Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399485 times)

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #2440 on: January 9, 2019, 09:54:05 am »
We're going to the do the league & CL double.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #2441 on: January 9, 2019, 09:57:43 am »
I wont and we certainly shouldnt seek the approval and adulation of others to get absolutely hammered in celebration of winning a title.

If Liverpool win the league I wouldn't give a fuck what City go on to do. Liverpool would have removed a 29 year long monkey off their back.

By no means will it ever ruin my party lol  ;D
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2442 on: January 9, 2019, 09:59:40 am »
In general terms I would say the Champions League is at least equal or slightly more important than any national League Title. However in some situations, its different.

For Liverpool, the title is unquestionably the priority and I would be surprised if you could find anyone who would take the CL over the League. You could even argue that for the likes of United (nearly 7 years with no title now!) the league is more important than the CL. For the likes of Barcelona and Chelsea who have all won their leagues fairly recently, and especially City, the CL is more important no question (I won't even bother including Juve, Bayern & PSG who's national leagues have become jokes - Dortmund excepted this year). This is why last Thursday was so galling, I think City are/were only 1 more bad round of results away from completely dropping their focus in the league.

But for Liverpool, I would say the league is more important than any trophy is to any other club. If City won the CL, Everton the FA Cup, Spurs the League Cup and United won every remaining game to finish second I would not give two fiddler's fucks about any of them.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2443 on: January 9, 2019, 10:28:16 am »
We're going to the do the league & CL double.

Correct.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2444 on: January 9, 2019, 04:33:36 pm »
In general terms I would say the Champions League is at least equal or slightly more important than any national League Title. However in some situations, its different.

For Liverpool, the title is unquestionably the priority and I would be surprised if you could find anyone who would take the CL over the League. You could even argue that for the likes of United (nearly 7 years with no title now!) the league is more important than the CL. For the likes of Barcelona and Chelsea who have all won their leagues fairly recently, and especially City, the CL is more important no question (I won't even bother including Juve, Bayern & PSG who's national leagues have become jokes - Dortmund excepted this year). This is why last Thursday was so galling, I think City are/were only 1 more bad round of results away from completely dropping their focus in the league.

But for Liverpool, I would say the league is more important than any trophy is to any other club. If City won the CL, Everton the FA Cup, Spurs the League Cup and United won every remaining game to finish second I would not give two fiddler's fucks about any of them.

Liverpool being league champions again would mean everything. Would be transformational for Klopp and his squad too.

For City, winning the CL would be good for their brand and story, but they'll still gonna go out and buy £150 million footballers in the summer, no matter what.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2445 on: January 9, 2019, 04:40:58 pm »
For the club and the supporters, winning the league, for some of the players I'd say that winning the European cup is just as significant.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #2446 on: January 9, 2019, 04:45:17 pm »
To be honest if we win the league i wouldn't want City to win the CL. Guarantee people would play down us winning the league because City "concentrated on winning the BIG ONE".

If we win the league I'll be drunk in a ditch for a month and I'll have to google who won the CL

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2447 on: January 9, 2019, 04:47:33 pm »
If we win the league I'll be drunk in a ditch for a month and I'll have to google who won the CL

I may see you in that ditch  ;D

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #2448 on: January 9, 2019, 05:11:56 pm »

"Fuck, we did the double!"

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2449 on: January 9, 2019, 07:24:56 pm »
Last season, we were on 54 points after 27 before we went to Marbella. Then we had 21 points from 11 afterwards, so PPG approximately the same. However, those 11 include Chelsea, United away, which we lost. We also went on a good CL run...  ;)

I’m sure it helps with morale and enjoying some sun more than anything.

Cheers mate, wasn't sure how we normally perform after them and whether it had any impact on how we go on to end the season after training abroad

Hopefully it benefits us significantly this season

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2450 on: January 9, 2019, 07:34:18 pm »
In addition we played some weakened teams to focus on the Champions League in a couple of those league games.

On paper, this looks absolutely great - 4 points, clear, only 5 games in 34 days and a warm weather camp in the middle. But those games still need to be won. 15 points will give us a minimum 4 point lead with a dozen games remaining.

Offline anoopvk

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #2451 on: January 10, 2019, 06:26:55 am »
Just wondering how did BVB performed after new year under Klopp?

Also in the PL how were we under Klopp in new year, if i remember correctly we were pretty good last season untill we started concentrating on CL. Is that correct?
"We must turn from doubters to believers"

Offline U-238A

• Main Stander
« Reply #2452 on: January 10, 2019, 07:09:20 am »
"Fuck, we did the double!"

He'll need to upgrade ditches to appropriately reflect the occasion.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2453 on: January 10, 2019, 09:23:27 am »
For the club and the supporters, winning the league, for some of the players I'd say that winning the European cup is just as significant.

Fair point.

Let's win both then.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2454 on: January 10, 2019, 09:34:08 am »
I’d celebrate for a week and wouldn’t give two fucks who won what if we won the league. I’d be booking flights back to Liverpool for the party. I can’t imagine the scenes seriously. 05 was incredible. It would surpass that and I was pissed for 72 hours.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2455 on: January 10, 2019, 09:38:18 am »
Champions league will always be more important regardless of the propaganda we’ve gone 30 years without winning a league, other clubs haven’t won the Cl once in their 100 year plus history... it will always be number 1.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2456 on: January 10, 2019, 10:07:35 am »
Champions league will always be more important regardless of the propaganda we’ve gone 30 years without winning a league, other clubs haven’t won the Cl once in their 100 year plus history... it will always be number 1.
You would seriously take the Champions league over the league title this year if we could only win one of them?

We'll do both obviously so I guess it doesn't matter...

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2457 on: January 10, 2019, 10:19:57 am »

If you dont do the business in the league there is no CL football so every season the priority has to be the chase for the title. Obviously at a certain time of the season the goalposts may shift, ie last season 20 points behind City but still in the CL but at the start of the season the league has to be #1.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:21:37 am by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2458 on: January 10, 2019, 10:38:06 am »

Pretty much agree with this. As a general rule of thumb I think being European champion is a bigger deal and more prestigious than being national champion. There are definitely exceptions though - us for example, just because it's been so long since our last league title.

Varies from club to club though. For Man Utd, Arsenal, City and Chelsea they probably all want the CL more. Man Utd brand themselves as the biggest club in the world, but have only won a paltry 3 European Cups. No way can a club with so few be considered European royalty, let alone the biggest club in the world.

Arsenal need a CL just to enter the conversation of being a truly big club. They've got a great domestic record but can't ever be considered truly big until they win the top European pot.

City and Chelsea have both won a few leagues recently but are lightweights on the world stage - something their financiers and new found fans will want to address.

Spurs probably see them as equal value - it's been so long since they've won anything big so probably have no preference.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #2459 on: January 10, 2019, 10:46:00 am »
I am in the same shoes too. Haha. Well, with the thought of in the UEFA Champions League, we
need to go toe to toe with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus and other
bloody monsters that your feet sometimes are shaking by just walk into the pitch, what's more facing their forwards...
Compared to Burnley, Cardiff City and Brighton & Hove Albion in the league...
And to be the winner of that glorious cup, we are being crowned as the King of Europe.
That's what I read first in the newspaper in 2005, titled as: "Liverpool, King of Europe... What a day that moment!!
What a day.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2460 on: January 10, 2019, 10:49:04 am »
In general terms I would say the league and champions league are level. However for us, at this time, the league is more important. We want to prove we are a great team, and the league proves that to a greater extent than the champions league does.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #2461 on: January 10, 2019, 12:00:54 pm »
We've not lifted a League trophy in my lifetime. I want the League more without question.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Kopite
« Reply #2462 on: January 10, 2019, 12:49:45 pm »
We've not lifted a League trophy in my lifetime. I want the League more without question.
I was 3 when we last did, I'm now 32!  I want the league more now because that's the only thing I haven't seen us win

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #2463 on: January 10, 2019, 02:14:12 pm »
Intertoto, closely followed by the shebelieves cup for me. Was it Newcastle who were told they’d won the intertoto cup at half time during a league game, by virtue of some nebulous coefficient going there way... and we think we’ve tasted glory.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2464 on: January 10, 2019, 02:25:44 pm »
Don't care who wins what, I haven't seen the club lift a title since I was in my 20's, now in my 50's so all I care about is us winning it.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #2465 on: January 10, 2019, 02:51:52 pm »
I may or may not have trouble stop day dreaming about the double...

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #2466 on: January 10, 2019, 03:21:06 pm »
Intertoto, closely followed by the shebelieves cup for me. Was it Newcastle who were told they’d won the intertoto cup at half time during a league game, by virtue of some nebulous coefficient going there way... and we think we’ve tasted glory.
What a bizarre idea the Intertoto was. The Newcastle year:

"The 2006 UEFA Intertoto Cup was the first edition after a major change of the competition format. There were only three rounds instead of five, and eleven tournament co-winners qualified for the second qualifying round of the UEFA Cup (instead of three teams qualifying for the first round proper). Also, for the first time in the modern history of the competition, an outright winner was highlighted from the 11 co-winners of the Cup, with that honour going to the final-round Intertoto winner that advanced farthest in the UEFA Cup. This honour went to Newcastle United."

Even as a footy mad teenager who'd go to lower league games all over the county, I never paid any attention to that rubbish. Bonkers.

Offline Cheesehead

• What the hell is Brett Favrrrvre doing here?
  • Main Stander
« Reply #2467 on: January 10, 2019, 03:33:41 pm »
To be honest if we win the league i wouldn't want City to win the CL. Guarantee people would play down us winning the league because City "concentrated on winning the BIG ONE".

Who cares. We would have won the league!

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2468 on: January 10, 2019, 04:17:43 pm »
Don't care who wins what, I haven't seen the club lift a title since I was in my 20's, now in my 50's so all I care about is us winning it.

I was born in 1991, I need us to win to convince myself I wasn't a curse on us winning the league!

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2469 on: January 10, 2019, 04:43:55 pm »
I may or may not have trouble stop day dreaming about the double...

If you're not perpetually thinking about how to rotate the squad for the remainder of the season to make sure of the double you're a scab.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2470 on: January 10, 2019, 05:51:31 pm »
Always find the league vs Champions League discussion interesting, especially when you're talking about the premier league

IMO you can win the Champions league easier, don't get me wrong its an incredibly hard competition to win but you can get a very kind group, good draws, your opposition having an off day, a gamechanging reffing decision etc push you massively closer to winning the competition. You don't get the benefit of those kinds of things help you nearly as much in a domestic league campaign. There's always the 'its the best of the best' line about the Champions league, but it doesn't matter if you won your domestic league or finished 3rd or 4th, you can still win it. You're more likely to face tougher opposition but that's also no guarantee, i'm sure you could look at most sides CL opponents for each season and make equal or more challenging lists from that seasons same league campaign. A big thing for me is these bankrolled sides can stroll their domestic league, but how many of them have replicated it with CL wins? City seem to struggle, PSG aren't the frightening prospect they should be in CL games and aren't even making the final with all that money spent. Along with all the powerful sides in the CL there are plenty of sides that look absolutely awful year after year of being in the compeition

I'd be happy to win either, i'd rather win the league obviously, but winning the Champions League again would be absolutely amazing. Personally I'd rather not see another english side lift the CL in the same season we won the league, I probably shouldn't care but taking City as an example, its quite funny to watch them falter year after year in the one trophy they clearly all want to win but cant despite all that money thrown at players in an effort to make it happen, they'll likely feel they could say the same about us with the league... but that's all the more reason not to want to see them win the CL... and atleast we've made the final of it recently :lmao

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2471 on: January 10, 2019, 05:55:34 pm »
for us it means more since we haven't won it in a while, outside of the league, winning the CL imo is more prestigious worldwide, especially for attracting players.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2472 on: January 10, 2019, 05:59:10 pm »
The biggest attraction we have at this club is Jurgen Klopp and it will be the same next season, even after when we have won the league.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2473 on: January 10, 2019, 07:30:52 pm »
Finished all me jobs at 3-30 today so sat off for an hour in me Corpy van in Everton Valley and made my predictions for us and City..  We will win the league by 4pts...

City                                       
                                                                                  50pts
12/01/2019: Manchester City v Wolverhampton      W     53pts
19/01/2019: Huddersfield Town v Manchester City  W     56pts
30/01/2019: Newcastle United v Manchester City    W     59pts
02/02/2019: Manchester City v Arsenal                  W     62pts
09/02/2019: Manchester City v Chelsea                  D     63pts
23/02/2019: Everton v Manchester City                  W     66pts
27/02/2019: Manchester City v West Ham United     W    69pts
02/03/2019: A.F.C. Bournemouth v Manchester City  W   72pts
09/03/2019: Manchester City v Watford                    W   75pts
16/03/2019: Manchester United v Manchester City     D    76pts
30/03/2019: Fulham v Manchester City                      W   79pts
06/04/2019: Manchester City v Cardiff City                 W  82pts
13/04/2019: Crystal Palace v Manchester City             W  85pts
20/04/2019: Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur      W  88pts
27/04/2019: Burnley v Manchester City                       W  91pts
04/05/2019: Manchester City v Leicester City               W 94pts
12/05/2019: Brighton v Manchester City                       W 97pts

LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB

January
                                                          54pts
12 – Brighton and Hove Albion (A) W     57pts
19 – Crystal Palace (H)                 W     60pts
30 – Leicester City (H)                  W     63pts
February
2 – West Ham United (A)               W    66pts
9 – Bournemouth (H)                    W     69pts
23 – Manchester United (A)            D     70pts
27 – Watford (H)                           W     73pts
March
2 – Everton (A)                              W    76pts
9 – Burnley (H)                              W    79pts
16 – Fulham (A)                             W    82pts
30 – Tottenham Hotspur (H)            D    83pts
April
6 – Southampton (A)                      W    86pts
13 – Chelsea (H)                            W    89pts
20 – Cardiff City (A)                        W   92pts
27 – Huddersfield Town (H)              W  95pts
May
4 – Newcastle United (A)                  W   98pts
12 – Wolverhampton Wanderers (H)  W   101PTS
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:51:13 pm by Cormack Snr »

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #2474 on: January 10, 2019, 08:15:10 pm »
City need 2.76/2.82 points per game to reach 97/98 points. They've averaged 2.38 so far this season, they averaged 2.41 in the last 17 of last season (so 2.4 over their last 38 league games); 2.63 over the whole of last season.

They averaged 2.81 over the first 21 games last season. That's the level they need to rediscover, now, to reach 97/98 points. They're not playing at that level; they haven't been, consistently, since the end of 2017.

And when push comes to shove in their hectic schedule, the owners and manager's priority is the CL.

wow, thanks for this mate, I'm more convinced than ever now

Now you gotta believe us,
We're gonna win the league...
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #2475 on: January 11, 2019, 12:48:53 am »
Brighton away isnt a gimme they are quite solid at home.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #2476 on: January 11, 2019, 12:56:35 am »
Brighton away should be renamed Pulling away. Cause that is where it starts. All of our road games are now being held at Pulling, away.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2477 on: January 11, 2019, 10:02:53 am »
City need 2.76/2.82 points per game to reach 97/98 points. They've averaged 2.38 so far this season, they averaged 2.41 in the last 17 of last season (so 2.4 over their last 38 league games); 2.63 over the whole of last season.

They averaged 2.81 over the first 21 games last season. That's the level they need to rediscover, now, to reach 97/98 points. They're not playing at that level; they haven't been, consistently, since the end of 2017.

And when push comes to shove in their hectic schedule, the owners and manager's priority is the CL.

Marcus Christenson mentioned the jump in league points per game with 4 or more days' prep (on the Football Weekly podcast on Thursday 10th).

The source was Christoffer Johansson on twitter. https://twitter.com/bojochris
Specifically this thread: https://twitter.com/bojochris/status/1082330460779364352

Our points per game (based on historical stats) jumps up 0.25 when we get 4 or more prep/rest days between games, compared with games when we get 3 or fewer.

The same pattern applied at Dortmund - the jump was 0.23.

(I won't be crying if Bayern knock us out of the CL.)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:04:34 am by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2478 on: January 11, 2019, 10:06:52 am »
I think who drops points first could be crucial. If our lead falls to 2 or 1 you know there will be a lot of talk of feeling the pressure. If we can extend the lead back to 6 or 7 and City know they don’t play us again then that might feel a tall order for them, especially with all their cup commitments.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #2479 on: January 11, 2019, 10:07:30 am »
Brighton away isnt a gimme they are quite solid at home.

While I agree with this looking at the game in itself without any context.... every game has a potential to be a banana skin because we wanna win the thing. Us getting in our own heads/injuries affecting our play are the major problem now because I don't think there's any game on paper we are not favourites to win

Long as the players and managers are paying all due respect to each opposition and we show the fire in the belly to go and achieve this title win thats all we can hope for.

Thing I love about what i've heard from klopp in numerous interviews is that he doesn't shy away from challenges. Being in a position to win the league is something that is a scary prospect because of the "what ifs" and the burden of the wait we all carry.
But he is always re-affirming his desire to get out there and grab the points. Its that aggression which I want to see from this team from now until the end of the season, to batter the other teams into submission. They're all our points and we'll be damned if anyone wants to take them away from us

Seasons gone by we may not have seen the intensity carry through these latter months in the season....because there wasn't a title to win only a 4th place or whatever. Great, but thats not a trophy. This season is a whole new animal. Fuck the world we have a title to win

(I realise not much of this has much to do with the post I quoted but I rolled with it!)
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.