Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1880259 times)

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #10040 on: April 13, 2021, 10:09:21 am »
I reckon there's a real possibility of him leaving this summer. If we're honest we all expected him to be one of the best midfielders in the league when he joined and i truly believe without injuries he would have been. His body isn't made for premier league football. Maybe time to let go of him and chamberlain and use the money to get a goal scoring midfielder in.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10041 on: April 13, 2021, 12:24:06 pm »
Do people believe the PL is that much more physical than Bundesliga?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10042 on: April 13, 2021, 12:40:09 pm »

I think certain challenges are more acceptable in England than in Germany, but the biggest difference is the pace of the game

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10043 on: April 13, 2021, 01:03:46 pm »
Werner & Havertz both have said the PL is a much tougher league to play in.
Both said they were surprised at the step up physically.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10044 on: April 13, 2021, 01:11:49 pm »
I think certain challenges are more acceptable in England than in Germany, but the biggest difference is the pace of the game

I remember POP saying it wasn't necessarily the speed of the play, more that over here there's more transitions with the ball getting turned over constantly and some players struggle to adapt to that.  Don't think it's the case with Naby, though.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #10045 on: April 13, 2021, 01:13:42 pm »
Quite an expensive flop really isn't he? Can't get it right all of the time though can we?

See what we can get for him in the summer, he's never going to be a success at us.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10046 on: April 13, 2021, 01:55:12 pm »
Injuries notwithstanding, it's unfair to blame him solely for the Real Madrid debacle. I know he was hooked earlier on, which probably fuels that narrative

Yes he hasn't performed as well as we would have liked, but if the lengthy timeout was intended for him to get 100%, then we need to give him another season to show us what he's capable of
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:57:24 pm by Machae »

Offline MdArshad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10047 on: April 13, 2021, 02:03:25 pm »
Injuries notwithstanding, it's unfair to blame him solely for the Real Madrid debacle. I know he was hooked earlier on, which probably fuels that narrative

Yes he hasn't performed as well as we would have liked, but if the lengthy timeout was intended for him to get 100%, then we need to give him another season to show us what he's capable of

Yes people here need to remember that he is one of the few midfielder that we have that can beat a man and link up attack. When he is good, we are unstoppable. Hopefully his injury worries are over. If we are still square after 60 mins against Real, I sincerely hope he is brought on to run at their midfield, they did not look to cope with his running in the first leg.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #10048 on: April 13, 2021, 02:09:36 pm »

He's had three years - i'm basing my opinion on that not the match last week

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10049 on: April 13, 2021, 02:14:38 pm »
He's had three years - i'm basing my opinion on that not the match last week

Blighted by injuries, if we have 'dealt' with the underlying issue, then it stands to reason he can perform to his potential. Selling him now (if anyone is buying him with his history and wages), would be a mistake. Obviously, in my opinion

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #10050 on: April 13, 2021, 02:26:41 pm »
No doubt he's had a tough time and he's shown glimpses of what he can do. He's had enough opportunities though hasn't he?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #10051 on: April 13, 2021, 02:29:14 pm »
No doubt he's had a tough time and he's shown glimpses of what he can do. He's had enough opportunities though hasn't he?

That's up to the manager.

He's only just turned 26 and has another two years on his contract, so I guess he's probably got about a year to either show he's worth a new contract or we just cut our losses.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10052 on: April 13, 2021, 02:32:48 pm »
Yes people here need to remember that he is one of the few midfielder that we have that can beat a man and link up attack. When he is good, we are unstoppable.

You got any examples of matches where he's been good and made us an unstoppable team?  Because I can't remember any games that he's played a huge part in us winning.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #10053 on: April 13, 2021, 02:33:05 pm »
That's up to the manager.

He's only just turned 26 and has another two years on his contract, so I guess he's probably got about a year to either show he's worth a new contract or we just cut our losses.
I'd rather see Curtis Jones given the opportunities Keita has been or would be given....... and that is saying something isn't it!

Keita, for me, isn't going to be anything else other than what he has already been.... a let down - a VERY expensive one
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 02:34:38 pm by G a r y »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10054 on: April 13, 2021, 02:39:01 pm »
I'd rather see Curtis Jones given the opportunities Keita has been or would be given....... and that is saying something isn't it!

Keita, for me, isn't going to be anything else other than what he has already been.... a let down - a VERY expensive one

You understand we can give them both games though....right?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10055 on: April 13, 2021, 02:39:19 pm »
Jurgen rates Naby very highly and rightly so as he is a fabulous player when fit and on form. I doubt there is a reasonably priced player out there as good as Naby can be, so it makes sense to keep him if Jurgen thinks he can mainatin his fitness. I reckon he will be here next season which will either be his last or the start of a decent Liverpool career. I hope it's the latter as he is great to watch - when we are able to watch him!

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #10056 on: April 13, 2021, 02:53:44 pm »
Unless someone is offering us £40m+, Naby is here for the long term. Jurgen had enough faith to start him last week which means he is still highly rated.

The fast he failed last week shouldn't be held against him, I think Jurgen will know he probably got things wrong in many ways including the midfield trio.

I think the key is to get Naby match fitness and a run of games before throwing him into high pressure ones. Obviously a tough ask given his injury issues but it's the only reasonable target.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10057 on: April 13, 2021, 03:03:35 pm »
They were all shite last week. I don’t see the need to single Keita out really.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #10058 on: April 13, 2021, 03:14:22 pm »
You understand we can give them both games though....right?
Of course. Look, Keita has surely played close to 100 games for us? He's been afforded more opportunities than a lot that has come before him.

Time to stop pretending he's boss. He isn't. I won't be surprised to see him sold in the summer

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #10059 on: April 13, 2021, 03:31:14 pm »
They were all shite last week. I don’t see the need to single Keita out really.

It's a very lazy and easy thing to blame it all on Keita with the early sub, and the majority in this thread have lapped it up, despite us not really playing much better with Thiago on.

Keita has been training well, and Klopp said he couldn't ignore him any longer. The idea was good, we did see him run at Real a couple of times and cause them problems, but overall it didn't work out and their midfield caused us more problems than ours did theirs.

The constant shouts to sell Keita are a bit boring. Gets it when he's injured, gets it when he's not. Some players fans just never warm to I guess. I remember Rafa saying something to the effect of "if you don't like Lucas Leiva, you don't understand football" and I see a lot of similarities when I hear people saying they've never seen Keita do anything good. Talk about his injuries for sure, but the talent is clear to see.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10060 on: April 13, 2021, 03:33:54 pm »
It's a very lazy and easy thing to blame it all on Keita with the early sub, and the majority in this thread have lapped it up, despite us not really playing much better with Thiago on.

Keita has been training well, and Klopp said he couldn't ignore him any longer. The idea was good, we did see him run at Real a couple of times and cause them problems, but overall it didn't work out and their midfield caused us more problems than ours did theirs.

The constant shouts to sell Keita are a bit boring. Gets it when he's injured, gets it when he's not. Some players fans just never warm to I guess. I remember Rafa saying something to the effect of "if you don't like Lucas Leiva, you don't understand football" and I see a lot of similarities when I hear people saying they've never seen Keita do anything good. Talk about his injuries for sure, but the talent is clear to see.

People thought he was going to be amazing, me included.

I dont know if its an embarrassment thing, and they all told their mates thinking they'd look smart. Or if its just lashing out in disappointment. But its a really odd reaction to a Liverpool player because he's been injured a fair bit so not fulfilled his potential.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #10061 on: April 13, 2021, 05:28:23 pm »
Seems like the Mel Reddy article stirred up the hornets nest again. Think this horse has been beat to death but one thing I think does need to be explored more by the club is why our "squad" players have all just cratered this year.  Yes the structure of the side has been a wreck due to the CB injuries but should that then mean that everyone but the ideal starting XI has just complete shit years to boot?  I'd say only Jones has taken any type of step forward with the rest being mediocre to awful.  In the match thread someone mentioned Origi and honestly if he was in any type of form you'd want a big body in there with Nacho tossing him around.  But it would be laughable if he started let alone saw the field.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #10062 on: April 13, 2021, 07:48:50 pm »

I trust the manager. If he thinks Keita should get that game time, than he should. It's not like opportunities has been sparse for Jones this season.

I don't get the obsession with selling Keita in the summer. He's not going to fetch us lots of money, so what's the point really? When he's available, he's more often than not doing a good job, so have him as a backup or rotation option at best. Just don't build the midfield around him but we have 3 other midfielders who are excellent first team choices.

If anything, a loan would make more sense.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #10063 on: April 13, 2021, 08:28:26 pm »
Apparently he's got two years left on his contract?

If so, a loan makes zero sense. What's the point in keeping hold of him if we agree he's not really up to it? It's like the conversation around Wilson and Gruijic that's gone on for years. If they aren't good enough then why bother?

Offline AmSeeker

• ABbitOfAnAttention
  • Main Stander
« Reply #10064 on: April 13, 2021, 08:45:08 pm »
He just can't keep fit to get a sustained run of games to show his talents.

Doubt anyone will touch him with the wages he will be on, transfer fee wise.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #10065 on: April 13, 2021, 10:00:39 pm »
Apparently he's got two years left on his contract?

If so, a loan makes zero sense. What's the point in keeping hold of him if we agree he's not really up to it? It's like the conversation around Wilson and Gruijic that's gone on for years. If they aren't good enough then why bother?

No one agrees he’s  ‘not up to it’
No idea why you’re posting so much about a player you think is “shite”

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10066 on: April 13, 2021, 10:51:17 pm »
People thought he was going to be amazing, me included.

I dont know if its an embarrassment thing, and they all told their mates thinking they'd look smart. Or if its just lashing out in disappointment. But its a really odd reaction to a Liverpool player because he's been injured a fair bit so not fulfilled his potential.

I think a lot of it has to do with the hype he had around him when he signed and the fee we signed him for. Third most expensive player in club history and he's had a largely forgettable three seasons here (to be kind), from an individual contributor's standpoint. A lot that has to certainly do with injuries but the transformation to our midfield that he was supposed to bring just hasn't really been there.

The glimpses of his talent have been tantalizing which also adds to fans' frustration. Sucky situation all around.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10067 on: April 13, 2021, 11:03:25 pm »
Werner & Havertz both have said the PL is a much tougher league to play in.
Both said they were surprised at the step up physically.
They were both shite when they came to the league, so of course they're going to go with a narrative that gives them an excuse for that shiteness.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10068 on: April 13, 2021, 11:04:18 pm »
he is a talented player no doubt. we saw glimpses of that. i just have doubts over his mentality and stepping up to the pressure of playing for us. may be one of these players that has to be a big fish in a small pond. seems a bit soft which is strange because i thought he was a tough player at Leipzig.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #10069 on: April 13, 2021, 11:08:33 pm »
he is a talented player no doubt. we saw glimpses of that. i just have doubts over his mentality and stepping up to the pressure of playing for us. may be one of these players that has to be a big fish in a small pond. seems a bit soft which is strange because i thought he was a tough player at Leipzig.

In terms of 'mentality' let's not even discuss the amount of time it took the lad to learn English either. That hasn't helped him one little bit

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #10070 on: April 13, 2021, 11:32:50 pm »
In terms of 'mentality' let's not even discuss the amount of time it took the lad to learn English either. That hasn't helped him one little bit

At least for me you're just a bastion of bad takes.

Offline Gaz75

• Kopite
« Reply #10071 on: April 14, 2021, 12:46:30 am »
Do you think if he learns English soon he will play better?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #10072 on: April 14, 2021, 01:01:06 am »
Do you think if he learns English soon he will play better?
Obviously, but not directly. Stuff like - where does it hurt, can you make it to the touchline, are you allergic to paracetamol - will all make that transition smoother and support his long term game.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Gaz75

• Kopite
« Reply #10073 on: April 14, 2021, 01:09:37 am »
Obviously, but not directly. Stuff like - where does it hurt, can you make it to the touchline, are you allergic to paracetamol - will all make that transition smoother and support his long term game.
If he just even learns to scream when he is tackled could do the job at the moment.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10074 on: April 14, 2021, 08:03:32 am »
In terms of 'mentality' let's not even discuss the amount of time it took the lad to learn English either.That hasn't helped him one little bit

This is getting pretty sinister now.....

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #10075 on: April 14, 2021, 08:47:25 am »
Oh please, there is nothing sinister about it. Klopp and Mane referenced it as an issue just last season.

No I don't believe him speaking English would enable him to play football better. However, as most of you are fully aware these lads are spending pretty much every day with each other. If you can't see how his inability to communicate with his team mates and staff on and (mainly) off the pitch could be an issue in him integrating then you can't be helped.

He knew he was coming to England in 2017, it was still an issue last season.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #10076 on: April 14, 2021, 09:01:33 am »
The pricks talking about not learning English quick enough probably haven’t even holidayed further than Bretagne for more than two days.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #10077 on: April 14, 2021, 09:22:55 am »
Nothing personal against the player, he seems like he might be a nice lad, possibly a bit shy but that's obviously okay, I think Ian Rush was pretty shy himself.

All we get to see is appearance and injury stats and what we see on the field.

There is no doubt he was bought for around £50 million as one of the most rated midfielders of the day. For me, it doesn't look like it will work out for him here. And let's be very very honest, Edwards and Klopp have a scarily high percentage of players who HAVE worked out, law of averages says it doesn't happen every time.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #10078 on: April 14, 2021, 09:23:28 am »
The pricks talking about not learning English quick enough probably haven’t even holidayed further than Bretagne for more than two days.

Bloody Jurgen Klopp the prick and his opinion on the importance of language: https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/10/naby-keita-much-better-after-big-step-with-language/

Mane: “He just needs to improve his English to be understood more by everyone, but to be able to count on a true friend in the group, that’s priceless. It’s even calming at times.”

It's about fitting in and feeling at home. If you can't see how that may affect a young lad in a foreign country in his everyday life....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 09:27:25 am by G a r y »

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #10079 on: April 14, 2021, 09:36:08 am »
Well I’ve lived it, I understand how not BEING able to learn the language of your environment quick enough is a horrific situation. It’s debilitating in both professional and social situations.

My point is, some people land in Paris and are speaking French by the afternoon, others have a torrid time. It’s not a stick to beat someone with.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him