Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12294125 times)

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #101880 on: August 18, 2020, 01:49:52 pm »
We’ve been drawn in a group with Port Vale, Tranmere and Wigan in this season’s EFL Cup.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101881 on: August 20, 2020, 04:43:54 pm »
There is a vid of the goalies training in Austria on the website.  It features the expected, Alisson, Adrian, Kelleher and Karius, but there is also another who I had wondered whether it was Grabara from a distance in earlier photos.  But no, and neither does it look like Jaros or orzynski, so I think it must be the new 16 year old who probably hasn’t got his playing registration yet, Fabian Mrozek.  That’ll be good for him. 

Offline Chrisfers

• Boys Pen
« Reply #101882 on: August 22, 2020, 01:19:40 pm »
Liverpool loanee Morgan Boyes starting for Fleetwood v Blackburn this afternoon. Game is on Blackburn's Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQlD0p-0zII

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101883 on: August 22, 2020, 04:30:50 pm »
Under 23's played their 1st friendly today. Woodburn played as did Paul Glatzel and Abdi Sharif.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/406278-glatzel-and-sharif-strike-as-u23s-draw-2-2-with-tns as did

Offline Chrisfers

• Boys Pen
« Reply #101884 on: August 22, 2020, 05:44:55 pm »
Adam Lewis starting for Amiens in their ligue 2 match today

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101885 on: August 22, 2020, 10:35:47 pm »
Glatzel and Sharif with the goals today. Played TNS’ first team (who are preparing for Europa league qualifiers) and we battled back for a 2-2 draw.
Glatzel, Sharif, Cain, clarkson, Woodburn, Bearne, Jaros and Norris all featured. Haven’t seen the full lineup yet.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:37:28 pm by NsRed »

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101886 on: August 22, 2020, 11:36:36 pm »
Glatzel and Sharif with the goals today. Played TNS’ first team (who are preparing for Europa league qualifiers) and we battled back for a 2-2 draw.
Glatzel, Sharif, Cain, clarkson, Woodburn, Bearne, Jaros and Norris all featured. Haven’t seen the full lineup yet.

Tried to find it on TNS website but found this instead

Due to Football Association  of Wales rules concerning fixtures of this nature, we can’t bring you the result. However, as you can see from Scott Ruscoe’s post-match reaction below, he was more than pleased with the performance.

What strange rule is that?! Can’t talk about a pre season friendly result?

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101887 on: August 23, 2020, 04:49:28 am »
woodburn not joining the seniors on pre season kind of shows where he is in the pecking order.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101888 on: August 23, 2020, 08:18:28 am »
Woodburn and Wilson aren't going to make the grade for a Jurgen Klopp Liverpool side, unfortunately. No reason why they can't have a good career elsewhere though.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101889 on: August 23, 2020, 10:38:01 am »
Tried to find it on TNS website but found this instead

Due to Football Association  of Wales rules concerning fixtures of this nature, we can’t bring you the result. However, as you can see from Scott Ruscoe’s post-match reaction below, he was more than pleased with the performance.

What strange rule is that?! Can’t talk about a pre season friendly result?

Perhaps sides were using triallists and/or players who haven’t received their registration to play yet. 

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101890 on: August 23, 2020, 10:47:33 am »
Woodburn and Wilson aren't going to make the grade for a Jurgen Klopp Liverpool side, unfortunately. No reason why they can't have a good career elsewhere though.

You are probably right but it’s wrong to write off Woodburn at 20.  Remember Salah was only good enough by 24 for us.  Most don’t make a direct path into the first team.  Coady took years away and is now a strong player in the Prem.  Ryan Kent may yet do the same.  Now I’m not saying they would get into the team now but that many players take some years gradually working their way back up but that doesn’t mean LFC should offload if they cannot make squad standard so young.    Sadly I fear that Woodburn’s problem may be more about being injury-prone. 

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #101891 on: August 23, 2020, 11:09:29 am »
Don't think Woodburn will ever be anything other than a Championship standard player personally.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101892 on: August 23, 2020, 11:30:44 am »
Woodburn needs a permanent move and a manager who'll help find a role for him in senior football. Kind of floated between  striler/winger/midfielder over the last few years.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101893 on: August 23, 2020, 11:44:47 am »
What about big Billy eh?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #101894 on: August 23, 2020, 11:55:11 am »
Anyone got updates on Adam Lewis's loan?? I know he played, but did he play well??
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101895 on: August 23, 2020, 12:14:04 pm »
What about big Billy eh?

He’s got the makings of a star that’s for sure.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101896 on: August 23, 2020, 12:40:56 pm »
Can we keep out these youth players won't make int in this thread?

Don't want to hear it to be honest. It's tough enough for any youth player as it is. I just want to know how well they're doing etc.

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #101897 on: August 23, 2020, 12:54:19 pm »
Anyone got updates on Adam Lewis's loan?? I know he played, but did he play well??

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/08/adam-lewis-seals-french-football-bow-with-opening-day-victory/

Seemed to do OK, given his relative lack of playing time.  Good luck to the boy, taking a chance with French 2nd division football.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101898 on: August 23, 2020, 12:56:20 pm »
I’ve thought for a while that Swansea would be a good club for Woodburn. Wherever he ends up next season, hopefully he has much better luck with injuries than he did at Oxford.

Koumetio made the most of the minutes he was given yesterday and looked very comfortable stepping up against senior opposition for the first time. Definitely one to keep a close eye on.

Online richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101899 on: August 23, 2020, 12:58:00 pm »
What about big Billy eh?

That cameo certainly raised my eyebrow. Didn't expect him to be that big or gifted. Will be interesting watching him progress.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101900 on: August 23, 2020, 02:14:19 pm »
Leyton Stewart gets a hatrick, along with goals for Tom Hill and newbie Musialski in an U18 5-0 win v Crewe A.  Short report on the official website.  It may be that that Stewart and Hill move up but only after a number of those training with the U23s go out on loan

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #101901 on: August 23, 2020, 02:22:37 pm »
That cameo certainly raised my eyebrow. Didn't expect him to be that big or gifted. Will be interesting watching him progress.

I was really impressed with his desire to play the ball out from the back. And he can certainly head the ball.

Everton have been playing Branthwaite, who I think is 18, in the PL so the opportunity could be there for a talented 17 year old. ;)

Offline Dundalis

• Kopite
« Reply #101902 on: August 23, 2020, 02:35:31 pm »
You are probably right but it’s wrong to write off Woodburn at 20.  Remember Salah was only good enough by 24 for us.  Most don’t make a direct path into the first team.  Coady took years away and is now a strong player in the Prem.  Ryan Kent may yet do the same.  Now I’m not saying they would get into the team now but that many players take some years gradually working their way back up but that doesn’t mean LFC should offload if they cannot make squad standard so young.    Sadly I fear that Woodburn’s problem may be more about being injury-prone.
Just because we decided to buy him at 24, doesn't mean he was only good enough for us at that age. We've bought plenty of players that could have made an impact before we bought them. Not really how it works. The problem with Woodburn and Wilson is pretty much purely about attributes. They are probably both talented enough to play for good teams in the Prem. But neither is suited to playing midfield, and as forwards, they simply don't have the physical profile to play for this team. As wingers they need to be athletic and quick, and I think even for a centre forward, ideally we'd also like someone with those physical attributes, but Firmino makes up for his lack of pace with supreme work rate, technical ability, vision, passing and the defensive ability of an actual midfielder. Curtis Jones is younger and can play the roles Woodburn plays, but is much more physically and technically gifted. Same with Elliot vs Wilson, but even there, I expect us to go and buy a player (i.e. Traore) that just fits the profile better.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #101903 on: August 23, 2020, 02:48:35 pm »
Leyton Stewart gets a hatrick, along with goals for Tom Hill and newbie Musialski in an U18 5-0 win v Crewe A.  Short report on the official website.  It may be that that Stewart and Hill move up but only after a number of those training with the U23s go out on loan

Started the season how he means to go on. Surely its only a matter of time before he moves up?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101904 on: August 23, 2020, 03:09:13 pm »
Thanks for the update. Hoping for a few more of these friendlies and maybe even some highlights soon.
I’d definitely expect a Stewart and Hill call up to the u23 side full time soon (Norris likewise). The likes of Woodburn, maybe even Glatzel and a few others will be out on loan by January imo. Feel like stewart is primed for a massive season and he’s already outgrown u18 football.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101905 on: August 23, 2020, 03:13:03 pm »
Started the season how he means to go on. Surely its only a matter of time before he moves up?
Nailed on imo Jill. Stewart will be spending most of his time with the u23s once the season gets going and loan moves take shape. Would love to see him partner Glatzel up top for a while, Clarkson and Cain pulling strings from midfield...should be a fun year. Glad Sharif is back fit as well, great athlete who can play in multiple positions

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #101906 on: August 23, 2020, 03:25:39 pm »
Nailed on imo Jill. Stewart will be spending most of his time with the u23s once the season gets going and loan moves take shape. Would love to see him partner Glatzel up top for a while, Clarkson and Cain pulling strings from midfield...should be a fun year. Glad Sharif is back fit as well, great athlete who can play in multiple positions

Absolutely its pointless him staying in the u18's he needs to be tested a bit more. Him and Glatzel would be a really interesting partnership as each has different qualities. I liked what I saw from Sharif last season, he looks a very lively prospect and with Clarkson, Norris and Cain posssibly Hill too that u23 side would be well exciting.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101907 on: August 23, 2020, 04:01:03 pm »
Absolutely its pointless him staying in the u18's he needs to be tested a bit more. Him and Glatzel would be a really interesting partnership as each has different qualities. I liked what I saw from Sharif last season, he looks a very lively prospect and with Clarkson, Norris and Cain posssibly Hill too that u23 side would be well exciting.

I like Stewart a lot but he needs to stay with the under 18's for now and play the odd under 23's/under 19' games.

We've Glatel, Hardy and Millar plus I am sure Elliot will play plenty of under 23 games.

Let Stewart stay were he is a play games. No need to rush him.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101908 on: August 23, 2020, 04:16:45 pm »
Millar needs to be looking at a loan at the very least, he’s played first-team football in Scotland and is a full international with Canada, playing under-23 football for us isn’t going to do anything for his development.

I’d be surprised if Stewart and Norris aren’t involved regularly with the under-23s sooner rather than later, assuming the likes of Millar and Gallacher move on to play the regular first-team football that they need now.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101909 on: August 23, 2020, 04:19:20 pm »
I like Stewart a lot but he needs to stay with the under 18's for now and play the odd under 23's/under 19' games.

We've Glatel, Hardy and Millar plus I am sure Elliot will play plenty of under 23 games.

No one is rushing Stewart. It’s just where many think he’ll get the best quality competition for his development.Hardy and Millar are both expected to go on loan/sale. Elliot will play on the wing or in midfield. It’s not rushing Stewart to have him in the u23 setup. He’s 18 in a couple of weeks, scored at a goal-per-game rate last year and has the physical attributes to play older competition.

He’s closer in age to Cain and Clarkson (Who will be with the u23s) than the likes of Balagizi for example who’ll stay with the u18s. James Norris is 6 months younger than Stewart but played 5 times last season for the u23s, and he’s likely first choice LB for them this year.

I think it’s just where we are with our current academy personnel- both the u18 and 23 sides will be ‘younger’. Our back four at u23 level will likely be Hoever-Koumetio-VDB-Norris, all of whom are under 19. Cain, Clarkson, Dixon-Bonner will all feature regularly in midfield and are 18/19. Guys like Hardy and Millar (who were both brought in as stopgaps) are not going to prevent Stewart from getting valuable time in the PL2 year imo.

Offline Two-Headed Sex Beast

• Kemlynite
« Reply #101910 on: August 23, 2020, 10:00:26 pm »
Musialowski has posted some grainy footage of his highlights from today’s U18 game on his instagram story, and I don’t want to get ahead of myself but he looks mustard.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 10:15:02 pm by Two-Headed Sex Beast »

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101911 on: August 23, 2020, 10:53:05 pm »

Hardy and Millar have zero chance of being Liverpool players for the first team, they deserve to go out on loan and find a decent club for themselves

Stewart is clearly a level or two better than u18s and it does him no good whatsoever to spend time beneath his true level, I would definitely like to see Glatzel and Stewart as a partnership

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101912 on: August 23, 2020, 10:54:56 pm »
No one is rushing Stewart. It’s just where many think he’ll get the best quality competition for his development.Hardy and Millar are both expected to go on loan/sale. Elliot will play on the wing or in midfield. It’s not rushing Stewart to have him in the u23 setup. He’s 18 in a couple of weeks, scored at a goal-per-game rate last year and has the physical attributes to play older competition.

He’s closer in age to Cain and Clarkson (Who will be with the u23s) than the likes of Balagizi for example who’ll stay with the u18s. James Norris is 6 months younger than Stewart but played 5 times last season for the u23s, and he’s likely first choice LB for them this year.

I think it’s just where we are with our current academy personnel- both the u18 and 23 sides will be ‘younger’. Our back four at u23 level will likely be Hoever-Koumetio-VDB-Norris, all of whom are under 19. Cain, Clarkson, Dixon-Bonner will all feature regularly in midfield and are 18/19. Guys like Hardy and Millar (who were both brought in as stopgaps) are not going to prevent Stewart from getting valuable time in the PL2 year imo.

Yep, makes sense for Balagizi and the new polish lad to develop at u18s, u23s is already shaping up to be a fearsome side

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101913 on: August 24, 2020, 10:53:26 am »
He’s got the makings of a star that’s for sure.

I couldn't believe the physicality of him. Remember Andre Wisdom coming through and people thinking he would maybe hack it OK in the senior game? Curtis and this lad look capable of actually dominating older guys from a raw strength point of view, the way Troy Deeney bragged about in relation to Lovren earlier in the year.

You wonder how hard we'll work to fill the Lovren gap given the talent coming through the ranks in defence. And Klopp has previous for promoting 'early' across the back four.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #101914 on: August 24, 2020, 10:58:27 am »
I couldn't believe the physicality of him. Remember Andre Wisdom coming through and people thinking he would maybe hack it OK in the senior game? Curtis and this lad look capable of actually dominating older guys from a raw strength point of view, the way Troy Deeney bragged about in relation to Lovren earlier in the year.

You wonder how hard we'll work to fill the Lovren gap given the talent coming through the ranks in defence. And Klopp has previous for promoting 'early' across the back four.

I was prepared for the height but not the overall size of him and I was certainly not prepared for how balanced and agile he was. Van den Berg looks clunky and awkward still, so I expected similar from Koumetio.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #101915 on: August 24, 2020, 12:15:21 pm »
Has anyone seen Koumetio playing for the youth teams?  Couldn't get a good idea of how quick he is in that limited time on the pitch, pace is such a crucial part of our defensive approach.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101916 on: August 24, 2020, 12:48:28 pm »
I had said a few days ago that there was a 5th goalie training with the firsts and wondered if it was the new U18s Fabian mrozek (or similar).  Now the Echo reveal it is a 19 year old Spaniard, Javi Cendon, on trial.  We seem to be stockpiling goalies.

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101917 on: August 24, 2020, 12:53:58 pm »
I was prepared for the height but not the overall size of him and I was certainly not prepared for how balanced and agile he was. Van den Berg looks clunky and awkward still, so I expected similar from Koumetio.

Is he taller than Van Dijk? Someone mentioned that but I have not seen the game.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101918 on: August 24, 2020, 01:05:54 pm »
Is he taller than Van Dijk? Someone mentioned that but I have not seen the game.

Koumetio is 2CM taller than Virgil

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101919 on: August 24, 2020, 01:20:20 pm »
I had said a few days ago that there was a 5th goalie training with the firsts and wondered if it was the new U18s Fabian mrozek (or similar).  Now the Echo reveal it is a 19 year old Spaniard, Javi Cendon, on trial.  We seem to be stockpiling goalies.
Always find the amount of goalkeepers we stockpile in the u23s and u18s crazy.