Author Topic: LFC 4-0 Fulham Eyewitness Report  (Read 7442 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
LFC 4-0 Fulham Eyewitness Report
« on: December 23, 2012, 01:00:24 am »
If you've ever wanted a proper Christmas game, this was it.
All the ingredients for a fun filled festive evening kick off were there:

Friends - old and new
Goodwill to all men
Panto villains
The Colours of Father Christmas
Silent Night
and everyone going home with a warm fuzzy feeling of finally getting the present we've been expecting for a long while...

Friends
Turning up early for a mini mod get together it was lovely to meet up with 5th Benitle, Claire, 24/7, and Rhi and Hally never mind Lents and Harinder all popping into the Sandon, out of the rain, into the beer. We mostly had that quiet concern that goes with being a Red these days, an expectation of victory but an acknowledgement that it won't be easy and unless the presumed possession is converted speedily into goals, we'll be frustrated..

and so to the ground... Anfield filling up with the usual red and white santa hats, full of cheer, beer and hope.

The team consisted of the usual suspects, the facts are elsewhere, but suffice to say my spec from the Anny Rd end was one of The Colours of Father Christmas: dark green pitch with red and white players a plenty kicking the ball around in seeming mirrored warm ups.. We play close passing, they play close passing, we do touch and shoot practice, they do touch and shoot warm ups, we use the spare goal they er... completely ignored it...

Here's a photo of us being so bored warming up, we've all gone in and left the Londoners to it..

Panto villains and old friends
Anyway Fulham consisted of a lot of tall players with a good ol pantomime villain up front, Dimitar Berbatov. Never mind your Clattenburgs and cockney boo boys, here was a proper good ol' fashioned player who looked like Dracula, hated crosses like Dracula, played well to be fair, but was booed at every touch and rightly so - he's a greasy wanker. He probably hoped for the moniker 'Dimitar the Scimitar' when he was old enough to hear he'd beein called such a name, but tonight, thankly his luck was blunter than a hungry vampires tooth. But his short passing, and basic ground skills were still there for all to boo see.
And he's behind you... there was OOH AH I would like to know how you retain your ginger hair do in the face of being turned down by most of Girls Aloud, our Johnny Riise. Two eyes, one foot, nae chance. Downing had him in his princely paid pocket most of the match but his early return for the second half was richly rewarded with a few renditions of his song and again when he took a long throw in, fortunately down by his own corner flag in the 2nd half.

Goodwill to all men mostly came in the form of the space allowed firstly to Martin Skrtel to score his goal.

A £10 stake on Martin scoring first with a result of 2-1 to us would've paid out £910. Fuck knows what the same 1st scorer and 4-0 would've given back... Fulham were, to be fair, and considered, shit. Even at 3-0 up we still looked like we wanted to be first to the ball, pressing and interested. we played well, but not that well. Certainly for my money, no better than we were against Arsenal, or Villa for long periods last week, but this time it worked. Goodwill indeed. Gerrard was allowed to waltz into the box for his second, goodwill to Downing for his shot, his first league assist, (yes, about.fucking.time.) according to statto's worthier of memory than I and Luis' final goal was a proper return for his effort, unselfishness and probable frustration of being surrounded by some players whose mind work at about 10% the rate of his. Yes Shelvey I'm looking at you.

Suso looked like someone had left the mascot on and was having fun til his dad caught him out. And Fulham playing with one up front, Vampire Dimbo, meant our defence were not troubled in the first half.

Nor I by the meat and potato half time pie, the Anny Rd backstage may be crowded but I like the pies back there. And the fact that the fattish kid sat next to me only bothered to turn up after half time, so I had a free extra seat for the first half.

Goodwill even extended to Mark Clattenburg. Actually that's a complete lie. There were two blatant pushes he ignored, and Suarez's throat will testify to several choke holds ignored by the Mark in the Middle. Or no mark if he continues to be lazy. His interpretation of what constitutes advantage needs adjusting, and his ass hole refs need to carefully look at the offsides against Suarez in the first half.

Even goodwill to Pepe's unorthodox leg save in the first half meant the ball headed redwards...

Silent Night: the atmos took off three times: once deservedly and unanimously supported for the Stand Up for the 96, and plaudits to Fulham Fans for joining in, as far as I could see. The second was for Luis' song, not the best in my opinion but still got us going.
We also need a song about going the season without a penalty... I'd suggest Pink Floyd's We don't need no education: "We don't need no pens this season, we just need some ball control, no dark sarcasm for the ref now, we'll just score some normal goals..." but that's why I'm not a song writer.

The third time the ground properly woke up was at half time when a couple of flags demonstrating the links between Liverpool and Borussia Munchengladbach were paraded around the pitch perimter and the German team's fan club had turned up in numbers, in the Upper Anny Rd, singing their beer drinking footy song. They were deservedly and loudly applauded, tache's and steins all.

But as often is the case with a later kick off, thoughts turned to turkeys, presents and whatever happened to Igor Biscan, never mind opponents who kind of sit in the no mans land of not being hated, not being noted, not being dangerous but not being shit, the ground was largely content to shout the odd chant, do the usual rounds of this and that, and then settle down for Strictly Come Suarez.

Half time continued with, in the persistent drizzle, the usual zonal raking... I'm tempted to shove on a dark blue coat and bring a rake in and mooch on pitch at half time aimlessly prodding random sods in the hope they'll settle down. A bit like being a copper at a riot then... (*ayeee thank ewe)

The second half saw Fulham adopt a 4-4-2, bringing on what looked like the Predator to play for them, but turned out to be Hugo Rodallega and a funky hair do. They were better for it. But still with Berbatov allowed to shoot a couple of times, and Pepe spilling one to Martin to boot away, (note the applause Pepe got when he took one back pass of many and just hoofed it upfield ;) ), they were still not much better. We watched what happens if Downing believes the hype and shoots properly, he scored and nearly did again. Interestingly it looked like Jol had told his team to cut us off just inside their half yet both he and Johnson were allowed too often to cut in from the outside.

I'd like to mention Gerrard... Gerrard ah Stevie... You got man of the match from John Aldridge and plaudits on Motted but for me, whilst your passing was lovely, there were still times when you looked like you'd decided and picked and selected which attack would be worthy of your runs and which wouldn't. There was a case where we broke and the ball went to Shelvey on the left (2nd half, attacking the Kop). He passed it quickly to his right expecting someone to pick it up and move on, but the whole space was empty. Gerrard had chosen simply not to run with it. Now I know he's not got the legs he had, but but but but... it's a tricky one and one we must think about at some point. This is a transitional season for him, and how best to use him is happily not my choice. I'm not grumbling, I'm merely mumbling...

Anyroad, we won and won well, even Jamie Carragher was let on for a bit, Lucas didn't get injured, Downing played!! and Henderson turns out it was Allen, my eyes are going looked interested. There was a clean sheet and we showed some of the lovely interplay we're capable of. But I'd like to thank the two Martins: Martin Skrtel for a lovely opener that freed us up and Martin Jol for telling his team to be good elves and let us all have that warm fuzzy glow.

Home in the rain. Gawd bless everyone of us. :wave
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:59:40 pm by DingDong Merrily on Hinesy »
Yep.

royhendo

Re: LFC 4-0 Fulham Eyewitness Report
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:59:32 am »
Brilliant mate, thoroughly enjoyed that. A nice lead-in to Xmas!

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 11:43:46 am »
Ah, memories Mr Hines. :wave

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 12:13:38 pm »
:wave
Yep.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 12:36:37 pm »
Really enjoyed that....

Best one so far

Fulham were, to be fair, and considered, shit

The best summary of a match any of us will see for yonks ;)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 01:15:13 pm »
Terrific stuff Hinesy.

I love the BMG link. Whoever would have thought that might happen back in 77 (or indeed 73).
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 01:25:04 pm »
Lovely write-up Hinesy, sounds like you really enjoyed it. That pitch must have been glistening with the evening floodlights drenching the soaked pitch. It doesn't always rain like this in Liverpool :)

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 02:12:08 pm »
Anyroad, we won and won well, even Jamie Carragher was let on for a bit, Lucas didn't get injured, Downing played!! and Henderson looked interested.

You really need to curtail your fixation with Henderson.

He did not play yesterday.

Otherwise a good eye-witness match précis.
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 03:17:55 pm »

A £10 stake on Martin scoring first with a result of 2-1 to us would've paid out £910. Fuck knows what the same 1st scorer and 4-0 would've given back...

fwiw, my mate had a bet on Skrtel 1st goal and 3-0 (145-1) with a £3 stake. He was less than pleased when Suarez scored!

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 03:51:21 pm »
Sorry, it was Allen who came on, (my eyes are old) but I'm not fixated with him as I hardly ever write about him.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:58:31 pm by DingDong Merrily on Hinesy »
Yep.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 06:10:44 pm »
Nice one hinesy, great write up.

Oh and I saw more BMG fans than Fulham ones!! Dedicated bunch, them. I must either stop wearing my half and half or learn more German....

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 06:18:46 pm »
Nice one hinesy, great write up.

Oh and I saw more BMG fans than Fulham ones!! Dedicated bunch, them. I must either stop wearing my half and half or learn more German....

Indeed a nice write up

I though am annoyed. The steward I know went drinking with them in the Sandon, along with George Sefton

Pfft. Could have thanked him personally!

Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Not too Xabi

• for Rachel!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 08:12:44 pm »
 ;D Strictly Come Suarez
"Winning trophies has made me put on weight"  - Rafa Benitez

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 09:26:40 pm »
Warm fuzzy glow, too right.

We looked comfortable and for once, the atmosphere improved the longer the match went on - nicely paced by our goals. Not sure how it was in the Annie Road, but at the back of the Kop old and new songs were flowing.

We sang Liverbird upon my chest in 306. I have to keep mentioning that because it never happens, and it is one of our best songs. I don't think we gave the ball away while we were singing it either.

A proper, full, 'We love you Liverpool, we do'. Plenty of festive Oh come all ye faithful. And Brendan's new song. I keep wondering if we'll keep singing that into the summer:
So here is Brendan Rodgers
Everybody's having fun
Look to the future now
It's only just begun

Long may that feeling continue.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Yorkshirered

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 10:17:32 pm »

fwiw, my mate had a bet on Skrtel 1st goal and 3-0 (145-1) with a £3 stake. He was less than pleased when Suarez scored

I had £2.50 on the very same bet would have won nigh on £350. & for seconds I had rodallega (spelling) to score last & us to win 4-1 @ odds of 250/1 £2.50 on, I was praying he got that ball at the end and waltz round pepe to score but hey never mind at least we won gggggggggrrrrrrr.  :duh :duh :duh :duh
Let's all laugh at Everton

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 04:50:35 am »
"We don't need no pens this season, we just need some ball control, no dark sarcasm for the ref now, we'll just score some normal goals..."

I love it! :P

We don't need no pens this season,
duh, da-duh, duh, duh, duh, duh, da-duh, da-duh

we just need some ball control

no sarcasm for the ref now

we'll just score some normal goals

hey! Howard!... Leave our goals alone!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:57:04 am by Fluke »
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 06:35:32 am »
Might be missing something but why did the BM fans come to Anfield, just a random visit?
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 07:22:20 pm »
A game that started on the front foot in a similar manner as the Villa game had.  The distinction between the two being the early goal and the absence of getting caught in possession in our own half.  We maintained the tempo and killed the game off which was refreshing to see.

Bemused as to why we all have such a shite opinion of Liverpool Football Club.  We lose against an average team at home and it's because we are dross.  We beat a team 4-0 (and should have probably won 6 or 7 nil!) and it's because the opposition are dross.  When United or City thump the poorer teams they seem to get the plaudits - not sure why we don't.  Maybe Fulham weren't very good but lets be consistent with our interpretations.  Ah well.

First time this season I can say that nobody played badly and nobody made a simple mistake.  Never thought I'd say it but credit where it is due - Downing was very good.  Good to see Stevie push the shite back down the throats of the doubters  The combination of the two resulted in a goal not seen so often at Anfield in the last few years - great run - perfect ball - superb finish.

Suarez's goal made me happy for a few reasons.  The lad had had a poor bag of luck in this game.  Nothing went for him at all but his head never went down.  He never sulked or drifted from the game.  He kept on grafting and finally got his reward.  On a second point it was good to see someone cut in from a wide area (Enrique) and have someone in a central goalscoring position making his mind up.  Can't think of many instances such as that this season.

Atmosphere was suprisingly good for a 5.30 kick off, pisssing down rain against a lower half table also ran team.

You can only beat what is in front of you so happy with what was a good all-round team performance.  Stoke away will of course provide a very different challenge.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 07:34:01 pm »
Might be missing something but why did the BM fans come to Anfield, just a random visit?

They come over every season, have done for many years too, there is now a reciprocal visit the other way too.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline careca

• Kopite
  • "Shanks - Considered wisdom"
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 07:41:01 pm »
Cracking day out and as said above great start fro Christmas holiday.
Keeping the faith

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2012, 12:50:33 am »
Torpedo Tommy: To be fair mate Fulham were shite and though we played well, the point is we played as well as we have in some other games but this time we got the result we should have other times.
Yep.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2012, 07:12:40 am »
What a great write up :)

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2012, 09:14:52 am »
Torpedo Tommy: To be fair mate Fulham were shite and though we played well, the point is we played as well as we have in some other games but this time we got the result we should have other times.

Yep.  Which is what I was sort of getting at (admittedly maybe not very clearly) with my opening paragraph. 

Villa were shite last week in the first 25.  We just failed to take one of the the few chances we had early doors then proceeded to make errors in our own half.

What I don't fully get is the swing attitude in some of our fans which seems to mirror that of the media.  We stuff Fulham and it is because they were shite (which I sort of agree with).  Other teams will beat someone equally poor and it's because of how good they are.  I remember some similar interpretations when we drew with City.  It was because they were shite - not because of our pressing game.

The truth lies somewhat in your quote and somewhere in between the two polar opposite reaction of our fans.  Yes - Fulham weren't great but we, for once, took advantage - which is precisely what Chelsea, City and United seem to do 9 week out of 10.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 09:15:13 am »