Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1043046 times)

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Fucking hell lad, he's a buffoon, that seems to be his shtick, mispronunciation of foreign players names and outright fuckwittery.

Yep, but that's all. Compared to the sound bite c*nts pedalling their agendas he's alright.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
He's like your typical drunken Uncle, funny at the time but when you sit down and think about it he's an embarrassment.

I don't mind him either, except when he's talking then he's a fucking idiot.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Phil Neville is probably the thickest so called pundit out there. I don't even think Merson comes close.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Phil Neville is probably the thickest so called pundit out there. I don't even think Merson comes close.

Merson is thick but Neville manages to mix it with being a prick as well.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan

Merson is thick but Neville manages to mix it with being a prick as well.

Imagine being stuck in the jungle with thick as mince Neville and Merson?

Would be like that scene from Deliverance....

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Just wondering, is mince actually thick? I mean it's kind of bitty, and granular. Viscosity is not a quality I've ever associated with mince.

Or am I being as thick as...?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
At least they've taken merson out of the sky bet ads now. That was never a good fit.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Majority of ex pros in the NFL and NBA have actually had a good education on top of their sports careers.*

*I'm aware many of them have degrees handed to them on a plate but you'd think they're not the ones who decide to go in to punditry.

A couple of things to note:

1) Former NFL/NBA players are going to be pretty knowledgeable because their focus is on those leagues which are pretty insular. There are no rival leagues of comparable strength. The NHL has players from several different countries, as does the NBA. The NFL less so.

Maybe, a former NBA player will know something about college basketball (and even more rarely about Euroleague) but they probably won't be dealing with much coaching/player turnover outside of the off-season

2) They may come across as better informed, because those sports (partcularly NFL) are more tactics driven which requires a better knowledge set

3) The draft is a big thing in North American sports and requires an entirely different set of skills. Consequently, many prominent NBA, NFL and NHL broadcasts will have a non-player who understands that world (often a former GM or broadsheet journalist)

I'd actually argue a lot of the football coverage from former players is similar to MLB, where you have the split between those that shun stats and modern tactics and those that embrace them. A lot of PL pundits who were former players started their careers before the influx of continental methods (stats, tactics, sport science) and perhaps that has shaped the backwardness of some of their ideas. Also, I think there is a certain  myopic element that exalts British uniqueness and separateness from the continent, which is perhaps also influencing their approach.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He's been grating for a while but it must be time for McManaman to be on the list. He talks incessant bollocks and has a bad case of ESD. Truly awful.

I think the voting needs to be changed, there's too many to narrow down to 3 so the 3 votes should go to the least bad.

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
Re: 2018 - Who is worst Commentator/Pundit? Get your votes in and I'll add them
« Reply #4169 on: February 10, 2019, 09:12:47 am »
I quite like Ian Wright. Shame he's done so much with The S*n.
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4170 on: February 10, 2019, 09:24:38 am »
Maybe I’m just being overly sensitive, but you tend to find the ones who are quite positive about us don’t get much airtime. I had Keith Andrews on the stream for the Bournemouth game and he was ace.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4171 on: February 11, 2019, 05:14:34 pm »
stuck on a train to Leicester for work, durham talking utter fucking dross about sterling. calling out Liverpool fans about why they aren't whinging now that hes come good. fucking tosspot

Online jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4172 on: February 11, 2019, 05:15:54 pm »
I quite like Ian Wright. Shame he's done so much with The S*n.

yeah hes always been friendly come punditry towards Liverpool. fucking shit hes worked with the s*n

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4173 on: February 11, 2019, 05:39:08 pm »
stuck on a train to Leicester for work, durham talking utter fucking dross about sterling. calling out Liverpool fans about why they aren't whinging now that hes come good. fucking tosspot

Why would Liverpool fans whinge more about Sterling now, we got a fee that is still pretty high even in the post-neymar inflation transfer market and the only bad part of the deal was the manner in which him and his scummy agent forced it through.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4174 on: February 28, 2019, 04:37:00 pm »
Andy Hinchcliffe is a moaning twat. And he absolutely hates us. Can tell he's an ex bitter.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4175 on: February 28, 2019, 06:04:16 pm »
Andy Hinchcliffe is a moaning twat. And he absolutely hates us. Can tell he's an ex bitter.

Ex City too so he’ll be favouring them to win the League.

That said he’d just a bit of a bore on every game he does. “He should have done this, he should have gone with his instep, he’s got that all wrong etc etc”

Commentates like he was Roberto Carlos back in the day rather than a bit of a journeyman who took a decent set piece.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4176 on: February 28, 2019, 06:44:24 pm »
The most shocking thing about him is they mentioned Kenny was looking at signing him at some stage for us  :o
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4177 on: February 28, 2019, 07:12:51 pm »
The most shocking thing about him is they mentioned Kenny was looking at signing him at some stage for us  :o

He was fairly highly rated as a youngster at City and Left Back was one position under Kenny where we didn’t have stellar options although Burrows did well enough.

Not happened to his career to see him drop down to Everton though.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Can I vote for Richard Keys again? And again? And again? The absolute cock-whisperer
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So many to choose from, but Jermaine Jenas is making a late push
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Another honourable mention for Garth Crooks yesterday. Having a pop at Newcastle/Rafa after missing a pen and going 0-2 down. “You’re not ever going to win games if you can’t score your penalties”

Fancy thinking Everton being 2 goals up is a done deal!

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
McManaman is horrendous. Spent about 2 minutes criticising Alisson for a bit of play that started a move we had a good attack from.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
Not the worst by a long shot but Richard Dunne ex man city actually said Klopps job would be under pressure if we didn't win the league this season. Yes really.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Any of the women. Not being sexist, my wife cannot stand them either. For both of us it is a mix of the high pitched voices and that they just seem out of their depth.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Any of the women. Not being sexist, my wife cannot stand them either. For both of us it is a mix of the high pitched voices and that they just seem out of their depth.
Agreed and it's not just the football ones for me.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
In a 'profession' filled with shite don't think they're any more shite than the males. Some of them are actually more insightful, have a few relly good ones here in Ireland.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
No surprise to see Fanny Mills and Fanny Murphy as the top 2.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
McManaman is horrendous. Spent about 2 minutes criticising Alisson for a bit of play that started a move we had a good attack from.

Sounded like he'd just found out his dog had been run over when we equalised
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
Darren Bent on SSN just said he wanted Arsenal to avoid Sevilla in the Europa draw. Seems to just about sum up the standard of pundits here at the moment.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
Don't know his name, but that one on ITV that always sounds smarmy - a bit like the football version of Jeremy Clarkson.
Everything is so exaggerated and dramatic with him..
Annoying voice too.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Darren Bent on SSN just said he wanted Arsenal to avoid Sevilla in the Europa draw. Seems to just about sum up the standard of pundits here at the moment.

Well, he did get his wish. :lmao

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
Don't know his name, but that one on ITV that always sounds smarmy - a bit like the football version of Jeremy Clarkson.
Everything is so exaggerated and dramatic with him..
Annoying voice too.

Sam Matterface?

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
Got to be Tyler. Wanking over United whenever they play. Whenever we score he couldn't sound more depressed. You'd swear a scouser ran over his dog.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Got to be Tyler. Wanking over United whenever they play. Whenever we score he couldn't sound more depressed. You'd swear a scouser ran over his dog.

I feel sorry for those neutrals/Barca fans who have to endure his commentary on whatever feed he is on when the 2nd leg is played at the Camp Nou - it'll be May 1999 all fucking night. Mind you, the home leg will be as bad with references to Paris and Barcelona 1999
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online LFConor

• Kopite
  • Believer
Tyler and Steve mcmannaman, Tyler’s a manc loving twat and mcmannaman is the most miserable bastard alive, whinges about everything regardless of team, swear he hates Liverpool as well
"If the supporters like me, it's not half as much as I like them"
Kenny Dalglish - 6/2/2011

6 European Cups and 19 Leagues thats what we call history

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
Commenting on the CL draw on SSN, Stuart Pearce said that Liverpool had “jettisoned into favouritism”...
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
I can't work out if Leon Stealing A Living Osman is a harmless bitter biased buffoon, or just a bit a bit thick.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I can't work out if Leon Stealing A Living Osman is a harmless bitter biased buffoon, or just a bit a bit thick.

He's got the capacity to be both.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
Osman is a boyhood Red too, but now he let's the hate flow through him.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
I'll be honest, I've taken the piss and slagged Paul Merson off in the past. Not again. Quite hard to watch him opening up about his gambling addiction on tv there.