Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4129638 times)

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #61760 on: January 3, 2020, 06:36:27 pm »
Some good candidates for 'fattest bastard of the decade' now I think of it.  My man James Toney had 7 fights, there's obviously Andy Ruiz this year, and there was that business with Tyson fury sending his Mrs out for a multipack of kitkats.

I give it to Chavez Jr though.

Has to be Andy Ruiz jnr. Champion, chance for history and unbelievable paydays, already beat the guy badly first time around, and you come in in that shape.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61761 on: January 3, 2020, 07:39:17 pm »
Has to be Andy Ruiz jnr. Champion, chance for history and unbelievable paydays, already beat the guy badly first time around, and you come in in that shape.
And the fat c*nt had the cheek to ask for a third rematch, in Saudi no less! Hope his career goes down the drain, doesn't deserve the big fights.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61762 on: January 3, 2020, 08:32:43 pm »

And fellas on here saying it was all mind games and he had weights in his pockets ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61763 on: January 3, 2020, 08:43:21 pm »
He had a  2 bacon butty's in each pocket more like.  ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61764 on: January 6, 2020, 08:18:49 pm »
Crawford and Errol Spence going at on twitter today, basically calling each other out.  ;D I hope Crawford knows that Spence isn't going to come back properly till next year probably.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61765 on: January 6, 2020, 08:47:30 pm »
Crawford and Errol Spence going at on twitter today, basically calling each other out.  ;D I hope Crawford knows that Spence isn't going to come back properly till next year probably.

Not convinced it would have happened anyway. Welterweight should have been great for the last couple of years.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61766 on: January 6, 2020, 09:06:41 pm »
It won't mate, boxing politics as usual. I also think Welterweight for Crawford might be a step too far. He could compete there but look just as good as before? Not sure.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #61767 on: January 6, 2020, 09:20:30 pm »
It won't mate, boxing politics as usual. I also think Welterweight for Crawford might be a step too far. He could compete there but look just as good as before? Not sure.
He's been WBO welterweight champion for a few years already.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61768 on: January 6, 2020, 09:30:39 pm »
He has but fighting naturally bigger men. Remember he's moving up weights to 147 lbs. The others like Spence are just naturally more bigger at the weight.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #61769 on: January 7, 2020, 08:36:59 am »
Ring Magazine Fighter of the Year is Canelo Alvarez

and

Fighter of the Decade hasn't been announced yet but pretty much everyone is saying it will be Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Pacman has a better shout for FOTD but I don't think he should get it either. I get that Mayweather defeated him, but Pac did more in the noughties. Also, Mayweather should be removed from consideration for fighting Conor fucking McGregor and counting it as a professional win.  :wanker

Would Loma have a shout all things considered?

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #61770 on: January 7, 2020, 08:56:55 am »
Pacman has a better shout for FOTD but I don't think he should get it either. I get that Mayweather defeated him, but Pac did more in the noughties. Also, Mayweather should be removed from consideration for fighting Conor fucking McGregor and counting it as a professional win.  :wanker

It has to be Mayweather, nobody else's record comes close

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61771 on: January 7, 2020, 09:30:29 am »

Loma came onto the scene a bit too late mate but he did just plow through everyone.  he also started at Featherweight mate. Had he started at Lightweight, which he's currently at and gone upwards in weight and did what he's done, then maybe he'd have a bigger shout. But as we all know who gives a fuck about weights below Lightweight in boxing?.  ;D

The names Floyds defeated and yes we can all say he didn't really fight those at their peaks ( ;D) but they were never going to give it to Pacman.

Offline Lee-87

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61772 on: January 7, 2020, 10:52:17 am »
We're talking decade here. Discounting the shadow of Shane Mosley at the start of the decade. I can only give Mayweather major credit for 3 victories. Vs Cotto, Vs Canelo, Vs Pacquiao. 3 great wins no doubt, but i can't bring myself to give the fighter of the decade to someone based on 3 wins in the first half of that decade.

I see that as Mayweather fighting three 50/50-ish fights out of 10. I would argue that say, Josh Warrington for example, won in a similar fashion in 3 straight wins against Selby, Frampton & Galahad. Obviously Warrington isn't getting fighter of the decade but that was just an example of impressive wins the last decade. Usyk, in a similar way fought the very best Cruiser had to offer and overcome them all before moving up to heavy. Andre Ward is up there for me too, wins against Froch, Barrera, Kovalev x2 etc.

Point is, if you give it to Mayweather you're likely giving it based on those 3 wins, i think there are fighters the past decade who have had equally impressive wins giving their odds and chances going in to the fights, with the exception that some carried on after the halfway point and are still doing it to this day.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61773 on: January 7, 2020, 12:19:30 pm »
Anything popping up this month fight wise

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61774 on: January 7, 2020, 12:24:22 pm »
Other than Danny Garcia and Demetrius Andrade fighting towards the end of the month mate nothing else really.  :wave And even then not sure you want to stay up for those two.  ;D

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61775 on: January 7, 2020, 01:59:04 pm »
Other than Danny Garcia and Demetrius Andrade fighting towards the end of the month mate nothing else really.  :wave And even then not sure you want to stay up for those two.  ;D

Literally couldn't pay me to watch Andrade.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #61776 on: January 7, 2020, 02:07:23 pm »
Literally couldn't pay me to watch Andrade.

I'd watch it in the hope that he gets beat, dont think he will mind.

i like Luke Keeler he lives round the corner from my mam's

but i wont be staying up to silly o'clock to watch it haha will be a youtube job the monring after
« Last Edit: January 7, 2020, 02:12:29 pm by gwalk »

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61777 on: January 7, 2020, 03:35:03 pm »
We're talking decade here. Discounting the shadow of Shane Mosley at the start of the decade. I can only give Mayweather major credit for 3 victories. Vs Cotto, Vs Canelo, Vs Pacquiao. 3 great wins no doubt, but i can't bring myself to give the fighter of the decade to someone based on 3 wins in the first half of that decade.

I see that as Mayweather fighting three 50/50-ish fights out of 10. I would argue that say, Josh Warrington for example, won in a similar fashion in 3 straight wins against Selby, Frampton & Galahad. Obviously Warrington isn't getting fighter of the decade but that was just an example of impressive wins the last decade. Usyk, in a similar way fought the very best Cruiser had to offer and overcome them all before moving up to heavy. Andre Ward is up there for me too, wins against Froch, Barrera, Kovalev x2 etc.

Point is, if you give it to Mayweather you're likely giving it based on those 3 wins, i think there are fighters the past decade who have had equally impressive wins giving their odds and chances going in to the fights, with the exception that some carried on after the halfway point and are still doing it to this day.
Yep, utter bollocks to give him fighter of the 2010s; I guess wins over stellar opponents such as McGregor and Berto sealed it eh?  ::) Looking back, Loma's record is much more impressive in this decade. Fuck it, let's give it to Fury for beating Wlad and drawing with Wilder while we are at it.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61778 on: January 7, 2020, 03:44:48 pm »
If anything I'd give it to Andre Ward. Undoubtedly the best Super Middleweight of his era and at that weight match for anyone P4P in history and then goes up to Light Heavy and beats Ivan Drago wannabe himself twice. And at that point Kovalev was probably the most feared boxer on the planet.  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61779 on: January 7, 2020, 04:13:02 pm »
If anything I'd give it to Andre Ward. Undoubtedly the best Super Middleweight of his era and at that weight match for anyone P4P in history and then goes up to Light Heavy and beats Ivan Drago wannabe himself twice. And at that point Kovalev was probably the most feared boxer on the planet.  ;D

It should have been Andre Ward.  Hit his prime at just the right time for this decade, could have built an all time great CV.  But then he spent most of it in the courtroom instead of the ring.

Gets bonus points for punching Kovalev in the bollocks until he cried though.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61780 on: January 7, 2020, 04:28:43 pm »

It should have been Andre Ward.  Hit his prime at just the right time for this decade, could have built an all time great CV.  But then he spent most of it in the courtroom instead of the ring.

Gets bonus points for punching Kovalev in the bollocks until he cried though.

;D

And another bonus is he wasn't a c*nt outside of the ring, he didn't need a persona inside of the ring. He was just Andre Ward...and he was in Creed.  ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61781 on: January 7, 2020, 11:48:48 pm »
I see Fury going around today calling Usyk a bum because he was today officially recognised as the WBO #1 contender saying it should be him as #1 for all the titles. I get calling the rest bums but Usyk? The fucker is getting boring now.  ;D

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61782 on: January 8, 2020, 12:18:16 am »
I'd give it to Ward for humbling Froch, Froch wanted no part of that rematch, Ward took his soul in that fight

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61783 on: January 8, 2020, 12:22:37 am »
At least Froch fought  on front of 80k at Wembley.  Wad fought in front of 2 men and their dog in Oakland or wherever he came from. ;D

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61784 on: January 8, 2020, 08:57:26 am »
I'd give it to Ward for humbling Froch, Froch wanted no part of that rematch, Ward took his soul in that fight

And still has it in his hands.

To be fair Groves has it also and Froch beat him at Wembley stadium in front of 80k people did you know?

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61785 on: January 8, 2020, 09:08:01 am »
And still has it in his hands.

To be fair Groves has it also and Froch beat him at Wembley stadium in front of 80k people did you know?

How can Grives have his soul when he lost twice? First one was a British stoppage but 2nd one was very conclusive

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61786 on: January 8, 2020, 10:56:39 am »
How can Grives have his soul when he lost twice? First one was a British stoppage but 2nd one was very conclusive

Because Froch still get rattled by him even though he won twice.

Froch is a transparent man. If he is rattled then you've got to him in one way or another. He can't move on.

Maybe, he thought it was going to be an easy fight.. I don't know.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61787 on: January 8, 2020, 11:10:08 am »
Froch/Groves is second only to Khan/Brook in getting the Boxing thread going ;D

Froch did act like he had lost those two fights for a while, Groves was in his head a bit.  But they seem to be buddies these days.  Groves is busy winding up Carl Frampton now for some reason.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61788 on: January 8, 2020, 11:26:18 am »
Because Froch still get rattled by him even though he won twice.

Froch is a transparent man. If he is rattled then you've got to him in one way or another. He can't move on.

Maybe, he thought it was going to be an easy fight.. I don't know.
I think he's just a c*nt.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61789 on: January 8, 2020, 01:04:37 pm »

Offline rhysd

• Kopite
  • Igor
« Reply #61790 on: January 8, 2020, 06:01:49 pm »
I think he's just a c*nt.

Froch is one if those people that anything anyone ever says, he's always done it better.

Always looking to one up people and be the big man.

He's a tool.
20 and 7

Offline rhysd

• Kopite
  • Igor
« Reply #61791 on: January 8, 2020, 06:05:37 pm »
Spence v Crawford would be very interesting.

Spence is a really big welter, would love to see how Crawford coped with the size difference.

Doubt it will ever happen though.
20 and 7

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #61792 on: January 9, 2020, 04:09:32 pm »
Just seen that Josh Taylor has signed for Bob Arum (Top Rank) & MTK. Also means no more Shane McGuigan as his trainer.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61793 on: January 9, 2020, 04:43:06 pm »
I'm starting to hate these clauses now. It's up to the boxer who he trains with, shouldn't be a fuckin' promoter.  :wanker

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61794 on: January 9, 2020, 08:51:34 pm »
Just seen that Josh Taylor has signed for Bob Arum (Top Rank) & MTK. Also means no more Shane McGuigan as his trainer.

Nice court battle there then?

Shocked Taylor moved considering where his ex management team had got him too and he's off straight away.

Shame!

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61795 on: January 9, 2020, 08:52:23 pm »
Froch/Groves is second only to Khan/Brook in getting the Boxing thread going ;D

Froch did act like he had lost those two fights for a while, Groves was in his head a bit.  But they seem to be buddies these days.  Groves is busy winding up Carl Frampton now for some reason.

Think we found out today way Groves was winding up Frampton.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2020, 11:16:19 pm by Fordy »

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61796 on: January 9, 2020, 11:03:07 pm »
Spence v Crawford would be very interesting.

Spence is a really big welter, would love to see how Crawford coped with the size difference.

Doubt it will ever happen though.
I'd back Bud to win via comfortable UD to be honest. Porter gave Spence as much as he can handle. Porter is a very good fighter but levels below Crawford. Spence is excellent but not as good as advertised IMO.

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61797 on: January 9, 2020, 11:19:45 pm »
Was Taylor under contract ?
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61798 on: January 9, 2020, 11:45:43 pm »
I'd back Bud to win via comfortable UD to be honest. Porter gave Spence as much as he can handle. Porter is a very good fighter but levels below Crawford. Spence is excellent but not as good as advertised IMO.

Spence is the bigger man mate. A more natural Welter, Crawford is coming up through the weight's and eventually it catches everyone up.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61799 on: January 9, 2020, 11:46:41 pm »
Was Taylor under contract ?

Probably was mate but it's not like a footie contract you sign, for like 4 years or something and then you renegotiate.  ;D