/Walcott.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 06:27:32 pm »
Luke Shaw might be the next one, although maybe not as good as Bale/Walcott.
A monster on FM though.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2013, 04:26:49 am »
A monster on FM though.

The worst thing about the OH I BET HE'S GOOD ON FOOTBALL MANAGER responses in the transfer forum is that most of the time FM is bang on.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2013, 04:38:56 am »
The worst thing about the OH I BET HE'S GOOD ON FOOTBALL MANAGER responses in the transfer forum is that most of the time FM is bang on.

That right there is a fallacy. There are countless examples but most of FM scouting is based a lot on hype just ask Maurice Edu

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 04:47:49 am »
That right there is a fallacy. There are countless examples but most of FM scouting is based a lot on hype just ask Maurice Edu

"Most of the time" =/= "All of the time"

Maxim Tsigalko 4 life

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 04:50:08 am »
"Most of the time" =/= "All of the time"

Maxim Tsigalko 4 life

Yes but in FM pretty much every half decent talent turns out to be a world beater if given regular play time

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 04:58:05 am »

You mean Freddy Adu?
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2013, 05:05:04 am »
You mean Freddy Adu?

yes that is the one.

Online GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #58 on: September 3, 2013, 07:36:00 pm »
did they sign Jack Sparrow?

01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #59 on: September 3, 2013, 09:45:01 pm »
Osvaldo is a good signing, and one I think will suit the PL. They've made some shrewd signings this summer. Lovren and Wanyama are also good acquisitions. Ward-Prowse and Shaw look like future stars too.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2014, 12:17:00 am »
Just wondering if anyone else has a soft spot for this lot like I have.

Gorgeous kit, too.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2014, 12:23:15 am »

Gorgeous kit, too.
Came in to move the debate into an appropriate thread, beaten to it. Me too. Good club, good fans and they bring through a lot of talented young players. I'd genuinely take Lovren, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Lallana and Rodriguez here at Liverpool. Possibly Wanyama and Clyne too. I'm not saying I'd want them all in the starting XI, but there's a lot of talent there and they've rebuilt superbly.

The summer will be interesting. They spent big last year and it's gone relatively well. However, the Cortese affair left a bitter taste in the mouth and it's heavily rumoured that certain key players want to move on now that the man who made the promises is gone. Pochettino too, may take some convincing. They could have a torrid few windows ahead of them in terms of losing key players. Should get good fees for a lot of them though.

Laughing at my prediction further up that Osvaldo would be quality in the Premier League. I still don't think it's that bad a shout as he's a good player. Clearly a bit of a nutter though given the battering he handed out to Jose Fonte.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline BigMarcs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2014, 12:28:55 am »
A big summer lies ahead for them. Clubs are no doubt going to come in for their homegrown players (and I think at least one will leave), but if they somehow manage to hold on to all of them and replicate their brilliant transfer work in the past summer, then theres no reason why they cant make it to the next level and challenge the top 6. Their style of play is as good as any other team in the league. The way they dismantled Newcastle was awesome.

Offline LFC_Verve

• Kopite
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2014, 12:32:40 am »
I also have a liking for them. Hope they continue to build in the summer and don't sell any of their assets (unless it's to us!) - ideally Pochettino will stay too.

Good to see a predominantly English side doing well.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2014, 12:36:41 am »
A big summer lies ahead for them. Clubs are no doubt going to come in for their homegrown players (and I think at least one will leave), but if they somehow manage to hold on to all of them and replicate their brilliant transfer work in the past summer, then theres no reason why they cant make it to the next level and challenge the top 6. Their style of play is as good as any other team in the league. The way they dismantled Newcastle was awesome.

A lot of people have compared them to Swansea when they came up but I think they're a lot better. If they can try to keep things sensible in the summer (and there's going to be a fair few clubs chucking money at them) then I think they can make a real go of things next year. Love their football, love their awesome English players, love them in general. They're boss and I wish nothing but the best for them... except when they play us.

The reality is they'll lose Shaw and Lallana at the very least, quite possibly Rodriguez as well. I'm sure there'll be takers for the likes of Schneiderlin as well. And even if we're one of the clubs taking advantage of that, I'll feel a bit bad to be honest.

Offline jay.taller.than.spearing

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2014, 12:39:08 am »

Gorgeous kit, too.

Ever since Matt Le'Tissier and his absurd goals I have liked them . Play some nice football these days . Good to see.
JFT96. YNWA .

Offline BigMarcs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2014, 12:41:33 am »
A lot of people have compared them to Swansea when they came up but I think they're a lot better. If they can try to keep things sensible in the summer (and there's going to be a fair few clubs chucking money at them) then I think they can make a real go of things next year. Love their football, love their awesome English players, love them in general. They're boss and I wish nothing but the best for them... except when they play us.

The reality is they'll lose Shaw and Lallana at the very least, quite possibly Rodriguez as well. I'm sure there'll be takers for the likes of Schneiderlin as well. And even if we're one of the clubs taking advantage of that, I'll feel a bit bad to be honest.

I reckon Shaw's a definite to leave unfortunately. Man United look like they're going to push really hard to sign him, and they'll eventually get him even if they have to pay over the odds.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2014, 12:42:02 am »

Gorgeous kit, too.
I do and it would be a damn shame if they end up losing a bunch of their players. Would be great if they could hang on to them and go up the table. They are an 'unfashionable' club which makes it all the better if they could continue growing plus they play some nice football. Unfortunately, it seems that they will lose players in the summer and won't be able to continue their upwards trajectory.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2014, 12:45:55 am »
And even if we're one of the clubs taking advantage of that, I'll feel a bit bad to be honest.

I'd feel a lot worse if Chelsea or either of the Mancs takes Shaw or Lallana off them. At least we'd offer the players some sort of future, not just picking up splinters on the bench or playing some atrocious brand of football.

Be disappointed if their fax number isn't on our speed dial...

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2014, 02:39:36 am »

I agree with all this.

Southampton have one of the smallest wage budgets in the league (assuming that 2012/13 figures haven't risen substantially), so I think it could be a case of players wanting to leave for bigger money rather than the club wanting to sell. Lallana for example is already 26, and this summer could be his best chance to get a big pay day with a bigger club. Shaw probably doesn't need to be in a rush to leave though given that he's only 18. Similar for Rodriguez.

As you say it would be abit sad to see such a youthful and attacking team taken apart in the summer, even if it was to us, but if they do manage to hold onto most of their players and add a couple of good players in the summer I think they could be next seasons Everton, fighting for 5th/6th. Many predicted that for Swansea this season though and we know how that turned out. I think this current team is better than Swansea of last year though in any case.

I'd love it if they could draw or beat City next weekend. They were the better team in the reverse fixture and were unlucky not to win with all their chances, so one can hope! I think they stand as good a chance of winning at the Etihad as any other team that has gone there this season.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2014, 05:49:53 am »
A lot of people have compared them to Swansea when they came up but I think they're a lot better.

The big difference between them and Swansea is that most of their better players are 25 and under (or were when they came up), so they're going to be appealing for anyone who wants to chuck money about. It happened at Swansea too, albeit less noticeably. Caulker, Sigurdsson, Sinclair and Allen were all fairly young and left. Taylor would have too within the last year had he not good injured IMO. The difference with Swansea was that two of those lads were on loan and another was in the final months of a contract. Southampton have got all their own players, they're all tied down long-term deals as far as I know, and there's a lot more of them. Lallana's the only one who is over 25, but he's a fucking diamond and still improving. Fact is a load of clubs will want him and Shaw, but also Ward-Prowse, Rodriguez, Schneiderlin, Lovren, Clyne and Chambers in the next couple of season. People get pissy when you mention how many good players they have ,"why aren't they doing better then!?", but most of their players aren't ones teams will want to sign go immediately into their first XI. They're players you want in your match day squad, who will get better, and probably go on to be top 4 level players.

Watched them again today, and I like the fact that they ask their lesser players to play like they're at a big club, even if their lack of quality will stand out at times and put a natural ceiling in place for what they could achieve. Fonte yesterday had no fear being left 1-vs-1, a he hasn't all season. Against Suarez and Sturridge (especially with Lovren looking shaky since coming back from injury) he got murdered. Against De Jong and Cisse? No worries. Southampton were better for it. Same thing with Jack Cork and Rickie Lambert. They've got a limit to their ability. It's not top 4 level stuff. Doesn't stop them being asked to play like they're at that level of club though. Think that's why they - like Swansea were - are such an interesting team to watch.

Lallana is boss by the way. People will fucking whine like tiresome twats about how he's not worth X because "Ingerlish, overpriced", but he does a fucking load of the things you take for granted from a top player. He may be the most two-footed player in the league at the moment. Maybe not in terms of striking the ball - although it was a fucking belter today - but the way he carries the ball on either foot and can switch his balance between the two. Defenders don't know which way he's going. He's going to end up with double figures in goals and assists, he plays fucking everywhere along the front line, and I think he is (or was) 2nd only to Oscar in final third regains. Honestly, if Shinji Kagawa had been showing the form he has people would be going fucking spare over it. He's a Dortmund player.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2014, 07:56:40 am »

Gorgeous kit, too.

My brother he supports them.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2014, 08:37:29 am »
Got no idea why I have a soft spot for them, maybe it's the kit. Or that their fans seem alright. Hope they become a regular PL team like Swansea have become. I see them as a traditional PL team like Leeds, Bolton etc.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2014, 08:43:53 am »
I like them myself to be honest, decent team to watch!

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2014, 08:49:23 am »
I don't like them. Simply because matt Le tissier was and still Is a bellwhiff.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2014, 09:49:38 am »
Ever since Matt Le'Tissier and his absurd goals I have liked them . Play some nice football these days . Good to see.

That shithouse and his unabashed Sky taught hatred for Liverpool is the reason I really didn't like them until recently, and to be honest still find it a little funny seeing his sad crooked face when they lose. But then lets not forget this c*nt also went crazy when they got rid of Adkins and bought in Pochetinno.

Shaw, Lovren, Clyne, Chambers, Ward-Prowse, Schneiderlin, Lallana and Rodriguez are all good young players but I can't help but feel there would be much better value abroad.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2014, 09:52:17 am »
Matt Le Tissier is an absolute c*nt of a human being,but what a fucking player he was,nobody can deny that he was probably one of the most gifted players this country has ever produced.

really cant understand his hatred of Liverpool though,does anybody know the reason ?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2014, 10:09:04 am »
I reckon Shaw's a definite to leave unfortunately. Man United look like they're going to push really hard to sign him, and they'll eventually get him even if they have to pay over the odds.

If Utd make a move, so will Chelsea. And with them being in the CL and Shaw himself being a Chelsea fan, I only see one winner in that one.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2014, 10:10:41 am »
Le Tissier has actually been quite complimentary about us recently.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2014, 10:31:26 am »
Shaw and Lallana are real top level players and should be gracing the starting 11 for many champions league sides.