Author Topic: Comic books, graphic novels, and so on  (Read 56941 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Comic books, graphic novels, and so on
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2010, 07:37:29 pm »

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2010, 09:40:21 pm »
That shit is it?

Flopping at the box office is no indication of the quality of any film (or music, or other type of art for that matter) though is it?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2010, 09:48:24 pm »
Flopping at the box office is no indication of the quality of any film (or music, or other type of art for that matter) though is it?
Nope, its the Bladerunner syndrome, the suits will now drop support for the film, which means cutting the amount of theatres its put into and slashing the advertising budget to death. With less screenings and very little promotion they make it a flop, they judge it a flop on the basis of returns, it has to make a profit not simply make its budget back, if its a good film or not doesnt even enter into it.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2010, 09:59:34 am »
Disappointing, but it will end up being a cult hit on DVD, just like Edgar Wright's other two movies.

Very true, i'll probably watch this at least once every week once it comes out on dvd.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2010, 07:05:54 pm »
Very true, i'll probably watch this at least once every week once it comes out on dvd.

Have you seen it? I'm guessing it's good?

As has been said, first weekend gross is not indicative of quality in anyway, it's word of mouth that affects the gross in the long run (see Inception's steady takings from the public's overwhelmingly positive response, whereas most blockbusters drop off very steeply). I think the few people who did see it this week are the hardcore nerds/fans who will praise it loads which will helpfully encourage others to go so it might have legs.

I think marketing has been pretty poor too, they didn't show the face of the lead actor in the posters and the trailers basically screamed "this is for geeks only"
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:56:03 pm by Rusty Oysterburger »
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2010, 10:31:58 pm »
Why you shouldn’t read too much into the Scott Pilgrim and Kick-Ass box office totals

The comments for that article sum it up perfectly in my opinion. Although there is the hope that DVD sales may salvage face for Scott Pilgrim, the studios will see a poor result in the box office and as such a poor return. It is disappointing because here is a Director that has created a film in what looks a very novel way. I guess it did look a bit too nerdy.

I wouldn't really give the yanks much time of day because they don't know what good looks like, but in terms of cinema, its their box office that matters. Unfortunately.

Well, at least we can make do with the utter shit that is Iron Man, Superman and all the other shitty comic book movies they make, which is practically most of them.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2010, 12:12:05 am »
Yea except Universal said this today in response to said internet comments.

"Regardless of the perceived outcome, we are proud of this film and our relationship with the visionary and creative filmmaker Edgar Wright. Studios need to continue to offer audiences good and original ideas/films. Edgar has created a truly unique film that is both envelope pushing and genre bending and when examined down the road will be identified as an important piece of filmmaking. We have always been aware of the challenges of broadening this film to a mainstream audience. We do wish a greater number of people went to see the film but hope that people will still make the effort to see this wonderful film."

This is Edgar Wright’s largest opening weekend for a movie – beating out Shaun of the Dead (just over $3 million, and entering at #7th overall that weekend), and Hot Fuzz (just under $6 million, and entering at #6th overall). Eventually Hot Fuzz went on to take $80 million.

It's too early to make any real judgement on it yet and you should really knock the generalisations about Americans on the head.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:41:26 am by Uhoh AureliOs »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2010, 12:21:53 am »
Imo they made a big mistake releasing it on the same weekend as Expendables anyway, fuck all has come out for the last two weeks, why couldn't they just pick one of those dates?

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2010, 02:52:05 am »
Have you seen it? I'm guessing it's good?

As has been said, first weekend gross is not indicative of quality in anyway, it's word of mouth that affects the gross in the long run (see Inception's steady takings from the public's overwhelmingly positive response, whereas most blockbusters drop off very steeply). I think the few people who did see it this week are the hardcore nerds/fans who will praise it loads which will helpfully encourage others to go so it might have legs.

I think marketing has been pretty poor too, they didn't show the face of the lead actor in the posters and the trailers basically screamed "this is for geeks only"

Yeah I have, also saw the Expendables and Inception on the same day and I can safely say that for me, Scott Pilgrim is the one I'll want to watch over and over and over again. Edgar Wright was perfect for this kind of film, he just gets it. To take a comic like Scott Pilgrim, and put it on the big screen, and to retain that epicness and not reduce it to some shitty cliche romcom with action scenes, and to keep the frenetic pace all throughout the film, just brilliant. Helps that the casting is pretty much spot on.

That's not to say it's perfect, there's still stuff that bothers me, but fuck impatient studio execs who just want instant gratification. Cult hit baby.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2010, 10:23:46 am »
I'm confident Scott Pilgrim will do much better once it hits worldwide cinemas. People are more likely to treat it as it is - a fun popcorn flick with lots of action, humor and romance without obsessing over geek / hipster / nerd cred and irrational Michael Cera hate like a lot of Americans are doing. I've seen a lot of resistance to the movie from them simply because they've been told they will like it. But great to hear that Universal's supporting it, my favourite studio ever since they made Serenity.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:29:32 am by Finn Solomon »
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2010, 12:18:28 pm »
Yeah I have, also saw the Expendables and Inception on the same day and I can safely say that for me, Scott Pilgrim is the one I'll want to watch over and over and over again. Edgar Wright was perfect for this kind of film, he just gets it. To take a comic like Scott Pilgrim, and put it on the big screen, and to retain that epicness and not reduce it to some shitty cliche romcom with action scenes, and to keep the frenetic pace all throughout the film, just brilliant. Helps that the casting is pretty much spot on.

That's not to say it's perfect, there's still stuff that bothers me, but fuck impatient studio execs who just want instant gratification. Cult hit baby.

Great to hear, I've been on a couple of American movie forums and it's practically 100% praise for the film. Next Wednesday can't come quick enough. Finished reading the last book recently and it was greatness, one of my favourite comics of all time now. I know the film was written before Vol. 6 so I imagine there will be some surprises.

To be honest, is anyone here that bothered about box office takings? Unless you're a shareholder at Universal who cares as long as we get an awesome film out of it?

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2010, 12:48:10 pm »
It's worrying in that great original creative efforts will be less likely to get greenlit in the future in favour of Michael Bay's Things blowing up while you watch.

The Idiocracy scene where a film about an arse that farts for hours winning eight Oscars comes to mind.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2010, 01:18:28 pm »
It's worrying in that great original creative efforts will be less likely to get greenlit in the future in favour of Michael Bay's Things blowing up while you watch.

The Idiocracy scene where a film about an arse that farts for hours winning eight Oscars comes to mind.

But that won’t stop original films being made, just ones with large budgets. Studios have always made concessions to more artistic directors to allow them to make their films and it doesn’t really matter if it doesn’t make shitloads of money as their big tentpole pictures, well, prop up the studio. The more they support the smaller films the more chance the exciting new directors will be willing to come and work for them. So funnily enough, Transformers 3 making a billion quid will allow more smaller/indie films to be made.

Besides, Edgar Wright made one the best films I’ve ever seen for less than three quarters of the budget for Pilgrim so him being reigned in a bit on his next film isn’t a problem for me.

Again, in five years no-one will give a flying fuck about the takings for Scott Pilgrim, I’m almost certain it will be a healthy cult hit and we’ll still have an amazing film to watch.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2010, 01:21:25 pm »
But that won’t stop original films being made, just ones with large budgets. Studios have always made concessions to more artistic directors to allow them to make their films and it doesn’t really matter if it doesn’t make shitloads of money as their big tentpole pictures, well, prop up the studio. The more they support the smaller films the more chance the exciting new directors will be willing to come and work for them. So funnily enough, Transformers 3 making a billion quid will allow more smaller/indie films to be made.

Besides, Edgar Wright made one the best films I’ve ever seen for less than three quarters of the budget for Pilgrim so him being reigned in a bit on his next film isn’t a problem for me.

Again, in five years no-one will give a flying fuck about the takings for Scott Pilgrim, I’m almost certain it will be a healthy cult hit and we’ll still have an amazing film to watch.

I didn't think of it that way. I suppose you're right, although I would say that studio execs don't really look at comic book films as being artistic projects but more of a 'summer blockbuster'.

Agree about Edgar Wright though, the man is amazing. Can't wait to see what he does next, apparently it's going to be Ant-Man.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline lookieman

• Kopite
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2010, 05:30:30 pm »
Sooo, back to comic books, will any of yous gents recommend reading the DC Final Crisis series?

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2010, 05:41:23 pm »
Sooo, back to comic books, will any of yous gents recommend reading the DC Final Crisis series?

I bought it. Here's what you need to know.

1. It won't make sense unless you have an extensive knowledge of the DC universe as a whole. Obscure characters doesn't even begin to cut it.

2. It won't make sense unless you buy the collected version, either in hardcover or trade. The single issues leave out a key Superman detour that plays a huge part in the finale.

3. It's a Grant Morrison work, so be prepared for lots of metaphysical stuff about the nature of storytelling and whatever.

4. It begins immediately after Countdown to Final Crisis and Batman R.I.P., and you should ideally have read both of them before reading Final Crisis.

Couldn't understand what was going on the first read through, but it got better after some time.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2010, 02:15:52 pm »
New article up on IGN about X-Men First Class, it's now being seen as a hopeful reboot rather than a prequel to the Singer films, and because they couldn't sign Aaron Johnson up as Cyclops they've decided not to use the character altogether now. Whilst being a bit controversial, it's potentially a good idea, as this will have Xavier before his accident and so he'll be the main field leader instead, so it gives him the development he didn't really get in the previous 3 films.

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2010, 02:57:50 pm »
Got my hands on volumes 1-5 of Neil Gaiman's Sandman, looking forward to reading them.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2010, 02:59:35 pm »
Got my hands on volumes 1-5 of Neil Gaiman's Sandman, looking forward to reading them.

Awesome awesome series!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2010, 08:04:06 pm »
Well my anticipation for X Men: First Class just jumped up

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS IS A SILVER AGE MOVIE!

Nothing I am about to write makes sense to me on a Hollywood business level, but it sounds utterly delightful on a moviegoer level:

X-Men: First Class will be set in the 60s.

Harry Knowles talked to producer Bryan Singer about the prequel, which Matthew Vaughn is shooting London, and spilled the beans that the film will be set during the era that Marvel was originally publishing the first comics. Expect to see Professor X walking and with a head of hair, and to watch as he and Magneto form the X-Men. The bad guys will be the Hellfire Club, with Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw. Knowles, who provides no direct quotes from Singer (which is kind of frustrating), keeps using 'James Bond' as a descriptor - I'm imagining he's talking about the style and fashion of the Sean Connery Bond films.

According to Knowles, the costumes will be closer to comic book costumes than any other in recent film history. The team will be big, and there are more characters joining who we don't yet know about, but there will not be a Scott Summers or a Jean Grey.

I guess those two are missing because we already saw how they joined the team, and Vaughn's film seems to be trying to maintain some rough and weird continuity with the previous films, and with X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I don't know how anybody at Fox thinks that a superhero movie set in the 60s will be a hit, since they turned down Peyton Reed's vision for a 1963-set Fantastic Four, but fuck it, I'm just happy it's happening (although honestly I'd rather see a Silver Age FF film; the X-Men didn't really hit their strides as characters until the 70s anyway, and the early, failed run of the book isn't my favorite).

I can't wait to get a look at these costumes. I've heard that the film is moving forward without a really solid script - not that surprising considering how quick the turnaround on this has been - but I hope that Vaughn's vision is strong enough to make it work.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/24914/1/X-MEN-FIRST-CLASS-IS-A-SILVER-AGE-MOVIE/Page1.html

This is sort of incredible, never in a million years would I have thought Fox Studios would pay for a a 1960's set X Men film with the Hellfire Club as the baddies. It will more than likely bomb commercially but I can't wait.

The last Wolverine film was amazingly bad so they can only get better, ignoring that film and it's continuity is a good start.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2010, 08:06:28 pm »
I doubt they would have been able to get a director like Vaughn to helm the film, without having to give up plenty of control to him.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #182 on: August 22, 2010, 02:11:55 pm »
Has anyone read Avengers Disassembled? And is it any good?

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2010, 05:17:32 pm »
What's the point of having a Silver Age X-Men movie without either Cyclops or Marvel Girl?
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2010, 06:39:51 pm »
They should cameo at the end 8)

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2010, 07:06:22 pm »
They should cameo at the end 8)
Word up!
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2010, 08:06:15 pm »
Hahahahahaaa, have a look at the pictures from these Spider-Man musical starting on Broadway soon, absolutely hilariously bad. This is going to bomb massively...maybe someone is actually trying a "Springtime for Hitler" scam?

http://www.badassdigest.com/2010/11/15/spider-man-musical-looks-to-be-most-exciting-disaster-in-years

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #187 on: March 9, 2011, 10:05:12 am »
What's everyone reading at the moment? I've been catching up on lots of older stuff, can anyone recommend something current? I might check out some Marvel stuff, see how Spiderman/Xmen are doing these days, is that a good idea?

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: March 9, 2011, 10:21:02 am »
LMS finally arrived for me last thursday, bloody brilliant. Paramount have bought the rights to make a film adaptation before the first volume is even out, gonna be a massive hit.

EDIT: Just looked at the previous page, and at the bottom is my hype post for LMS. In August! Took so long to come to me. Great book though.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2011, 10:27:18 am by OsirisMVZ »

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: March 9, 2011, 06:28:23 pm »
I'm reading Air by G Willow Wilson. Nice whimsical story.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: March 9, 2011, 06:42:35 pm »
Haha, just seeing those Spiderman stills, read something recently about one of the people in charge getting the sack, it's been delayed a bunch of times, people been injured, fucking shambles.

Offline Skuzzlebutt

• Legacy Fan
  • Hulk share opinion!!
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2011, 12:50:27 pm »
Hmmm didn't know this thread was here.

Just thought I'd share what I'm reading right now.

Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern Emerald Warriors

Justice League of America

Batman incorporated

The Flash

Black Panther

Daredevil Reborn

Kick Ass 2

Superior

I think that's it.  There's a big summer Green Lantern story arc coming up; War of the Green Lanterns and all the preludes are coming out now, it promises to be very good.

I'm enjoying Mark Millar and Andy Diggle right now from the UK although Frankie Boyle and Johnathon Ross are doing Comics now and are very popular (not got round to them yet).

Other big news is the Death of Spiderman series coming out.  The Fantastic 4 losing a member (try getting a first edition of that comic, it's like rocking horse shit), and Venom having a makeover:

Less Animal and more man now.

If you want a laugh follow Stan Lee on Twitter, he's nuts lol
We're gonna win the league-omiter

[00.........................................................]

V5. 2013 edition.  Optimism levels rusted solid.  We're givin' her all she's got Captain!!!

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2011, 03:23:53 pm »
Having been out of work for a while I haven't had the luxury to purchase any grpahic novels for sometime. However I'm now working and use to love comics/graphic novels when I was younger. So where should I start? I've only really read superhero (spider-man, x-men etc.) and Star Wars (Legacy) comics before.

Also anyone here read Green Lantern: Rebirth? May look into getting that.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: March 11, 2011, 07:50:32 am »
Rebirth is a good little story, worth getting if you're into the GL Corps.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline lookieman

• Kopite
« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2011, 02:50:46 pm »
Just got around to reading Y- The Last Man and Lucifer. Brilliant. Any others from Vertigo that's worth a gander? I've read Preacher, some issues of the Sandman and Fables.

Also, ipad is really made for reading comics.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: March 23, 2011, 02:52:56 pm »
Fables is quite good. I also like DMZ and Scalped.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #196 on: March 24, 2011, 05:22:54 pm »
Just bought a load of DC JLA from late 70's early 80's. Also reading Green Lantern/Green Arrow by Neal Admas and co, where they take off on tour around america tackling moralistic storylines, quite refreshing and something they wouldnt do now.

Also playing DCUO online which is quite good on PS3
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Skuzzlebutt

• Legacy Fan
  • Hulk share opinion!!
« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2011, 01:07:24 pm »
Guys if you haven't read the 'Criminal' series by Ed Brubaker then seriously go and get it.  I bought the deluxe copy from Amazon and it is nothing short of spectacular.  Great characters, great stories, it's like Sin City but with more realism and grit.  It's well worth a look.
We're gonna win the league-omiter

[00.........................................................]

V5. 2013 edition.  Optimism levels rusted solid.  We're givin' her all she's got Captain!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2011, 01:28:24 pm »
That reminds me, everyone should read Brubaker's 'Incognito' as well. The set up is a supervillain in witness protection but done with Brubaker's typical style, toughness and wit.

It's awesome.

Offline thechulloran

• Legacy Fan
Re: Comics / graphic novels
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2011, 03:05:38 pm »
Joe Sacco's Safe Area: Gorazde

borrowed this from the library, I highly recommend it
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists" - Tom Hicks