Author Topic: Fabio Aurelio  (Read 261623 times)

Offline campioni1984

• Fancies Paul Ince
  • Legacy Fan
  • 15 April 1989 YNWA
Fabio Aurelio
« on: February 3, 2007, 08:26:57 pm »
When he first joined,he played a couple of games at LM.He looked ok and had a "sweet left foot"."liked a tackle though".
Can`t remember the game,but he ended up at LB,and was dreadful.No positional sense,no realisation of what defending was all about.Gradually through 20/30 min touches at LB,he gained confidence and came to terms with the physical nature of the Premiership.
Then Chelsea at home.Bang.The lad was tremendous,solid from the beginning to the end,never put a foot wrong.Before that Chelsea game a LB,would have been the first player,I would like to have seen us buy in january.Did that performance persuade Rafa,that a LB wasn`t so important? Why buy a RB when Finnan has been so dependable?We were crying out for a LB for 2/3 years.Is Aurelio the one?
Finally did Aurelios absence today force Rafa to play 3 up front? If he`d been fit,I`m pretty sure he would have played,at left back,behind Riise,and Kuyt and Crouch up front.
THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL BOYS

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Fabio Aurelio
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2007, 10:14:16 pm »
Have to agree.  I had my starting XI down as Aurelio left back, Riise left midfield too.  That was on the basis of the Chelsea game and with Gonzalez (the only other fit left sided option) not ready ready for the derby.  Was definitely a bit anxious about his early performances at left back early on in the same way as I've always been about Warnock - seemed to lack that important positional sense.  But I think we would have had more balance had he been available today with Riise left midfield, seemed to affect our outlook and 'possibilities' a bit.

But he seems to be settling into the English game now and I hope to see him grow as an option at left back because Riise has really worried me defensively at times this season.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2007, 10:16:47 pm by djibril »
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2007, 10:15:22 pm »
Aurellio is a good left back no doubt about it, just more injury prone than dyer. Which is a shame

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2007, 10:22:15 pm »
The fact that he was slated for 3 performances at leftback I found quite worrying. Especially when he provided a really solid attacking threat in one of those games (galatasaray).

I think he fits into Rafa's idea of being the best passing team in the premiership. And by that I don't mean we're going to go and play little neat one-twos and triangles all over the pitch like Arsenal. I mean we're going to be able to retain the ball and pressure opposition for longer than anyone else. changing the tempo of matches greater than anyone else. Games like today's may not have been the greatest, but it's a case of one step backwards to go two steps forwards. The ability to change formation and position 3-4 times mid-match is going to be one which terrorises our opponents but we need games like today to test it out and get used to it. Just a shame we couldn't scrape a win whilst doing so.

Anyways without straying any further from the point than I have already. We need someone with his ability one the ball. If Finnan/whoever we play out there, is pushing high up on the right, someone of Aurelio's ability can switch play with a raking Alonso style pass. Or, as we've seen already, he can just as easily play Bellamy in down the line or throw in a decent cross himself.

Riise can smack the ball 20 foot over the bar, and that's if he decides to attempt to control it.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2007, 10:23:11 pm »
He's looked good in recent games.  Not averse to a tackle, steady on the ball, makes smart passes (the one-toucher to Bellamy in the Watford away game comes to mind), capable of putting in some good crosses, and most of his shots seem to be on target.  I'm not sure that you could say any of that about JAR this season.
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 3, 2007, 10:24:21 pm »
Riise's going through a difficult spell, that doesn't make him shit, he's still got a cracking left foot on him. Short memories some people.

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #6 on: February 3, 2007, 10:57:54 pm »
Riise's going through a difficult spell, that doesn't make him shit, he's still got a cracking left foot on him. Short memories some people.

To my mind (and my memories aren't short; I've been a Reds fan since the 1950's), Riise's "difficult spell" extends back over at least the last two years.  The ability to spank the ball into the net a couple of times a year from 30 yards isn't enough to offset his limited contribution in most games IMO.  Check out his crossing stats on OPTA, for instance.  They're worse (in % terms) than any of the other regular wide players, and well below Steve Finnan's.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 3, 2007, 10:59:16 pm »

A difficult spell doesn't span a whole season.

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #8 on: February 3, 2007, 11:01:00 pm »
They're worse (in % terms) than any of the other regular wide players, and well below Steve Finnan's.

and Aurelio's.  So, to get back to the thread, how serious is Fabio's injury, anybody know?

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #9 on: February 3, 2007, 11:04:04 pm »
I think Aurelio deffo wouldve started today had he been fit, it wouldve helped our left side out a lot. I dont think Gonzo was ever an option for today, except maybe a brief cameo, the game was too physical for him at this stage

I think Aurelio wouldve given us better diagonal crosses and allowed Riise to overlap better
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 3, 2007, 11:13:05 pm »
We needed a RB because we had minimum cover for Finnan. It's not about replacing Finnan, it's about cover. All other positions have cover.

Aurelio is a good player. IMO he's a LM, but his performance at LB vs Chelsea was really good. Riise may have the shot, but Aurelio's touch is a lot better and he's in a different class when in one on ones (when he has the ball) to JAR.

JAR is our LB, but if Aurelio can perform like he did vs Chelsea, then we don't have to worry at all about the LB position.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 3, 2007, 11:26:02 pm »
Best left back at the club ATM. Needs games, plenty of them, in his proper position.

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 4, 2007, 12:56:23 am »
I think its pretty obvious Aurlio being out meant the 3 forwards starting as we had no other left sided players left.

As for the question why we bought cover for Finnan? Do we really need to answer that?! Hes the only one without cover until last week, simple as.

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 4, 2007, 01:30:27 am »
JAR is our LB, but if Aurelio can perform like he did vs Chelsea, then we don't have to worry at all about the LB position.

Agreed but I don't think Riise is good enough for LB or LM.  I reckon we sell Riise, keep Aurelio, get Kewell fit, hope Gonzalez can come to terms with the prem, and buy a new LB (e.g. Barry (in an ideal world)) this summer.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 4, 2007, 01:33:38 am »
Barry over Riise in an ideal world?

I'm off to bed, i must be more tied than i thought. I'm dreaming, barry is wank. Nothing wrong with Riise except for this season, me thinks he needs to lay off the pies for a few weeks. Fitness can dramatically decrease all aspects of ones game

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #15 on: February 4, 2007, 02:18:36 am »
Barry over Riise in an ideal world?

I'm off to bed, i must be more tied than i thought. I'm dreaming, barry is wank. Nothing wrong with Riise except for this season, me thinks he needs to lay off the pies for a few weeks. Fitness can dramatically decrease all aspects of ones game

Don't think Riise has been totally abysmal, and in all honesty, the fact we've conceeded so few goals suggests that he is not causing us to leak goals, and as long as he is hitting 5 or more goals per season, and having an involvement in a similar amount more, then i'm happy.

Aurelio is the first player who has come along and looked like he could make the spot his own.  He received a lot of criticism for some frustrating performances in August and September, and a lot of people had written him off far too early - he's been excellent throughout January and i think he looks like an excellent signing.

Offline philyburkhill

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: February 4, 2007, 02:20:54 am »
I think we look weak on the left without Kewell, especially today when we had fuck all down the left apart from Riise. Aurelio has looked good the few times he has played, but the reason we got him on a free is because he is injury prone and can't be relied upon.
Viva La Rafalution!

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #17 on: February 4, 2007, 02:37:00 am »
The last couple of apperances his quality has been unmistakeable.

If he can stay fit - and its a big if - we wont need to buy a LB in the summer

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #18 on: February 4, 2007, 02:38:27 am »
I think we look weak on the left without Kewell, especially today when we had fuck all down the left apart from Riise. Aurelio has looked good the few times he has played, but the reason we got him on a free is because he is injury prone and can't be relied upon.

We'll look a lot different when Kewell and Momo are back.

I imagine we'll return to the system we used last season, which i always like to explain as two attacking fullbacks, supporting two central midfielders, whilst we had two free role players based on the left and right (kewell and gerrard).

Offline rlpolobear9

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: February 4, 2007, 05:10:01 am »
Injuries have been him nemisis pretty amazing he plays one game then is hurt again I think we missed a left winger today as it made the whole formation unbalanced with the three upfront
Liverpool FC 5 time European champs!!!!! YNWA

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 4, 2007, 08:59:39 am »
Defence is not all about individual players' abilities rather how well they work as a unit.  Some seem to forget that Riise was part of our "best" defensive unit last season.  I think the flack he gets is unfair and unwarranted.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline tobyo

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: February 4, 2007, 09:24:14 am »
why buy a rb when finnans been so dependable? because hes are only right back an he cant play every single game

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 4, 2007, 11:20:33 am »
Fabio!

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #23 on: February 4, 2007, 12:19:14 pm »
IMO Fabio Aurelio is the best left back we have at the moment and would have played yesterday if he'd been fit. However he's injury prone and that will have a lot to do with why he played 88 games at Valencia in 6 years. I'd sell Riise in the summer and bring in another 1st choice left back in the Summer.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 4, 2007, 01:10:07 pm »
On a slight tangent... was watching Wayne Bridge yesterday and it suddenly hit me who he reminds me of. Steve Finnan. He's the left sided Steve Finnan... would be amazing in our team. Will never happen though.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #25 on: February 4, 2007, 05:36:21 pm »
IMO Fabio Aurelio is the best left back we have at the moment and would have played yesterday if he'd been fit. However he's injury prone and that will have a lot to do with why he played 88 games at Valencia in 6 years. I'd sell Riise in the summer and bring in another 1st choice left back in the Summer.

Why not have Aurelio as our first choice and have Riise as backup?

Don't understand why people moan about Riise so much - he's been part of varous defensive combinations over his Liverpool career, all of which have been highly successful.  He's been an important part of our success in recent years, and if Aurelio is to take his spot, then i don't see many better options a second choice left back.  He clearly feels at home at Anfield, and seems like a lad who would like to be here when he retires.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #26 on: February 4, 2007, 05:45:19 pm »
I think the record of our defence is excellent this season and all of our defensive player have contributed to it. So I am pretty happy with him and thought he has been excellent at times. One of our better signings imo.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Velky Al

• Legacy Fan
    • Fuggled
« Reply #27 on: February 5, 2007, 01:00:20 pm »
I think its pretty obvious Aurlio being out meant the 3 forwards starting as we had no other left sided players left.

Either that or Rafa likes playing 3-4-3 against the smaller clubs

Offline Fred Madison

• Jazz saxophonist, now masquerading as a mechanic after probably murdering his wife.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 5, 2007, 01:02:55 pm »
Either that or Rafa likes playing 3-4-3 against the smaller clubs
:lmao

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #29 on: February 5, 2007, 01:07:12 pm »
I like Fabio a lot. But whats all this talk about getting rid of Riise in the summer. The both should be starting.
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #30 on: March 4, 2007, 04:47:42 am »
Nice cameo from Fabio against United (apart from the last cornerkick).  Good control and vision and  perfectly weighted, incisive passes to the forwards and fellow midfielders.  We've got five (FA, JAR, MG, LG, HK) potential LMs.  At the moment I think that FA offers more than JAR and MG, but it'll be interesting to see what Rafa decides when Garcia and Kewell return.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #31 on: March 4, 2007, 09:21:35 am »
Wish he was on for more of the earlier free kicks and corners.

ManU conceded so many corners yet we're still shit at them.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Aldridge 8

• Schizophrenic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 4, 2007, 10:11:26 am »
he has taken time to adjust to england , but when injury free he is a good lad good passer good tackler very nice left foot not a bad player at all , he may not be roberto carlos but he is ok

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #33 on: March 4, 2007, 10:23:07 am »
He clearly is a class technical player and I just wish he wasn't made of glass. Still not toally sure about him at LB but he is certainly a better player than Riise. If he could improve his positional awareness a bit then I'd love him to be our LB. Great passer and very good player.
Watch your back.

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 4, 2007, 10:24:49 am »
another Smicer, doesn't matter how good he is when he's theoretically fit, because he hardly ever is

give him till the end of the year and then I'd bin him off, it's not like he's a young player and has years ahead of him on the off chance that he can get over his recurring injury problems

teams need stability and Riise's not exactly the World's most technical player but at least the fucker can be relied on not to go missing for months and years on end

Offline Aldridge 8

• Schizophrenic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 4, 2007, 10:27:49 am »
another Smicer, doesn't matter how good he is when he's theoretically fit, because he hardly ever is

give him till the end of the year and then I'd bin him off, it's not like he's a young player and has years ahead of him on the off chance that he can get over his recurring injury problems

teams need stability and Riise's not exactly the World's most technical player but at least the fucker can be relied on not to go missing for months and years on end
over the top me thnks he is a squad player who we got for nothing , who isnt as bad as you make out .

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 4, 2007, 10:48:00 am »
over the top me thnks he is a squad player who we got for nothing , who isnt as bad as you make out .

where did I make him out to be bad ? I said he was a technically good player, like Smicer, who cannot stay fit for more than about 12 games a season

with a left side of Aurelio and Gonzalez, who are in and out like "The Return of Busty Bangkok Babes 28", and Kewell, who has got whatever he's got, Arthritic Arachnaphobic Angina or whatever it is, and Zenden, we need to keep Riise in the squad, whatever his technical limitations

I'd bin off any player who doesn't pass certain injury-free criteria within a certain timeframe, whether I like them, like Warnock and Gonzalez, or I don't, mentioning no names or alice bands or black belts in martial arts

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #37 on: March 4, 2007, 10:51:51 am »
Thankfully you aren't the manager as players like Gerrard wouldn't have lasted a season when he was always out with niggling growing injuries.

Thought Aurelio was a decent player needing time to settle and get used to the pace. When he came on at Spurs away he showed his potential then and i think he helps Riise when he plays as they can swop over, which helps with the way Riise has struggled this year. Anyone know if the stories that Riise has been carrying an injury for most of the season are true? or just bollocks as normal.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 4, 2007, 11:07:25 am »
Thankfully you aren't the manager as players like Gerrard wouldn't have lasted a season when he was always out with niggling growing injuries.

he would, he was a kid worth perservering with, not a 27 year old who has spent most of his pro career injured

big difference

nothing to do with being as manager, should be club policy not to spend a fucking fortune on serially injured players if it can be helped

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #39 on: March 4, 2007, 11:09:32 am »
should be club policy not to spend a fucking fortune on serially injured players if it can be helped
I'm sure it is, given Aurelio was a free transfer  :P