Author Topic: The Wire for Newbies and Those Still Watching... No spoilers  (Read 355924 times)

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
Re: The Wire
« Reply #200 on: March 5, 2008, 07:24:17 pm »
I answered my prayers  :P

Just started downloading the last episode. Everyone says it is real

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4063573/The.Wire.Season.5.Episode.10

:wave

Why does that take me to the ebay front page?  ???

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #201 on: March 6, 2008, 01:37:57 am »
Why does that take me to the ebay front page?  ???

that's what happened when I clicked on realtarragona's link too. (I thought he was playing a joke on me)

Anyways, just got a couple of blunts and a six pack. GOing to watch it after the Raptors game and cry when it is all said and done
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #202 on: March 6, 2008, 09:26:29 pm »
Done.

Just amazon'd season 1 for my sorry ass self. Y'all better not have been wrong.

Actually, what swung me was a few beers last weekend with a mate I hadn't see for a while. This guy likes sports, and possibly game shows, but I wouldn't have had him pegged for a serious tv shows type guy. So when he said that The Wire would "change my life", I thought, hmm.

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #203 on: March 7, 2008, 06:02:40 am »
This is the best show I've ever watched.  My mate got me into Season 1 just before christmas and I've knocked off every episode bar the last one since then (god bless Uni and not getting up early).  Just finished S5 Ep9 (2nd best after S4 finale) and finally found Ep10 online.  Feel like an addict waiting for a fix.

Spoiler
Going to be a strange call, but my favourite character over the whole run of the show is probably Boadie.  You almost see him grow up infront of you and go from a bit of a violent thug to running his own corner.  The scene at the end of S4 where Poot almost begs him to run from Chris and Snoop but he refuses because "it's all [he's] ever been, so [he's] gonna fight to protect it" really gripped me and put a face on the dealers.

Mentions also go to Ziggy (remember the duck?), Cutty (the transformation he undergoes), Carver (another character who matures with us) and of course, Bunk (who is simply a legend).
[close]

However, to single out any paricular roll too much would be doing a massive disservice to the cast, who are excelent.

Offline Rorus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #204 on: March 7, 2008, 03:54:55 pm »
Brilliant. Best 60 odd hours of tv I've had the privilage of watching.

And what a treat! The return of the most attractive woman in the whole show, the lovely Shardene (Lester you tricky devil!).

Dope on the mutha fuckin table.
"Give evil nothing to oppose, and it will disappear by itself" Tao Teh King

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #205 on: March 7, 2008, 05:48:52 pm »
A timely reminder that S4 is out soon; good write up from Empire.

Consider yourself very lucky. Why? Because chances are, like the vast majority of the population, you have never actually watched an episode of HBO’s The Wire. As a result of this oversight, you now have the indescribable pleasure of being able to watch the first four seasons of this exquisite show for the very first time. And if you’re already a member of the regrettably exclusive club of existing fans, then this DVD release of the fourth season is a perfect excuse to watch every glorious minute all over again in preparation for the fifth and final season, currently airing in the States.

Created by former Baltimore crime reporter David Simon and co-written by former Baltimore homicide detective Ed Burns, The Wire is an unflinchingly authentic portrayal of the city’s crime-riddled backstreets. Far from your run-of-the-mill police drama, it spreads its sympathies across both sides of the legal divide, its bravura ensemble covering a spectrum of perspectives from police brass to drug dealers via addicts, dock workers and the politicos inside City Hall. But despite the ranks of different characters, none feel less than meticulously drawn, their motivations, flaws and character quirks clearly thought out and their speech bubbling over with initially bewildering street patois. The result is a genuine, ground-level view
of life on the city streets, with the inhabitants going about daily business both mundane and illicit.

Simon previously attempted to bring Baltimore to the screen in the critically acclaimed Homicide: Life On The Street. While producing what was arguably the most believable show of its genre at the time, Simon clashed with NBC over the show’s bleak outlook, and felt unable to achieve the honesty he was looking for within the strictures of network television. The Wire suffers no such limitations. The relative freedom of HBO allowed Simon to explore his subject matter uncensored, sugar-coatings peeled away for a more accepting cable audience. But to mistake authenticity for pessimism would be to miss the point entirely. Simon and Burns are not interested in painting a hopeless picture of a city gone to hell. They instead manage to draw out the hopes and aspirations of people in every layer of the social strata, regardless of whether their ultimate goal is to bring down a drug kingpin or earn enough pushing dimebags to keep meals on the table.

The first three seasons grounded themselves in the meticulous process of building a criminal case from the ground up - generally involving the eponymous wire tap. Season 4, however, sees a marked shift, dialling back the police perspective and shifting primary focus to the corner kids who serve as foot soldiers in the dealers’ urban armies. Disgraced detective ‘Prez’ Pryzbylewski (Jim True-Frost) returns, having turned in his badge and gun for a job teaching at the local high school. Meanwhile, former police major ‘Bunny’ Colvin (Robert Wisdom) has become similarly invested in shaping young minds, joining an experimental programme to separate the corner kids from the less disruptive ‘stoop kids’.

If previous years have been a study of the drug trade and the socio-political implications of trying to curb it, this season is a harsh look at the failings of the public school system. The kids themselves are a broad cross-section of disaffected teenagers, from the bookish Duquan (Jermaine Crawford), whose crackhead parents sell his clothes for drug money, to the posturing Namond (Julito McCullum), whose mother practically forces him to sling drugs on the corners just to keep her in bling and dye-jobs. Elsewhere, Councilman Tommy Carcetti (Aidan Gillen) sets out on a dogged campaign to unseat Mayor Royce (Glynn Turman) from office; Marlo Stanfield (Jamie Hector) has taken over the former Barksdale turf, and Jimmy McNulty (Dominic West) has taken a voluntary demotion to a life on the beat.

This has been one of the best-kept secrets on television for the past five years, but The Wire is more than just the greatest show you’ve never seen. This isn’t a series preoccupied with bringing its audience excitement, though it frequently does, nor does it try too hard to be clever, though it undeniably is. Rather, what Burns and Simon have managed to create is a slow-burning, sublimely written chronicle that holds honesty above all else. Theirs is a city that lives and breathes, textured with compelling, complex characters - street snitch Bubbles (Andre Royo) and gay gunman Omar (Michael K. Williams) being two standouts - and intricate, multi-layered storylines.

The Wire covers over 12 hours what any other cop show would play out in just one episode, and it’s this microscopic attention to detail, so perfectly executed, that raises it above every other cop show on television.

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #206 on: March 10, 2008, 04:32:50 pm »
Saw the last episode on Sat, just incredible.

Easily the best thing on TV for a long, long time.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2008, 05:14:50 pm »
Damn you to hell RAWKites!! £35 spent on Season 1&2 of The Wire. Arrived today. Top class, so I'll forgive you.

Have just finished the torrent on season 2, but needed them on DVD. Yes, NEEDED. My DVD collection fucking rocks, I tells yer.

Anyway, I remember I argued a while back that The Sopranos was better than The Wire, but I retract my statement. Redundant anyway, and I appreciate that we should be grateful for both of them, but The Wire is just immense. Watched Season 1 once a night right up until the last 4/5 when I just had to watch them one after another. Started watching Season 1 and didn't really feel it as much, I had to admit. I preferred the project and the way that case was going and I preferred the jazzier theme tune :P. But I was naive. It always gets better with every episode and the depth of the stories is unrivalled on telly.

With The Sopranos, I want to see Tony on screen with Christopher, Sil and Paulie and find his 'family life', while being integral to the plot, a little wishy-washy and I drift off. But with The Wire, you have Stringer/Avon, Omar, McNulty/Lester/Bunk... all as intriuging as the last. Definitely agree with that article about it being relentless. Information piled on you from first minute to last and from first episode to last. Certainly not something you can just 'have on'.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2008, 05:24:44 pm »
"Someone Has To Start Wondering What the F Is Going On."
The Wire co-creator Ed Burns talks about failure in the drug war, public education, the war in Iraq, and police strategies.

http://www.reason.com/news/show/125309.html

Great read.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: March 13, 2008, 06:08:41 pm »
read the empire review in the magazine this month, and again above. Can honestly say I've never even heard of it before now. Noticed this thread once or twice but never ventured in. Having read the Empire review, I went and ordered the first series.... should have it some time next week

Really looking forward to it, very few decent TV shows out there
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #210 on: March 13, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »
read the empire review in the magazine this month, and again above. Can honestly say I've never even heard of it before now. Noticed this thread once or twice but never ventured in. Having read the Empire review, I went and ordered the first series.... should have it some time next week

Really looking forward to it, very few decent TV shows out there

Knowing your taste in other stuff mate, I'd be pretty confident you'll love it.

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: March 13, 2008, 09:09:12 pm »
Knowing your taste in other stuff mate, I'd be pretty confident you'll love it.

Good stuff. Should have just bought it in the shop, dont fancy waiting until next week

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: March 13, 2008, 10:56:59 pm »
Saw HMV had the 1-3 box sets in for £17 each today, 4 hasn't been out long so it'll be full price. They're doing quite a few at good prices, saw Curb, Family Guy, House, Six Feet Under, Sopranos etc. 

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: March 14, 2008, 04:47:14 pm »
Saw HMV had the 1-3 box sets in for £17 each today, 4 hasn't been out long so it'll be full price. They're doing quite a few at good prices, saw Curb, Family Guy, House, Six Feet Under, Sopranos etc. 

In the shops? They always seem to be so much more than on the internet these days. I remember seeing Sopranos season 6 was about £60 in the shops a day after I'd spent about £17 on it off play.com or wherever.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: March 14, 2008, 05:19:20 pm »
Yeah, they're having a sale or something and they're desperately trying to compete with online prices anyway.

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2008, 12:48:54 am »
The Wire's Final Season and the Story Everyone Missed
By David Simon

Well now, it's been a week since The Wire's final episode and a certain calm has descended, leaving a little less agita and a little more reflection. A moment for one last question:

That wasn't too vicious, was it?

Sure there was a fabulist and, yeah, he snatched the big prize. Couldn't resist, sorry. That was a bit beyond the historical reality; at the historical Baltimore Sun, he was a mere Pulitzer finalist. And okay, the city editor, the honorable fellow, the one for whom journalism was an ethos, he got slapped down and thrown to the copy desk. We did that, too, because hey, to criticize such a newsroom culture did indeed carry those risks in Baltimore.

But the fifth-season story arc began with a wonderful bit of adversarial reporting on deadline -- good, clean newspapering it was. And at the end there, that other fellow wrote a very sincere narrative about a very real and genuine soul. Righteous journalism that makes a good reporter get up in the morning.

True, the top editor had to get up on a desk amid the deluge of the internet and the declines in circulation and advertising. And yeah, he gave the more-with-less talk to maintain morale and it rang a hollow because at this point, buyout upon buyout, the grey ladies are down to bone already. But he was sincere in his grief. He hated closing those foreign bureaus and cutting back further in the newsroom. But what can you do? The suits in Chicago are running scared.

All in all, the last season of The Wire wasn't that cruel a portrayal, was it? There was some love in there for the ink-stained wretches. A few funny lines, too. Tell me you didn't laugh at the burnt-doll harem in the photog's trunk. C'mon, it's okay to smile.

Ah, fuck it, who's kidding whom?

It was way worse than you thought. Any of you -- save for a couple sharp journos who were able to stand back just far enough to realize what the real critique was. Lowry got it, and tellingly, he used to work for the LA Times but is now a step or two removed from a metropolitan daily, writing for Variety. And a couple of others at alternative weeklies figured it out -- again, perhaps, because they're less vested than everyone at the big, vulnerable dailies.

But the rest of you blessed, scribbling souls? Not so much as an offhand reference, and that goes not just for the journalists displeased enough with our newspaper tale, but for the larger number of commentators and critics who thought we did swell. No one went near the theme; everyone stayed dead-center and literal, oblivious to the big-ass elephant in our mythical newsroom.

Let's be clear, though. I'm actually rigorous about letting criticism of the show stand without arguing back. I'll rant a bit about journalism, or the drug war or any other issue that I rub up against. But if you didn't enjoy The Wire this season, then let's concede for purposes of this little note that you are correct. We sucked. The writing was a train wreck, the characterization limp, the acting and plotting, shameful and shameless both. Jumped that shark in high-topped Nikes, we did.

Okay, I don't actually agree, but neither would I argue. We said what we wanted to say and now everyone else is entitled to talk back without some counterbitch finding them. So let's happily concede that all criticism stands and get to the real fun.

Because the thing I can't leave alone, the thing that makes me giddy as a schoolgirl is this: Whatever else I am -- a traitorous apostate to newsprint, the angriest hack in television, a kicker of small dogs -- you must acknowledge that I am now, also, the newly crowded King of Meta. That's right. I am your new lord sovereign of buried, latent, subtextual argument. I dragged it past sarcasm, past cynicism, and all the way to balls-out snide. Crown me up and kneel, ya bitches.

Here's what happened in season five of The Wire when almost no one -- among the working press, at least -- was looking:

Our newspaper missed every major story.

The mayor, who came in promising reform, is instead forcing his police department to once again cook the stats to create the illusion that crime is going down. Uncovered.

The school system has been teaching test questions to improve No Child Left Behind scores, and to protect the mayor politically and to validate a system that is failing to properly educate city children. No expose published.

Key investigations and prosecutions are undercut or abandoned by the political machinations of police officials, prosecutors and political figures. Departmental priorities make high-level drug investigation prohibitive.

Not the news that's fit to print.

Drug wars, territorial disputes, and the assassination of the city's largest drug importer manage to produce a brief inside the metro section that refers only to the slaying of a second-hand appliance store owner.

Par for the course.

That was the critique. With the exception of the good journalism that bookended the story arc -- which is, of course, representative of the fact that there are still newspaper folk in Baltimore and elsewhere struggling mightily to do the job -- the season amounted to ten hours of a newspaper that is no longer intimately aware of its city.

And here comes the meta:

In Baltimore, where over the last twenty years Times Mirror and the Tribune Company have combined to reduce the newsroom by forty percent, all of the above stories pretty much happened. A mayor was elected governor while his police commanders made aggravated assaults and robberies disappear. School principals in Baltimore and elsewhere in Maryland were obliged to teach test questions to pump scores at the expense of meaningful curricula. Politicians then took credit for the limited gains that were, of course, unsustainable as the students aged into middle school. Politically sensitive casework was butchered or pursued selectively by political interests and departmental indifference. Notable killings and machinations in the drug world were the talk of the streets.

And yes, in real life, there wasn't much written about such in my city. Amid buyout after buyout, the Baltimore Sun conceded much of its institutional memory, its beat structure, its ability to penetrate municipal institutions and report qualitatively on substantive issues in a way that explains not just the symptomatic problems of the city, but the root causes of those problems.

The Sun began doing so in the 1990s -- before the internet, before the Tribune Company did its worst -- when beat reporting and any serious, systemic examination of issues was eschewed in favor of "impact" journalism, special projects and Pulitzer sniffing. It continued doing so into the present decade as the Tribune Company followed the Times Mirror buyouts with even more ruthless abandon. And now, with the economic vise that is the internet tight around her, the Sun -- like so many once-worthy regional newspapers -- is fighting for relevance and readers.

It's admittedly easy enough, if you are writing a fictional television show, to sit in a diner booth or on a bar stool with a police lieutenant or an assistant principal, an assistant state's attorney or a political functionary and have them tell you the good dirt, knowing as they do that fiction is a safe abstraction. Fiction makes everyone comfortable and talkative; journalism -- good, probing journalism -- is a much harder, much more rigorous task. It is time-consuming, expensive, deliberate and demanding.

It would not have been easy for a veteran police reporter to pull all the police reports in the Southwestern District and find out just how robberies fell so dramatically, to track each individual report through staff review and find out how many were unfounded and for what reason, or to develop a stationhouse source who could tell you about how many reports went unwritten on the major's orders, or even further -- to talk to people in that district who tried to report armed robberies and instead found themselves threatened with warrant checks or accused of drug involvement or otherwise intimidated into dropping the matter.

It would be hard for a committed education reporter to acquire the curriculum of a city middle school and compare it to what children were taught before No Child Left Behind reduced teaching to rote repetition, or to track a rise in the third-grade test scores into the fifth or seventh grade and thereby demonstrate how temporal and false the gains actually were. And to get teachers talking, even on background, about their anger and frustration at this flummery? That kind of trust comes slow.

But absent that kind of reporting, we will all soon enough live in cities and towns where politicians and bureaucrats gambol freely without worry, where it is never a risk to shine shit and call it gold. A good newspaper covers its city and acquires not just the quantitative account of a day's events, but the qualitative truth and meaning behind those events. A great newspaper does this routinely on a multitude of issues, across its entire region.

Such a newspaper was not chronicled on The Wire. There were still good journalists in our make-believe newsroom, and they did some good work -- just as there are still such souls in Baltimore and every city laboring in similar fashion and to similar result. But there used to be more of them. And they covered more ground, and they knew the terrain in a way that they no longer do.

I confess I thought that journalism was still self-aware enough to get it, that enough collective consciousness of the craft's highest calling remained, that reporters still worried about what their newspapers were missing.

We certainly expected more attention from the media. Write a television story arc about the betrayal of the working class, the fraud of the drug war or the lie of No Child Left Behind and you can't get off the entertainment pages. Maybe an education magazine writes a column on inner-city curricula, or a libertarian website revisits the idea of drug decriminalization.

But suggest that high-end American newspapers have been gutted by out-of-town ownership, besieged by the internet and preoccupied by a prize culture that validates small-trick and self-limiting "impact," rather than seriously evaluating problems? Now you've got the full attention of the media.

We are grateful for ink. Always.

But for all of it to amount to a forest-and-tree farce? To argue about whether Whiting is more venal or one-dimensional than Valchek? To debate whether Gus Haynes is more of a hero than Bunny Colvin? To wonder whether anyone would be disciplined for cursing in a newsroom, or why they made the top editor wear those suspenders, or whether it was a cliché to have a fabricator driving the overt plot? To argue about whether the drama had become arch or unsubtle? And to studiously avoid any sustained discussion about whether the depicted newspaper is, in all respects, capturing the meaningful narrative of the depicted city? And whether that is an accurate critique?

When we were beating the story out, Bill Zorzi wondered whether -- in the final episode -- it might be necessary for Gus Haynes to vocalize the theme, to turn to Alma or Luxenberg or some other character and say, "We're so thin, and we waste what little resources we have left on the wrong things. I wonder what's happening in this city that we don't know about. I wonder what we're missing?"

But no, show don't tell is the rule. To have the city editor saying such things would have been, well, arch. And unsubtle. As it is, I argued, any good journalist will -- if he or she loves the business -- follow this story and wince at the stories systematically missed, the undiscovered and unreported tales of the city known to viewers for four season. As wounded and onanistic and self-absorbed as the profession has become, there are still plenty of people for whom that matters above all.

So I talked Zorzi down on that one.

My bad, Bill. My bad.
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: March 18, 2008, 06:07:11 pm »
Season One arrived today ;D

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2008, 02:03:11 pm »
It is a fact: the Wire has some of the greatest characters set to picture, be it films or TV or whatever.

Still wished series 5 had 13 or 14 episodes to finish things off - the final episode had that space required but the ones previous to it needed it as well.

Is this the series with the most black actors I've ever seen? And also the series which is possibly the greatest in TV history?

Considering the white writers and makers of the Wire, this makes this show an 'ideal' reflection of America - a great collaboration between black and white America. Which is funny because this collaboration is a damnation of the place as well.

Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Rorus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »
Is this the series with the most black actors I've ever seen? And also the series which is possibly the greatest in TV history?

Deffo the greatest but don't know about the black actors. Oz is the only one I can think comes close for sheer numbers of major characters.

Been watching the whole lot over again. Got a few more of 5 to finish.

I knew Steve Earle sang the last theme but I missed that he plays Walon (didn't know what he looked like).
Here's his song 'I feel Alright' used in the series 2 end montage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T9qBdbV7v0

Another minor character to surprise me is Homicide Detective Ed Norris, played by Ed Norris. Here's an article about his real life as ex Deputy Ops (Ney York PD), Commissioner of Baltimore PD and State of Maryland Chief of Police. :o

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/05/01/Floridian/A_crooked_path.shtml

A real case of truth stranger than fiction.

Here's a link to David Simon's open letter to thank fans on the HBO website

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/finaleletter/

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #219 on: March 22, 2008, 01:06:24 pm »
Deffo the greatest but don't know about the black actors. Oz is the only one I can think comes close for sheer numbers of major characters.

Been watching the whole lot over again. Got a few more of 5 to finish.

I knew Steve Earle sang the last theme but I missed that he plays Walon (didn't know what he looked like).
Here's his song 'I feel Alright' used in the series 2 end montage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T9qBdbV7v0

Another minor character to surprise me is Homicide Detective Ed Norris, played by Ed Norris. Here's an article about his real life as ex Deputy Ops (Ney York PD), Commissioner of Baltimore PD and State of Maryland Chief of Police. :o

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/05/01/Floridian/A_crooked_path.shtml

A real case of truth stranger than fiction.

Here's a link to David Simon's open letter to thank fans on the HBO website

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/finaleletter/

There are a few 'real life' crossovers; eg the orca-fat Sergeant's character name is Jay Landsman, which is the real name of the actor who plays Lieut Mello.

Offline Rorus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #220 on: March 22, 2008, 01:29:40 pm »
There's loads. The guy who plays The Deacon, Melvin Williams was a real life drug lord. He was arrested by Ed Burns, the series writer back in '84. Simon and Burns styled Avon Barksdale on him.

Also, I had wondered who the gravely voiced, miserable guy singing series 2's theme is. It's Tom Waits! And he wrote the song!

From Series 2 on there are several mentions of 'New World Order' some quite masonic imagery (pyramids and suchlike).
The closer you look at the show, the more you find. 60 hours of TV at it's best.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2008, 01:59:36 pm »
Undoubtedly the best TV show I've ever seen. Obviously it's incomparable to other genres, but I watched another episode last night and laughed out loud on about four occasions.

"I'm just a humble man with a big-ass dick."

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: March 24, 2008, 12:24:40 pm »
2 episodes in to season 1

Its outstanding

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: March 25, 2008, 06:06:43 pm »
that scene in episode three where D'Angelo is explaining how to play Chess was excellent

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: March 25, 2008, 06:11:20 pm »
that scene in episode three where D'Angelo is explaining how to play Chess was excellent

When the 'pawns' were trying to work out how pawns became the King was instructive on the entire series.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline myrlas