Author Topic: The Metal thread. Show your horns!  (Read 180743 times)

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
Re: The metal thread. Show your horns!
« Reply #200 on: November 8, 2009, 02:30:03 am »
Personally speaking, as much as I have enjoyed playing live I think the best bit about music has always been and will always be getting the 'sound' from your head and putting it onto an instrument, or into a band. I can't think of many more satisfying things than plucking a riff or a melody from the back of your mind nad putting a whole song out of it.

If you then get to play that idea live to more people then all the better, especially if it gives you the excuse to lose all your inhibitions on stage and make an arsehole out of yourself whilst hiding behind the 'eccentric muso' tag.

I need a band. A proper one, not this "record load of shit for someone else that never gets played live" shit. A straight forward, not too complex, let's go out and get shit-faced and play live, band.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #201 on: November 8, 2009, 05:39:55 am »
Personally speaking, as much as I have enjoyed playing live I think the best bit about music has always been and will always be getting the 'sound' from your head and putting it onto an instrument, or into a band. I can't think of many more satisfying things than plucking a riff or a melody from the back of your mind nad putting a whole song out of it.

If you then get to play that idea live to more people then all the better, especially if it gives you the excuse to lose all your inhibitions on stage and make an arsehole out of yourself whilst hiding behind the 'eccentric muso' tag.

I need a band. A proper one, not this "record load of shit for someone else that never gets played live" shit. A straight forward, not too complex, let's go out and get shit-faced and play live, band.
Good luck mate, hope you can find some like minded individuals and get some shit together. I've had to move into the recording my own stuff business, as there's no one about where I am that is into the sort of stuff I like to play, let alone that plays it lol. I'm very fortunate in that the drummer from my old band back in the uk is still going to be doing the drums for me, albeit long distance. It's taken some setting up, but i'm really enjoying writing now as I can write all the riffs just for myself and then send everything off to him and when it comes back it'll just need vocals....or vokills as it'll be me that's doing them ;D
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline jarg of pickled onions

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: November 8, 2009, 12:29:46 pm »
I blame Bob Rock. Metallica were already one of the premier acts of the 1980s on the back of their first four albums. When you think of how big Metallica were in the 1980s when they didn't even release a promo video until 'One' then that is some going and a testament to how good they were musically.

For me, I can understand bands wanting to try something different, I liked the Black Album inspite of it not having a brutal track on it like Blackened/Battery/Fight Fire With Fire (back in the era where it was THE LAW for all thrash albums to start with a fast a fuck track) and songs like The Unforgiven are classics. BUT..............after that, the transition to the Load era, well that's it there WAS no transition. BANG! Short hair and popstar clothes and fancy photoshoots. All of a sudden the songs become blues with distortion pedals. I've grown to like Load over the years, I think that Bleeding Me is one of their best songs, but I HATED it at the time and was dumbfounded.

Then there was the Napster thing, hanging around with Oasis etc. It was almost like they were so keen for everybody to like their music, they changed it to please everybody. Back to my first point, that's what happens when you get a glam producer involved with a thrash band.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #203 on: November 8, 2009, 02:39:24 pm »
"Sell out" as Henry Rollins once said (as no mark punks would shout it at him) is doing something you don't want to do.
In that respect Metallica, Slayer etc haven't sold out.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline jarg of pickled onions

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: November 8, 2009, 03:08:39 pm »
"Sell out" as Henry Rollins once said (as no mark punks would shout it at him) is doing something you don't want to do.
In that respect Metallica, Slayer etc haven't sold out.

But does that not depend on one's definition of doesn't want? Many people are prepared to accept options that they would not normally choose if it gets them more cash/fame/recognition. For me, the Metallica 'change' just seemed too contrived, almost as if the metal equivalent of Simon Cowell/Louis Walsh had started giving them advice on how to get their music to more people.

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #205 on: November 8, 2009, 09:22:58 pm »
Easily my favorite genre, with my favorite sub genre being Death metal- its all I usually play on my guitar. My fave bands/ most listened too off the top of my head are Death, Cynic, Opeth, Sepultura, Wolves in the throne room, Kyuss and Slayer. Thing is though I'm 19 and it feels like Ive missed out on a era, especially seeing as many of the newer bands are unappealing to me, would have been my dream to see Chuck Schuldiner live. 

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #206 on: November 9, 2009, 01:16:12 am »
Easily my favorite genre, with my favorite sub genre being Death metal- its all I usually play on my guitar. My fave bands/ most listened too off the top of my head are Death, Cynic, Opeth, Sepultura, Wolves in the throne room, Kyuss and Slayer. Thing is though I'm 19 and it feels like Ive missed out on a era, especially seeing as many of the newer bands are unappealing to me, would have been my dream to see Chuck Schuldiner live. 
Welcome N-Red, nice to see a youngun liking some good bands for a change! I fucking loved the latest Wolves in the throne room, class stuff that!
Gratitude

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #207 on: November 23, 2009, 12:39:31 am »
I do love getting extreme metal to listen to...joy to my ears it really is. Got 3 new ones the other day.

First up was Walpurgis Rites - Hexenwahn by Belphegor. I hadn't heard of this lot until i took a punt on 2008's best titled album "Bondage Goat Zombie" Flawless production, fast, heavy and nasty with a large slab of melodicness and entertaining lyrics of the anti-christian theme. Whilst yes bands are a dime a dozen with this kinda thing, very few can actually match the sheer ferocity of Belphegors death metal. This one's no different. Flays you to death with the first song, then again, then slows it down for a bit of the melodic then flays you and you end up feeling like someones been whaling on you with a crowbar...but in a good way ;D highly recommend it

second was Dark Funeral's new opus "angelus exuro pro eturnus" To be honest i could actually review this by directly quoting what i've just written for belphegor but replace death metal with black metal and you'll get the idea. It's a fucking monster and the good thing about the production is that there's a lot of atmosphere to go with the nastiness. Exccellent stuff

Third was Black Wreath's "A pyre of lost dreams" a superb slab of funeral doom from denmark, one of the few scandinavian countries that i don't have a lot of music from ;) It's slow, it's melodic, it's crushingly heavy in places both emotionally and musically and it's easily the best funeral doom album i've heard in over a year (and i've heard a few). Excellent stuff!!!
Gratitude

Offline rattusdei

• Kopite
  • Look at his face and RAGE. RAGE I say!
« Reply #208 on: November 23, 2009, 04:26:33 am »
hey guys. dragonforce rocks HARD, is there anyone here who likes Liverpool AND Dragonforce? Cause we really should play Through the fier and the flames at Anfield before the match!

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #209 on: November 23, 2009, 05:22:15 pm »
First up was Walpurgis Rites - Hexenwahn by Belphegor. I hadn't heard of this lot until i took a punt on 2008's best titled album "Bondage Goat Zombie" Flawless production, fast, heavy and nasty with a large slab of melodicness and entertaining lyrics of the anti-christian theme. Whilst yes bands are a dime a dozen with this kinda thing, very few can actually match the sheer ferocity of Belphegors death metal. This one's no different. Flays you to death with the first song, then again, then slows it down for a bit of the melodic then flays you and you end up feeling like someones been whaling on you with a crowbar...but in a good way ;D highly recommend it

Sounds pretty cool. When i get home from work, I'll try to find their myspace page. In the meantime, who do they sound like? Anything that's anti-christian must be great!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:23:53 pm by henrydk »

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #210 on: November 23, 2009, 09:11:55 pm »
Sounds pretty cool. When i get home from work, I'll try to find their myspace page. In the meantime, who do they sound like? Anything that's anti-christian must be great!
That's a really hard question.......umm. They're kind of a mix of styles really. At times they remind me of Vital Remains or Hate eternal (conquering the throne era) with their deathy viciousness, then at times i can hear some "storm of the lights bane" era dissection in them... It all depends on which song you hear :) And who you've heard before...

hey guys. dragonforce rocks HARD, is there anyone here who likes Liverpool AND Dragonforce? Cause we really should play Through the fier and the flames at Anfield before the match!
Yeeaaahhhhh I think we're alright with the tunes we've got at anfield to be honest. Every single person who comes on the board could give you a different song that they think should be played. I'm not a DF fan myself, but I can see why they appeal. They just don't do it for me, but never mind,  Rock on Tommy  :wave
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:14:31 pm by Red_Isle_Chap »
Gratitude

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #211 on: December 17, 2009, 01:38:31 pm »
Article Link
Metallica, Slayer to tour together
Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:08am EST

DETROIT (Billboard) - Heavy metal's Big Four -- Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax -- will ride together in 2010. In Europe, at least.

After weeks of rumors, the four bands have announced they'll take part in the traveling Sonisphere festival, starting June 16 in Warsaw and continuing June 19 in Prague. More Big Four Sonisphere performances are expected to be announced in the coming weeks; the festival's Web site (sonisphere.com) currently lists 15 dates, including two-night stands in Sofia, Bucharest, Istanbul, and Knebworth, U.K.

There's no word on U.S. dates for the Big Four. Slayer, who co-headlined the 2009 Mayhem Tour, and Megadeth are teaming up for a 26-date American Carnage tour of North America that kicks off January 18 in Seattle. Metallica toured extensively in 2009.

"Who would have thought that more than 25 years after its inception, thrash metal's big 4 would not only still be around and more popular than ever, but will now play together for the first time," Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich said in a statement.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: December 24, 2009, 12:31:59 pm »
Any Meshuggah-fans on here? Think they're plain brilliant. Especially 'Destroy Erase Improve' aka the birth of math metal.
What a track the opener is.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: December 24, 2009, 07:38:06 pm »
Any Protest The Hero fans in the house?

Saw 'em supporting Propagandhi at the start of the month and were awesome so decided to give 'em a go... Fuck me they're good. A little emo-ee at times but they pull it off nicely. They're incredible musicians.

Get yourselves Kezia. It took a few listens to get into it but now it's amongst my favourite albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuqbAfSs-BE

... Not off Kezia, but a cracking tune nonetheless... DO NOT BEG BEFORE ME!

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: December 25, 2009, 07:01:15 pm »
Anyone here watch Metalocalypse? Saw a couple of episodes a while back and it was quite funny.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #215 on: December 27, 2009, 11:58:00 pm »
henrydk i don't know if you have mentioned Volbeat in this thread - I haven't bothered reading the lot. Elvis Metal is prolly the best tag to put on'em! They rock. As for the Metallica gig on July 22 I was at tha every same. Brilliant performance to be honest!! Best Metallica albums ever has to be Master of Puppets and Black Album. Listening to Amon Amarth - "Amon Amarth" right now - don't really know'em that much, but they sound really great! Quite melodic I think.

Psyke Project anyone??

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Sounders til I die! www.weareecs.com
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #216 on: December 28, 2009, 04:34:40 am »
Anyone here watch Metalocalypse? Saw a couple of episodes a while back and it was quite funny.
I love Metalocalypse.

Toki is great.
The bluest skies you’ve ever seen are in Seattle- And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle-
Like a beautiful child, growing up, free an’ wild- Full of hopes an’ full of fears, full of laughter, full of tears-
Full of dreams to last the years, in Seattle- in Seattle!

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #217 on: December 28, 2009, 12:36:11 pm »
@Bennekov
I'm not a Volbeat fan at all, but i still think they have done a lot for danish metal over the last couple of years. I work in a record store and Volbeat have indeed increased the interest in metal here in Denmark.
Now i am really looking forward to the new band "The Kandidate" debutalbum. www.myspace.com/thekandidate It's former leadsinger of Hatesphere Jacob Bredahl's new project and it sounds pretty good. 

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #218 on: December 28, 2009, 10:51:33 pm »
hatesphere were fucking great when i saw them a few years ago, i've lost track of them since then though. I'll check out The Kandidate when i get home from work.

I'm only looking forward to 2 releases in 2010 at the moment and that's the new albums from Dark Fortress and Shining. Top, top black metal done fucking properly!
Gratitude

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: December 28, 2009, 11:54:22 pm »
@Bennekov
I'm not a Volbeat fan at all, but i still think they have done a lot for danish metal over the last couple of years. I work in a record store and Volbeat have indeed increased the interest in metal here in Denmark.
Now i am really looking forward to the new band "The Kandidate" debutalbum. www.myspace.com/thekandidate It's former leadsinger of Hatesphere Jacob Bredahl's new project and it sounds pretty good. 

I'll have a look at that soon! :D

Offline henrydk

• Main Stander
« Reply #220 on: December 29, 2009, 09:32:43 am »
My next concert will be at Posten in Odense. Mnenic vs. F.U.K.T vs. Psyke Project, but that's on the 19th of feb. I'm coming over to watch the Everton and Arse game in the start of february, so in january i have to save up. Maybe i'll catch Machine Head on the 3. feb. in Copenhagen the day before we fly and find a place to crash.
Is anybody going to Wacken? Cannibal Corpse, Immortal, Iron Maiden, Slayer.... F****** hell! Some great bands this year so far!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:59:50 am by henrydk »

Offline YouthGoneWild

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: December 29, 2009, 11:46:19 am »
Is anybody a Rammstein fan? I absolutely love their music but I must say I'm kinda disappointed with their latest album, there isn't a single track that really got me hooked, probably 'Waidmanns Heil' and 'Haifisch' are the only notable ones, I find the work of the two guitarists quite poor, they didn't manage to compose any very catchy riffs like those of the previous albums. It seems it's selling well though, so I guess the rest of the fans disagrees with me.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: December 29, 2009, 01:15:28 pm »
My next concert will be at Posten in Odense. Mnenic vs. F.U.K.T vs. Psyke Project, but that's on the 19th of feb. I'm coming over to watch the Everton and Arse game in the start of february, so in january i have to save up. Maybe i'll catch Machine Head on the 3. feb. in Copenhagen the day before we fly and find a place to crash.
Is anybody going to Wacken? Cannibal Corpse, Immortal, Iron Maiden, Slayer.... F****** hell! Some great bands this year so far!

I've got no plans for any upcoming concerts apart from Rammstein in Copenhagen in June (at 10-Øren). Where are Maiden playing?? It could be fun (in a partylike way) to go to Gigantium, Aalborg to see kiss in June as well.  ;D

Is anybody a Rammstein fan? I absolutely love their music but I must say I'm kinda disappointed with their latest album, there isn't a single track that really got me hooked, probably 'Waidmanns Heil' and 'Haifisch' are the only notable ones, I find the work of the two guitarists quite poor, they didn't manage to compose any very catchy riffs like those of the previous albums. It seems it's selling well though, so I guess the rest of the fans disagrees with me.

I like Rammstein and I must admit I feel kind of like you. Went to their gigs 2 weeks ago in Copenhagen. Not very impressed to say the least. Their keyboard player had gone to the hospital the night before, so they had a stand in which showed all the way throught the show. Just wasn't what it normally is at their gigs (seen them 5 times now)...

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2010, 05:45:17 pm »
I saw Machine Head last night at the Brixton Academy (Black Procession Tour), with Hatebreed, Bleeding Through and All Shall Perish in support.

It was a great show, nothing totally out of this world, but just a pretty solid outing from Machine Head, didn't know much about the other bands before last night to be fair.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2010, 06:05:55 pm »
whats metal. when i started to listen to ' heavy metal ' iron maiden were the band to listen to. doesnt seem to be that heavy now-a-days.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 19, 2010, 06:42:26 pm »
whats metal. when i started to listen to ' heavy metal ' iron maiden were the band to listen to. doesnt seem to be that heavy now-a-days.
I don't know if it's any heavier or less heavy these days, but as I was being drenched in the rain queueing up last night, looking around I can definitely say the 'metal crowd' has changed (in appearance at least) from those days.

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2010, 07:30:42 pm »
NWOBHM. Maiden rule. they were the Hendrix of metal.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2010, 08:18:36 pm »
NWOBHM. Maiden rule. they were the Hendrix of metal.
Oh you had Venom, Saxon, Maiden and later bands like Leppard, diverse in sound and approach to music, it definitely had a genuine feel to it.

These days I think you'll see bands trying to 'capture' the metal tag as opposed to earning/living it, not sure if that makes sense, but it's like 'we'll call ourselves some ancient druid latin name, or have some wizards because you know that's what metal bands do'.

Not to say there aren't any good bands at all these days, but the landscape has changed a lot, in London for example the venues or their identities are gone, no more Marquee, no more Astoria, no more Town and Country Club (now HMV forum ?), last night's venue is now the O2 Academy, with the front row of a section in the upper circle all empty for the whole night because it had some "Reserved" tag on it and whoever it was never showed up !. So, as with all things these days a corporate element has crept in.

The crowd is more Emo, sk8ter punk 'passed my maths A Levels last week' with only bits of old schoolers dotted around   :rollseyes

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: February 19, 2010, 08:51:18 pm »
TipTopKop good post. i will say i fucking hate oasis i hate emo etc. what i mean is i just dont like the music. altho with nirvana it may be different.  too many kids following the trend i think. i like slipknot. not for the musical side of it but the pure passion involved. its a hard one to nail.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: February 19, 2010, 10:21:16 pm »

I know this is really, really old, but I feel the need to mention that I know a girl who has nailed Sam Totnotasgoodashermanli and, much more importantly, Dragonforce are cringingly bad live and live up to the Studioforce tag extremely well. Here's a tip for musicians out there - don't write shit that you can only play in the studio after 56 takes. Play stuff you can pull off live and not make yourself look like a dolt.

Harvest Fields - there's plenty of good metal around these days but you have to dig, dig and dig for it. I remember going to see Evile when they played with my mates band years ago, and that was in a shitty, tiny little club in Huddersfield somewhere. If you work hard enough and you're not arseholes you can still get somewhere by being old school. Evile were well on their way before their bassist passed away, and are picking it up again now. Check 'em out.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #230 on: February 19, 2010, 10:28:13 pm »
Cant wait for the new Motorhead album due this year. Plus "Lemmy: The Movie" is out soon as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjYNRvQSMgQ

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:30:40 pm by Mr Kipling »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2010, 11:41:45 pm »
Oh you had Venom, Saxon, Maiden and later bands like Leppard, diverse in sound and approach to music, it definitely had a genuine feel to it.

These days I think you'll see bands trying to 'capture' the metal tag as opposed to earning/living it, not sure if that makes sense, but it's like 'we'll call ourselves some ancient druid latin name, or have some wizards because you know that's what metal bands do'.

Not to say there aren't any good bands at all these days, but the landscape has changed a lot, in London for example the venues or their identities are gone, no more Marquee, no more Astoria, no more Town and Country Club (now HMV forum ?), last night's venue is now the O2 Academy, with the front row of a section in the upper circle all empty for the whole night because it had some "Reserved" tag on it and whoever it was never showed up !. So, as with all things these days a corporate element has crept in.

The crowd is more Emo, sk8ter punk 'passed my maths A Levels last week' with only bits of old schoolers dotted around   :rollseyes

May I suggest listening to icelandic band, Sólstafir? Started out as a deathmetal band, but has turned into a strange thing between Queens of the Stone Age / Monster Magnet playing Sigúr Ros on coke. It has a very atmospheric sound to it as well. Hard to describe but have a listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IEC2FhnFPs&feature=related or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaKpvzvmNOI&feature=related

If you like Danzig or Misfits maybe the danish band Volbeat (Elvis Metal I call it...) could interest you... :D Have a listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mV_HHL-h6g or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRu5S_9p_F4&feature=related

Feedback would be welcome... :D

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: February 19, 2010, 11:58:35 pm »
May I suggest listening to icelandic band, Sólstafir? Started out as a deathmetal band, but has turned into a strange thing between Queens of the Stone Age / Monster Magnet playing Sigúr Ros on coke. It has a very atmospheric sound to it as well. Hard to describe but have a listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IEC2FhnFPs&feature=related or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaKpvzvmNOI&feature=related

If you like Danzig or Misfits maybe the danish band Volbeat (Elvis Metal I call it...) could interest you... :D Have a listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mV_HHL-h6g or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRu5S_9p_F4&feature=related

I'll give those a go for sure, thanks for that

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #233 on: February 20, 2010, 05:49:32 am »

I'll have to check out the first one. I wasn't into Volbeat when i heard them though, although that was only 1 song and I was drunk

I'm a happy boy today, new Borknagar and even better the return of an utter legend! New Burzum! I've heard some of it and for anyone who knows them it's a straight follow on from Filosofem (which was a blindingly good album)

Varg's a twat, he's got twatish views, but Burzum are one of the few bands that got me into black metal waaaay back when, so i'm still going to get it and I bet you I enjoy it as well.

New motorhead should be interesting. I really liked Inferno and Kiss of death, heard the one after it and wasn't so keen.

Harvest, Maiden still fucking kick the shit out of most metal bands these days, they're utterly amazing, still, after all this time. There's no musical side to slipknot, might as well tune your guitar to a chord and just chug away. Seen them live twice and while yes, they're entertaining, musically they're really, really bad (not the worst, but well down the ladder for me) but fair play to them, they got rich from making a gimmick and songs with hooks that get the kids into them. Can't fault them for that. There were still some good venues before I left in 2006 in London, not sure if their still there. Camden Underworld is one of the best, as is the Garage (when i remember where it is, i'll give an edit) and the forum in kentish town was always good.

Evile are pretty good Juan, I checked them out after you suggested them to me ages ago. I'm sure if things pay off for all the hardworking non assholes these days. Seems to me like you've actually got to be a total asshole to make it big and stay there, no matter what kind of metal you play.

Gratitude

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: February 20, 2010, 08:05:46 am »
im into edguy and stratovarious at the moment. dunno why but i like it. dragonforce i used to listen to but after watching them live, and sounding like gash, i kinda went off them. cheers for the tip juan. you are right there are some good bands out there, it just needs ppl to give them a mention. saying that im getting back into metallica. i went off them after load. but was recording orion for a cover cd im doin for a friend and started getting back into the back catalogue.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #235 on: February 20, 2010, 11:08:11 pm »
im into edguy and stratovarious at the moment. dunno why but i like it. dragonforce i used to listen to but after watching them live, and sounding like gash, i kinda went off them. cheers for the tip juan. you are right there are some good bands out there, it just needs ppl to give them a mention. saying that im getting back into metallica. i went off them after load. but was recording orion for a cover cd im doin for a friend and started getting back into the back catalogue.
For christs sake don't listen to anything past 1990......
Gratitude

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2010, 09:06:48 am »
I'll have to check out the first one. I wasn't into Volbeat when i heard them though, although that was only 1 song and I was drunk

You should give'em a try - they rock really good! I can tell from the other bands you listen to, that they might not be the kind of metal you listen to, but give it a try... :D

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2010, 09:16:32 am »
anything up to and inc the black album is where i stop. Load was a Load of imo. cant beat Master Of Puppets, Justice ahs a couple of good tracks and of course Kill Em All for that old school metal :).  altho i have been working on Judas Priests Ram It Down. some awesome solos in that. fucking love metal :)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2010, 09:20:03 am »
anything up to and inc the black album is where i stop. Load was a Load of imo. cant beat Master Of Puppets, Justice ahs a couple of good tracks and of course Kill Em All for that old school metal :).  altho i have been working on Judas Priests Ram It Down. some awesome solos in that. fucking love metal :)

You should give "Death Magnetic" a go, mate! Metallica are sounding like in the good old days on that album!! :D

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2010, 09:58:24 am »
people keep raving about that album. cant be any worse than megadeths new one. endgame. yup it should be. headcrusher is about the only decent song.