Author Topic: My Favourite Player #6 - Emlyn Hughes a.k.a Crazy Horse  (Read 21945 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
My Favourite Player #6 - Emlyn Hughes a.k.a Crazy Horse
« on: December 5, 2012, 09:25:09 pm »
In 1970 Bill Shankly had to make some tough decisions. The team that had won two leagues, an FA Cup and reached the final of the Cup Winners Cup was ageing. The Reds had been knocked out of the FA Cup by Watford in the quarter finals. Shanks as ever, with the best interests of the future of LFC in mind, was looking for fresh young talent to take the club forward and rebuild with.

Barrow born, Emlyn Hughes, just 23 at the time, had made his debut three seasons earlier in the spring of '67 after signing for a sum of £65,000 from Blackpool after making just 28 appearances for them. Emlyn survived the cull by Shanks along with the likes of Ian Callaghan and Tommy Smith.  As the legend goes, Shanks was stopped in his car by the cops as he drove his new signing back to Merseyside for the first time and said: "Don't you know who I've got in this car? The captain of England!" The policeman leaned in for a closer look and says ''Well I don't recognise him" to which Shankly retorted: "No son, but you will!"

Emlyn soon settled into life at Anfield in what was a transitional time for the club. He gained his nickname 'Crazy Horse' after less than a handful of games after he rugby-tackled Newcastle's forward Albert Bennett who was slipping through his grasp in just his fifth game for Liverpool. He had truly endeared himself to the Kop forever more.  Emlyn played in his preferred midfield role but Shanks later moved him to centre-half alongside Phil Thompson who had coincidentally also been brought back from a midfield position. They immediately struck up a great partnership. Thommo's distribution and ability to read the game was complimented by Hughes who although predominantly left sided was strong with both feet and also dominant in the air. Despite his eagerness in the tackle, which earned him his nickname, he soon matured into almost the complete player. Shanks obviously saw something special for he rewarded Emlyn with the captain's armband. He had succeeded Tommy Smith, a move which infamously ignited a long running feud between the pair. Liverpool became renowned for their more continental style, maintaining posession and building attacks from the back with controlled passing.

1971 Emlyn had yet to taste success. When we reached the cup final he was inconsolable when we lost 1-2 in extra time to Arsenal. Legendary commentator Kenneth Wolstenholme remarked: "Emlyn Hughes there, really absolutely sick."  However it wouldn't be long before the future club captain would be on the winning side with a trophy to show for it.

1972/73 A famous season for the Reds with Crazy Horse at the epicentre. He played an incredible 65 games that season which culminated in an unprecendented league and Uefa Cup double. The merseyside derby of '73 was an unforgettable one for Emlyn who scored both goals in a memorable win at Goodison.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E68XKOF9nfA&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/E68XKOF9nfA&amp;feature=related</a>

1973 We dispatched Tottenham on away goals in the semi-finals before meeting Borussia Moenchengladbach, we famously won the first leg 3-0 but the travelling Kopites had to bite their nails to the ends in the second leg when we held out to win the cup when Borussia put up a great display winning 2-0 but succumbing 3-2 on aggregate. Liverpool's first Uefa Cup Trophy.

1974 A season which saw Emlyn climb the famous Wembley steps to lift the FA Cup as captain for the first time. This was our second FA Cup triumph where we beat a fine Newcastle United side.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zR0Y6-Pm6aU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zR0Y6-Pm6aU</a>

Shanks embraces his skipper:

The 1975/76 season saw Liverpool back on top domestically. With just 5 defeats Liverpool were nigh on unstoppable as we held off the challenge of QPR to bring the title back where it belonged. This was to be another unforgettable season as we recorded another incredible league and Uefa Cup double. The title was successfully defended in 76/77 when we won our record setting tenth league title.

One of the most memorable games ever played at Anfield, the 1976 Uefa Cup Final first leg v Club Brugges. A crowd of over 50,000 packed into Anfield on the night of the 28th of April 1976. Here's what unfolded....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwRf-n36DAs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fwRf-n36DAs</a>

In the return leg Brugge went ahead with an 11th minute penalty only for Keegan to once again come good and score our equaliser four minutes later, the game ended 1-1 and Liverpool had won the Cup again, 4-3 on aggregate.  A beaming Emlyn and his crew displaying their achievements from the brilliantly successful 1975/76 season:

Those were the days my friend...

1976/77 This season one of the greatest Reds sides led by Emlyn was on course for an unprecedented treble of league, FA Cup and European Cup. Old Big Ears had eluded the Reds and indeed British sides in general up to that point. With Sir Bob at the helm and the league title successfully defended however, this was about to change as Liverpool headed for Rome to contest the European Cup Final v old foe Borussia Mönchengladbach.  The FA Cup was also up for grabs, Just four days earlier Manchester United somehow managed to cruelly rob us of our treble dreams by inflicting a 1-2 Wembley defeat in the FA Cup. Emlyn was as distraught as he was in '71 but there were bigger wars to be won.

It was no easy ride to Rome in '77 however, in the quarter-finals we faced St.Etienne who were finalists in 1976. After a demoralising 1-0 defeat in France. A big effort would be required if we were to overcome this talented outfit at home.

One of the greatest nights the Kop ever witnessed....

The rest as they say is history.....”WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED!”

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pY6ybFJg0_U&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pY6ybFJg0_U&amp;feature=related</a>

After hammering Zurich 6-1 on aggregate and with the title wrapped up Emlyn confidently led the Reds out at the Stadio Olimpico to a rapturous reception where the fans had almost literally painted the town Red.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WGYoTYAOSwY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WGYoTYAOSwY</a>

1977 also saw Emlyn rightfully crowned Football Writers Player of the Year, this was a personal achievement, that Emlyn was honored to receive. It was a great end to one of his best seasons at Liverpool.

1977 After the FA Cup semi-final replay, where Liverpool had won 3-0, Emlyn came out with what was to become a legendary quote “Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic” which Emlyn belted out at the homecoming parade at St. George's plateau in 1977 while Phil Thompson, David Johnson and Jimmy Case crack up.....

Liverpool were denied a league three in a row by Brian Clough's great Nottingham Forest side and Emlyn had to settle for a runners up medal. We started the season by winning yet another European trophy, the first Super Cup which we lifted after hammering Hamburg 6-0 at home (7-1 on aggregate.) Defending the European Cup would be no easy feat but with the final being held at Liverpool's second home Wembley it was a further incentive for Bob's men. Dynamo Dresden and Borussia Mönchengladbach were dispatched and our old friends Brugges lay in wait.

1978:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aX-FwEfUGFY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aX-FwEfUGFY</a>

At this stage in his LFC career, Emlyn's place came under pressure from the emerging young Scottish centre half Alan Hansen. But 16 appearances meant that Emlyn's final season at Anfield was another successful one as we lifted our 11th league title exacting revenge over the Nottingham Forest side who had beaten us in the League Cup final of '78.  At the end of the season after an illustrious Anfield career Bob felt it was time for Crazy Horse to move on.

1979 Emlyn was sold to Wolves for a fee of £90,000. He made his Wolves debut at the Baseball Ground on Wednesday, 22 August 1979 in a 1-0 win over Derby County and went on to win the League Cup in his first season with Wolves - the only trophy he didn't win with Liverpool - and duly lifted it as captain after a surprise 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest at Wembley. He was later decorated with the OBE for services to football and featured on the television tribute show This Is Your Life.

Emlyn is the only Liverpool player to have lifted the European Cup as captain twice.

Emlyn won the first of his 62 England caps against Holland in 1969 – and went on to captain his country 23 times
and was a non-playing part of the 1970 World Cup squad.

'Come all without
Come all within
You ain't seen nothing like the Mighty Emlyn'

Emlyn Hughes Liverpool Stats
Appearances: 657
Goals: 48 goals

Honours with LFC:

* 4 Division 1 championship Winners medals (1973, 1976, 1977 and 1979)
* FA Cup winners medal (1974)
* 2 European Cup winners medals (1977 and 1978)
* 2 UEFA Cup winners medals (1973 and 1976)
* European Super Cup winners medal (1977)
* 3 Charity Shield winners medals (1974, 1976 and 1977)
* 3 First Division (Level 1) runners-up medals (1969, 1974 and 1978)
* 2 FA Cup runners-up medals (1971 and 1977)
* Football League Cup runners-up medal (1978)
* European Super Cup runners-up medal (1978)
* Charity Shield runners-up medal (1971)

* Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C (1979–1981) - 58 appearances, 2 goals
* Football League Cup winners medal (1980)
* England (1969–1980) - 62 caps, 1 goal
* Personal Honours
* Awarded the OBE in (1980)
* Football Writers Footballer of the Year (1977)

Football Writers Player of the Year: 1977
League appearances: Hughes 474
League goals: Hughes 35
Total appearances: Hughes 657
Total goals: Hughes 48

Emlyn you will never walk alone.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mU9-3gv0K84" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mU9-3gv0K84</a>

Emlyn's statue in his hometown of Barrow:

Emlyn Hughes 1947-2004

« Last Edit: December 5, 2012, 09:42:28 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: My Favourite Player #6 - Emlyn Hughes a.k.a Crazy Horse
« Reply #1 on: December 5, 2012, 09:43:01 pm »
It was longer believe it or not, this is the condensed version. :)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 5, 2012, 11:00:34 pm »
And still a wonderful read mate. Thanks.
Yep.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 5, 2012, 11:04:12 pm »
And still a wonderful read mate. Thanks.

Cheers mate.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 5, 2012, 11:59:59 pm »
A great thread for a great player, and whilst he and Tommy Smith had their fallouts, he was still one the Liverpool greats. Enjoy number 6 and thanks Phil.
Yep.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: December 6, 2012, 12:02:38 am »
Aye he was a reet bit special that lad.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #6 on: December 6, 2012, 12:21:23 am »
It was longer believe it or not, this is the condensed version. :)

Worth every last syllable. Was wondering how long it'd take to get to my favorite.

Thanks for that, Phil. A great read for a great player. Shed a few tears the day he died.
Justice For The 96

Offline hitman89762000

• Young Glasshoppel, apprentice to the arlarses. Exponent of The Sandon's original "Hippy Mod In A Headlock" manoeuvre.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never wanting to be a transfer forum mod.
« Reply #7 on: December 6, 2012, 12:30:17 am »
Wish i'd been around when he was playing i use the "liverpool are magic..." quote everytime we play everton just to wind my mates up.
@Robbie9Fowler robbie fowler
@ @hitman8976rawk big spunky seaman was fookin massive... I saw the devil in his eyes and shit my undercrackers

PLEASE Sign Kevin Williams 15yeatr life ended at Hillsborough. His inquest is urgent for his terminally ill mum. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40925

a tweet fro

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8 on: December 6, 2012, 12:38:49 am »
Top, top read in a great series. One of my arl fella's favourite Liverpool players, although I'm sure loads of younger fans remember him from being one of the captains on A Question of Sport.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9 on: December 6, 2012, 12:39:52 am »
Looks a bit like Rooney in that pic, but with hair.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 6, 2012, 08:12:05 am »
Smile worthy of a toothpaste ad. He was before my time, but I've seen a fair amount of videos, dvds and youtubes(?). Lovely all round player. And one of the select few from the 'olden days' who could have made the transition to our "modern" game - if ye know what I mean... (rambling, I know - shutup)

Thanks Phil!

@Yvanicuzz

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 6, 2012, 08:37:36 am »
Great write up.

Caught the very tail end of his career and vague memories of him galloping about (sorry) trying to tackle well, anyone really. Think Masch but with Momo's style. He was losing his legs by that point, and Paisley famously preferred that to happen on someone else's pitch. Even European Cup-winning captains. And replacing them with raw gangly talented CBs. If only that same demanding ruthlessness were applied today.

Think it's fair to say Emlyn was probably the first (that I can recall) footballer to carve out a sort of media career (as in recognisable to the man in the street) outside of shite punditry that everyone gravitates to these days. It gave him a sort of comedy approachable persona, which kind of overlooked quite what a legendary player he was. Forever burned into the club's retina holding aloft the European Cup not once but twice.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 6, 2012, 09:06:18 am »
And he was bonking Princess Anne.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 6, 2012, 09:07:26 am »
Feel free to plug this in properly if you want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMO9I-pTtM8
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #14 on: December 6, 2012, 10:29:58 am »
Good stuff Phil. Emlyn is an all-time great. An absolute winner.

Pundits rightly admire Guardiola's decision to turn two midfielders into centre backs at Barca. But Shanks beat him to it when he took Phil Thommo and Emlyn from the midfield and paired them at the back in 1973
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #15 on: December 6, 2012, 10:37:31 am »
For me the Greatest player ever at this club, great inspirational leader, and great player and that combination does not always happen. He is above Kenny and Stevie for me.

Thanks Phil
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: December 6, 2012, 10:57:01 am »

Thought it was John Reid?

My first memories of him are of course from Question of Sport, and also seeing pictures of him in a Wolves kit which confused me greatly. Two European Cups lifted, not bad at all!

My favourite 'memory' of him came from watching my much loved Beating The Blues video and his two goals in the same game complete with full on Crazy Horse celebrations.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 6, 2012, 11:15:00 am »
Cheers all. Great to read the genuine affection and sentiment people feel for one of greatest ever.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 6, 2012, 11:32:31 am »

:lmao

A great read. I am in the Question of Sport generation so never saw his playing days sadly other than what's in history or spoken of in books but this recollection by Phil M makes it a lot more real to appreciate him  :)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #19 on: December 6, 2012, 11:57:53 am »

Grew up watching him on Question of Sport.
Pretty sure he once mistook Princess Anne for a bloke (in the game where you had to guess the sportsperson from a picture) and she was on the show the following week !    ;D

Football wise - before my time but I've watched & read alot about him.
Seemed such a nice guy and from what I've seen a great player & obviously held in high regard by Shanks & everyone else associated with the club.

I read his autobiography a long time ago - think I'll dig it up and read it again !

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #20 on: December 6, 2012, 12:09:27 pm »
Good man, Phil, that's a worthy write up.

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #21 on: December 6, 2012, 12:22:47 pm »
Playing 2 midfielders as Centre Backs, a certain team in Spain has tried to do that too!!

Talk about ahead of his time.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #22 on: December 6, 2012, 12:31:12 pm »
Once again excellent read Phil. Thanks
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #23 on: December 6, 2012, 12:40:55 pm »
Playing 2 midfielders as Centre Backs, a certain team in Spain has tried to do that too!!

Talk about ahead of his time.

Don't forget Carragher started out life as a midfielder, too.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 6, 2012, 12:47:08 pm »
Loving this threads. Head a lot about him of course so thanks for the write up.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 6, 2012, 01:08:55 pm »
Cheers OP brilliant. Incredible player, bit before my time, looks as good as any.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: December 6, 2012, 02:20:50 pm »
Excellent read... A shame that me and many other Reds never had the pleasure of watching him play  :(
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

royhendo

« Reply #27 on: December 6, 2012, 02:31:22 pm »
Brilliant mate, really enjoyable. :)

Offline DLRG12

• For someone running a no nonsense website, appears to be singularly lacking in sense.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #28 on: December 6, 2012, 02:58:25 pm »
Em was a legend - on and off the pitch. Absolute gentleman.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 6, 2012, 03:16:56 pm »
Brilliant mate, really enjoyable. :)

Ta mate. I've been really enjoying the other threads myself and Emlyn is certainly very worthy of one.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 6, 2012, 03:32:19 pm »
Missed his years by a couple but christ consdiering he only scored 48 goals for us many of those were stunners, some even making SGs collection look ordinary. The joy in his face when he scored / celebrated a trophy is a sight to behold as the mans smile lights up the whole place.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
  • Follow me: @BreakfastPercy
« Reply #31 on: December 6, 2012, 04:11:14 pm »
Whichever player brings back the double arm-up skipping and jumping celebration you see Emlyn do (and Kenny amongst others) instantly gets hero status. Players think they're too cool for it these days!

Too young to have seen him myself but that article was brilliantly comprehensive. Cheers!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 6, 2012, 04:58:54 pm »
Great read Phil, I just hope younger readers take in every single word as it outlines what an illustrious, successful and applaudable career he had with Liverpool. Emlyn is what legends are made of.

People who don't remember him should read or watch a bit about him if they doubt what a fantastic footballer he actually was, another player this club is gifted to have signed.

And it would be remiss of us not to acknowledge the respect he carried by the nation as a great England player and captain, a career that also spanned 3 different decades.

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: December 6, 2012, 05:24:21 pm »
Read this while having my morning cup of coffee.  Thank you Phil.  What a great read.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 6, 2012, 06:02:42 pm »
great stuff Phil.
bit before my time and the only memory I have of him as a player was when he signed for Wolves, as I think we were playing them around the same time(?).
one of the greats for sure.
those youtube clips of the St Etienne game always give me goosebumps.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 6, 2012, 06:13:43 pm »
That fantastic winning smile. I'll never forget his performance at Wembley against Supermac and his mate Tudor. Imperious.

Offline Jools

• Didn't believe at half time against Dortmund
  • Main Stander
« Reply #36 on: December 6, 2012, 08:30:31 pm »
Emlyn only ever ackowledged the kop once which I think was at his testimonial the reason he later gave for this waswhen he was passed his best the kop would then no longer shout out his name for him to ackowlege it and that would have been too much for him to bare.

I think I'm remembering this right in that he broke Peter Osgoods leg on his Liverpool debute and got sent off for the foul tackle.
Whilst Osgood was rolling around in agony on the floor Emlyn who was still stood up caught Shank's eye who was waving at Emlyn from the touchline telling him to "go down go down" pretending to be also hurt hoping the ref would be lenient with him - alas it was all too late!

Nice one Emlyn, fantastic player!

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 6, 2012, 09:20:10 pm »
Ta mate. I've been really enjoying the other threads myself and Emlyn is certainly very worthy of one.

Good read Phil, as the others have been.

I'm looking forward to reading Andy@allerton's ode to Steve Gerrard ... and Al555's gushing praise of Jamie Carragher

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 6, 2012, 10:11:52 pm »
Thanks for all the positive comments. Much appreciated.

On topic I think threads like this and the ones the others scribes are doing such a great job with are really important in terms of educating younger Reds about the players that otherwise they might only hear in the odd song at an away match or in reference to here.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 6, 2012, 10:59:25 pm »
Brilliant. Another player who embodied the club and what it now stands for today. We'll forgive his peck on Mrs Thatcher's cheek. I like to think of it as a really slow kiss of death. ;D

Well in Phil.