Author Topic: Dredd  (Read 43190 times)

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
Re: Dredd
« Reply #160 on: August 4, 2012, 06:21:32 pm »
Yeah, that's more or less exactly how I'd do it. I've been thinking about creating a design of what he would look like if he were to make it into a sequel, and a dead corpse in a judge uniform is what I was thinking. Although I would still like to keep some of Death's original design in there. His helmet would be a bit of a sticking point. Like where would he get a design like that from (a metal, spiked gate visor?), and his shoulder pads and badge on his chest. I suppose those might have to be sacrificed for the sake of continuity.
Depends how much of the back story they want to show in order to establish the character. Showing his own world, it could be seen as what it is a more extreme version of MC1, so to begin with their judges might of been dressed in death fetishistic uniforms, like the SS, deathheads and skulls all over them, instead of an eagle on the shoulder a skull or a dragon. The whole SS angle would actually work very well really, nazi zombies from another dimension would be very easy for an audience to get to grips with as a concept. Then you just have to show him as a shambling corpse in the same uniform but have it be rotting and decaying as well, so all the death imagery becomes even more pronounced.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: August 4, 2012, 06:37:28 pm »
Depends how much of the back story they want to show in order to establish the character. Showing his own world, it could be seen as what it is a more extreme version of MC1, so to begin with their judges might of been dressed in death fetishistic uniforms, like the SS, deathheads and skulls all over them, instead of an eagle on the shoulder a skull or a dragon. The whole SS angle would actually work very well really, nazi zombies from another dimension would be very easy for an audience to get to grips with as a concept. Then you just have to show him as a shambling corpse in the same uniform but have it be rotting and decaying as well, so all the death imagery becomes even more pronounced.
Yeah, I never thought of it like that. That would be taking a liberty with Death's origins, though. He was a judge on another planet, and he was - a bit too contrived so - called Sidney De'ath and he got his badge through a nickname given to him. Their judge uniforms were similar only they were black and red. They did have skulls in their design, though. I think the future judge nazi thing would make better sense. I'm not sure, though. I think it would be better if they didn't really explain it as much. I think they'll be a tricky one to handle. Remember Captain America and the Red Skull. He just didn't fit at all and was completely out of place in that film.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #162 on: August 4, 2012, 06:50:04 pm »
Yeah, I never thought of it like that. That would be taking a liberty with Death's origins, though. He was a judge on another planet, and he was - a bit too contrived so - called Sidney De'ath and he got his badge through a nickname given to him. Their judge uniforms were similar only they were black and red. They did have skulls in their design, though. I think the future judge nazi thing would make better sense. I'm not sure, though. I think it would be better if they didn't really explain it as much. I think they'll be a tricky one to handle. Remember Captain America and the Red Skull. He just didn't fit at all and was completely out of place in that film.
This is where a skilled screen writer, 20 drafts and a director with a bit of vision come in. Could do it just like they did in the comic, a portal opens and he just steps out into a wet MC1 night and then wanders about looking for people to kill. If they managed to get another film, have the other dark judges looking for him and expand upon the mythos in flashback prologue at the beginning of the third film explaining who and what death is, framing it in such a way as show how he became death, then show he isnt alone and that they are coming for him, then onto the rest of the film and how it unfolds.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Driver 8

• ...take a break
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: August 4, 2012, 07:32:28 pm »
As you say, the drug itself is a plot device related to the 3d and showing off some nice effects. The thing is, from people who have seen it, they say that the 3d is actually very impressive when it's used for the slow mo scenes, and there are only a handful of them. I don't know about you, but I personally haven't seen an action film where a bullet passes through someone's skull and explodes their face in super slow motion and in your face. I'm looking forward to seeing more of that kind of stuff. I think the CGI blood is dead on. The blood extending over the border made it look like a nod to the comics rather than just doing it for the sake of 3d. And I think it looks HDR and bright like that because of the effect the 3d has when shooting film at anything over 60fps. The colours come out a little more toned down when viewing it in 3d. Peter Jackson had the same problem shooting The Hobbit. He had to colour the sets much brighter than what was normal.

Fair point about watching it in 3D; the blood will look darker, more real, and the effect should overall be more impressive, but it may mean the film will lose a lot in the transition to 2D, which is how I would watch it at home on Blu-Ray afterwards (resisting 3D television, cause I don't think it will take off.)

Interesting that you use the words "more evil". I recall watching documentaries about drug abuse, and usually any addictive drug is referred to as being evil

Ok, going to veer wildly off-topic here for a moment. Heroin is usually regarded as the most "evil" drug, but AFAIK, there was never much of a problem with it until it became illegal. During the late-40s/50s, there were a few thousand registered addicts in Britain, mostly guys who'd been treated with it during the war, and who came back hooked. They got scripts for it from the NHS, so they had a steady, clean supply of heroin, and had no problems with having to pay for it.

Then there was some sort of Senate enquiry in the US which concluded that the drug was highly dangerous, and that it should be banned; later, the results of that enquiry were debunked, and it's now thought that so long as you've got a clean supply of safe quantities, you can pretty much take heroin for the whole of your life and it wouldn't be that big a deal (unlike cocaine, which is supposed to be very harmful).

But a moral panic broke out, led by tabloid newspapers, decrying the fact that people were getting this stuff from their doctors. Heroin was banned, and a black market opened up for it, as criminals saw an opportunity to make some money off the addicts there. Once they copped just how effective this product was when you got people hooked on it, they started peddling it all over the place...and now there are many, many more addicts than there used to be, mostly in very deprived areas, who end up stealing to pay for their habit, and who are sold a product of questionable quality. More overdoses, more people shooting up with dirty needles, more heroin on sale that's been cut with whatever crap was convenient for the supplier to put in there. Thanks to prohibition, we went from a minor "problem" that would probably have died off with those WW2 vets, to the endemic one we've got now.

Anyhow, that's the anti-prohibition version of events, so make of it what you will. 

Lena Heady's character might surprise you there and give you want you want. We all know woman can be more evil than men if they want, right? :).

Of course she's evil...didn't you see that scar?!!! Still pretty hot, though.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: August 4, 2012, 09:13:40 pm »
Aye, she'd still get it, scar or not.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #165 on: August 4, 2012, 10:54:59 pm »
Ok, going to veer wildly off-topic here for a moment. Heroin is usually regarded as the most "evil" drug, but AFAIK, there was never much of a problem with it until it became illegal. During the late-40s/50s, there were a few thousand registered addicts in Britain, mostly guys who'd been treated with it during the war, and who came back hooked. They got scripts for it from the NHS, so they had a steady, clean supply of heroin, and had no problems with having to pay for it.

There was a major cocaine drought in the 80s so people turned to smack without really knowing what it was.

Either way, it's ridiculously addictive and after the first few uses, the effect drops off, so it isn't even doing what you want it to any more, but you're still hooked. We've all seen smackheads, it's not a lifestyle anyone would aspire to.

I'm in favour of legalising most things, but I'd seriously hesitate before including smack in that.

But anyway, sugar is illegal in MC1, never mind heroin.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Driver 8

• ...take a break
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #166 on: August 6, 2012, 07:48:22 pm »
But anyway, sugar is illegal in MC1, never mind heroin.

Now I realise what those 17 abandoned drafts were about...Dredd takes down an illegal sugar operation, with loads of speeded-up sequences simulating sugar-rushes.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #167 on: August 6, 2012, 07:50:39 pm »
Now I realise what those 17 abandoned drafts were about...Dredd takes down an illegal sugar operation, with loads of speeded-up sequences simulating sugar-rushes.
It's Easter. And this time it's Personal.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #168 on: August 6, 2012, 08:19:52 pm »
It's Easter. And this time it's Personal.
hahaha little kid to Dredd - you shot the easter bunny! :shocked

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: August 8, 2012, 07:20:12 pm »
http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/08/07/total-recall-and-dredd-with-imdbs-keith-simanton/

IMDB editor giving his impression of Dredd here. Again, sounds very positive.

I think that of the four comic book movies that came out this year, it would be my favorite in terms of just sitting down and watching.
High praise.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #170 on: August 9, 2012, 09:30:00 pm »
Here's a factoid for you.....

The peach tree tower got its name form the peach tree pub in Shrewsbury.

The Writer John Wagner got the idea when meeting the screen writer (I think) in the pub.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Driver 8

• ...take a break
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #171 on: August 9, 2012, 10:37:09 pm »
I think that of the four comic book movies that came out this year, it would be my favorite in terms of just sitting down and watching

"Just sitting down and watching"? How did he watch the others, I wonder...standing on his chair, waving his arms about and screaming at the top of his voice? What, was he pondering the deeper meaning of The Amazing Spiderman long after the credits rolled, but Dredd he enjoyed most "just sitting and watching"? Which out of DKR and The Avengers did he consider "high art" (since he says Dredd he didn't enjoy as "high art")? Seems like a cop-out way of saying he thought Dredd better than those films, without actually coming right out and just saying it...

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 9, 2012, 11:22:43 pm »
"Just sitting down and watching"? How did he watch the others, I wonder...standing on his chair, waving his arms about and screaming at the top of his voice? What, was he pondering the deeper meaning of The Amazing Spiderman long after the credits rolled, but Dredd he enjoyed most "just sitting and watching"? Which out of DKR and The Avengers did he consider "high art" (since he says Dredd he didn't enjoy as "high art")? Seems like a cop-out way of saying he thought Dredd better than those films, without actually coming right out and just saying it...
I think he's just saying that he'd no expectations for it and it turned out to be more enjoyable for it. TDKR and the other two were massively hyped (perhaps Spiderman wasn't so much, but certainly the others were hyped and a lot expected from). There's no back story. No continuation niggles to think about; plot holes and such. With Dredd, it's just a no messing about sit down and enjoy the ride show. Then again, you could be correct. Maybe he just didn't want to piss off the Batman freaks by saying he thought it was a better film?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2012, 12:42:49 am »
It's best in terms of switching his brain off.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2012, 05:23:09 pm »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2012, 11:34:36 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jjh4ljaZ9Rs&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Jjh4ljaZ9Rs&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>

Offline Driver 8

• ...take a break
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2012, 01:48:51 pm »
New short promo, viral marketing type thing...a public service video from MC-1 on the dangers of Slo-Mo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smqAs1BZ6Mk&feature=player_detailpage.

And with that I'm not watching anything else til I'm sitting in the cinema...lot of clips coming out, and really I prefer to go into a movie with as little fore-knowledge as possible.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2012, 01:51:33 pm »
I'm supposed to watch The Siege this weekend, but I'm in two minds whether I should this close to Dredd.

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2012, 03:23:13 pm »
I'm supposed to watch The Siege this weekend, but I'm in two minds whether I should this close to Dredd.
You mean the Raid? The Siege is an old film. I've had it for ages, as soon as I heard it was maybe a Dredd rip off I havent bothered watching it.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2012, 03:39:24 pm »
You mean the Raid? The Siege is an old film. I've had it for ages, as soon as I heard it was maybe a Dredd rip off I havent bothered watching it.
Yes, The Raid. Fuck knows why I called it The Siege.

Offline se9R.F.L

• Legacy Fan
  • i fight the empire, i fix the robots.
    • imdb
« Reply #180 on: August 25, 2012, 12:01:56 pm »
A colleague of mine made the dredd suit and I saw some great pictures at lunch yesterday, including a mask off shot! Its beautiful. Really cool. The eagles are there but in a more practical form. The boots are wicked too. Really starting to look forward to this!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2012, 02:04:46 pm »
A colleague of mine made the dredd suit and I saw some great pictures at lunch yesterday, including a mask off shot! Its beautiful. Really cool. The eagles are there but in a more practical form. The boots are wicked too. Really starting to look forward to this!

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: August 26, 2012, 03:36:36 am »

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #183 on: August 26, 2012, 03:52:03 am »
Bulk, off Power Rangers I hope.

I can't get over how small Urban looks. I know nobody alive could look as huge as the comic book character, but Urban's head just looks tiny.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #184 on: August 26, 2012, 09:34:00 am »
Who's that?

It's the new Judge Dredd costume :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: August 26, 2012, 04:02:08 pm »
Bulk, off Power Rangers I hope.

I can't get over how small Urban looks. I know nobody alive could look as huge as the comic book character, but Urban's head just looks tiny.
In some shots it does. Others, I think it looks fairly dead on, like the face on shot in my avatar. It's got something to do with the shadows cast on his face from inside the helmet that makes his face look tiny. It's supposed to be like that anyway. It's a motor bike helmet and a ballistic riot police helmet. If it were any smaller it would just looks silly and defeat the purpose, so it's a bit of a catch 22 as far as the design goes. Nobody has a chin like Dredd in the comics.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2012, 07:04:33 am »
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2012, 10:23:31 pm »
Nobody has a chin like Dredd in the comics.
Thats the thing, as its the only visible part of his face its been over fetishised over the years by the different artists. Originally as we know it wasnt a massive thing. In Ezquerra's version it isnt that big a deal, as thats just the way he does chins, and thats the one that should be seen as the definitive Dredd.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #188 on: August 27, 2012, 10:30:33 pm »
I still think Stallone was close to the books.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #189 on: August 27, 2012, 10:37:30 pm »
I still think Stallone was close to the books.
Dont Carl, just dont, I'll kill you right now without a second thought, dont think I wont. :P

Stallone was Stallone, he was not Dredd, he was the same fucking dildo he plays in every film, it was not Dredd. Considering Dredd was heavily influenced by Dirty Harry, I fail to see how Stallone can even be considered to have come close with his jokey shouty Tango & Cash version. He got the persona and character completely wrong.

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #190 on: August 27, 2012, 10:52:25 pm »
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: August 28, 2012, 12:17:16 am »

For an older Dredd, he would be a fantastic choice. Probably the only choice. Voice. Chin. Stature. Acting ability. For a more stylised comic books style film, he would be ideal.

Thats the thing, as its the only visible part of his face its been over fetishised over the years by the different artists. Originally as we know it wasnt a massive thing. In Ezquerra's version it isnt that big a deal, as thats just the way he does chins, and thats the one that should be seen as the definitive Dredd.
yeah, Ezquerra's original didn't have a huge frame and a big jaw.. A lot of people, even readers of the comics, don't really know that, though.

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #192 on: August 28, 2012, 03:08:33 am »
This all looks a bit too similar to Max Payne for my liking. The drugs, slo mo & hallucination stuff etc. I like Urban and think he'll do a good job but with this coming so soon after the raid' and following a similar premise, I just can't help but think it will be very average.

In 10 years time we will still be talking about the Stallone version over this, not for positive reasons but just for it being more memorable.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2012, 04:03:16 am »
I think you're wrong.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2012, 06:53:58 am »
Dont Carl, just dont, I'll kill you right now without a second thought, dont think I wont. :P

Stallone was Stallone, he was not Dredd, he was the same fucking dildo he plays in every film, it was not Dredd. Considering Dredd was heavily influenced by Dirty Harry, I fail to see how Stallone can even be considered to have come close with his jokey shouty Tango & Cash version. He got the persona and character completely wrong.

Shut it you teabag.

I thought he did ok until he removed his helmet. I just wanna see Judge Death :)
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2012, 04:01:59 pm »
This all looks a bit too similar to Max Payne for my liking. The drugs, slo mo & hallucination stuff etc. I like Urban and think he'll do a good job but with this coming so soon after the raid' and following a similar premise, I just can't help but think it will be very average.

In 10 years time we will still be talking about the Stallone version over this, not for positive reasons but just for it being more memorable.
Not a chance. I've already seen more promise in the small clips and images alone than in the entire 2 hours of the Stallone shitfest. There is not a single memorable thing in that film. Well, maybe there are, but for all the wrong reasons. For example, Dredd's uniform in that wouldn't look out of place in the Blue Oyster Bar if you know what I mean. Mean Machine was probably the only thing that was decent. The rest, not so much. One of the reasons why I'm so glad that this new film was made was for the fact that the 1995 version was such a shocking injustice to the character and the fact that most people that seen it back then still think or assume that that is how Dredd is supposed to be and swear by it. They couldn't be more wrong. Dredd at his core best is a ruthless killing machine and a complete bastard. There was literally none of that in Stallone's version. The world was supposed to be grim, dark, scary and violent as you could imagine. Not some pristine 5th element style bullshit with PG-13 violence. In a film based on Dredd, you want to see heads explode, gore all over the shop, and a lead character that looks and behaves like he's carved out of stone. We have that in this version.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2012, 04:05:14 pm »
The thing with that post is...people weren't talking about the Stallone version ten years after it came out. Why would they be talking about it ten years from now?

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2012, 04:14:42 pm »
Any comic book recommendations? Haven't read any Dredd stuff.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: August 28, 2012, 04:30:42 pm »
The thing with that post is...people weren't talking about the Stallone version ten years after it came out. Why would they be talking about it ten years from now?
Because, like I say, to many people (kids mostly) when they think of Dredd, unfortunately they think of Stallone and his terrible portrayal of him. He's also some sort of internet meme apparently. Dredd is still a niche character. Outside of Batman, Spiderman, and all the rest of the popular comic characters, Dredd really doesn't stand much of a chance as far as education goes as to what he and 2000AD is really all about. One of the thing that drew me to it when I was a kid was the violence. There was nothing else like it I'd seen.

Try getting a torrent on Judge Dredd epics. Demonoid had them, but that place is gone now. You should probably start with Origins. It's recent, but it's as good as any story to start as it tells about how the judges came about and how Dredd and his world was formed. Necropolis is a good one, but before that read The Dead Man as it's a prologue to it. Judgement Day is another good one. There's also Judgement on Gotham, a Batman crossover. Death and the dark judges are a major part of the comics, so check out some of his earlier stories involving Anderson. I'd recently went back to reading some of those. The last time I'd read them was when I was a kid, and as a grown man I still found them to be very entertaining and often very funny. You should definitely check them out.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #199 on: August 28, 2012, 04:40:02 pm »

If you can get one of the "phone-book" reprints of the weekly stuff then just dive in. Most of the big storylines work well because they subvert the normal Dredd plot, take him out of MC-1 or raise ethical questions that he ordinarily wouldn't worry about.

That said, I'd personally recommend
The Cursed Earth, Oz, America, The Apocalypse War, The Dead Man & Necropolis.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA