Author Topic: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU  (Read 329326 times)

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU
« Reply #3400 on: March 16, 2018, 01:04:06 pm »
They are both called Shazam now, though, aren't they?

No idea how the film will work this, but my guess would be they either get rid of the wizard entirely, or rename him. Otherwise its just confusing/daft if a wizard called Shazam grants powers for a kid to turn into a superhero called Shazam by shouting "Shazam!".

Havent read any of the more recent DC comics so I dont know how his name change has been handled.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #3401 on: March 16, 2018, 01:05:55 pm »
No idea how the film will work this, but my guess would be they either get rid of the wizard entirely, or rename him. Otherwise its just confusing/daft if a wizard called Shazam grants powers for a kid to turn into a superhero called Shazam by shouting "Shazam!".

Havent read any of the more recent DC comics so I dont know how his name change has been handled.

Have Marvel ever done a Washington based hero called Captain DC? That would be top trolling.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3402 on: March 16, 2018, 01:21:22 pm »
I think we'll definitely see Flashpoint (which writes Affleck out), Joker (they announced plot details), Black Adam, and of course Batman. The rest I have no idea about.

I think they assumed Wrinkle would do big business and they'd be capitalizing on it's success but alas.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3403 on: March 16, 2018, 01:28:57 pm »
Have Marvel ever done a Washington based hero called Captain DC? That would be top trolling.

Hah, that would be pretty funny after the ridiculous copyright battles over Captain Marvel/Shazam

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3405 on: March 16, 2018, 02:24:27 pm »

Yes, Superted was inspired by the original Captain Marvel character, down to the "secret magic word". I know which film I'd rather see!
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #3406 on: March 17, 2018, 06:54:45 am »
Another of the many reasons this Universe was always doomed to fail was its pacing. Not the well publicised issues with the films but rather the release schedule of the films.

This universe is now 5 years old had we’ve ‘only’ had 5 films. During those 5 films we had a 3 year gap between MoS and BvS which gives the impression that this wasn’t planned at all but rather a reaction,

Compare that with Marvel who did the below in their first 5 years
Iron Man 2008
Incredible Hulk 2008
Iron Man 2 2010
Captain America 2011
Thor 2011
Avengers 2012
Iron Man 3 2013
Thor 2 2013

With that you get the clear impression they wanted to first establish the key 3 Avengers first and then expanding into the niche characters (GOTG, Doctor Strange etc). 

So far with the DCEU, Batman hasn’t had his own film, Superman is still waiting for his own sequel, the Flash hasn’t had his own film yet they’ve all featured sporadically in 3/4 films. Films like Suicide Squad and Shazam arriving ahead of the aforementioned is just bizarre.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #3408 on: May 15, 2018, 05:58:55 am »
They are both called Shazam now, though, aren't they?

The wizard was named Shazam.  Billy Batson's alter ego is called Captain Marvel, although some of his comic books and the 70s TV show have been titled "Shazam!"

I am fun at parties.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:01:10 am by zabadoh »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #3409 on: May 15, 2018, 04:54:34 pm »

Finally my avatar gets the recognition it deserves!

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3410 on: May 15, 2018, 07:13:02 pm »
The wizard was named Shazam.  Billy Batson's alter ego is called Captain Marvel, although some of his comic books and the 70s TV show have been titled "Shazam!"

I am fun at parties.

I knew that, but I believe that the character is now also called Shazam.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/William_Batson_(Prime_Earth)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3411 on: May 30, 2018, 12:54:05 pm »
Finally got around to watching Justice League for the 1st time on Sunday night. After hearing peoples opinions and reading a few reviews I was expecting a hot mess of a film but I was pleasantly surprised

It was good. Not great and I definitely feel they should have went the Marvel route of everyone having at least one individual film before we get a team up film but I enjoyed it. It was funny in parts, it had decent action and the story was as good as it could be (where a team of heroes beat a CGI villain and unlimited number of CGI cronies)

It seemed to hint at Darkseid as well as give a little nod to the Green Lantern Corp. too which was nice and I hope after everyone has a film (WW2, Aquaman, Flash, MoS2, hopefully a Batman one too) that we get a better Justice League 2 with maybe Patty Jenkins behind the camera instead of Snyder

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #3412 on: June 1, 2018, 09:14:45 pm »
Anyone watched Batman Ninja yet? It's very good.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #3413 on: July 20, 2018, 10:20:42 am »
A DC show saying "Fuck Batman"

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-PPofXaJ4go" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-PPofXaJ4go</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3414 on: July 20, 2018, 10:23:43 am »
A DC show saying "Fuck Batman"

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-PPofXaJ4go" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-PPofXaJ4go</a>

2 edgy 4 me

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3415 on: July 20, 2018, 10:53:04 am »
I think I'll wait for the new Young Justice episodes instead.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3416 on: July 20, 2018, 11:02:40 am »
I think I'll wait for the new Young Justice episodes instead.

When are they out? Seems like it was announced ages ago but still nothing.
Football is a lie

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3417 on: July 20, 2018, 11:52:33 am »
Apparently there was some kind of preview at San Diego Comic Con yesterday but I haven't really looked into it. Feel like after all these years I'm pretty sanguine about when it actually comes.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3418 on: July 20, 2018, 01:33:07 pm »
Haha that Titans trailer, DC just can't help themselves, can they.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3419 on: July 20, 2018, 02:42:39 pm »
I wasn't going to watch this anyway but fucking hell.

It's like they saw the Marvel tv shows and thought "we can beat this" and didn't read what everyone hates about them.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3420 on: July 21, 2018, 08:16:30 pm »
SHAZAM TRAILER

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/go6GEIrcvFY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/go6GEIrcvFY</a>

IT LOOKS SO MUCH FUN

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3421 on: July 21, 2018, 08:25:16 pm »
That actually looks quite interesting.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3422 on: July 21, 2018, 08:31:08 pm »
That looks good. The DC universe needs a bit of humour.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #3423 on: July 21, 2018, 09:24:17 pm »
Under water Thor.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WDkg3h8PCVU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WDkg3h8PCVU</a>
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:50:34 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3424 on: July 21, 2018, 09:52:19 pm »
Shazam looks pretty ace  ;D

Aquaman um.....doesn’t
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #3425 on: July 21, 2018, 10:16:30 pm »
Really looking forward to Shazam now, had very low expectations. Aquaman looks alright to be fair!
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3426 on: July 21, 2018, 10:45:17 pm »
Aquaman got his own film?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3427 on: July 22, 2018, 04:08:46 pm »
I thought they’d go for the Big vibe with Shazam, and they’ve nailed it. It looks great.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #3428 on: July 22, 2018, 04:28:10 pm »
Shazam looks really good :)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3429 on: July 22, 2018, 04:39:39 pm »
Would be good if they keep that separate to the whole Batfleck/Supercavill/Aquashit trainwreck thing they have going on right now.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #3430 on: July 22, 2018, 06:05:11 pm »
The Shazam movie looks like it's exactly what it should be- fun and the complete opposite of the DC movies thus far.
The Aquaman movie, on the other hand... eeek. It looks like a train wreck. The underwater effects look bad, the plot is a watered down (pun!) Thor, and the editing for the punchlines in that trailer is horrible. The attempts at humour are just not good, especially when seen out of context like that. I think they waited too long to release this and it should have been pre-Justice League, not after.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3431 on: July 22, 2018, 07:28:19 pm »
The Shazam movie looks like it's exactly what it should be- fun and the complete opposite of the DC movies thus far.
The Aquaman movie, on the other hand... eeek. It looks like a train wreck. The underwater effects look bad, the plot is a watered down (pun!) Thor, and the editing for the punchlines in that trailer is horrible. The attempts at humour are just not good, especially when seen out of context like that. I think they waited too long to release this and it should have been pre-Justice League, not after.

And once they realised they wanted him to make jokes, they should have recast. Momoa is many things, but he's not funny.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #3432 on: July 22, 2018, 08:47:27 pm »
And once they realised they wanted him to make jokes, they should have recast. Momoa is many things, but he's not funny.

It's like they assume any big man can be The Rock. That "Permission to come aboard" line...  :duh
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3433 on: July 23, 2018, 10:12:35 am »
Aquaman looks the goofiest, dumbest shit I've ever seen and I cannot wait to buy my ticket. 

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #3434 on: July 23, 2018, 05:43:29 pm »
Both look pretty fun! ;D

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3435 on: July 24, 2018, 02:17:28 pm »
It's getting a new name, "Worlds of DC".

https://screenrant.com/dc-extended-universe-officially-branded-worlds-dc/

Most interesting from the article:

"Worlds of DC" brings to mind a cinematic multiverse rather than a single universe, which would give DC Films the freedom to bring together major heroes like the members of the Justice League, but also the flexibility to keep them from having to worry about continuity of canon and tone in, for example, Michael Bay's in-development Lobo movie. It means that Warner Bros. can have traditional PG-13 blockbusters aimed at kids, but also R-rated movies for adult audiences (like Fox's Deadpool and Logan). Even if you're not a fan of the name, DC thinking in terms of "Worlds" rather than a single world could be a change for the better.

That hack Bay directing Lobo aside, I think this is a much better idea than trying to bootstrap into an MCU style endeavor. They've gone about it cack-handed so far, but I think this will breath a little easier. Maybe without trying to drive it to a singular point we can actually get more than 1 good film out of every 5.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3436 on: July 24, 2018, 02:19:49 pm »
Ooooh there's a Lobo movie? Interesting.

Although I can't wait to see how they royally fuck that one up.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3437 on: July 24, 2018, 02:42:29 pm »
Michael Bay is doing Lobo?  This will either be the greatest thing ever or a complete train wreck.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3438 on: July 24, 2018, 02:56:14 pm »
Been avoiding Justice League since everyone was saying its so so bad added to the fact i'm a huge marvel fan, but i'm gonna give it a watch today

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3439 on: July 24, 2018, 05:25:47 pm »
The Multiverse makes way more sense and is way more interesting than a shared universe. Also means they can keep recasting without it being jarring, and let directors play in the sandbox which is what I've wanted since the beginning.

Hey Claus, fuck off.