539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1447016 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit thread - Rocky Horror Brexit Shitshow Hallowe'en Special!
« Reply #23240 on: June 12, 2019, 07:17:46 pm »
That labour list is fucking shocking. A lot of those northern Labour MP’s need a good slap. What the fuck are they playing at?

Just looking to keep their easy, cushy jobs.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23241 on: June 12, 2019, 07:30:42 pm »
That's the Tory majority gone if they push for 'no deal' then if 10 are willing to stand out right now. Labour leavers really need to get their shit sorted though. Like Onn and Smeeth a lot but there's a point where saying 'I want a perfect Brexit' isn't a good enough answer. Seeing Angela Smith the Change UK MP getting a load of grief for not voting - she's on sick leave. Wish the sites had a bit of nuance to them. Wish all the 'how did they vote' sites did for all sorts of reasons.

Yes, that's a good point.

FYI - Clive Efford, Julie Elliott, Paul Farrelly, Ian C Lucas and Jo Stevens are on a DCMS committee trip.

Clive Efford, Julie Elliott, Paul Farrelly, Hugh Gaffney, Imran Hussain, Barbara Keely, Ian C Lucas, Gordon Marsden, Jo Stevens, Derek Twigg have not rebelled in this way on Brexit before. Five were on a DCMS trip. Likely only Onn, Smeeth and Snell intentionally abstained.

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1138856995820331008

Just because they haven't rebelled in that way before doesn't mean this wasn't the first time though. With regards to the DCMS lot, some of the replies to the Tweet mention/ask about "pairing" but could they not have simply fucked off that trip for the vote today which is surely more important?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:32:43 pm by ShakaHislop »

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23242 on: June 12, 2019, 07:36:48 pm »
That labour list is fucking shocking. A lot of those northern Labour MP’s need a good slap. What the fuck are they playing at?

You also have ex-Labour MPs like Ian Austin and Ivan Lewis, who didn't leave the party for Brexit reasons, voting against.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23243 on: June 12, 2019, 07:49:53 pm »
Just because they haven't rebelled in that way before doesn't mean this wasn't the first time though. With regards to the DCMS lot, some of the replies to the Tweet mention/ask about "pairing" but could they not have simply fucked off that trip for the vote today which is surely more important?

Looks like they were paired from overall numbers. All seems to be very performative today in any case. Hope they've all had a think about who would have a chance of commanding the confidence of Parliament (spoiler: it isn't Corbyn).
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #23244 on: June 12, 2019, 07:52:37 pm »
8 Labour MPs voted against Labour's motion; 13 didn't vote either way.

https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com/Divisions/Details/689?byMember=false

they should be ashamed of themselves, haven't they worked out that if we do crash out with No Deal that it's Constituencies like theirs that will be hardest hit. Voting with the Tories, have they no shame. They are now compliant in this mess.Twats
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23245 on: June 12, 2019, 07:54:28 pm »
Looks like they were paired from overall numbers. All seems to be very performative today in any case. Hope they've all had a think about who would have a chance of commanding the confidence of Parliament (spoiler: it isn't Corbyn).
Is there a mechanism/scenario where an MP (from any party) might become PM without being elected leader of their party?
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #23246 on: June 12, 2019, 07:55:45 pm »
You also have ex-Labour MPs like Ian Austin and Ivan Lewis, who didn't leave the party for Brexit reasons, voting against.
Ian Austin has a majority of about 100 in the West Midlands so I can see maybe why he has gone down that route, little excuse for some though where their votes are weighed rather than counted

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #23247 on: June 12, 2019, 07:56:46 pm »
Is there a mechanism/scenario where an MP (from any party) might become PM without being elected leader of their party?
how exactly would that happen?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23248 on: June 12, 2019, 07:56:51 pm »

Yeah. Churchill wasn't leader of the conservatives when he became PM. Sure there's other examples. With the Fixed Terms Act, it would be within the fortnight after the government has lost a confidence vote. Queen would call someone to the palace to ask them to form a government. She'd be taking advice from senior civil servants and MPs on who would have a chance of assembling a majority.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23249 on: June 12, 2019, 08:07:24 pm »
Yeah. Churchill wasn't leader of the conservatives when he became PM. Sure there's other examples. With the Fixed Terms Act, it would be within the fortnight after the government has lost a confidence vote. Queen would call someone to the palace to ask them to form a government. She'd be taking advice from senior civil servants and MPs on who would have a chance of assembling a majority.
So, this begs the question (and I thought you last post hinted at this), is there an MP who could possibly fulfill this role? Is there a chance that enough MPs from across the house will understand the gravity of the situation and consider it a national emergency (even if Labour and Tory parties as a whole do not get it)?
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23250 on: June 12, 2019, 08:08:13 pm »
Am I right in thinking you don't have to be an MP to be PM?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23251 on: June 12, 2019, 08:10:55 pm »
Am I right in thinking you don't have to be an MP to be PM?
Yes, but it is complicated. I believe someone else would have act on the PMs behalf in The Commons, and probably some other stuff like that. I think it was Zeb who posted about this a few weeks ago.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23252 on: June 12, 2019, 08:23:29 pm »
Yes, but it is complicated. I believe someone else would have act on the PMs behalf in The Commons, and probably some other stuff like that. I think it was Zeb who posted about this a few weeks ago.

I can't remember posting about it but I forgot the name of the street I live on this afternoon and baffled the poor cab driver very thoroughly. But, it's convention that the PM sits in the Commons now so expectation would be that even if they were in the Lords they'd be shuffled into a seat. Lords was a bit stronger relative to the Commons when it happened with Salisbury etc. a hundred odd years back.

re. MPs. Don't know. There's a question of priorities for the Leader of the Opposition there, isn't there? As well as for MPs. But if October looks a long way away now, it's going to seem a lot closer once they're back from their summer hols and then head straight into conference season etc.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23253 on: June 12, 2019, 08:30:23 pm »

They definitely need a good slapping, smug twats.

Cant they be booted out, some of those have defied their party on every vote put forward

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #23254 on: June 12, 2019, 09:40:30 pm »
Quote from: Tepid T₂O link=topic=340923.msg16678843#msg16678843

We will see real hardship, real unemployment, real shortages.  And for what?

Freedom for the UK's financial services sector to continue its 'light-touch' regulation and the BOTs/CDs to continue their veil of secrecy without EU oversight.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23255 on: June 12, 2019, 09:46:58 pm »
That shameless gobshite Graham Stringer amongst the 8 again.

Just after I resigned, but before I got deleted from all the e-mail chains, there was another attempt to make some mild criticism of him consistently voting against the whip on EU issues from some of the newer members in my ward. Motion ended up going to the CLP as an ode of praise to the leadership's position on Brexit instead. If Hoey is used as the reason for the deselection attempts to begin then Stringer is still going to be at the back of the queue. Too close to lèse-majesté otherwise.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #23256 on: June 12, 2019, 10:21:11 pm »
Out of the 13 abstainers tonight. 11 were pairs with Tory abstainers so were allowed. 2 abstained deliberately they were Gareth Snell and Ruth Smeeth
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23257 on: June 12, 2019, 10:23:47 pm »
Can Smeeth be deselcted?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23258 on: June 12, 2019, 10:35:37 pm »
Just after I resigned, but before I got deleted from all the e-mail chains,
I've missed your interesting background mate. Where from?
PM if it's better for you, but I'm extremely interested in your story.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23259 on: June 12, 2019, 10:37:34 pm »
Research from @GMB_Union shows that leaving under WTO rules could increase the cost of an average shopping basket by over £800 a year! Tory leadership candidates should rule out a no deal Brexit to stop the increased costs being passed on to UK shoppers.

2:06 am - 10 Jun 2019

https://twitter.com/RuthSmeeth/status/1138009473564446720

:butt

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23260 on: June 12, 2019, 10:39:21 pm »
Can Smeeth be deselcted?

Depends on her CLP, I don't know it, but yeah and it'll get easier to do when the NEC set out when the new rules making it easier to kick in. Was expected to happen in March to allow for September/October deselections but a decision has been delayed as it seems like they've figured out that the MPs most likely to get deselected are likely decide to go independent or shift parties if it happens to them.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #23261 on: June 12, 2019, 10:39:44 pm »
Personally I think the likes of Smeeth and Snell are trying to pander to voters who are largely lost to Labour anyway.

Voters who want a No Deal and have Brexit as a high priority in terms of issues they are voting over aren't going to be voting for Labour whatever Labour say. As pissed off as I am with Labour's position, or lack thereof, on Brexit, Labour is never going to be able to offer the kind of Brexit rhetoric to placate that ovting group that a twat like BoJo the clown is.

Labour's chances of electoral success, basically now depend on Remainers being willing to hold their nose and vote for them, maybe that can make that work again as it almost did in 2017, but I'm not convinced, the LibDems seem to be in the process of being detoxified and that will probably do for Labour in the end

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23262 on: June 12, 2019, 10:47:06 pm »
I've missed your interesting background mate. Where from?
PM if it's better for you, but I'm extremely interested in your story.

Half the family's from Liverpool originally. Moved to North Wales for work in the 70s - back when Norweb and Manweb were things. Other half miners and steelworkers from North Wales. Other brothers got practical talents, I ended up happier with a book and a pen. Ended up in Manchester myself a fair few years back, initially to do postgrad stuff and then a PGCE, first in family to uni and all that, now up in Cheetham Hill, Manchester.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:48:42 pm by Zeb »

Offline Team Sleep

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A walking surplus.
« Reply #23263 on: June 12, 2019, 10:47:20 pm »
Personally I think the likes of Smeeth and Snell are trying to pander to voters who are largely lost to Labour anyway.

Voters who want a No Deal and have Brexit as a high priority in terms of issues they are voting over aren't going to be voting for Labour whatever Labour say. As pissed off as I am with Labour's position, or lack thereof, on Brexit, Labour is never going to be able to offer the kind of Brexit rhetoric to placate that ovting group that a twat like BoJo the clown is.

Exactly.

Labour's chances of electoral success, basically now depend on Remainers being willing to hold their nose and vote for them, maybe that can make that work again as it almost did in 2017, but I'm not convinced, the LibDems seem to be in the process of being detoxified and that will probably do for Labour in the end

You can never rule out two party politics kicking in at a general election. It'll be interesting to see if the "vote Labour as a vote against Tories" thought process gives in and goes elsewhere in the face of an unpopular leader, incompetent politics and the arrogant, take Remain voters for granted attitude that's been on display while chasing Leave votes they can't win.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23265 on: June 13, 2019, 12:16:31 am »
Wasnt the Yvette-Cooper proposal that just scraped through to prevent a no deal (or someones motion)? Why was today's motion different to that?

I haven't a clue what's going on anymore

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23266 on: June 13, 2019, 12:22:21 am »
Wasnt the Yvette-Cooper proposal that scraped through to prevent a no deal? Why was today's motion different to that?

I haven't a clue what's going on anymore

Cooper's proposal last time only applied to the last time we faced 'no deal'. So it effectively gave the government cover to get an extension and push the decision to October. Today's vote was to start a similar process to what happened with Cooper but applying to October. First stage is to carve out time in Parliament for the opposition parties and Tory rebels to pass a law but it's failed at that point. Question is whether MPs will now get any other opportunity to even try the first stage - the government doesn't have to give the opposition time to do anything, which is the time they used today, and that leaves amending relevant legislation the government may want to pass - but 'no deal' can happen without the government needing to pass anything.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23267 on: June 13, 2019, 12:33:22 am »
Got you, thanks.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23268 on: June 13, 2019, 07:51:59 am »
Cant they be booted out, some of those have defied their party on every vote put forward

If that could happen then Corbyn wouldn't be in the party now

He voted over 400 times against the Labour Whip (More than 500 times total)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #23269 on: June 13, 2019, 06:24:02 pm »
Or on the other hand they lived through the Korean War, the trouble in Palestine, Aden,national service, three day week, numerous strikes,  black tuesday, Pound devalued at least three times, the iron curtain, the cuban missile crisis, the worry about an atomic war instead of affordable housing try slum dwellings no central heating outside toilets, tin baths in front a fire if you were lucky, coal fires if you were lucky, no school buses, no cars to take you to school you either cycled or walked,  a fledgling NHS system nobody could afford holidays abroad,  11 plus, bog standard secondary modern schools, teachers who hit the students, police officers that hit kids if they messed up, hanging, homosexuality a crime,  no chance of university unless you were in a grammar school and parents who could afford to help you out, the grants were nowhere near enough, high unemployment throughout the decades, pollution from the power stations and furnaces, no internet, precious little tv , two radio stations, only one played music. the years of Heath Wilson bouncing in and out of number ten like rubber balls, before that the never had it so good Macmillan, then the grouse shooting Hume, the Profumo scandal, world in turmoil more wars than you have ever seen.

Now i understand that todays generation and people like you just feel entitled to a lot of stuff we never had and at the time frankly never needed, but if you think growing up in the fifties and sixties was so fucking easy then you are delusional feller, yeah the baby boomers great time to be alive !  Land of Milk and Honey mate.

You're pretty spot on with most of that. I have never been fond of these attempts to sow generational division.

What I will say though is that the younger generations today are the first since before the wars who are likely to see their standard of living decline as the years go by, whereas the boomers had more to look forward to (at least in theory). I think people can deal with more in the present if they know things are likely to get better in the future.

I'd also say that, materialism aside, boomers at least had more in the way of community and identity even if times were more lean. Young generations today have never known anything but individualistic consumerism, as that is what they have inherited. I'd say the former is probably more conducive of a happy and meaningful life, far more then materialism.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #23270 on: June 13, 2019, 06:31:54 pm »
You're pretty spot on with most of that. I have never been fond of these attempts to sow generational division.

What I will say though is that the younger generations today are the first since before the wars who are likely to see their standard of living decline as the years go by, whereas the boomers had more to look forward to (at least in theory). I think people can deal with more in the present if they know things are likely to get better in the future.

I'd also say that, materialism aside, boomers at least had more in the way of community and identity even if times were more lean. Young generations today have never known anything but individualistic consumerism, as that is what they have inherited. I'd say the former is probably more conducive of a happy and meaningful life, far more then materialism.

Totally agree with the community element in those days people looked after each other, now they shut the door and remain strangers, also we had such things as playing fields were we could play sports for free or hang around with our mates now they have these sterile sports centers were people workout alone with the headphones to cut out anyone and anything around them which also costs money and the kids end up hanging about in supermarket carparks and suchlike places because they have nowhere else to go to.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #23271 on: June 13, 2019, 06:33:09 pm »
Fucking hell MP’s are not that bright.

Your Damascus moment?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23272 on: June 13, 2019, 08:48:03 pm »
Your Damascus moment?

More likely to be daily amazement at how often they manage to lower the bar.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23273 on: June 15, 2019, 11:21:59 pm »
Varadkar: Removing backstop 'is effectively no deal'

The taoiseach (Irish prime minister) has said removing the backstop from the Withdrawal Agreement, would be "effectively the same as no deal".

Leo Varadkar was responding to comments from some candidates seeking to replace Theresa May as prime minister.

Many contenders have proposed changes to the backstop, even though the EU says it is not up for renegotiation.

Mr Varadkar said: "If we don't have that (the backstop), there is no deal".

Speaking on Irish National Broadcaster RTÉ's Marian Finucane programme, the taoiseach said it was "alarming" some leading Conservatives were suggesting a no-deal Brexit.

"It's a legal guarantee and legally operable guarantee that we will never see a hard border again," Mr Varadkar said of the backstop.

He also responded to calls for a time limit to be attached to the backstop.

"The difficulties we have with a time limit, is effectively you are saying there will or could be a hard border once that time limit expires - that isn't a backstop," he said.

"What we are open to, and always have been open to, is alternative arrangements that perhaps could avoid a hard border, through procedures and technologies and so on.

"What we expect, and I don't think it's unreasonable - we want to see that fleshed out, we want to see it exist, it demonstrated before we are willing to give up the backstop.

"What people are saying is, 'give up the backstop' which we know will work legally and operationally in return for something that doesn't yet exist but might exist in the future.

"I can't do that to the border communities."

Mr Varadkar also said he was "concerned at the idea, and there is an idea there in Westminster, in London, that somehow Theresa May was a bad negotiator and got a bad deal.

"That's not true. She was a good negotiator, she had a good team.

"She probably got the best deal that she could get given that a country leaving the EU doesn't have much leverage.

"The fact that the failure of the House Of Commons to ratify the Withdrawal Agreement somehow means they are going to get a better deal, that is just not how the European Union works," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48647656

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23274 on: June 16, 2019, 09:07:28 pm »
I'm not sure if this was his own idea, or if he has an inside source on Team Boris, but Michael Portillo thinks Boris' renegotiation trick with the EU will be to turn the backstop into an NI only backstop and then put that to a referendum in Northern Ireland.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23275 on: June 16, 2019, 09:12:18 pm »
I'm not sure if this was his own idea, or if he has an inside source on Team Boris, but Michael Portillo thinks Boris' renegotiation trick with the EU will be to turn the backstop into an NI only backstop and then put that to a referendum in Northern Ireland.

He'd piss off not only the DUP by doing that, but also the Scottish Tories because it's potentially splitting up the union via another referendum which is what they spend their time saying the SNP is bad for pursuing.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23276 on: June 16, 2019, 09:13:39 pm »

The ERG would have that. They couldnt give a shit about NI and the DUP.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23277 on: June 16, 2019, 09:25:49 pm »
He'd piss off not only the DUP by doing that, but also the Scottish Tories because it's potentially splitting up the union via another referendum which is what they spend their time saying the SNP is bad for pursuing.

Also set's the precedent that a part of the UK can stay in the SM & CU. If NI can do it, why not Scotland?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #23278 on: June 16, 2019, 09:26:18 pm »
Also set's the precedent that a part of the UK can stay in the SM & CU. If NI can do it, why not Scotland?
Or London..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23279 on: June 16, 2019, 09:33:28 pm »
As said DUP and SNP hit the roof. not to mention how this could possibly work in practical terms, tariffs between NI and rest of UK, NI in UK but not it's trade agreements with the rest of the world but the biggest short term flaw and contradiction to his arguments is how can he possibly get this whole process completed by the end of October. I thought he promised Family guy there would be no extension under any circumstances.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis