Author Topic: France 98  (Read 19966 times)

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
France 98
« on: October 14, 2009, 12:23:09 pm »
Anyone hear the look back at France 98 on Five Live last night? Thought it was brilliant. Brough back so many memories, especially when you consider that the last two World Cups have been pretty poor in comparison.

Highlights obviously included the England-Argentina game which was incredible for so many reasons, Bergkamp's goal against Argentina, Croatia taking the tournament by storm and of course the Zidane inspired final victory for France (not to mention the Ronaldo nonsense beforehand).

People also forget that this was the World Cup which saw Jamaica qualify and also saw the USA play Iran.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00n7gdn/5_live_Sport_The_World_Cup_Years_1998/

Anyway, great memories. What are yours?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: France 98
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 12:25:53 pm »
My parents had a house in France. With an address in France you could apply for a ticket to follow a team for as far as they went (except France, obviously). They only told me after the deadline for applications. Not that I am still bitter about it though...

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 12:35:06 pm »
I watched the Fifa World Cup Official Films 1998 episode on ESPN classic last night. Its basically all the stock footage used from the tournament (about a million different camera angles shot on expensive cameras). Oh and the voice over is done by Sean Bean

"Pure drama! The 1998 film was shot on Super 16 mm film and included the most complete and extensive coverage ever, with each match being filmed from more angles than any previous film. All of these classic, historic moments can be re-lived again with the incomparable FIFA World Cup™ Film Collection. A Collection that tells the story of the world's greatest football tournament with the style, experience and coverage that it deserves, capturing all of the passion, tears and triumph for future generations of football fans."

http://www.espnclassic.com/highlights/180/fifa-world-cup-official-films.html

Also watched the highlights of the 99' friendly between France and England at Wembley. The difference in quality was so funny to watch. France kept hold of the ball so well and just toyed with england. Don't remember watching that game at the time
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 12:39:21 pm »
I'd say the World Cup 06 started off really good when it felt like every single goal was a 30 yard screamer, but once it got to the knockouts we were denied of any proper drama until Italy's last 2 games.

But yeah, I remember watching France 98 as an 8 year old and being captured by everything that happened in it. I remember being incredibly destroyed in the brain when Brazil lost in the final, Ronaldo was my hero! :'(

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 12:41:07 pm »
Think the 98 WC was the first time I watched any proper football. Remember all the drama with Ronaldo beforehand, and then France just outclassing Brazil in the final with Zidane having a cracker.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:44:46 pm by Ultimate Bromance »
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline ohh_v

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 12:45:52 pm »
Think the 98 WC was the first time I watched any proper football.

Yeah, this is where it all started for me.

Offline MaschHead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 12:47:23 pm »
Most of the games of the Dutch team, broke all kinds of viewing records here in Holland. Shaky start against Belgium, then the 5-0 against Korea, having to play Cocu as a striker against Mexico and him scoring a great goal.

Emotional game against Yugoslavia with Bergkamp stamping on Mihajlovic (and him refusing to shake hands for that in Euro2000). Davids scoring the winning goal in injury time after he had fallen out with Hiddink in Euro96, but just before the tournament they put it behind them.

Ofcourse the game against Argentina with Bergkamp's wonder goal a few minutes before the end. Then the semifinal which is probably the best game I've seen till now. De Boer and Stam against Ronaldo and Rivaldo was amazing to see, then coming back and being robbed of a clear penalty in the dying seconds of the game by a ref from the UAE (...)

The last game didn't matter anymore, most of the players couldn't be bothered to play for third place and we played some reserves and lost, I didn't bother to see the game either.

Other games I enjoyed were;
- Germany-Croatia for obvious reasons (:D)
- Argentina-England with Owen's goal and all the drama in that game,
- Brazil-Denmark was quite a good game as well
- Nigeria-Denmark where the surprise of the first round totally fell apart as they all went for personal glory and Denmark totally destroyed them.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 12:51:27 pm »
Same for me, 98 was the first tournament I wanted to watch all the football I could, not just England games, and I remember our chemistry teacher let us watch England v Tunisia at school as it was on after lunch. Great memories of playing Argentina v England penalties all summer with my mates (nobody wanted to be the Argies :D).

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 12:57:19 pm »
I remember our chemistry teacher let us watch England v Tunisia at school as it was on after lunch.

Half of our school were mysteriously "absent" that afternoon.  ;D

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 12:57:24 pm »
last time Scotland appeared in a world cup (i think)
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 01:10:17 pm »
I had just done my A-levels in '98 and went on a trip with my class-mates. We went to Kos for a week and that was right at the beginning of the WC. I'll always remember watching Austria-Italy with the Italians cheating their way to a 2-1-victory (even the Greek bar-tender said so ;) ). One night we went to the city of Kos and walked through that street with all the bars. We met some group from Norway who were watching one of their games and we had fun with them. I was pretty pissed and after that I only remember talking about football with some Irish or Scottish guy for about an hour... ;)

Other than that, I don't really remember the '98 WC that well. I remember that there was a big fuss about Ronaldo before the final, because he seemed to be injured, but there was so much pressure on him that he played anyway. I liked the 2002 WC better, because I watched loads more games in that (including falling asleep during a pretty dull game involving France (could have been vs. Denmark).

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 01:33:43 pm »
last time Scotland appeared in a world cup (i think)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/W9Lf6P_zPO4&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/W9Lf6P_zPO4&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

Offline Sean Mac Eggman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 01:40:21 pm »
never saw the programme but talking about it is bringing back memories,with Bergkamp's goal being the highlight,not Owen's! :D
Twitter - RandomBaghead

Offline Istanbulievable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 02:09:47 pm »
I remember being in year 7 at school.  We had to choose certain activities to do, so me and a mate chose to go to a play in London as we thought that would get us out of school for longer than other activities.  Oh no, we were very wrong.  This play was at night so we didn't miss school.  What night was it?  The same night as Brazil v Holland.  Needless to say, as two football mad kids, we were gutted as our plan had seriously backfired!

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 02:28:09 pm »
Results and goalscorers of all the games here. Some absolute crackers and to be honest some games that I don't remember.

http://www.planetworldcup.com/CUPS/1998/wc98index.html

Vieri in his pomp, Batistuta, Salas (how good was he by the way?).

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:51:45 pm by stmichael »

Offline Oh Yes BisCAN

• Kopite
  • Where Kenny played...
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 03:01:24 pm »
Remember ducking out of an Art A-Level assessment to watch England - Tunisia at the local pub with most other students only to find the lecturer supposed to be assessing me already in there! In agreed to turn a blind eye to my under aged drinking if we agreed to do the assessment at a later date... Quality!
"Has everybody heard... the bird is the word?" @rabbitrabbiton

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »
was the 3rd world cup i got to see, watched England Tunisia in class if i remember correctly, our whole school was allowed to watch England games :D

have to admit it was one of the best World Cup's i've seen

and I love those world cup years/premiership years/football years programs.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 03:50:08 pm »
The first international tournament I remember was Euro 96, but this was my first World Cup. Absolutely loved it. I remember going home from school on the day England played Tunisia and watching the match on video when I got home, with my dad trying very hard not to give the result away.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 04:43:28 pm »
A great goal only to be out done by greater commentating

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/exlBHTyB1R0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/exlBHTyB1R0</a>

Offline George Costanza

• Main Stander
  • "I am not for everyone."
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 04:58:00 pm »
Good World Cup.  I remember Spain vs Nigeria being a classic.

But for me though, my first World Cup--Italia 90' is the standout tournament.  This has two contributing factors:

1. Nostaligia.  I remember being on hols with my brother and watching the tournament in Belgium and then having a kickabout in the garden straight after watching the game. 

2. Salvatore Scillaci.  I fucking loved him.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:14:40 pm by George Costanza »
"OUR manager"

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 05:03:32 pm »
^ Love that commentating

Was only 6 during this World Cup and 2002 is the first one I remember properly, but I still can recall the Ronaldo fuss and watching the England/Tunisia game in primary school, also my Dad shouting obscenities to high heaven when Petrescu scored in the last minute against England. I was collecting the Panini World Cup stickers as well did anyone here actually get all them? :)

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 05:13:50 pm »
I was living in France then.

My father-in-law got complimentary tickets for France’s quarter-final against Paraguay in Lens. A ticket was offered to me but I wanted a real supporter to have it. Nobody wanted to go –even for free! So I ended up sipping champagne in the France Telecom hospitality tent before watching the first ever game settled by a “Golden Goal” (Laurent Blanc).

The semi was a pizza night in our apartment and the final was spent in Le Touquet. Everyone came out on the street to celebrate, Chirac and Jospin picked up cheap political points by kissing Barthez on the head – and two weeks later everyone had forgotten about it.

So my overwhelming impression was of fans who were only interested for the few minutes after they won it. I mean, we’re still dining out on 1966…..

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 05:30:50 pm »
Zidane plastered all over l'Arc de Triomphe...

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 05:34:48 pm »
Was dating a French bird back then........had a great time........the final game was boss and the "afters" was really, really, REALLY nice ;D

(tis true what they say about sex drive and your team winning!)

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 05:39:32 pm »
I actually went to the final. Too bad I was only 8 and didn't have that much of an interest in football. :(

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 05:59:47 pm »
Lilian Thuram's redemption in the Semi Vs Croatia was without doubt the best moment of that World Cup for me, one of my all time favourite football moments.

His mistake led to Suker taking the lead for Croatia. He could have gone into his shell, could have gone missing after that, Gazza-style.

Instead, he scored. Twice. From right-back. In a World Cup fucking semi.

He played in 141 other games for France and didnt score another goal.

Phrases like "taking responsibilty" and "standing up and being counted" are used far too often in football, usually when John Terry scores in a friendly against the USA, but this was the real deal.

Lilian Thuram, I salute you.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ljHm_DgzWgg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ljHm_DgzWgg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 06:15:25 pm »
Was that Slaven Bilic feigning injury to get Blanc suspended for the biggest match of his life. What a character that Bilic is. He's in a band don'tyano

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 06:24:16 pm »

Now that's a blast from the past i filled that totally shit Panini sticker book i reckon its in this house somewhere hmmmmm?

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 06:32:37 pm »
Now that's a blast from the past i filled that totally shit Panini sticker book i reckon its in this house somewhere hmmmmm?

Isn't it funny how after all those years and plenty of time since the book disappeared I still remember the ones I need: Kasey Keller, Ronald De Boer and the Mexico shiny badge. Got any swaps? :D

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 06:37:27 pm »
Isn't it funny how after all those years and plenty of time since the book disappeared I still remember the ones I need: Kasey Keller, Ronald De Boer and the Mexico shiny badge. Got any swaps? :D

I'm not joking you but if the book is around it will be in a bag with about a two stone weight worth of swaps

Offline liverpool1691

• Anny Roader
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 06:50:31 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/exlBHTyB1R0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/exlBHTyB1R0</a>

Absolutely amazing. The goal and commentary.
LOL I remember I had a mate who cried when Brazil lost he was about 7 but still hilarious!

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 06:52:22 pm »
I had money on Argentina. Fucking Bergkamp.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 06:59:40 pm »
It was also the world cup of the last great adidas football design.  Before they went all shite.  Best design has to be the Argentina ball of '78, though.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2009, 07:40:57 pm »

Dennis Bergkamp scored then? ;D
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 09:09:12 pm »
Lilian Thuram's redemption in the Semi Vs Croatia was without doubt the best moment of that World Cup for me, one of my all time favourite football moments.

His mistake led to Suker taking the lead for Croatia. He could have gone into his shell, could have gone missing after that, Gazza-style.

Instead, he scored. Twice. From right-back. In a World Cup fucking semi.

He played in 141 other games for France and didnt score another goal.

Phrases like "taking responsibilty" and "standing up and being counted" are used far too often in football, usually when John Terry scores in a friendly against the USA, but this was the real deal.

Lilian Thuram, I salute you.

I agree with all of that. A class act.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 09:10:22 pm »
Dennis Bergkamp scored then? ;D

Partridge-esque ;D
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline HoraceGoesSkiing

• Main Stander
  • Dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 09:23:22 pm »
Good World Cup.  I remember Spain vs Nigeria being a classic.

But for me though, my first World Cup--Italia 90' is the standout tournament.  This has two contributing factors:

1. Nostaligia.  I remember being on hols with my brother and watching the tournament in Belgium and then having a kickabout in the garden straight after watching the game. 

2. Salvatore Scillaci.  I fucking loved him.

I'll see your toto scillaci... and i'll raise you an Enzo Scifo ;)

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 09:25:39 pm »
Loved World CUp 98... brilliant. I was 13. Watched loads of matches with me mates which made them well more exciting. We'd play football all morning, watch some games, and then play more footy til it got too dark. (Good old days, jumpers for goalposts etc etc...)

Something that I just remembered is that before the tourney I read an article about Denilson and how he was the best player ever.. he'd just signed for Betis I think, and I was tellin all my mates how ace he was. was he fucking bollocks or what??

Offline Swift

• Slow as fuck
  • Anny Roader
  • You beautiful bald bastard
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 09:35:54 pm »
^ Love that commentating

Was only 6 during this World Cup and 2002 is the first one I remember properly, but I still can recall the Ronaldo fuss and watching the England/Tunisia game in primary school, also my Dad shouting obscenities to high heaven when Petrescu scored in the last minute against England. I was collecting the Panini World Cup stickers as well did anyone here actually get all them? :)

I don't know how anyone could have filled that. I never found a single Saudi Arabia sticker. There was another country whose stickers were not  stickers at all but cards that I had to glue in myself. I think it may have been Germany but could be wrong.
I am a c*nt. I am a c*nt. I am a tremendous great c*nt. :wave
Quote from: Leon Black on 19th October 2009
You shoulda come back with da bottom half of dat ass

Offline MaschHead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 09:45:58 pm »
I was collecting the Panini World Cup stickers as well did anyone here actually get all them? :)

I have one like that complete from Euro88 ;D