539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1440239 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Brexit thread - Rocky Horror Brexit Shitshow Hallowe'en Special!
« Reply #23080 on: June 3, 2019, 08:58:06 pm »
Of course they will, and they will never twig that it was their vote that lead to it either.

And "their" media will gve them a suitable scapegoat to take the blame.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #23081 on: June 3, 2019, 09:35:38 pm »
You need to get that information on a bus these Brexiteers believe anything written on the side of a bus.

£350m a week extra on one side, £700m a week to the USA on the other?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #23082 on: June 3, 2019, 09:37:09 pm »
Boris says £5000 per pupil extra funding in schools..

:lmao

It will never happen.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #23083 on: June 3, 2019, 09:59:24 pm »
Did he say which school?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23084 on: June 4, 2019, 08:02:28 am »
Much in this has been said on here, but it's still a useful touchstone for how it looks from elsewhere on the left. Prof.Stephen Fielding with some analysis on Corbyn's problem over which course to steer on Brexit: https://ukandeu.ac.uk/jeremy-corbyn-is-in-unfathomable-trouble-over-brexit/

Corbyn’s claim to want to unite Leave and Remain supporters and focus on more important issues, notably austerity and the inequalities it has engendered is now in tatters. He is faced with the need for clarity or see his party squeezed by the Brexit Party and those parties which enthusiastically support Remain.

The overwhelming majority of Labour voters and members want the UK to Remain in the EU and at the very least seek a referendum on any deal agreed by the Commons. In the European Parliament elections the party mostly lost support to Remain parties. There is, bluntly, no other electorally pragmatic course for Labour to take but to embrace Remain.

In the days following the announcement of Labour’s European Parliament election results, Corbyn remained reluctant to take that course. He appears to have grudgingly conceded that any Brexit deal should be put to a referendum, but expressed himself such opaque terms it is uncertain if that vote would have Remain as an option. His pained expression during interviews in which this apparent concession was announced is easy to interpret.

For Corbyn, history has come full circle: he is now part of a Leave Labour leadership faced with a Remain membership. If the Labour leader hopes to obfuscate his way out of this fix, unlike the wily Harold Wilson – whose pragmatism was infamous – Corbyn lacks the ability or desire to abandon one of his cherished ideological lodestars.

What was once seen by members as one of Corbyn’s most cherished characteristics – his stubborn adherence to principle – has now become a fatal weakness.

Both the main parties seem intent on coasting through past conference season before facing the deadline at the end of October. Would seem like Macron would like the EU line to be decided later this month if the noises from him are an indication. No more extensions, according to him, although "It’s feasible if we have the perspective of either a new referendum or a totally new scheme which would be acceptable for the 27 and our negotiator." By new scheme, I would think more in line with another form of democratic exercise to make a decision as the Withdrawal Agreement isn't going to be renegotiated. Reuters
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23085 on: June 4, 2019, 03:48:52 pm »
Half of Change UK's MP's leave. Ha.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #23086 on: June 4, 2019, 04:28:51 pm »

I'm sorry but that's very funny.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23087 on: June 4, 2019, 04:33:36 pm »
I just realized I completely forgot about Brexit the past couple of days.

Crazy what a European Cup can do for you. Oh the irony :D

I can't be the only one.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23088 on: June 4, 2019, 09:01:20 pm »
Not seen the news story. Is this because they did so badly in the Euros that they've decided the party is going nowhere?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #23089 on: June 4, 2019, 09:24:26 pm »
Not seen the news story. Is this because they did so badly in the Euros that they've decided the party is going nowhere?

Could be because they wanted a change?

They probably felt initially that the Lib Dems would be a tough sell to the electorate due to the coalition so thought maybe an 'untainted' centrist group could make some inroads. With the Local and European elections being wins for the Lib Dems I guess some now feel they're a distraction to the core Remain movement as a party.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23090 on: June 4, 2019, 09:36:03 pm »
Could be because they wanted a change?

They probably felt initially that the Lib Dems would be a tough sell to the electorate due to the coalition so thought maybe an 'untainted' centrist group could make some inroads. With the Local and European elections being wins for the Lib Dems I guess some now feel they're a distraction to the core Remain movement as a party.

The reason for ChUK is the need for a Remain party untainted by the Lib Dems' unsurmountable toxicity of the Coalition and tuition fees. The EU elections showed that this isn't so unsurmountable after all. So there is no reason to further divide the Remain vote. A Remain-backing Labour party would be even more unifying for the Remain cause. But that's not going to happen with Corbyn at the helm, and Corbyn is in solid control of the Labour party. So uniting the Remain vote behind the Lib Dems is the best course.

Not that this will be enough. You still have people gloating over the uselessness of ChUK, whilst simultaneously saying they'll never vote Lib Dem because "tuition fees".
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #23091 on: June 4, 2019, 10:14:40 pm »

If I was being cynical I they realised they could well lose their seats to the Lib Dem’s, but I guess we’ll only really find out if they decide to join the Lib Dem’s or not.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #23092 on: June 5, 2019, 12:24:41 am »
EU has given Frottage 24 hours to explain his failure to declare expenses funded by Aaron Banks
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/04/eu-gives-nigel-Frottage-24-hours-to-explain-arron-banks-funds

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23093 on: June 5, 2019, 07:58:59 am »
Charlie Faulkner (Ex lord chancellor) reckons that there is no chance that a government could prorogue parliament to force a no deal Brexit.  He reckons the courts would immediately over turn it.

That’s very interesting
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #23094 on: June 5, 2019, 08:08:38 am »
EU has given Frottage 24 hours to explain his failure to declare expenses funded by Aaron Banks
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/04/eu-gives-nigel-Frottage-24-hours-to-explain-arron-banks-funds

And he's already said he's not complying, with any attempt by the EU to force the issue only going to play well with his core vote.

“What is this but an EU kangaroo court where I am given 24 hours notice about allegations picked up from press stories?

“I will not be attending at such short notice. And if they try to bar me from the building, who else gives voice to the thousands of people who voted for me? Is this democracy EU style?

I dunno Nige, I thought you were elected as part of a team of about 8 people for the region? Maybe one of them? At least 2 or 3 are from your party.

For a while I've felt politics has had similarities to the fall of the Roman Republic, with a number of politicians too popular (with the mob) and too untouchable (insulated by wealth & connections) to be reigned in by the existing institutions of the state; and them realising the power they could have.

But who ends up as Caesar?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #23095 on: June 5, 2019, 08:11:23 am »
Charlie Faulkner (Ex lord chancellor) reckons that there is no chance that a government could prorogue parliament to force a no deal Brexit.  He reckons the courts would immediately over turn it.

That’s very interesting

But aren't we now over the 2 years that this session was supposed to exist? Aren't there some that have bemoaned the legislative agenda is now bare and there's nothing to do except wait for movement on Brexit?

What's the technical difference between proroguing Parliament and legitimately bringing the session to a close?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23096 on: June 5, 2019, 08:41:44 am »
But aren't we now over the 2 years that this session was supposed to exist? Aren't there some that have bemoaned the legislative agenda is now bare and there's nothing to do except wait for movement on Brexit?

What's the technical difference between proroguing Parliament and legitimately bringing the session to a close?
Not sure if anything the new PM and Government could do in the event of the courts stipulating that that they cannot prorogue Parliament or otherwise subvert law. Did not the EU long ago stipulate that the UK must leave the Union is accordance with the UK constitution (such as it is)? So, even if this / the new government ignores the courts and runs down the clock, the EU might determine that the UK has not legally left the EU. This would be important, as it would allow a new government to reverse course. There still would be plenty of chaos in the interim, so this would probably make the public more amenable to the UK changing course and remaining within the EU.

Would someone with actual knowledge (as opposed to my speculation) like to comment?
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #23098 on: June 5, 2019, 12:50:59 pm »
Boris says £5000 per pupil extra funding in schools..

:lmao

It will never happen.

B-B   Boris-Bullshit
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23099 on: June 5, 2019, 12:52:49 pm »
https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1136008108663345152?s=21

What a fucking helmet
Who does he think he is, the USA won't negotiate trade with him. he has no authority to represent the British government in trade talks, it would be a complete waste of time for the USA. he will have a chat with Trump and pass it off as him wining a wonderful trade deal, details to be worked out later.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #23100 on: June 5, 2019, 03:27:31 pm »
Who does he think he is, the USA won't negotiate trade with him

It's all part of the charade. He plays up his friendship with Trump, the BP put together their 'delegation' and fly it over to the US where both sides start talking about all the things they agree on and how great the deal they've agreed in principle is, if only the Government could just get rid of the EU 'shackles'. Meanwhile the actual grown ups (ymmv) dealing with real life continue to be unable to break the Brexit deadlock.

After that, in the eyes of the greater unwashed electorate, Westminster becomes this even more arcane institution where nothing gets done or decided. I'm not even sure Frottage wants Brexit to happen now, as he's making such huge political capital out of its delay. An extension past October would further shore up the BP vote, if a GE were to go ahead.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #23101 on: June 5, 2019, 03:57:56 pm »
It's all part of the charade. He plays up his friendship with Trump, the BP put together their 'delegation' and fly it over to the US where both sides start talking about all the things they agree on and how great the deal they've agreed in principle is, if only the Government could just get rid of the EU 'shackles'. Meanwhile the actual grown ups (ymmv) dealing with real life continue to be unable to break the Brexit deadlock.
Yes this is a farce, but it’s also incredibly dangerous.  It’s setting up the idea of an alternative, more legitimate (to his moron followers) set of institutions - which might look stupid to us now, but it’s also the invariably deliberate Step One towards undermining the State and rule of law in a country.  It’s for that reason that it’s a criminal act in the US (unauthorised diplomacy with a foreign power, or something like that) so it will be interesting to see if he actually tries to follow through with it and what happens in the US as a result.  I don’t know if it’s illegal here.

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #23102 on: June 5, 2019, 06:40:39 pm »
Yes this is a farce, but it’s also incredibly dangerous.

Oh definitely. It's been mentioned on RAWK about the need for Labour to look like a 'Government in Waiting' whilst the Tory death throes carry on, but the leadership have managed to make a right hash of that and Frottage's big idea is apparently to just do it whilst outside parliament completely. It's a coup waiting to happen.

As an aside, I still think this was the grand Putin plan for the US, have Trump challenge but fall short but almost create a 'Government in Exile' existing entirely on the Fox airwaves/alt-right websites etc. criticising everying the Democrats did and laying into public enemy "Killary" at every opportunity.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23103 on: June 5, 2019, 08:09:03 pm »
B-B   Boris-Bullshit

I misread it...

It’s £5000 per pupil minimum

Well currently the minimum is £4800, and most schools get more.  This is a fucking terrible commitment and will only help a very small number of schools.

Indeed, the devil is in the detail, this could also be a cut in average per pupil spending (in theory).  At most it’s a commitment of only about £150m

What a pile of utter shite.
W

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #23104 on: June 5, 2019, 08:19:19 pm »
I misread it...

It’s £5000 per pupil minimum

Well currently the minimum is £4800, and most schools get more.  This is a fucking terrible commitment and will only help a very small number of schools.

Indeed, the devil is in the detail, this could also be a cut in average per pupil spending (in theory).  At most it’s a commitment of only about £150m

What a pile of utter shite.

do we expect any less from that chancer.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23105 on: June 5, 2019, 08:34:59 pm »

After that, in the eyes of the greater unwashed electorate, Westminster becomes this even more arcane institution where nothing gets done or decided. I'm not even sure Frottage wants Brexit to happen now, as he's making such huge political capital out of its delay. An extension past October would further shore up the BP vote, if a GE were to go ahead.
Yep, it will be the best trade deal in history, dead easy as well,all worked out over a cup of tea one afternoon.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23106 on: June 5, 2019, 08:36:02 pm »
do we expect any less from that chancer.
Nope.

If he’s the answer, then what fucking questions are they asking?
W

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23107 on: June 5, 2019, 09:04:15 pm »
@jimmney. We are in uncharted waters. Your speculation is probably as solid as anyone's knowledge around such things. Quite possibly there's decades of stuff for the courts to wade through regardless of outcome.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23108 on: June 5, 2019, 09:26:08 pm »
The legal default is that we leave the EU on 31st October. That it causes issues without further legislation is a separate thing to that fact. Out is out. And any negotiations with the EU would then be conducted subject to vetoes by every single member state (and regional assemblies where they have a say in such things too).

re. Prorogation of parliament - Leadsom has it that the clerks in the Commons have told her that it isn't possible, although whatever the truth to that (and the chances of Leadsom asking the right question of the clerks are likely to be low) even the attempt would be a major constitutional issue as it pulls the Queen into the political arena whether she agrees to her ministers' advice or not. Both Boles and Powell reckon there's no way they can stop it as MPs if a PM was determined to try it out. Think they're tacitly ruling out bringing down the government for the moment because there's not a majority for it unless Corbyn and co. are willing to accept they'd need to support someone else as PM.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #23109 on: June 6, 2019, 09:50:54 am »
I'm sure nice John Major forced an extremely long prorogation through for some extremely dodgy reason. Anything can happen in that place, so it seems, so don't build up your hopes too much.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2019, 10:34:37 am by Dr. Beaker »
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #23110 on: June 6, 2019, 11:51:10 am »
Bercow doesn't seem likely to permit proroguing Parliament anyway

‘Parliament will not be evacuated from the centre stage of the decision making process on this important matter - that simply not going not happen it's just so blindingly obvious.’

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23111 on: June 6, 2019, 12:20:50 pm »
I'm sure nice John Major forced an extremely long prorogation through for some extremely dodgy reason. Anything can happen in that place, so it seems, so don't build up your hopes too much.
I think Bercow is ready and waiting with his ruling, John Bercow: no-deal Brexit impossible without parliament
Speaker’s comments suggest law that would block process.

The idea that parliament is going to be evacuated for the centre stage of debate on Brexit is simply unimaginable,” he said. “The idea the House won’t have its say is for the birds
https://www.ft.com/content/e9740f30-8169-11e9-b592-5fe435b57a3b.”

« Last Edit: June 6, 2019, 12:25:21 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23112 on: June 6, 2019, 01:32:43 pm »
From Guardian's Rowena Mason.

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson could avoid facing an immediate confidence vote in his premiership if he becomes Conservative leader, as ministers are considering whether to send MPs home early for their summer break before the new prime minister is announced.

Mel Stride, the new leader of the House of Commons, aroused suspicions that the Conservatives are plotting to put off a confidence vote for their new leader until September, as he refused to confirm when recess will start. (See 11.36am.)

He said it was “not necessarily” the case that the new Conservative leader would have to appear in front of parliament before MPs go off on holiday until the autumn.

Ministers appear to be trying to get round the threat of a new Conservative leader failing to be able to form a government, if Johnson or one of the other frontrunners to succeed Theresa May loses the support of some Tory MPs or cannot win over the Democratic Unionist party.

Labour sources said they believe the government whips are planning recess to start potentially as early as July 19 – almost a week earlier than last year – while the Conservatives will not say exactly when the winner of their leadership contest will be announced, other than it will be in the week of July 22.

The move to delay a confidence vote until September would give a new leader the chance to ensure its confidence and supply deal with the DUP still stands.

However, it could mean that Theresa May would not be able to go to Buckingham Palace straight away and resign as prime minister. Her spokesman said May would only hand over the keys to No 10 when “she says to the Queen that she is stepping aside and believes that someone else can command the confidence of the House”.

Guardian Live Blog

Think I've posted before about the timing of a confidence vote but anything after 2nd September would mean needing to find a temporary government to avoid going over the cliff edge during a general election campaign.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23113 on: June 6, 2019, 02:03:12 pm »
Hold up, rewind please. Are 'we' suggesting, that the first thing the 'democratically elected' new PM could do in parliament is face a vote of no confidence?

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23114 on: June 6, 2019, 02:05:09 pm »
From Guardian's Rowena Mason.

Guardian Live Blog

Think I've posted before about the timing of a confidence vote but anything after 2nd September would mean needing to find a temporary government to avoid going over the cliff edge during a general election campaign.
What do they mean by Ministers having the power to send MPs home 1 week earlier than planned, they maybe able to send Tory MPs home early but surely they can't send Parliament home 1 week early without Parliaments approval.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23115 on: June 6, 2019, 02:56:49 pm »
What do they mean by Ministers having the power to send MPs home 1 week earlier than planned, they maybe able to send Tory MPs home early but surely they can't send Parliament home 1 week early without Parliaments approval.

Government control timetable. Speaker can recall if there's good cause during a recess. If you've a majority to change the timetable then you've majority to change the government...

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23116 on: June 6, 2019, 03:11:40 pm »
Government control timetable. Speaker can recall if there's good cause during a recess. If you've a majority to change the timetable then you've majority to change the government...
Yes but they are saying Ministers will send MPs on holiday 1 week early. it implies the MPs will have no say which seems hard to believe.
The majority of MPs are against a no deal, I assume this majority will vote against Parliament taking a early Summer recess given the chance. all opinion of course, I haven't got a clue on Erskine May . :)
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23117 on: June 6, 2019, 03:36:10 pm »
Yes but they are saying Ministers will send MPs on holiday 1 week early. it implies the MPs will have no say which seems hard to believe.
The majority of MPs are against a no deal, I assume this majority will vote against Parliament taking a early Summer recess given the chance. all opinion of course, I haven't got a clue on Erskine May . :)

MPs get a say on the motion whether to have a recess from the dates the government sets, aye. And then on any attempts by the government to amend those dates. Last year, the government knew it couldn't get through amended dates so didn't bother trying. This year the initial dates haven't been set yet.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23118 on: June 6, 2019, 04:15:03 pm »
MPs get a say on the motion whether to have a recess from the dates the government sets, aye. And then on any attempts by the government to amend those dates. Last year, the government knew it couldn't get through amended dates so didn't bother trying. This year the initial dates haven't been set yet.
Doesn't that confirm that Ministers don't have the power to cut short this Parliamentary session without the approval of Parliament itself.
The Tories plan to delay any new Tory PM from facing parliament till September but they will have to send MPs home 1 week earlier for their plan to work. I don't see why they would be trying to do this if it wasn't a important part of their plan.
MPs against a no deal know what they are up too, I can't see them getting away with it. hope so anyway. this is getting crazier by the minute.
EDIT, News from No 10.

No 10 rules out starting Commons summer recess before new PM takes office - live news

Downing Street has answered the question that Mel Stride, the leader of the Commons, was dodging during business questions this morning (see 11.36am), my colleague Peter Walker reports. He is just back from the afternoon lobby, where journalists were told the government is not planning to start recess before the new PM takes office.

Peter Walker

@peterwalker99
 No10 clarifies that they *do* expect the Commons to still be sitting when a new PM is in place - countering earlier expectations MPs could be sent home to avoid any instant Tory unrest against May’s successor.

4:02 PM - Jun 6, 2019
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/jun/06/tory-leadership-gove-boris-johnson-says-he-would-be-more-flexible-on-brexit-timing-than-johnson-to-avoid-risk-of-election-live-news?page=with:block-5cf8fc8e8f088cce49a858de#block-5cf8fc8e8f088cce49a858de
« Last Edit: June 6, 2019, 04:23:18 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #23119 on: June 6, 2019, 04:48:38 pm »
Doesn't that confirm that Ministers don't have the power to cut short this Parliamentary session without the approval of Parliament itself.
The Tories plan to delay any new Tory PM from facing parliament till September but they will have to send MPs home 1 week earlier for their plan to work. I don't see why they would be trying to do this if it wasn't a important part of their plan.
MPs against a no deal know what they are up too, I can't see them getting away with it. hope so anyway. this is getting crazier by the minute.

Aye. But if the government haven't got the votes to pass the motion to have a summer recess this year, which means avoiding a confidence vote in the new PM if they do try to do that before Tory leadership is decided, then the chances of surviving the following confidence vote (which would be the only reason to keep parliament open given gridlock on Brexit) are slim indeed.