Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1832533 times)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #34320 on: June 28, 2018, 10:43:21 am »
All the bikes live in the house somehow.

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34321 on: June 28, 2018, 11:43:34 am »
Not quite like that, I'd bang my head! ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34322 on: June 28, 2018, 11:46:11 am »
How is everyone in here? Have you all got impressive tan lines without going abroad? I have helmet strap lines in my face ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34323 on: June 28, 2018, 11:53:42 am »
How is everyone in here? Have you all got impressive tan lines without going abroad? I have helmet strap lines in my face ;D

I've been pathetic this year to be honest.

Only used it for commutes to work or band practice, probably most I've done is about 15 miles in a day. Has been nearly every day though so slowly clocking them up.

Was supposed to be doing the Liverpool-Chester bike ride this weekend but didn't get myself sorted. Had a few punctures last few weeks and brakes need some attention. Been meaning to get it serviced for about 6 months so I could have faith in doing a long ride.

Yesterday's puncture was brutal in that I got out of work in the sweltering heat, got back to the bikeshed and it was flat. Soooo frustrating when you're ready to get home and have loads to do. While changing it found a huge metal spike in the tyre that must have been the culprit. Horrible.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 12:06:31 pm by SamAteTheRedAcid »
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34324 on: June 28, 2018, 01:40:03 pm »
City commuting is hard on the bike, there's so much glass and crap on the roads. At least you're getting out a lot, not everyone manages with work and kids and other stuff on.

You can still enter the CLC ride on the day I think, I did a couple of years ago. Now I ride through the tunnel frequently and don't care about the organised ride ;D Last year I just went through with them, nice without cars ;D

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #34325 on: June 29, 2018, 09:33:34 pm »
Managed an early morning loop of Wigan-Southport-Ormskirk-Wigan before it got too warm. Still up to 30 degrees and the tan lines look pretty brutal. The lack of conditioned legs and lungs was the least of my worries!

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #34326 on: June 29, 2018, 09:51:31 pm »
Managed an early morning loop of Wigan-Southport-Ormskirk-Wigan before it got too warm. Still up to 30 degrees and the tan lines look pretty brutal. The lack of conditioned legs and lungs was the least of my worries!

Gravy browning darling.  Blends in a treat  ;D :wave
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #34327 on: June 29, 2018, 09:57:18 pm »
Gravy browning darling.  Blends in a treat  ;D :wave

More like redcurrant jelly, for that lobster-like blend  ;)

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34328 on: June 29, 2018, 10:55:53 pm »
More like redcurrant jelly, for that lobster-like blend  ;)

Calm yourself young man - all comes bronzie in the end.  :D

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #34329 on: June 30, 2018, 10:32:37 am »
Calm yourself young man - all comes bronzie in the end.  :D
I always mean to say this but Maggie? You crack me up.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34330 on: July 1, 2018, 12:42:41 am »
I always mean to say this but Maggie? You crack me up.

Oooooh youg man  :odd  You are such a sweetie.  Aye.  Gravy browning "sighs".  This shall be gone into more specfic  detail in the Arls Thread.  :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #34331 on: August 6, 2018, 06:19:00 pm »
Here we got..
its official tease Geoff with your enter the Ride London ballot email day...

And you know what..i'll enter it again...thinking..this year...
+6 ticket exchange

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #34332 on: August 8, 2018, 12:01:37 pm »
Here we got..
its official tease Geoff with your enter the Ride London ballot email day...

And you know what..i'll enter it again...thinking..this year...

One of the highlights of the racing calendar this 😀

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34333 on: August 12, 2018, 11:15:43 pm »
Anyone any experience with selle SMP saddle s thinking of getting one

Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #34334 on: August 13, 2018, 10:51:07 pm »
I’m a fizik man Albie
Saddle choice a tough one..got to find one that you like being on for long periods..how you find that out without trying loads isn’t easy is it?
First Fizik I had was one my first road bike and I’ve stayed with them ever since
Have them on all my bikes
+6 ticket exchange

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34335 on: August 14, 2018, 08:00:02 am »
I was going to look that saddle up. I've tried two Selle ones, didn't like either. They felt like they were too hard in the wrong places. I've got San Marco ones on most of my bikes now. Like the Fizik ones, maybe when I feel like splashing out on something ;D

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34336 on: August 15, 2018, 09:29:25 am »
Thanks for replies. On long rides where I've worked hard my fizik Aliante isn't working for me .Finding that I'm getting too sore soft tissue measured my sit bones which are wide apart and came across this which made logical sense but seems heresy however the orthodoxy seems to be pre scientific. We're all different just try till you find one https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/09/all-about-smps/

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34337 on: August 15, 2018, 09:50:50 am »
Thanks for that, it makes perfect sense to me and answers some questions I had about the conventional wisdom of sit bone width and saddle choice. I feel comfy on slim saddles, and it looks like its due to my pretty aggressive position on the bike.

I've recently come across another new saddle design, I'll have to remember what it was called, it looked like a massive saddle with most of it cut away. The reasoning was that you shouldn't support your weight with your soft tissue, and the shape was supposed to address that problem. Remember thinking "that sounds like a good idea" and forgot about it, but then I saw that saddle on the bike of a lad who'd just won a 100 mile TT. He said it looked odd but worked for him.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34338 on: August 15, 2018, 04:32:02 pm »
Ah, found it: infinitybikeseat.com

Not cheap tho. :-\

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34339 on: August 17, 2018, 12:07:27 pm »

Looks interesting but very dear, if I knew it worked buy it without hesitation but no where to try it out as L.A. based. mind you in finding my bum is giving out before my legs did 60 yesterday and all the way home against the wind finding I'm pressing into saddle causing more pain

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #34340 on: August 18, 2018, 08:24:36 pm »
So I never ever ride my bike any more :( just nowhere to store it and it's got too dusty and rusty in the cellar. I'm flogging it and accessories on ebay. Would anyone be kind enough to have a look and let me know if I'm asking for way too much and if there's any obvious deficiencies in the listing? Thanks in advance!

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Specialized-Sirrus-Sport-Hybrid-Bike-and-free-lights-lock-and-accessories/232895960831?hash=item3639ae56ff:g:hdcAAOSwKWBbeGj-
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #34341 on: August 23, 2018, 08:15:31 am »
Bump, no help guys? Had an offer of 200, might just take it. It needs work doing to it and it's only going to be worth less and less as winter rolls in and it gets another battering in the cellar or outside

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34342 on: August 24, 2018, 10:41:50 am »
Sorry Jake, only now managed to have a look. I'd say £400 is about right, I wouldn't accept £200. You make it sound like its proper rusty (and basicallly done) in the ad, bet its not!

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #34343 on: August 24, 2018, 01:46:46 pm »
Sorry Jake, only now managed to have a look. I'd say £400 is about right, I wouldn't accept £200. You make it sound like its proper rusty (and basicallly done) in the ad, bet its not!

It's not done in, it does need a good service though. For example when on the middle ring the chain catches and you can hear it rattle. I know it just needs an amendment to the position of the thingybobby but I don't know how. The discs scrape against the breakpads too when pedalling, that's either a wrap or just something catching somewhere, but I want it sold as seen :lmao.

Plus I'm giving away at least 50 quids worth of gear.

Cheers :)

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34344 on: August 28, 2018, 11:12:52 pm »
Sorry Jake missed this but not great at valuing second-hand bikes but would imagine somewhere bin the middle would be what to aim for.

I've just got a gabba 3 for £80 must be a new one coming out as usually £150. still plenty left if anyone wants one at usual online places.Had bike fit moved saddle back and nose forward, out today for first time since bike fit and seems to sorted out about 80% of my sore bum,hoping next few rides will end my problem with sore backside

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 11:27:01 pm by The 92A »

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34345 on: August 28, 2018, 11:21:56 pm »
Jules from other thread lost weight and it's making loads of difference to my hill climbing, it's great on the bike, apart from feeling 10 years younger best bit is my new found enthusiasm for trying out hills, done all the local ones and because you know how hard you used to find them, I can really feel difference in a measurable way. Novelty may wear off but at moment like a kid in a sweet shop

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34346 on: August 29, 2018, 10:54:51 am »
Jules from other thread lost weight and it's making loads of difference to my hill climbing, it's great on the bike, apart from feeling 10 years younger best bit is my new found enthusiasm for trying out hills, done all the local ones and because you know how hard you used to find them, I can really feel difference in a measurable way. Novelty may wear off but at moment like a kid in a sweet shop

Great that. ;D You been out with others? Must be among the stronger ones now, considering you've done lots of strength training on hills over the last years :P
I don't think it will wear off, you liking them more means you'll get even better at them.

Just in time for hill climb season.... :P

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34347 on: August 30, 2018, 11:55:42 pm »
Out today, was a bit apprehensive, as the lads who were out totally by chance were all the better riders and I didn't fancy holding them up too much as they were doing a few hills.  Got to Ashurst and kept with the group until about halfway up, which I was made up with then the group split and instead of being spat out at the back ended up 3rd to the top leaving behind lads who for years have killed me on climbs. Can't believe how much I've improved climbing, properly made up, even being stung on the lip by a bee today didn't spoil my day ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34348 on: August 31, 2018, 09:13:28 am »
Great that Albie, proper reward for 8 weeks of suffering. ;D

So much of climbing is just power/weight. You never really notice that, you cam be a good rider on the flat, until the road kicks up.

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34349 on: September 13, 2018, 01:23:25 pm »
Anyone getting out recently, been out for a load of 50's with the lads not ventured out further like into Wales just the normal, shaleys, ashurst, stoney lane, parbold loops. My climbing is on a different level after after losing weight, and I'm really loving it,  I was always near the back at climbs and I keep thinking in back of my mind, that it might go back to normal and I'm going to struggle but every time I get on my first climb, it's still there, this new ability to pass people who for years have left me behind on climbs, still can't beat the really good climbers but I've easily jumped into the top half, which will do me and I'm improving, going up Shalleys other day one lad who really fancies himself, turned around and condenscendingly goes, Albie's flying up, just before it ramps up at the end, I'd been riding within myself just staying on his wheel, so  I just pushed on hard bit and left him for dead, really satisfying although on the whole just made up to have improved, not into all that sort of thing normally just enjoy the laugh and getting out

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34350 on: September 13, 2018, 04:30:03 pm »
Been out over there yesterday, day off but couldn't be bothered getting a train over to go to Wales. Couldn't help but think how much nicer it is in Wales...

I mainly hate the hour it takes me to get to the East Lancs (and another one back), but even once there....I'm spoilt riding in Wales usually ;D

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34351 on: September 14, 2018, 12:16:39 pm »
I'm the opposite J, being a northender easy to get to West Lancs and that's where we started going out, so it feels entwined with riding bikes, wasn't always that way, when we first started being a city boy, I was like, wow didn't know this was here, so close, isn't it beautiful, fields country lanes and all that.

Objectively, no contest Wales walks it for riding and scenery, but probably because you have to ride through the Wirral or go the long way over the Runcorn bridge, always see Wales as miles away and really hard even though starting in Harwarden negates that a bit.

A few of my mates live in the South end and they are always going on about we should get out to Wales more, so probably just geography and them being Southend Wools doesn't help ;)

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #34352 on: September 14, 2018, 12:20:13 pm »
Just bought my first bike, I wanted something on the cheaper end but not cheap cheap and versatile, got this in the end:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-substance-gravel-bike-sora-1/?sku=587877

also got a Kask Rapido for helmet, I look bloody stupid AF in bike helmets but better than a smashed head I guess :)

Hopefully gets me more out and about while I am off the running and I'd like to sign up to the beginners level local triathlon next yr, would put slicks on the bike in that case.

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34353 on: September 14, 2018, 03:10:07 pm »
Sensible first bike Phil, versatile not too upright and staid but still comfortable with easy handling and the ability to go anywhere, not the fastest bike for a triathlon but then you'd lose the versatility and it would be too costly and as a runner you know the main thing is to get out there and get so miles in. Most road helmets basically the same just pay more for fashion less weight and a bit of aero and they rarely look good on anyone, welcome to the thread and enjoy your riding

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34354 on: September 14, 2018, 04:27:08 pm »
Phil, my first 'road' bike was like that, good start, you can do nearly everything on that. Have fun!

....it wasn't my last 'new bike'.... ;D ::)

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34355 on: September 14, 2018, 04:34:55 pm »
Albie, been reading my post above again, sounds way more negative than I wanted it to be, it is actually nice over there! ;D
I only go there a couple of times a year, was just surprised how urban and busy it was, comperatively. I joined a proper wooly club over the water (soz :-\), we ride in Wales most weekends, but it does mean getting the train all the time.

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34356 on: September 17, 2018, 06:11:19 pm »
Albie, been reading my post above again, sounds way more negative than I wanted it to be, it is actually nice over there! ;D
I only go there a couple of times a year, was just surprised how urban and busy it was, comperatively. I joined a proper wooly club over the water (soz :-\ ), we ride in Wales most weekends, but it does mean getting the train all the time.
Jules I never took it as negative, I knew what you meant, why the Wirral and more importantly are you enjoying it, I've always gone out with my mates and the social side is as important as the cycling but it must take a bit of bottle to join a club. Well done

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34357 on: September 17, 2018, 08:36:16 pm »
Jules I never took it as negative, I knew what you meant, why the Wirral and more importantly are you enjoying it, I've always gone out with my mates and the social side is as important as the cycling but it must take a bit of bottle to join a club. Well done

It was after I started racing, thought it'd be better in a club for that, so I joined one where I knew a couple of people. Funnily I wasn't too keen on the social side before I joined, but love it now, we always have a laugh.

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34358 on: September 18, 2018, 03:04:05 pm »
I  forgot you were a racing snake these days how's that going J

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34359 on: September 18, 2018, 03:22:31 pm »
I  forgot you were a racing snake these days how's that going J

Season has just started, I'm as slow as ever, haha! Good fun though. ;D