Author Topic: Christmas fixtures and Covid  (Read 29038 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Liverpool v Leeds. Boxing Day. Postponed due to COVID.
« Reply #200 on: December 23, 2021, 01:34:11 pm »
Apparently the entire Leeds squad got their boosters this week. Maybe a few are groggy after that as well.
the bbc says that they had five new positives amongst staff and players.

Add to the players already isolating and their horrific injury situation and the fact that public health England have closed their triangular ground, and it’s not surprising  the game is off.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: December 23, 2021, 01:36:47 pm »
This was 3 points in the bag imo

No such thing.

Mixed feelings about it myself, there are lots of negatives to the game being called off, but on balance I'm leaning towards being glad for the players' sake that we won't be playing twice in 48 hours. This might even work out better for us in the long run.

Funny that some are already crying about being stitched up with the rescheduled fixture date, even though we have no idea when that's likely to be yet. As things stand, there are no guarantees about the situation staying the same from one week to the next. Let's just wait and see.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2021, 01:37:16 pm »
Until (yeah right!) the premier league start policing this, there will always be this assumption that teams are not being overly honest and are using a situation to their advantage when they have a lot of injuries and a lot of games to play.

It’s the PL that needs to be front and centre here, until then any suggestions teams are gaming the system will carry on.

The vagueness is unlreal. Like Leeds apparently have ‘5 cases amongst players and staff’, but somewhere else I read ‘7 cases’.  No mention of who those players are - who the staff are - coaches, trainers, cooks?  Who knows.

Unfortunately, as it's medical information they are allowed to keep it private, as with the vaccination status. We would have to use trust in the policing bodies that they have enough players out to cause postponement.

Training grounds could get closed for any reason, not just because of an out break amongst players. They could close them because they have no security staff or no admin staff. It's hard looking in from the outside to understand why they are doing these things.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2021, 01:38:56 pm »
Klopp may be happy with the extended break, but would’ve fancied a 6 point return v Leeds and Leicester given the respective issues both have with injuries.  And obviously it’s another game to squeeze in somewhere.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2021, 01:39:19 pm »
I presume this means Robertson misses Chelsea, through no fault of our own.

What a mess.

Robertson is missing the games he's missing entirely through his own fault.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: December 23, 2021, 01:42:11 pm »
Apparently the entire Leeds squad got their boosters this week. Maybe a few are groggy after that as well.

Odds on quite a few would be down as ill if this happened, they wouldn't even show amongst the COVID casualties so add them on top with quite a few normal injuries in the mix as well and I can see why Leeds have a major problem fielding a team. All gravy to us IMO.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #206 on: December 23, 2021, 01:43:13 pm »
Everton didn’t get theirs postponed

:lmao

Benitez says he has nine senior outfield players, three goalkeepers and then youngsters available for Burnley.
"We have six injuries and five players with Covid," said the Everton manager.
"I think it is not fair."
Benitez says Lucas Digne is available at the moment.

Everyone gets injuries FFS, just get on with it and stop moaning….  (Isn’t that the line?)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: December 23, 2021, 01:45:06 pm »
Everton didn’t get theirs postponed

:lmao

Makes a mockery of the entire competition.

Rafa Will be even more pissed off that Dinge is available.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: December 23, 2021, 01:47:31 pm »
Unfortunately this season is actually more of a mess than the 19/20 one if this continues. City could well get a 9 point lead with us having to go to Chelsea with no Robertson, Mo or Mane.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: December 23, 2021, 01:47:59 pm »
Gutted...love the Boxing Day games...it's always the first game I look for when the fixtures are released....  :(
Same to be honest.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: December 23, 2021, 01:50:05 pm »
Fixed it a bit for you mate.  :D

Unfortunately this season is actually more of a mess than the 19/20 one if this continues. City could well get a 9 point lead with us having to go to Chelsea with no Robertson.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: December 23, 2021, 01:50:36 pm »
I'd be interested to know how the PL are monitoring this and what verification they are requiring before agreeing to a postponement.

Could be an easy get-out if a team choses.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #212 on: December 23, 2021, 01:52:02 pm »

But only Chelsea because of this postponement

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: December 23, 2021, 01:52:33 pm »
Unfortunately it means Abu Dhabi will have a nice 6 point lead before we play again.
Their hugely expensive squad full of international players will likely see them through to another Covid *title.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: December 23, 2021, 01:55:07 pm »
Great - now we can concentrate on absolutely smashing Leicester at their's. Bonus.

We can beat Leeds any day of the week.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: December 23, 2021, 01:57:35 pm »
Great - now we can concentrate on absolutely smashing Leicester at their's. Bonus.

We can beat Leeds any day of the week.

That is true. Just hoping when we play behind closed doors (inevitable soon IMO) it doesn't derail us to the same extent it did last time.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: December 23, 2021, 01:59:32 pm »
That is true. Just hoping when we play behind closed doors (inevitable soon IMO) it doesn't derail us to the same extent it did last time.

I don't think its inevitable and if anything the fixture list means it shouldn't be such a long lasting issue? There are only 3 league games in January and don't we just have 1 home game in the league?

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #217 on: December 23, 2021, 02:01:22 pm »
Oh no! This is disappointing (and inevitable) Means I'm going to have to spend Boxing day with the family playing games, drinking and watching rubbish films

...Damn you Covid!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #218 on: December 23, 2021, 02:02:25 pm »
Unfortunately this season is actually more of a mess than the 19/20 one if this continues. City could well get a 9 point lead with us having to go to Chelsea with no Robertson, Mo or Mane.
Well, City pretty much manipulated a mid season break last season when they were struggling, they came back and went on a big winning run.

Just means we have to smash Leicester again, then be fresh for Chelsea

Can only hope now that Villa give Chelsea a torrid game and the Brighton who turned up at ours appears there.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: December 23, 2021, 02:04:03 pm »
On the minor plus side it was going to be shown on BT sports so that will have disappointed that dickhead Jake Humphrey.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: December 23, 2021, 02:04:47 pm »
Reckon the players might get a rare Christmas day off too. I can only see upside in this. Except for the Afcon lads being gone for the rescheduled one.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: December 23, 2021, 02:07:46 pm »
Whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge.

So many people on here aren't just glass half full, they're glass completely empty.

If you're worried about being able to beat a Leeds team even at full strength then supporting this team isn't for you.

Shut up ye tit.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #222 on: December 23, 2021, 02:08:50 pm »
No one thought it was a tad harsh when we had to play Nat Phillips, Rhys Williams for long spells last season, or play kids against Villa in the league Cup.
Indeed.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: December 23, 2021, 02:14:26 pm »
But only Chelsea because of this postponement

Do you think he was calculating which games he would miss when he made his challenge? Very different situation to Milner's tactical booking the other week. He doesn't get to pick and choose which games he misses, and moaning about it is not a good look. I'm sure we won't hear Robbo himself complaining.

Anyway, we have a very capable deputy in Tsimikas, so it's far from being a disaster.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: December 23, 2021, 02:14:55 pm »

Wait, wait, wait. Waitttttt. You’re not saying you thought that was an actual sane red card offense?  Because I thought it was a yellow and absolute farce that they slowed it down and watched it forward and back 690 times to arrive at the red card. Whereas Kane….

Point being I could greet you warmly, give you a big pat on the back, and if we slow mo’ed it and played it back and forth 690 freaking times it would look like I was assaulting you.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Online Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #225 on: December 23, 2021, 02:16:33 pm »
you are in no position to tell others what to say or how to behave on this forum to be honest.

This is a lot more polite that I would’ve been!
Believer

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: December 23, 2021, 02:22:12 pm »
Wait, wait, wait. Waitttttt. You’re not saying you thought that was an actual sane red card offense?  Because I thought it was a yellow and absolute farce that they slowed it down and watched it forward and back 690 times to arrive at the red card. Whereas Kane….

I don't think it's one we can complain about too strongly, it just felt a bit harsh in light of Kane getting away with his one.

Point being I could greet you warmly, give you a big pat on the back, and if we slow mo’ed it and played it back and forth 690 freaking times it would look like I was assaulting you.

No, the point is that Robbo went in recklessly when he really didn't need to. Whether you agree with the decision or not, the situation was of his own making and avoidable.

Therefore the games he misses as a consequence are entirely on his shoulders. And there's no point moaning about the timing of the fixtures and which games he misses.

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 23, 2021, 02:22:46 pm »
This is good new surly? We’re in this for the long run

Offline Racer

• Shit Aldi Snickers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #228 on: December 23, 2021, 02:33:04 pm »
At least we should be fresh for the Leicester game - it will be fascinating to see the difference in the Leicester teams between our game and their game with City.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #229 on: December 23, 2021, 02:34:38 pm »
Injuries or Covid ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: December 23, 2021, 02:35:31 pm »
Until (yeah right!) the premier league start policing this, there will always be this assumption that teams are not being overly honest and are using a situation to their advantage when they have a lot of injuries and a lot of games to play.

It’s the PL that needs to be front and centre here, until then any suggestions teams are gaming the system will carry on.

The vagueness is unlreal. Like Leeds apparently have ‘5 cases amongst players and staff’, but somewhere else I read ‘7 cases’.  No mention of who those players are - who the staff are - coaches, trainers, cooks?  Who knows.

Agree that the information we receive as fans is flimsy, but you presume the PL is requesting thorough information to call off a game - bearing in mind clubs with strong cases have had their pleas rejected.

It surely isn't a case of a Chief Exec of a club phoning the PL and saying 'sorry lad, we can't play this weekend as we've had six more positive COVID tests. Nah, can't give you names, just trust us'.

The problem, as always, is perception. We can't see the discussions, so we can't trust it. Personally I think clubs should have to name players with COVID, as to me it's no different than someone being out with the flu or a twisted ankle or whatever. I think one of the key issues is vaccinated versus unvaccinated. Read the statement from the PL closely today and it becomes clear:

"The Board concluded that Leeds will not be able to fulfil their fixture this weekend due to the number of players with COVID-19, injuries and illness. The club’s training ground has also been closed after consultation with the UK Health Security Agency and the Premier League. Watford continue to have an insufficient number of players to field a team after their match against Crystal Palace last Saturday was postponed following a COVID-19 outbreak."

Leeds can't field a team because of players who actually have COVID (plus injuries and other illnesses). Watford, on the other hand, 'can't field a team'. Notice the difference? Heavily rumoured Watford have lots of unvaccinated players, so their issue is almost certainly that those players are isolating because they're a close contact, rather than because they actually have COVID. That to me is a disgrace, and IMO Watford should be made to play the game regardless. The idiocy of their players is what's leading to them not playing, rather than players actually testing positive.

Offline cheesemason

• Kopite
« Reply #231 on: December 23, 2021, 02:36:24 pm »

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #232 on: December 23, 2021, 02:37:40 pm »
Leeds have 10 players injured, they’ve taken advantage of a few players getting covid here.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #233 on: December 23, 2021, 02:39:17 pm »
Leeds have 10 players injured, they’ve taken advantage of a few players getting covid here.

Same for all sides who asked for cancellations.

We have the first choice midfield and best CB in world missing against Spurs but had to play.

It’s a farce.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: December 23, 2021, 02:44:53 pm »
Orange juice in the lateral flow tests from Leeds.
No time for caution.

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: December 23, 2021, 02:46:23 pm »
Gutted as was going but imagine the club was quietly not bothered.
No time for caution.

Offline flyingcod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Barry Davies: "It's the old, old story yet again."
Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt - Bill Shankly

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: December 23, 2021, 02:55:17 pm »
Good luck getting a World Cup on next year by the way. Teams are going to need to have 50 man squads to cope.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #238 on: December 23, 2021, 02:56:55 pm »
Is the AFCON tournament going to go ahead?

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/africa-cup-of-nations-2022-fifa-cancelled-postponed-gianni-infantino-1360588

fc

yes it is, there’s a thread about in in the general sports forum with the latest on it from yesterday.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: December 23, 2021, 02:57:14 pm »
Is the AFCON tournament going to go ahead?

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/africa-cup-of-nations-2022-fifa-cancelled-postponed-gianni-infantino-1360588

fc

They can't be sending players away when all this shit is happening. It's farcical at this stage..
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?