Author Topic: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU  (Read 329404 times)

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Superman/Batman film coming 2015
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2013, 04:54:47 pm »
They're going to be teaming up, not fighting. If it's a success then the fight will be in the second film.

According to Goyer they're considering Batman vs Superman (or Superman vs Batman) as the title.

I think the storyline writes itself. Bruce comes to Metropolis to investigate Superman, who he doesn't trust. He'll probably have done plenty of studying in advance, maybe found some kryptonite. He'll confront Superman, they'll brawl. Ends in a stalemate. Then they put their differences aside to take on whoever the villain is - probably Lex Luthor.

Question - would anyone have a Batman villain involved? Maybe not one of the iconic members of the rogues gallery - Joker, Riddler, Catwoman etc. How about Deathstroke?

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2013, 04:57:06 pm »
Ding Ding Ding, that's the sound of an argument being lost.

Captain America and Thor were good fun and the only weak Iron Man is the second one. None of them have been as dull of Green Lantern or as crashingly boring as the last act of Man of Steel.

Iron Man was good
Hulk was shit.
Captain America was the worst of all of them.
Thor was decent.
Iron Man 2 was fucking awful.
Iron Man 3 was fucking awful.
Avengers was ok once they stopped being idiots and just fought bad guys.

And I'm not sure what the argument being lost even is. That DC makes good movies and Marvel doesn't? I'm definitely not saying that. I have no horse in this race, I just think acting like DC have fucked the dog on this is unfair. They made critically acclaimed box office successes in a style that doesn't allow a team up movie. A team up movie that nobody would have greenlit when Begins was being put together.

To be honest, neither company have done as good as job as they could have. With DC they have two top name stars and a bunch of dreck nobody gives a fuck about. With Marvel, they have a sound financial plan which is basically "Robert Downey Jr and some guys", and the "some guys" are basically just there to set up the next "Robert Downey Jr and some guys" movie.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2013, 05:47:58 pm »
Iron Man was good
Hulk was shit.
Captain America was the worst of all of them.
Thor was decent.
Iron Man 2 was fucking awful.
Iron Man 3 was fucking awful.
Avengers was ok once they stopped being idiots and just fought bad guys.

Says a lot about you that you keep watching these movies if you hate them all that much!
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2013, 06:11:35 pm »
Says a lot about you that you keep watching these movies if you hate them all that much!

Yes because without seeing them I'm able to judge their quality. That would make me as stupid as the people in here shitting on this new Superman/Batman gimmick before it happens wouldn't it?
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2013, 07:06:02 pm »
Disagree massively with you SA.

Iron Man was great
Hulk was decent, especially after the abomination from Ang Lee.
Captain America was a bit dull, but watchable.
Thor was decent.
Iron Man 2 was disappointing.
Iron Man 3 was fucking brilliant.
Avengers was arguably the best comic film ive ever seen.

As for neither have done as good a job as they shouldve, well, Marvel have consistently smashed it out of the park both in terms of setting up a fully coherent universe thats both fun, and interesting. And DC created the best superhero trilogy of all time, completely reinventing a thought dead franchise. Green Lantern sucked balls, so did the first Hulk film, but other than that both studios have done incredibly well, especially Marvel. 
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2013, 08:14:23 pm »
Disagree massively with you SA.

Iron Man was great
Hulk was decent, especially after the abomination from Ang Lee.
Captain America was a bit dull, but watchable.
Thor was decent.
Iron Man 2 was disappointing.
Iron Man 3 was fucking brilliant.
Avengers was arguably the best comic film ive ever seen.

As for neither have done as good a job as they shouldve, well, Marvel have consistently smashed it out of the park both in terms of setting up a fully coherent universe thats both fun, and interesting. And DC created the best superhero trilogy of all time, completely reinventing a thought dead franchise. Green Lantern sucked balls, so did the first Hulk film, but other than that both studios have done incredibly well, especially Marvel.

Fair point, I guess the real test will be how Thor 2 etc do.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2013, 03:40:26 am »
A rematch? It's more likely they would fight and then team up than the other way around. Besides...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2spdUrYi6-c#at=121" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2spdUrYi6-c#at=121</a>

Makes it pretty clear which way this is going.
Balls nasty
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2013, 09:47:23 am »
I am a massive Batman fan (Comics, Films, Cartoons, Games you name it). I also enjoy Superman (well Smallville mainly but that got me interested in the Superman mythology). But I am very nervous about putting these two together so early on. MoS did a good enough job for me to have its own stand alone sequel thus allowing even more dust to settle from Nolan era Batman then to introduce him again closer to 2018.

It seems WB are in panic mode due to the Avengers successs and the brilliant way the Marvel Universe has been constructed and panned out and in retaliation WB have just thought 'we've got the two biggest superheroes right? Well lets put them together and it can't fail. It hasn't seemed well thought out. I hope I'm wrong though

For the record regarding the Marvel films I think (and I haven't read any comics so my opinions are based entirely on the films

Iron Man- Good film but I can't fucking stand the Iron Man character I find him as likeable as a bout of Anthrax so it goes against me
Hulk- Not a fan at all better than the Ang Lee one but still average at the very best
Thor- I liked it and am looking forward to the sequel
Captain America- I really enjoyed this film and it's my favourite of phase one (no seriously)
Iron Man Sequels- Not a patch on the first and I still hate the character
Avengers- Great film, It worked really well 

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2013, 10:53:20 am »
Ding Ding Ding, that's the sound of an argument being lost.

Captain America and Thor were good fun and the only weak Iron Man is the second one. None of them have been as dull of Green Lantern or as crashingly boring as the last act of Man of Steel.

I don't honestly see the problem a lot of people have with Captain America - I love it.  Perhaps it's the period setting people don't like?  Thor is a lot of fun, and you're right, Iron Man II is the biggest mis-step since this wave of movies since Iron Man.

What Marvel have in their films is charisma and humour.

Thing is, I'm not a comic afficionado, so I don't give a hoot over who published what - because there is a lot of DC vs Marvel nonsense.  A movie I enjoy is a movie I enjoy. 

So far, I don't think a Batman film has topped the original Tim Burton film.
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2013, 01:28:20 pm »
Yes because without seeing them I'm able to judge their quality. That would make me as stupid as the people in here shitting on this new Superman/Batman gimmick before it happens wouldn't it?

Why do you need to "judge their quality"?

If you know for a fact you aren't going to enjoy the movie - don't go to see it. It's very easy.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:33:12 pm by Nessy76 »
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2013, 01:32:45 pm »
I don't honestly see the problem a lot of people have with Captain America - I love it.  Perhaps it's the period setting people don't like?  Thor is a lot of fun, and you're right, Iron Man II is the biggest mis-step since this wave of movies since Iron Man.

What Marvel have in their films is charisma and humour.

Thing is, I'm not a comic afficionado, so I don't give a hoot over who published what - because there is a lot of DC vs Marvel nonsense.  A movie I enjoy is a movie I enjoy. 

So far, I don't think a Batman film has topped the original Tim Burton film.

Definitely don't agree on the Burton thing (& it wasn't "the original" in any sense, but let's not split hairs), but you're right about who published what, it doesn't matter at all at the end of the day. The interesting thing is that DC are now owned by Warners and Marvel by Disney, so it's not about two comics publishers, it's two of the biggest heavyweights in Hollywood going head to head.

Now what would be really interesting is if Warners went to Fox and did a deal for, say Batman v Wolverine, now that would upset the fanboys!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:34:19 pm by Nessy76 »
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2013, 01:53:43 pm »
If we're doint the ranking the Marvel films thing...

The Incredible Hulk - A fairly bland and predictable movie.  There's a reason it's on every Saturday teatime on ITV.

Iron Man - Pretty great.  I'm not a huge Iron Man fan and Downey's Stark is nothing like the comic character (well, maybe the Ultimates version) but it definitely all works a stand alone movie.

Iron Man 2 - More of the same which is both good and bad.  I liked the Avengers set up stuff and would have rather seen more of that Iron Man fighting drones.

Thor - Surprisingly good.  Loki was the highlight of this and all the Asgard stuff ruled.  Kinda suffered in the same way Green Lantern did by having too much Earth stuff.

Captain America: The First Avenger - Really good but the finale was kinda rushed in order to get him into the modern day.  That should have been a massive deal but he just woke up and was there : /

The Avengers - Awesome.  Hulk comes out of this smelling of a million roses as does Loki.  Cap was kinda mishandled and it did turn into Iron Man & Friends in places but whatevs.

Iron Man 3 - Easily the best Iron Man film.  LOVED what they did with the Mandarin.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2013, 02:09:49 pm »
If we're doint the ranking the Marvel films thing...

The Incredible Hulk - A fairly bland and predictable movie.  There's a reason it's on every Saturday teatime on ITV.

Iron Man - Pretty great.  I'm not a huge Iron Man fan and Downey's Stark is nothing like the comic character (well, maybe the Ultimates version) but it definitely all works a stand alone movie.

Iron Man 2 - More of the same which is both good and bad.  I liked the Avengers set up stuff and would have rather seen more of that Iron Man fighting drones.

Thor - Surprisingly good.  Loki was the highlight of this and all the Asgard stuff ruled.  Kinda suffered in the same way Green Lantern did by having too much Earth stuff.

Captain America: The First Avenger - Really good but the finale was kinda rushed in order to get him into the modern day.  That should have been a massive deal but he just woke up and was there : /

The Avengers - Awesome.  Hulk comes out of this smelling of a million roses as does Loki.  Cap was kinda mishandled and it did turn into Iron Man & Friends in places but whatevs.

Iron Man 3 - Easily the best Iron Man film.  LOVED what they did with the Mandarin.

Hard to disagree with any of that. Thor was the one I was most worried about - the concept is pretty silly, combining Norse Mythology with 60s pulp sci-fi and superheroes, but they really got the tone right. Ken Branagh was an inspired choice and the whole thing actually holds together pretty well. Biggest gripe for me was that they didn't get Brian Blessed as Odin, which would have been glorious. They've got to do it all again for the sequel now, though, and it still looks the most likely to crash and burn.

Captain America was good old fashioned fun, shades of The Rocketeer or the old black and white movie serials, which sat nicely with the time period. The ending sets up some nice "fish out of water/man out of time" stuff for the sequel, but I think the main reason they put that there rather than in a second film was to get him ready for the Avengers. Strictly following the comics, he could have turned up frozen in Avengers, but there was already plenty going on in that movie.

Iron Man 2 I enjoyed, but it didn't hit the heights of the first one. The Rhodey relationship didn't really come off here either, but in Iron Man 3 that played centre stage, Lethal Weapon with super-powers. Cool. And Martin Skrtel.

The Avengers was just a rollercoaster movie. Highs and lows, massive, massive scenes (got to love the guy who comments here that it "looked like a TV show" - need to find out what TV shows he's seeing, because there's never been anything remotely like this on TV anywhere on this planet) Hulk - finally - done right and some wonderful interplay between characters. Downey Jr certainly carried the thing, as the biggest name in the movie, but he's such a generous performer, not afraid to share screen time with people, and he just riffs of stuff, so the scenes with him and Cap or him and Bruce really came to life.

Only downside is that it's still really expensive on blu-ray (esp the 3d version) what's that about?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2013, 04:45:44 pm »
To be honest I don't see that the Avengers has a massive bearing has on this idea. If it has any the only thing it has done is serve to give whoever pitched this idea the back up to say this will make money, which is what the executives really care about and generally the main reason they greenlight any production.
Given the amount of history there is between the two of them in the comics, its dumb to assume that this is a knee jerk reaction to Avengers being any good, being good was neither here nor there, making money was the issue.

The Batman & Superman franchises are a licence to print money, they always have been, which is why they revolve every few years and new ones get made. Don't for a second think quality really enters into it with the top level executives, its about money, its about a return on the investment. You only have to look at the drek that gets churned out, but as long as it makes money its fine. Both franchises have, even when poorly executed made a fortune, they are bankable commodities, so they are always going to be around. If not actually on screen, then being talked about and developed.

Superman was stuck in development hell for years, don't think that it was dead once Superman 4 came out, it wasn't, same as Batman wasnt dead. There will have always been people kicking the idea around, trying to work out a way to bring them both back to the screen. It just took the right people, the right story and so on to bring it together, which can take time.
Its never really a risk to make one of these films, they will make money, the risk lies in making as much money as possible from them. They will always make a healthy profit, the goal is to make a stellar profit though.

A cross over film will have been talked about for years as well, don't doubt it. Fact is though, one franchise was working the other wasn't. You also have the line of thinking that hey we make a ton of money from these characters alone, why make one movie with two of them, we can make two separate movies, one for each character, then we make twice as much money as one movie with two of them in will make. The Avengers effect, if anything, has served to let them see, no we can make a cross over and make just as much money if not more. Plus the Batman franchise has gone into hibernation, this would be an easy way to reboot it if they want or simply use him to bolster Superman. I don't think it would of ever happened had Batman not just made a world wide fortune and then gone to sleep just as Superman woke up.   

Plus, don't discount the quick turn over reboot of Spiderman in all this either. That's shown that so many years don't have to go by to reboot a series, you can do it quick, new actors, new story line and it will rake it in.

Oh and anyone complaining about reboots in superhero movies, should just shut the fuck up. Have you read the fucking comics, they reboot and have so many different versions, different timelines, different universes, it makes your head spin. Its stupid to suggest its not allowed to do it once in a while in movies with the same properties.

Its about turn over and having product to sell to a great degree. There are new generations coming up all the time, they get into this stuff, they need to make stuff for them. Sure there is a ready market, they are already hooked, you can stick this stuff out and people, even if they seem to hate them, will still pay out to see them. As we know from this thread :P They need new product for the new generations tho, you cant make one Spiderman film and that's it, then show that forever. Why do we need another one, waaaah!! If there is only one, once its been made, released in cinemas, then Blu-ray etc. its maxed out, its a dead property, its not making any more money. Also the new generation want their version and why shouldn't they.
The appetite for comicbook movies is massive right now, as long as the bubble keeps expanding they will keep being made, with varying degrees of quality. There is sure as shit enough material out there to keep them going forever and ever.

The saturation opens up interesting possibilities in fact. As in the comicbook world itself there was a backlash eventually against capers. Writers and artists who weren't so struck on the ideas of superheroes doing daring do started to subvert the genre. I hope and pray this happens with the films. It might lead to the likes of Garth Ennis' The Boys being made or Pat Mills Marshal Law. Marshal Law would be a dream, because it takes Batman & Superman and satirically fucks them senseless. In fact its ruthless in doing every major superhero to one degree or another. For me it goes even further than Watchmen in exploring realistically the notion of what a world would be like with real superheroes. 

But anyway back to Batman and the schoolboy. Batman is easier to do than Superman, which is why there have been more made. As he is superhuman, the complexities of bringing Superman to screen lie in fashioning credible adversaries for him to fight. The first set of films did this well enough, with diminishing returns over the course obviously, but they still featured a lot of getting cats out of trees and stopping accidents and natural disasters, which quite frankly are fucking boring to watch on screen. They have to put them in though because its a two fold exposition of his character, that he fucking cant help himself, he is compelled to save people and it demonstrates his powers.

Putting Batman in a film with him opens up possibilities of making him a more interesting character. The political angles and complex issues that he and Batman operate outside of the law, but on its side. they are both good guy and bad guy in that sense. Batman can also act as a foil to show how even though he is super human and near invincible, he is vulnerable at times and there are some things he wont and cant do, despite his powers. Batman serves to highlight the almost inflexible moral absolutism he very often represents, which we haven't really seen on film. Superman represents order, Batman chaos, putting them together makes both of them more interesting.

A lot of this stuff comes into play and is explored in Dark Knight Returns and Dark Knight Strikes back, Strikes back is as much about Superman as it is about Batman. Its good and interesting they are using them as the basis. Nolan has certainly done well mining Millers version for his films, don't kid yourself he came up with that version of Batman, he didn't that was all pure Frank Miller, from top to bottom. I don't see why the same thing cant work for Superman.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2013, 04:58:01 pm »
Top post, Mouth.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2013, 05:26:29 pm »
Why do you need to "judge their quality"?

If you know for a fact you aren't going to enjoy the movie - don't go to see it. It's very easy.

How does anyone know for a fact they aren't going to enjoy a movie?

Anyway Mouth is dead right. Might as well close the thread until 2015.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2013, 05:29:50 pm »
Good post.

And spot on about the different nature of the characters.

The "he's Batman" line is used a lot to justify how Batman managed to do something that seems impossible, the idea behind it is that he can do stuff normal people can't, because of who he is, fuelled by his inner rage, tempered by his years of training, supported by his hefty budget and clever gadgets, Batman is more than a man.

But Superman? He was never just a man to begin with. Put him in Batman's place in any of the big screen Bat-movies and he'd sort it all out in half the time. Bane? Let's just fly him into the upper atmosphere and see how he gets on without any oxygen for a while. The Joker? A bit of X-Ray vision would have spotted the bomb in that guy's gut and super-speed would get him to rescue Rachael and Harvey Dent with enough time left over to do an anti-smoking commercial. As for Liam Neeson, league of shadows v man of steel... I think we all know how that would turn out.

But what Batman does is dirty. He does break the law. He's a vigilante with dubious mental health. He's a sliver away from being an unstoppable villain. He could easily just plan for any possibility, detect crime from his cave and just send his case notes over to the cops but he chooses to go out and punch people in the face every night. Superman can't act like that; if he punches a guy in the face he'll kill him stone dead. So Batman is a problem.

In Dark Knight Returns, Superman has become the servant of an authoritarian government, a fascist tool, a walking piece of propaganda. Batman's gone underground. It's a fight about freedom and indivduality. Millar's politics are deeply fucked, incidentally, but this story really makes the case for Batman as the true face of American idealism and Superman as the poster boy for corporate hegemony.

I don't think the new movie will touch that with a ten foot pole, but it shows up that the most interesting thing to do with Superman isn't to find him super-powered bad guys to fight (that's usually a more Marvel thing anyway, DCs best villains tend not to have powers) it's to give him a moral dilemma. Is Batman a force for good or evil? In Superman's simplistic four-colour ideology, Batman is a criminal, a terrorist, even. But maybe Batman's all that is standing in the way of something far worse. And Batman really isn't interested in getting Superman on side, he just needs to get his kick of vengeance. So for Superman it's a choice between two evils. And we know what decision he'll make in the end, but the journey there, the process of the two coming together, is where the drama should be.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2013, 06:56:54 pm »
Definitely don't agree on the Burton thing (& it wasn't "the original" in any sense, but let's not split hairs)

I will split hairs because I think you've misunderstood me.  I know there are tons of Batman films.  Burton did more than one film.  I said the 'original Tim Burton film' - that means his first one.
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2013, 07:07:34 pm »
Jesus, there's a few slow folk about on here.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2013, 07:10:10 pm »
Jesus, there's a few slow folk about on here.

Ironic.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2013, 07:18:25 pm »
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2013, 07:20:57 pm »
Haha!

Too easy.

Are you saying you deliberately posted like a dullard in order to come back, accuse people of being dull and then get to post that response when someone points it out?

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2013, 07:23:24 pm »
Are you saying you deliberately posted like a dullard in order to come back, accuse people of being dull and then get to post that response when someone points it out?
I don't think there's any point discussing this further.

I think this film is a bad idea, you took umbrage to that for some reason.

No hard feelings, let's just both do something a little more productive and worthwhile eh?

I'm sure you're a cracking guy, in spite of your username.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2013, 07:26:20 pm »
I will split hairs because I think you've misunderstood me.  I know there are tons of Batman films.  Burton did more than one film.  I said the 'original Tim Burton film' - that means his first one.

Oh I get you.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2013, 07:31:17 pm »
I'm sure you're a cracking guy, in spite of your username.

I'm really not.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2013, 07:33:50 pm »
I'm really not.
At least you're honest.

Should I enjoy this, you'll be the first I come crawling to admitting I was wrong.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2013, 07:46:32 pm »
At least you're honest.

Should I enjoy this, you'll be the first I come crawling to admitting I was wrong.

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2013, 02:45:04 am »
Affleck is Batman

Ben Affleck will play Batman in ‘Man of Steel’ sequel, due July 17, 2015

Ben Affleck will play Batman opposite Henry Cavill in the “Man of Steel” sequel, Warner Bros. announced today.

In a statement, director Zack Snyder expressed his excitement about the casting of Affleck, noting, “Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman.  He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne.  I can’t wait to work with him.”

Snyder, who directed “Man of Steel,” is set to co-write the story with David S. Goyer, who will pen the screenplay.

Production is expected to begin next year, with a July 17, 2015, release date.

Affleck, of course, has a history in the superhero genre. He previously starred as the blind Marvel hero Daredevil in writer-director Mark Steven Johnson’s 2003 film.

Word of the union of two of DC Comics’ most iconic heroes first surfaced in July at Comic-Con International in San Diego, with Warner Bros. announcing the project during its panel presentation.

During that session, Snyder said that the film will not be adapted from “Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.”

“Zack Snyder is an incredibly talented filmmaker, but beyond that, he’s a fan first, and he utterly gets this genre,” Greg Silverman, president of Warner Bros. creative development, said in a news release about the Superman/Batman project. “We could not think of anyone better suited to the task of bringing these iconic superheroes to the screen in his own way.”

FULL COVERAGE: “Man of Steel”

“Man of Steel” producers Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are returning as producers, and Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are serving as executive producers on the upcoming film, along with Benjamin Melniker and Michael E. Uslan.

Returning “Man of Steel” cast members include Amy Adams as Lois Lane and Laurence Fishburne as Perry White.

Diane Lane also will reprise her role as Martha Kent.

herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/ben-affleck-will-play-batman-in-man-of-steel-sequel-due-july-17-2015/

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2013, 03:14:12 am »
Just remember no one wanted Keaton back in 1989....
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline hulksagoodboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2013, 03:26:30 am »
Should've been Karl Urban imo  :P

Affleck will be interesting though, make or break really.

Offline unknownuser

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2013, 03:37:58 am »
Don't really know how to feel about Affleck.
He has grown a lot as an actor over the years and I can easily see him as Bruce Wayne, but as Batman? I just don't know.  :-\

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2013, 03:42:38 am »
He should be directing it instead. I think Bale was not only really good but also probably unfollowable. Affleck is huge right now for different reasons but he'll do a good job.

End of the line is Zack Snyder is still directing it so it will still be a painful film to get through.

Read the other week that WB did a license swap with Legendary, and now WB have the rights to the "Superman vs Batman" film title, so it seems they'll be going through with that, which I argued against on the previous page. Too soon imo, they're blowing their load too quickly.

Offline unknownuser

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2013, 03:48:16 am »
If it was Affleck directed by Nolan, I wouldn't be as worried as Affleck being directed by Zack Snyder with a script by Goyer.
I can already imagine cringe worthy dialogue between Clark and Bruce.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2013, 04:17:19 am »
At least you're honest.

Well, this is embarrassing.

I was wrong...

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2013, 06:18:24 am »
Saw Affleck's name and the initial reaction was 'oh shit' but is a good choice when you think about it. Impressed they're going with an older Batman.

Hope it's better than when he played Daredevil!

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2013, 06:48:26 am »
Would have been more excited if he was behind the camera. A resounding "hmmmmm."
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2013, 07:14:03 am »
Interesting choice, I really like Affleck.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2013, 07:26:12 am »
He's turned his entire career around since shit like Daredevil.

I still have huge worries over the film, the director and probably what they will do with the story, but Affleck I'm actually excited about.

It's a little left field, no one really mentioned him, but I think he could be very good.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2013, 07:40:52 am »
Like Affleck, but ambivalent about this casting. I really enjoyed Daredevil. The much mooted Joe Carnahan 'Hells Kitchen/1970's' reboot would have been cracking.