Author Topic: North and South Korea Vow to End Hostilities in Historic Accord  (Read 80818 times)

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: North Korea massing 50,000 troops on border
« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2010, 09:39:43 am »
Militarily China couldn't take on the US. Yet.

They may be dominant financially now (I don't know enough about it to argue) but the US is still the most powerful military force on earth.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2010, 09:40:44 am »
I must have missed China stopping the US invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq then....

And I also missed the one about China taking a portion of India, taking Tibet and the Xinjing province right under the noses of the americans and the Brits. :) And also the US stopping Iran and North Korea from having nuclear ambitions.

It works both ways. China can care less about what happens in Afghanistan or Iraq. Why? Because it means they have less worries in the Xinjing province because all the muslims are running off to fight the americans whilst China can continue moving more and more mandarin speaking chinese into this muslim province and to slowly and eventually make them a minority. And to establish mining operations, oil and gas facilities and so forth without much hinderance.

Xinjing is what Iraq is to the americans as far as oil dollars go and the Chinese have/are exploiting it to the max and investing USD$50 BILLION DOLLARS into this desolate, god forsaken province which borders the Taklamakan and Gobi deserts for a reason.

50 BILLION DOLLARS. When was the last time the americans had that sort of cash to develop infrastructure in their own country or to be able to spend that sort of cash to upgrade/replace worn out infrastructure in their own country? :)

There were benefits to the americans going into Iraq and Afghanistan you see....and China did gain from the americans wasting BILLIONS of tax payer dollars fighting in two wars it never really got a grip on from day one.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:43:12 am by Mad Men »
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #162 on: November 25, 2010, 09:42:40 am »
Sarah Palin: "We stand beside our North Korean friends"  ;D

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: November 25, 2010, 09:44:04 am »
Sarah Palin: "We stand beside our North Korean friends"  ;D

God she is an idiot. Her reality show is just as bad but it does remind me from time to time, not all americans are as stupid as her.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2010, 09:46:01 am »
Militarily China couldn't take on the US. Yet.

They may be dominant financially now (I don't know enough about it to argue) but the US is still the most powerful military force on earth.

Depends on what basis you are comparing strenght to strenght BLD.

China could take on the americans and inflict a huge amount of hurt and damage on the american military if push comes to shove. And we are not talking about nuclear levels of combat.

Once they complete their sub pens and base in Sri Lanka and in Africa, and then in South America, standby for a shift in military strenght and global power. :)

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2010, 09:52:08 am »
The Chinese could hurt the Yanks, no doubt about it, but without carriers they could never hope to take their navy on. Once their Russian carrier finishes refit and their own start to be built then that could change. It takes a long time to build a real blue water navy though.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2010, 10:03:07 am »
The Chinese could hurt the Yanks, no doubt about it, but without carriers they could never hope to take their navy on. Once their Russian carrier finishes refit and their own start to be built then that could change. It takes a long time to build a real blue water navy though.

They have their first carrier out in a year or two so...things will change a bit I reackon. And that's the scary part. The other problem is whereas in the past, the opposition could not fire a land based missle at a ship at sea and hope to hit it as accurately as needed, they can now so Carriers are in real trouble now unlike before. The threat of submarines is another thing to remember as China has a decent sized fleet that can do some major damage to any navy.

I think we are at a point in time where the Chinese are on par with the Americans but with the Americans having a slight edge in terms of technology. However, the Chinese come out with their own stealth fighter soon (russians already have started production on theirs with test flights completed a year or so ago) so it is interesting in  that sense.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:05:57 am by Mad Men »

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2010, 10:10:32 am »
I think we all kinda figured that out on page 1.

What am I trying to prove? Nothing. I am merely replying to someone's request for me to explain in more detail how I came about to my point of view.

Who are you?

Forgive me for assuming you were trying to prove a point by stressing China's growing influence in a discussion about North/South Korean tension. I genuinely thought you were trying to bring the discussion back to the original topic and explain that this shift was causing some a change in the way we should perceive the conflict, but I guess you weren't.

Well this is my take on the situation: in the event of an invasion, who do you think the South Koreans would be screaming to for help? The US of course. Now if it didn't have any power or influence in the region, would South Korea bother? We pretty much all agree that China's power is rising in relation to the United States, and that the US can no longer exert as much influence in China's backyard as it used to be able to. OK. But clearly the West still has quite a bit of power, especially in places not adjacent to China with ties that stretch back decades.

Who I am or who am I? Who am I is question for the ages thats one were all searching for to find out who I am, who's in there, who wants to come out and go, hey, I'm hungry. Who I am is to deep and profou...almost d... you gotta go in deep and pull out the thing like with that movie with the thing came out of the stomach and ate up the people on the fuckin spaceship may they rest in peace.

My name is Refo. I'm also known as Refy the groin, Ronnie the Schnoz, Elmer the Fudd, Tubby the Tuba, and once as ms/ Phyllis Levine, but that was at a party it was years ago, I smoked a tittubeb and I I had a quakalud and suddenly I'm in fishnets singin showtunes, these things happen, but is nothing to do with what I'm here with you fine gentlemen today. That being said, I am also known to the people who know me the best, as "the fuckin poster."

It is very nice to meet you Mad Man!

edit: Oops Mad Men I meant
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:14:02 am by Refo »
I'm liking this Refo-fella. Wanna adopt?

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2010, 10:14:46 am »
Forgive me for assuming you were trying to prove a point by stressing China's growing influence in a discussion about North/South Korean tension. I genuinely thought you were trying to bring the discussion back to the original topic and explain that this shift was causing some a change in the way we should perceive the conflict, but I guess you weren't.

Well this is my take on the situation: in the event of an invasion, who do you think the South Koreans would be screaming to for help? The US of course. Now if it didn't have any power or influence in the region, would South Korea bother? We pretty much all agree that China's power is rising in relation to the United States, and that the US can no longer exert as much influence in China's backyard as it used to be able to. OK. But clearly the West still has quite a bit of power, especially in places not adjacent to China with ties that stretch back decades.

Who I am or who am I? Who am I is question for the ages thats one were all searching for to find out who I am, who's in there, who wants to come out and go, hey, I'm hungry. Who I am is to deep and profou...almost d... you gotta go in deep and pull out the thing like with that movie with the thing came out of the stomach and ate up the people on the fuckin spaceship may they rest in peace.

My name is Refo. I'm also known as Refy the groin, Ronnie the Schnoz, Elmer the Fudd, Tubby the Tuba, and once as ms/ Phyllis Levine, but that was at a party it was years ago, I smoked a tittubeb and I I had a quakalud and suddenly I'm in fishnets singin showtunes, these things happen, but is nothing to do with what I'm here with you fine gentlemen today. That being said, I am also known to the people who know me the best, as "the fuckin poster."

It is very nice to meet you Mad Man!

edit: Oops Mad Men I meant

You're a legend :)

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2010, 10:27:18 am »
And I also missed the one about China taking a portion of India, taking Tibet and the Xinjing province right under the noses of the americans and the Brits. :) And also the US stopping Iran and North Korea from having nuclear ambitions.

It works both ways. China can care less about what happens in Afghanistan or Iraq. Why? Because it means they have less worries in the Xinjing province because all the muslims are running off to fight the americans whilst China can continue moving more and more mandarin speaking chinese into this muslim province and to slowly and eventually make them a minority. And to establish mining operations, oil and gas facilities and so forth without much hinderance.

Xinjing is what Iraq is to the americans as far as oil dollars go and the Chinese have/are exploiting it to the max and investing USD$50 BILLION DOLLARS into this desolate, god forsaken province which borders the Taklamakan and Gobi deserts for a reason.

50 BILLION DOLLARS. When was the last time the americans had that sort of cash to develop infrastructure in their own country or to be able to spend that sort of cash to upgrade/replace worn out infrastructure in their own country? :)

There were benefits to the americans going into Iraq and Afghanistan you see....and China did gain from the americans wasting BILLIONS of tax payer dollars fighting in two wars it never really got a grip on from day one.

hang on that's not what you were saying in your post, you said when did anyone last win an argument or case against China.

China was vociferously anti both Iraq and Afghanistan and yet it didnt stop the Americans for one minute.

The idea that they are quite happy to have a US presence right on their doorstep is naive in the extreme.

The Chinese are quite clearly playing the long game and its a strategy they've adopted for some time to avoid being perceived as an overt threat, but as of today and for the short term the US is the only power that can dictate policy as it does.

No doubt at all who the pretenders to the throne are but you'll playing the 'what if' game rather than looking at the facts as they stand now
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2010, 10:50:55 am »
hang on that's not what you were saying in your post, you said when did anyone last win an argument or case against China.

China was vociferously anti both Iraq and Afghanistan and yet it didnt stop the Americans for one minute.

The idea that they are quite happy to have a US presence right on their doorstep is naive in the extreme.

The Chinese are quite clearly playing the long game and its a strategy they've adopted for some time to avoid being perceived as an overt threat, but as of today and for the short term the US is the only power that can dictate policy as it does.

No doubt at all who the pretenders to the throne are but you'll playing the 'what if' game rather than looking at the facts as they stand now

The facts have been stated. And I never stated the Chinese liked the idea of having an american army at their doorsteps in Afghanistan and in the North-West Pakistan border region.

Go back and read what I wrote.

And no one is being pretenders to anything.

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2010, 09:05:01 pm »
Apparently the South Korean defence minister has resigned today. Reasons are said to have been a perceived weak reaction against North Korea after the sinking of that ship in May and the slow reaction to the attack on Sunday. I also read that the defence minister was considering asking the US to once again store nuclear weapons in South Korea, and that that might not have gone down too well with the South Korean president and thus perhaps contributed to the resignation.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #172 on: November 26, 2010, 08:32:43 pm »
The facts have been stated. And I never stated the Chinese liked the idea of having an american army at their doorsteps in Afghanistan and in the North-West Pakistan border region.

No but you did say the Chinese couldn't care less which is very clearly not the same as what you've just said above.

Go back and read what I wrote.

And no one is being pretenders to anything.

I have and I don't see for one minute why you've got such a woody for the Chinese in the face of such obvious and dominant American military power.

Clearly they are pretenders to the throne because they're aiming to be number one,its really not that hard a concept.
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2010, 05:29:19 am »
No but you did say the Chinese couldn't care less which is very clearly not the same as what you've just said above.

I have and I don't see for one minute why you've got such a woody for the Chinese in the face of such obvious and dominant American military power.

Clearly they are pretenders to the throne because they're aiming to be number one,its really not that hard a concept.

Pretenders to the throne? Sorry mate, you're very very wrong.

I have stated why above quite clearly. China controls what happens in Asia. Not the USA. And as much as you would like to continue to believe it does and China is an up-start, it's not the case.

The Chinese military remains the biggest threat to the United States who are in the midst of cutting their armed forces down in size and strenghts amid the worst financial crisis in it's history. And all this amid a period of time that has seen China become the world's second largest economy.

They have such a big influence within Asia, the day's when the USA could dictate to smaller asian "tiger" nations is pretty much over. Asian countries would side with China over the USA 99% of the time on most issues, Korea and Japan being the exception.

And as far as China's reach globally, they will be on par and will surpass the USA shortly as the world's major super power.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 06:04:43 am by Mad Men »

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2010, 10:44:49 pm »
Maybe this will carry on building up. Along with other conflicts around the world to kick off WW3 in 2012, which will coincide with the "end of the world in 2012" stories... ::)
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: November 28, 2010, 02:15:15 am »
Maybe this will carry on building up. Along with other conflicts around the world to kick off WW3 in 2012, which will coincide with the "end of the world in 2012" stories... ::)

Nah mate, there was this Bulgarian prophet you see - Vanga she was called - who predicted WW3 would start in November 2010.

Offline Imperium

• Main Stander
« Reply #176 on: November 28, 2010, 03:24:33 pm »
If there wasnt outside backing of the two countries, how would they both fair in a war against each other? Thoughts?

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: November 28, 2010, 03:37:22 pm »
If there wasnt outside backing of the two countries, how would they both fair in a war against each other? Thoughts?

Hard to say.

It all boils down to economics and who could afford to have a bigger army, air force and navy, as well as ballistics and the ability to wage war and win.

Technology also would be essential.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #178 on: November 28, 2010, 03:44:27 pm »

As fearsome a reputation as the ROK units got in Vietnam, the end result would probably be much the same as at the start of the original Korean war before the UN forces got involved. The disparity in numbers is simply staggering so the south could only attempt to make up for that with superior technology. But that was tried last time and didn't really work too well.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline finchie

• It's the truth I tells ya!... the truth!...
  • Kopite
« Reply #179 on: November 28, 2010, 06:55:38 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11855162
At the bottom of this article the strength of the 2 countries is displayed.

Looks like winning the battle in the air would be the South's best chance.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: November 28, 2010, 09:40:12 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11855162
At the bottom of this article the strength of the 2 countries is displayed.

Looks like winning the battle in the air would be the South's best chance.

Comparing the budgets, you'd have to figure that a lot of the NK hardware is painfully obsolete.

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: November 29, 2010, 10:07:31 pm »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/29/wikileaks-cables-china-reunified-korea/print

China has signalled its readiness to accept Korean reunification and is privately distancing itself from the North Korean regime, according to leaked US embassy cables that reveal senior Beijing figures regard their official ally as a "spoiled child".

News of the Chinese shift comes at a crucial juncture after the North's artillery bombardment of a South Korean island last week that killed four people and led both sides to threaten war. China has refused to condemn the North Korean action. But today Beijing appeared to bow to US pressure to help bring about a diplomatic solution, calling for "emergency consultations" and inviting a senior North Korean official to Beijing.

China is sharply critical of US pressure tactics towards North Korea and wants a resumption of the six-party nuclear disarmament talks. But the Guardian can reveal Beijing's frustration with Pyongyang has grown since its missile and nuclear tests last year, worries about the economic impact of regional instability, and fears that the death of the dictator, Kim Jong-il, could spark a succession struggle.

China's moves to distance itself from Kim are revealed in the latest tranche of leaked US embassy cables published by the Guardian and four international newspapers. Tonight, the US secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, said the US "deeply regrets" the release of the material by WikiLeaks. They were an "attack on the international community", she said. "It puts people's lives in danger, threatens our national security and undermines efforts to work with other countries to solve shared problems," she told reporters at the state department.

The leaked North Korea dispatches detail how:

• South Korea's vice-foreign minister said he was told by two named senior Chinese officials that they believed Korea should be reunified under Seoul's control, and that this view was gaining ground with the leadership in Beijing.

• China's vice-foreign minister told US officials that Pyongyang was behaving like a "spoiled child" to get Washington's attention in April 2009 by carrying out missile tests.

• A Chinese ambassador warned that North Korean nuclear activity was "a threat to the whole world's security".

• Chinese officials assessed that it could cope with an influx of 300,000 North Koreans in the event of serious instability, according to a representative of an international agency, but might need to use the military to seal the border.

In highly sensitive discussions in February this year, the-then South Korean vice-foreign minister, Chun Yung-woo, told a US ambassador, Kathleen Stephens, that younger generation Chinese Communist party leaders no longer regarded North Korea as a useful or reliable ally and would not risk renewed armed conflict on the peninsula, according to a secret cable to Washington.

Chun, who has since been appointed national security adviser to South Korea's president, said North Korea had already collapsed economically.

Political collapse would ensue once Kim Jong-il died, despite the dictator's efforts to obtain Chinese help and to secure the succession for his son, Kim Jong-un.

"Citing private conversations during previous sessions of the six-party talks , Chun claimed [the two high-level officials] believed Korea should be unified under ROK [South Korea] control," Stephens reported.

"The two officials, Chun said, were ready to 'face the new reality' that the DPRK [North Korea] now had little value to China as a buffer state – a view that, since North Korea's first nuclear test in 2006, had reportedly gained traction among senior PRC [People's Republic of China] leaders. Chun argued that in the event of a North Korean collapse, China would clearly 'not welcome' any US military presence north of the DMZ [demilitarised zone]. Again citing his conversations with [the officials], Chun said the PRC would be comfortable with a reunified Korea controlled by Seoul and anchored to the US in a 'benign alliance' – as long as Korea was not hostile towards China. Tremendous trade and labour-export opportunities for Chinese companies, Chun said, would also help 'salve' PRC concerns about … a reunified Korea.

"Chun dismissed the prospect of a possible PRC military intervention in the event of a DPRK collapse, noting that China's strategic economic interests now lie with the United States, Japan and South Korea – not North Korea."

Chun told Stephens China was unable to persuade Pyongyang to change its self-defeating policies – Beijing had "much less influence than most people believe" – and lacked the will to enforce its views.

A senior Chinese official, speaking off the record, also said China's influence with the North was frequently overestimated. But Chinese public opinion was increasingly critical of the North's behaviour, the official said, and that was reflected in changed government thinking.

Previously hidden tensions between Pyongyang and its only ally were also exposed by China's then vice-foreign minister in a meeting in April 2009 with a US embassy official after North Korea blasted a three-stage rocket over Japan into the Pacific. Pyongyang said its purpose was to send a satellite into orbit but the US, South Korea and Japan saw the launch as a test of long-range missile technology.

Discussing how to tackle the issue with the charge d'affaires at the Beijing embassy, He Yafei observed that "North Korea wanted to engage directly with the United States and was therefore acting like a 'spoiled child' in order to get the attention of the 'adult'. China encouraged the United States, 'after some time', to start to re-engage the DPRK," according to the diplomatic cable sent to Washington.

A second dispatch from September last year described He downplaying the Chinese premier's trip to Pyongyang, telling the US deputy secretary of state, James Steinberg: "We may not like them ... [but] they [the DPRK] are a neighbour."

He said the premier, Wen Jiabao, would push for denuclearisation and a return to the six-party talks. The official also complained that North Korea "often tried to play China off [against] the United States, refusing to convey information about US-DPRK bilateral conversations".

Further evidence of China's increasing dismay with Pyongyang comes in a cable in June 2009 from the US ambassador to Kazakhstan, Richard Hoagland. He reported that his Chinese counterpart, Cheng Guoping. was "genuinely concerned by North Korea's recent nuclear missile tests. 'We need to solve this problem. It is very troublesome,' he said, calling Korea's nuclear activity a 'threat to the whole world's security'."

Cheng said Beijing "hopes for peaceful reunification in the long term, but he expects the two countries to remain separate in the short term", Hoagland reported. China's objectives were "to ensure they [North Korean leaders] honour their commitments on non-proliferation, maintain stability, and 'don't drive [Kim Jong-il] mad'."

While some Chinese officials are reported to have dismissed suggestions that North Korea would implode after Kim's death, another cable offers evidence that Beijing has considered the risk of instability.

It quoted a representative from an international agency saying Chinese officials believed they could absorb 300,000 North Koreans without outside help. If they arrived "all at once" it might use the military to seal the border, create a holding area and meet humanitarian needs. It might also ask other countries for help.

The context of the discussions was not made explicit, although an influx of that scale would only be likely in the event of regime failure. The representative said he was not aware of any contingency planning to deal with large numbers of refugees.

A Seoul embassy cable from January 2009 said China's leader, Hu Jintao, deliberately ducked the issue when the South Korean president, Lee Myung-bak, raised it at a summit.

"We understand Lee asked Hu what China thought about the North Korean domestic political situation and whether Beijing had any contingency plans. This time, Hu apparently pretended not to hear Lee," it said. The cable does not indicate the source of the reports, although elsewhere it talks about contacts at the presidential "blue house" in South Korea.
I'm liking this Refo-fella. Wanna adopt?

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2010, 05:39:51 pm »
These leaks are lots of fun! I think we'd all be pretty happy if China took a firm stance against that regime.
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline kopite@m45

• A frightening peek inside the mind of a Tory voter... fuck me its roomy in here
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mo mo mo, Mo Sissoko
« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2010, 06:27:54 pm »
China 'invites' NK representative for discussions. Otherwise known as drag your arse in here so I can give it a good welly.

I read in the Sunday Telegraph that China holds 3 Trillion dollars worth of US debt.

Maybe cyber warfare would be a valuable weapon to be used against the US who are so heavily dependant on satellites for their weapons systems.

Who would win a straight battle ? Well the Chinese don't seem to be able to carry the fight across the Pacific, so it would probably be the Americans that would go to them (the Americans historically tend to go on the offence) with all the logistic nightmares that would entail, but no doubt they have already done war-gaming with this in mind.

Who would support either side ? Depends on which regime you prefer. If you think the Yanks are oppressive.....
A legendary dickhead, no less.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #184 on: November 30, 2010, 07:38:01 pm »
A custom title has never been better!
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline kopite@m45

• A frightening peek inside the mind of a Tory voter... fuck me its roomy in here
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mo mo mo, Mo Sissoko
« Reply #185 on: December 1, 2010, 07:32:15 pm »
Sorry Canada, maybe you'd like to tell me where you think I am so badly wrong ?

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: December 5, 2010, 04:27:56 am »
Sorry Canada, maybe you'd like to tell me where you think I am so badly wrong ?

I do believe the original "who would win?" question was regarding North Korea versus the South...

Offline kopite@m45

• Legacy Fan
  • Mo mo mo, Mo Sissoko
« Reply #187 on: December 5, 2010, 05:31:34 pm »
Would this then mean that the Yanks, Russians, Chinese and everybody else who wants a say would be excluded ? You mean just a straight North vs South ? Well the North have lots of personnel, some of whom are capable of raiding the South's rearguard. Given that Seoul is pretty close to the border it is virtually indefensible. So the South would have to kick off proceedings in order to take full advantage if its technical superiority. However the North have vast caves capable of holding whole armies so the whole thing will be messy (what war isn't?).

Maybe the thought of killing your relatives in a different uniform doesn't really appeal ?

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: December 6, 2010, 01:34:20 pm »
I do believe the original "who would win?" question was regarding North Korea versus the South...

It was a stupid question to begin with.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #189 on: December 7, 2010, 03:31:53 am »
It was a stupid question to begin with.

Is there any question you don't think is stupid?

If it comes to war, so be it. I'd love a Unified Korea.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2017, 10:53:42 pm »

They have their first carrier out in a year or two so...things will change a bit I reackon. And that's the scary part.

The Type 001A is alive. The dry-dock in Dalian has been flooded and the carrier has entered sevice.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2017, 11:27:56 pm »
Something looks strange about it.

It looks very small up against the other boats.

A pocket aircraft carrier.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2017, 11:51:11 pm »

Don't need all that runway what with a cool ass skate ramp to launch off eh

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2017, 12:00:15 am »
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2017, 07:30:12 am »

Try this view...

To get a sense of scale, there's two guys near the front of the ski-ramp.

Though not as large or as capable as the US behemoths, it's as big as our two new carriers so I wouldn't exactly call it small.

This chart shows the size of the Liaoning, on which this new one is based, compared to others...

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2017, 10:56:20 pm »
News of another ballistic missile fired from NK.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2017, 11:33:58 pm »
News of another ballistic missile fired from NK.

Failed test launch

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2017, 11:23:16 pm »
 ITV News‏Verified account @itvnews 2m2 minutes ago

North Korea 'launches ballistic missile'
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2017, 12:18:16 am »

I think Jezza should fly out to NK immediately and have a natter and a cup of tea with Kim, try and calm him down.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2017, 12:26:05 am »
Doesn't seem like this one was a failure.  If anything NK seems to be stepping up it's missile tests  rather than pull back.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?