Author Topic: Newsgroups thread (guide)  (Read 73691 times)

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Newsgroups thread (guide)
« Reply #200 on: March 9, 2012, 01:51:49 am »
Cheers Kash. Pm'd you.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15:44 pm »
 I have read through the entire thread and can not believe that noone has been talking about using Sickbeard and Couch Potato!!!

I use SANnzb to do the downloading but I also have it linked up to the sickbeard and couchpotato apps, by doing this all the downloading and management is done automatically without me ever having to do anything.

If you have not done already, I seriously recommend looking into these.

Sickbeard

This is ued to manage your tv shows. You add the shows that you are interested in and it will automatically download the new episodes as soon as they are available without you needing to do anything. You can configure it to only download a specific quality etc.
Once its downloaded it will unpack, move to the appropriate series folder and rename the file so that it is all organized correctly (This is good if you used things like boxee box to watch the content).
You can also get it to reorganize any existing files that you have already downloaded previously.
This works like a charm, as soon as a new show is available it is downloaded and I get sent an email to say it is done.

Couch Potato.

This is similar to sick beard but works for movies.
Basically you create a wish list of movies that you want, these can be thing that are out now are are scheduled to come out in the future. Like before, you also specify the quality (HD, SD, Cam etc).
As soon as the file with the match quality is out, it sets it off to download in SABnzb and once its downloaded moves it to your films folder all named correctly as required.   

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2012, 12:17:01 pm »
Forgot to mention that you can also get mobile apps for these so if you out and about and someone mentions a film or show to you, with a couple of taps on your phone the videos will be ready and waiting for you when you get home.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2012, 02:19:45 pm »
I use Sickbeard and CouchPotato and apart from the odd time it adds as TV show folder to the movie folder, it has been awesome.

I am on Virgin Media 100MB/s internet and I use Astraweb, what port should I ideally be using?
Currently using the EU SSL on port 443, but speeds seem slower than usual of late.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #204 on: April 25, 2012, 02:21:11 pm »
Forgot to mention that you can also get mobile apps for these so if you out and about and someone mentions a film or show to you, with a couple of taps on your phone the videos will be ready and waiting for you when you get home.

I can only get these to work when I am on my home network, so not while out and about. How do you set that up?

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
Newsgroups thread (guide)
« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2012, 02:24:34 pm »
I'm using the same as you, I suppose one thing to look at would be the periods when virgin throttle your connection speeds.

I have SAbnzb configured to run at night when it is not Being throttled, because most of the shows I watch air in the US at night that setup seems to be fine for me because they will always be ready for me in the morning.

I have not had issues with films and tv shows being mixed up because I get sick beard and clutch potato to assign tv or
Film category. sABnzb is configured to save the files for each category into a separate folder, I then have sick beard only looking at the tv folder and couch potato only looking at the film folder.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #206 on: April 25, 2012, 02:29:34 pm »
I'm using the same as you, I suppose one thing to look at would be the periods when virgin throttle your connection speeds.

I have SAbnzb configured to run at night when it is not Being throttled, because most of the shows I watch air in the US at night that setup seems to be fine for me because they will always be ready for me in the morning.

I have not had issues with films and tv shows being mixed up because I get sick beard and clutch potato to assign tv or
Film category. sABnzb is configured to save the files for each category into a separate folder, I then have sick beard only looking at the tv folder and couch potato only looking at the film folder.

I have the folders set up properly, I think it is due to Sickbeard adding (2012) to the end of Touch, so something is reading it as a film. Not a big deal in all honesty.

How did you set up SAbnzb to only run at night? Does that mean if it finds a new film at say 10PM you can set it to queue but not to actually download until 3AM?

I was told that 443 was the only port that VM wasn't throttling, will check again.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #207 on: April 25, 2012, 02:29:41 pm »
I can only get these to work when I am on my home network, so not while out and about. How do you set that up?

Currently I have only got these running on my PC. All you have to do is forward the correct ports on your router to your pcs ip address.

I think the defaults for these are

sABnzb - 8080
Sick beard - 8081
Couch potato - 5000

Obviously your pc will need to be on and it would be a good idea to make the site password reasonably strong. with that in place all you need to do then is go to you pcs external ip.
You can use various tools like dyndns to give you a dns name which lead points to your ip.

I'm looking at purchasing a synology has in the next week or so which makes this easier as it comes with its own dynamic dns tools. Plus it is much cheaper to leave on a NAS 24/7 than it is to leave on a pc.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2012, 02:31:10 pm »
holy fuck, downloaded by 4500th nzb the other day :D

Cancelled my Giganews, what i said earlier about the copyright protection is right, Astraweb is the only one fighting our dodgy cause, so signing up with them come the 1st.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #209 on: April 25, 2012, 02:32:28 pm »
I have the folders set up properly, I think it is due to Sickbeard adding (2012) to the end of Touch, so something is reading it as a film. Not a big deal in all honesty.

How did you set up SAbnzb to only run at night? Does that mean if it finds a new film at say 10PM you can set it to queue but not to actually download until 3AM?

I was told that 443 was the only port that VM wasn't throttling, will check again.

There is a schedule option in the settings. I have it to pause everything at 8am and resume everything at 12am. If sick beard or yourself queues up a new download in the mean time it will just sit there until midnight and then start downloading.

I think you are right about port 443, it's the only port I was able to get decent speeds on.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2012, 02:43:24 pm »
Currently I have only got these running on my PC. All you have to do is forward the correct ports on your router to your pcs ip address.

I think the defaults for these are

sABnzb - 8080
Sick beard - 8081
Couch potato - 5000

Obviously your pc will need to be on and it would be a good idea to make the site password reasonably strong. with that in place all you need to do then is go to you pcs external ip.
You can use various tools like dyndns to give you a dns name which lead points to your ip.

I'm looking at purchasing a synology has in the next week or so which makes this easier as it comes with its own dynamic dns tools. Plus it is much cheaper to leave on a NAS 24/7 than it is to leave on a pc.

Ah right, will look at that. Thanks.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2012, 04:07:52 pm »
Currently using the EU SSL on port 443, but speeds seem slower than usual of late.

I tend to get better speeds from the US server than the EU one.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2012, 04:24:06 pm »
I tend to get better speeds from the US server than the EU one.

Thanks Greame, will see how I go with the EU one (only just switched from the default one) then switch to US if need be.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2012, 04:28:58 pm »
I use Sickbeard and CouchPotato and apart from the odd time it adds as TV show folder to the movie folder, it has been awesome.

I am on Virgin Media 100MB/s internet and I use Astraweb, what port should I ideally be using?

I use the Virgin Media Usenet server for the latest TV programs from Sickbeard. Always gets top speed.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2012, 04:45:54 pm »
I use the Virgin Media Usenet server for the latest TV programs from Sickbeard. Always gets top speed.

Which one is that?

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2012, 05:10:53 pm »
Which one is that?

Virgin provide a Usenet server with 7+ days retention. (Apparently this has recently been increased to 30 days)

In Sabnzbd I have:

Host: news.virginmedia.com
Port: 119
Connections: 10
SSL: No

There's no username and password required. This does all my downloading from Sickbeard.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:14:53 pm by leftfooter »
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2012, 06:11:31 pm »
Virgin provide a Usenet server with 7+ days retention. (Apparently this has recently been increased to 30 days)

In Sabnzbd I have:

There's no username and password required. This does all my downloading from Sickbeard.

Ah, I have that in SABnzbd but not sure if it will take from that or astraweb first.

New to newsgroups, but a thousand times better than the other options.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2012, 07:08:27 pm »
Thanks Greame, will see how I go with the EU one (only just switched from the default one) then switch to US if need be.

If you are just using news.astraweb.com it will auto route you to the EU server anyway, you need to set it to us.news.astraweb.com to try the USA one.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2012, 01:35:16 pm »

In Sabnzbd I have:

Im all over this !!!

Online Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #219 on: July 14, 2012, 08:41:29 am »
I have found loads of files recently are missing blocks.  Having read some comments on NZBMatrix, people are saying it's Astraweb? 

Anyone else on Astra and having problems? 

Would you recommend using a different server?

Offline Anwer

• off
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: July 14, 2012, 08:56:02 am »
I have found loads of files recently are missing blocks.  Having read some comments on NZBMatrix, people are saying it's Astraweb? 

Anyone else on Astra and having problems? 

Would you recommend using a different server?

yup, i'm with astraweb and i've been encountering a lot of incomplete/missing blocks with my downloads lately.. which for some are irreparable
this is not a signature, go away

Online Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #221 on: July 14, 2012, 06:09:39 pm »
Anyone tried signing up to Maximumusenet recently?  Keeps timing out after I get to paypal and the "live" support just doesn't ever answer.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
Re: Re: Newsgroups thread (guide)
« Reply #222 on: July 14, 2012, 06:16:49 pm »
yup, i'm with astraweb and i've been encountering a lot of incomplete/missing blocks with my downloads lately.. which for some are irreparable

Same here over the last week and a bit

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 14, 2012, 06:32:11 pm »
i haven't noticed it but i have a back up server that gets me the bits that fail

in saying that it's only took down 2.1GB in six months
STFU and agree with me.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: July 14, 2012, 08:29:37 pm »
i haven't noticed it but i have a back up server that gets me the bits that fail

in saying that it's only took down 2.1GB in six months

Same here. 1MB used on my backup server this month.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: July 14, 2012, 09:41:52 pm »
14mb on mine this past month
STFU and agree with me.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 14, 2012, 11:09:58 pm »
Do you use the US or European server?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 15, 2012, 12:59:48 am »
European version
STFU and agree with me.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #228 on: July 16, 2012, 01:43:25 pm »
which primary and backup servers do you use?

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #229 on: July 16, 2012, 02:08:03 pm »
Astraweb main, blocknews as backup (lasts forever)
:D

Offline Socrates7

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #230 on: July 16, 2012, 02:35:33 pm »
Can anyone recommend a cheap or free vpn that works well with usenet? Virgin media have started throttling me.... I only get full speed after midnight.
Dalglish: "If the supporters like me, then it's only half as much as I like them."

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #231 on: July 17, 2012, 07:50:14 am »
They will throttle from 6-12ish, though this happens even on port 80 which is odd as that's the standard browser port. Not entirely sure VPN would stop the throttling, might very well be wrong though.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #232 on: July 17, 2012, 08:36:20 am »
Astraweb main, blocknews as backup (lasts forever)

Is the backups and main set up in Sabnzb+? Trying to think back

Offline Socrates7

• Main Stander
« Reply #233 on: July 17, 2012, 08:42:39 am »
They will throttle from 6-12ish, though this happens even on port 80 which is odd as that's the standard browser port. Not entirely sure VPN would stop the throttling, might very well be wrong though.

I know someone who is using vyprvpn and it works perfectly. He get full 60mb even at 6pm whereas I get 10mb max.
Dalglish: "If the supporters like me, then it's only half as much as I like them."

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #234 on: July 17, 2012, 10:51:07 am »
Ah thought throttling was done by port.

As for VPN, is it worth paying £7-10 a month just so you can download from 6-12?

Offline Socrates7

• Main Stander
« Reply #235 on: July 17, 2012, 02:28:56 pm »
Ah thought throttling was done by port.

As for VPN, is it worth paying £7-10 a month just so you can download from 6-12?

I hear you it's just so annoying is all! I can't find a cheap quality VPN so I will just set my client on a timer to download after 12.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #236 on: October 6, 2012, 12:45:32 am »
im getting fed up with astra web now, ive been trying to download a few things lately but when i download them it turns out to be txt files even know its the full download its getting. are usenets starting to get hit like torrents or something? if you dont hit astra web quickly when a download is up it gets taken off. Can somebody recommend a better usenet to go with that doesnt suffer from this caper?

thanks.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #237 on: October 6, 2012, 01:05:07 am »
All usenet is getting shut off quickly but some sites like nzbsrus are very good in reuploading quick
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #238 on: October 6, 2012, 04:54:57 am »
These takedown notices are killing usenet :(

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: October 6, 2012, 06:00:15 am »
Well, I seem to be getting everything I need on Giganews without using a secondary block account.