Author Topic: CL: Liverpool 4 v Red Star 0 - Firmino 20' Mo 45' 50' (p) Mane 80'  (Read 22977 times)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"

Liverpool vs Red Star Belgrade

24th October 2018, 8pm

Referee:
Daniel Siebert (GER)
Assistant referees: Jan Seidel (GER) and Rafael Foltyn (GER)
Fourth official: Christian Gittelmann (GER)
Additional assistant referees: Tobias Welz (GER) and Patrick Ittrich (GER)

Match odds:
Liverpool 1/20, Draw 14/1, Red Star 45/1

Welcome to the preview of Liverpool's home tie with Red Star Belgrade (aka Crvena Zvezda).

Crvenza Zvezda or Red Star Belgrade as they are better known as, are expected to be easy pickings in the group but I personally don’t see it that way, not much is known about them but that makes them more dangerous.

I would expect a tougher game in Belgrade than Anfield for obvious reasons but there is still work to be done.

Recently on RAWK we have come to discuss the upcoming game with Red Star fan Senjak boys and he has provided some helpful and valuable insights, more of this later.

History Lesson:

Red Star might not be known to younger fans but the club has some impressive history. They played a part in two very historic moments in English football, one of which was a tragedy given it was Red Star who were opponents to Manchester United in 1958 when the Busby Babes team was sadly torn apart as United’s plane crashed on the way home. It had been an intriguing tie prior to this, Red Star lost narrowly at Old Trafford in the first leg and in the second leg they looked done for when they were 3-0 down at half time, but they never gave in and the game on the night finished 3-3 though it meant Red Star went out in the quarter final stage 5-4 on aggregate.

The previous year Red Star had made it to the semi final but lost to Fiorentina. As I said they had history with English clubs in Europe as in Bill Shankly’s final season in charge, Red Star ended what turned out to be Shankly’s last chance at winning the European cup. Red Star won both legs by 2 goals to 1. It was the first time Liverpool had ever lost at home in the European cup, something that wouldn’t happen again until 2001.

Incidentally, an article on that game was posted on the Liverpool echo site this morning and can be read here.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-red-star-belgrade-helped-15310189

In 1979 Red Star made it to the Uefa Cup final, having beaten West Brom en route but they ultimately lost a replay to Borussia Monchengladbach. In the late 1980s Yugoslav football was beginning to take shape, in 1987 Red Star apparently gave themselves a 5 year plan with the ultimate goal of winning the European cup. That same year Red Star recorded a fine win over Real Madrid in the famous Marakana stadium but ultimately went out on away goals. Whilst Red star were winning domestic league after league, they were desperate to carve out European success.

In the 1988-89 season Red star appeared to be on the verge of eliminating the mighty Ac Milan of the Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard era, winning 1-0 on the night in Belgrade and 2-1 on aggregate, the match was abandoned with 25 minutes left due to fog. It was rearranged to restart the next day but Red Star went out on penalties to the eventual winners, what may have been?

Red Star's greatest night and subsequent break up

In the 1990-91 season it finally happened, wins over the likes of Rangers, Dynamo Dresden and Bayern Munich lead Red Star to the European cup final where they beat Marseilles on penalties after a 0-0 draw. It was a poor game but the Red Star team contained some world class talent, around this time Red Star had players in this era such as Sinisa Mihajlovic, Robert Prosinecki, Darko Pancev, Vladimir Jugovic, Dejan Savicevic and Dragan Stojkovic (who actually played for Marseilles in the 1991 final).

The following season Red Star were among the favorites but political tension in Yugoslavia was to spell the end of the glorious era, the country was at war with UEFA even barring them from playing matches at home. The team staged home games in Sofia and Budapest but a crucial defeat in a semi final group stage saw Red Star lose their grip on the European cup, a defeat to Sampdoria ended their reign. From then on the country was at war and Yugoslavian football suffered, independence was declared splitting the country up.

It should have been a glorious era for Yugoslavia, they were bigger issues given people died in a war, but football wise Yugoslavia were for me one of the best teams in world football. They narrowly went out at the quarter final stage of the 1990 world cup and the war and UN sanctions meant UEFA barred them from competing in Euro 1992 , they had qualified ahead of Denmark who took their place and won, for me they could have won euro 1992.

I have always felt the team would have won a world cup, their players proved all over Europe just how good they were, since the early 90s the split lead to several new teams in Europe. Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Macedonia, Slovenia and Montenegro (the latter was initially Serbia and Montenegro up to their split) and more recently Kosovo. Yugoslavia did continue as a team briefly, they made the last 16 of the 1998 world cup and competed at Euro 2000. Croatia made a huge impression, quarter finalists at euro 1996 and semi-finalists at the 1998 world cup it showed to me that in a different world had they all stayed together they might have won a world cup, I have always been convinced they would.

Back to Red Star, more recently the club compete in the Serbian super league, they have won this three times since 2014, financial irregularities have meant that up until now Red Star have not competed in the Champions league, and with that I am brought back to the excellent insight provided by Senjak boys. Like Liverpool, Red star fans get behind their team to create some brilliant atmosphere at their Marakana Stadium (officially the Rajko Mitic stadium and previously the Red Star Stadium) which once held 100,000 and now has a seating capacity similar to Anfield.

Senjak

Senjaks quotes :
“Given our history and our fans you can expect a charged up team at home that given our limitations will play on the counter. We're really good at countering (not at the level your front and midfield six are obviously) but we've brought in some solid players over the last 3 days and I expect us to be up for it. Our coach (Vladan Milojević), who came two seasons ago, has transformed and modernized the way we play. It is due to him that we have been revived and his coaching staff is notorious for picking apart the opposition tactically. That is how we've beaten sides that financially and on paper should have beaten us comfortably over the course of the last two seasons including Sparta Prague, Krasnodar and Red Bull Salzburg, the team that made the Europa League semi last season. This Salzburg side should be noted did knock out Real Sociedad, SS Lazio and Borussia Dortmund last season.”

Tactically:
“The coach has instilled a very defensive, counter attacking mentality in European games over the past two seasons, and in most of our games (outside of Salzburg away) we haven't really conceded much. We typically play a 4-2-3-1 with creative wingers and an excellent target man with an attacking midfielder in behind that has room to operate on either flank. In central midfield we have a box to box midfielder and one defensive midfielder who tracks and picks apart many opposition attacks. Our right central back and right full back are huge Red Star fans and as such will give it their all.
To think of Belgrade, maybe the first thing that comes to mind is war and that it is not a good place to go, Senjak has been at pains to point out this is not the case.

Whilst reading his post I am touched he rummaged through RAWK enough to find one of my old posts from 2011 detailing the Red star team of the early 1990s, here is a link to the said post:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=273063.0

Form guide

Red Star opened their account with a 0-0 draw at home to Napoli, although the away side did hit the woodwork twice.

The team on the night was

Borjan

Stojkovic, Savic, Degenek, Rodic

Jovicic, Krsticic

Marin, Causic, El Fardou Ben Nabou,

Boakye

Manager: Vladen Milojevic

The only change made for the game at PSG was the inclusion of Veljko Simic in place of Boakye upfront. PSG’s much feared forward line of Neymar, Cavani and Mbappe gave Red Star nightmares, all three scored in a crushing 6-1 win, the game has since been investigated for match fixing amid allegations a Red Star official place a bet of some €5 million euros for his team to lose by 5 goals, bizarre stuff altogether.

Domestically things are going well, Red Star have dropped just two points from 12 games and already are 7 points clear averaging just under three goals a game. Richmond Boakye is the teams top scorer with 5 showing a good spread of goals among the team.

For Liverpool its been a mixed bag in Europe so far this season, a tremendous win over PSG didn’t flatter us but this was followed by a god awful defeat in Napoli, whilst it was only 1-0 and Napoli only won it in the last minute it wasn’t unfair, this season there have been few signs of the blistering attacking brilliance we saw last season but hopefully we will see some of it on Wednesday.

Sadio Mane is an injury doubt with a broken thumb, whilst captain Jordan Henderson will be checked on having lasted only 45 minutes against Huddersfield. Gini Wijnaldum and Fabinho will be hoping for some game time if the captain doesn’t make it, there was a boost for Liverpool with the quicker than expected return of James Milner in Saturdays win which kept Liverpool level on points with Man City, Adam Lallana also managed to start. Naby Keita’s frustrating season will mean he is likely to miss out, Keita (one of approximately 22 players injured for us on international duty) is likely to be out for another couple of weeks with a hamstring problem.

Once more thanks to Senjak for his contributions.  :wave

CMON YOU REDS

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:31:53 pm by Rush 82 »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL: Liverpool 4 v Red Star 0 - Firmino 20' Mo 45' 50' (p) Mane 80'
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 07:39:10 pm »
Liverpool Team.

Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri, Mane, Salah, Firmino

Subs: Mignolet, Lovren, Moreno, Milner, Lallana, Sturridge, Origi

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 07:58:24 pm »
Good evening from Anfield. Well, I'm not there but plenty others are. The teams are listening to the Liverpool crowd drown out the CL anthem. The away supporters are really quiet though. It could be because none are there.

The captain tonight is our Virgil.
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 08:01:15 pm »
The game is underway. Red Star kick off. Liverpool are attackimg the Annie Road End.
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 08:02:28 pm »
1 Bobby brought down from behind. Liverpool restart quickly.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 08:02:48 pm »
Red Star packing midfield.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 08:03:26 pm »
2 Long ball for Salah to chase and it runs out for a goal kick.
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 08:04:11 pm »
2 Red Star with a ball in behind our back 4 but its's offside,
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 08:04:47 pm »
Yikes! The Red Star coach is a scary looking fella

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 08:05:48 pm »
4 Red Star press high and we have trouble getting it up. Misplaced pass leads to FK for the guests. Headed away.
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 08:06:43 pm »
5 Red Star quite positive here so far and we are sloppy in possession and it puts us under some pressure,
Love Ren & Stimpy

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 08:06:55 pm »
Red Star have made a good start to be fair, we are finding it difficult passing out from the back.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 08:07:03 pm »
Red Star not giving an inch - effective disruption of our pattern of play

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 08:07:35 pm »
6 Salah offside.
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 08:09:26 pm »
8 Liverpool looked stunned and surprised at the way Red Star approach the game.
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 08:11:27 pm »
9 Chance Liverpool. Gomez steps up brilliantly to cut out the long ball, he gets it to Salah who lays off for Bobby but his shot hits Trent
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 08:12:12 pm »
10 Chance Salah. A lofted ball in behind leaves Salah 1 v 1 with the keeper but he fluffs the shot.

Their keeper is down, but eventually gets back up.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 08:12:27 pm »
Unlucky there the Reds, much better play.  The way Salah brought the ball down there was beautiful.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 08:15:29 pm »
14 Red Star players are very aggressive and Liverpool are too slow in possession inviting pressure.
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 08:16:03 pm »
Over to Rush82
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 08:17:38 pm »
16' - Red Star with a throw in that leads to a corner.

Red Star player gets clear into space but kicks it miles over from right in front - not great defending there by us

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 08:19:29 pm »
Replay shows everyone ball watching. Save it for the showers lads.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2018, 08:20:09 pm »
18' - we move the ball down the left but Red Star close down and we retrace our steps - this time we go right and then through the middle and back to the right. Fabinho with a lovely touch and it gets in under Salah's feet but we can't make it count.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2018, 08:20:48 pm »
19' - Fabinho getting getting into the game

GGOOOOLALALALALLALLAL

Bobby

20'

Excellent work from the Shaq again - driving behind Red Star and getting the ball into the danger area

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 08:22:29 pm »
19' - Fabinhow fwoing into the

GGOOOOLALALALALLALLAL

Bobby

20'

He sure was fwoing.

What a goal that was. The vision and pass from Shaqiri to Robbo was outlandish.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2018, 08:23:27 pm »
21' - Liverpool look to have upped the tempo slightly - looking dangerous on the attack.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2018, 08:24:32 pm »
23' - Red Star cross into the box from the left imperiously dealt with by VVD

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2018, 08:26:07 pm »
24' - oooh, Alisson with fantastic distribution out of the hand sends us flying up the left - Robertson gets the ball across to Mane who is just off his stride and is unable to convert.

That was superb play - just lacking the goal

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2018, 08:27:08 pm »
Playing some lovely stuff.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2018, 08:27:28 pm »
25' - and again - superb interplay between the front 3 and Robertson - ball moved at speed between the 3 and Robertson's cross is just too high for Salah to get on the end of.

Good stuff this

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2018, 08:27:49 pm »
Playing some lovely stuff now..

Liquid football
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2018, 08:29:21 pm »
27' - Red Star with a good move down the left flank - good interplay runs into the Red Wall and it ends with us having a free kick in our half (Salah dragged down)

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2018, 08:30:44 pm »
29' - Red Star still pushing forward to their credit - the Reds hold firm.

Handover to Jill as we hit 30'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2018, 08:31:39 pm »
4 Red Star press high and we have trouble getting it up. Misplaced pass leads to FK for the guests. Headed away.

Did we sign Pele?

Resident comedian ladies and gents.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2018, 08:33:05 pm »
32' Great chance there for Salah, but a very late flag for offside. In other news, Napoli 1 up in Paris.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2018, 08:34:32 pm »
Breaking the Red Star lines at will now - all we need is the finishing

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2018, 08:35:35 pm »
34 Another nice attack involving multiple players there ends with Robertson over hitting the cross, but plenty of nice play again.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2018, 08:37:28 pm »
35' Nice piece of distribution there from Alisson, who manages to bypass almost the entire midfield with that kick. It also had some nice work from Fab, but we couldn't quite control it.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2018, 08:38:14 pm »
Fabinho has been superb - absolutely superb

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2018, 08:38:47 pm »
37 There was a brief chance for Red Star, but luckily it wasn't a good shot. We went down the other end some nice movement in midfield ended with Shaquiri firing straight at the keeper.