Author Topic: Why did Peter Beardsley leave all those years ago? What would he be worth today?  (Read 39545 times)

Offline davek110

• Boys Pen
I could think of no better place than this for my first post!

The guy was a legend - one of the best players i have ever seen live and i've seen pretty much all of the top players in the last 30 years or so playing live - Zidane, Messi, both Ronaldo's, etc. His eye for a pass was amazing - someone above mentioned his turn and pass v Forest as an example, sublime! My first visit to Anfield was as a 15 y/o with my dad, who i was constantly asking to take me over from Dublin and that first game was at home to Chelsea in April 1990. You can imagine my horror when i heard Beardsley's name mentioned as a sub! Not to be outdone, we hung around afterwards and saw the players coming out afterwards. My dad called out to the great man and he actually came over and was a complete gentleman, signed an autograph and posed for a pic.

Anyway, just wanted to add my experience to a thread honouring one of our greatest players.

Offline davek110

• Boys Pen
I reckon we missed out on at least 2-3 more European Cups because of that.

Easily - imagine the great Milan side of that time with Van Basten, Gullit, etc against the Liverpool of Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge, etc. What a final that would have been!!

Offline rosie

• WSAS Founder Member
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss not base football player
I reckon we missed out on at least 2-3 more European Cups because of that.

explains the the length of the ban perfectly doesn't it, not that i'm being cynical of course.
no coward soul is mine

Offline coct3au

• twins with arsefinger
  • Kopite
One of the things I loved about Beardsley was his 'economy' of doing things. Despite scoring some amazing goals, most of the time he just did things in a very simple way, to the extent that you might initially think "he's a pretty basic sort of player, he just got a bit lucky there with that pass/shot/dribble. (Again)." But actually it was a sort of minimalist perfection.

It brings to mind the Shankly quote, "Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple." After seeing Beardsley trick his way past someone and almost apologetically pass the ball into the net for the umpteenth time, you realised this was actually a type of modest zen-like genius. He wasn't so much dribbling a ball around a defender, as using some kind of Jedi mind trick on them. You could see opposition players sag their shoulders, mentally kicking themselves, in that split second when his body weight shifted into a direction that, puzzlingly, no-one else could ever quite anticipate. He was a sort of footballing Escher, or perhaps an ordinary office commuter who had somehow acquired access to Harry Potter's platform 9¾.

I would definitely recommend watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLdRuLZNvgg&t=0m56s to see him in action. It's also got his trademark "pickpocket tackle" at 01m:55s, which again he seemed to do regularly in the most nonchalant way possible, but apparently no-one else has quite figured out before or since.

And he always seemed a really decent and unassuming fella too. The fact he ended up playing for so many different clubs (as the clip shows), rather than being kept at all costs, is a total mystery to me.

Offline Dick_Emre

• Kopite
The fact he ended up playing for so many different clubs (as the clip shows), rather than being kept at all costs, is a total mystery to me.

Could never understand why Man Utd signed him and never played him. Silly sods!
#PardewForEngland

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Top man Peter Beardsley. And so was his dad. He was one of the Hoults removal guys who helped me shift home a good few years back. I couldn't let him work much. I just made him tea all day and talked football. The other two guys grafted mind.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
The English Franck Ribery. Whatever Ribery is worth, that's what Beardo would be worth.
Come on.. He wasn't pretty but I'd say he was much prettier than Franck..   ;)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
What a team that was, we sold Ian Rush to Juventus & brought Peter Beardsley, John Barnes & John Aldridge, & signed Ray Houghton as the 87/88 season started. Annoying Souness sold Beardo, even worse it he sold Beardo to the Bitters & replaced him with poor signings, same with the other players Souness sold. If there was such thing as time travel i'd happily go back to the 87/88 season.
#Sausages

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
i dont think so. ray houghton was classified as a "foreigner" as were Rush, Nicol and Saunders

No, players from Britain (England, Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland) and Ireland were  regarded as the same, which is why in the 86 Cup Final we could play with no English players and our foreigners were Grobbelaar, Johnston and Molby.

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Loved Peter Beardsley , was gutted he was even sold never mind to Everton
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
Luis Suarez reminds me a lot of Beardsley, just the quick feet, assists and skill.
Said that when I first saw Suarez - Shame we can't say the same about Barnes and Downing! - Beardsley probably a bit better with his end product than Luis, but then he was a bit older and at his peak when he signed. Luis' finishing and final pass will no doubt become better over the next two years.

Marvellous player to watch. easily 20m+ in todays game
Suarez with better end product? With English tax to boot? More I think!
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline That Kennedy moment

• "Down in 1...down in 1...or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..... *pause* .....47, 48, 49..... *sigh*.....
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why I'm here

I was lucky enough to be at the 5-0 Forest game.

What someone needs to find - please please please - is the BBC HIGHLIGHTS (not the full 90 minutes) that Des Lynam introduced before the 1988 Cup Final.

Is that the highlights film where a shot goes wide at the Anfield Road end and a St John's Ambulanceman walking past on the track casually backheels it back onto the pitch, and the commentator says something like 'Even the ambulance staff at Anfield can play a bit.'

I love that Forest game - we tore them apart that night, and it was lovely to see Tom Finney say it was the best team performance he had ever seen.

As for Beardsley, I still get misty-eyed thinking of that 87-89 side. He could turn a defender inside out just by hovering his right foot over the ball and twisting his hips. Him and Barnes up front were something else. That QPR game at Anfield in October 87 still takes some beating.

I was lucky enough to interview Beardsley a few years ago. He was obliging, generous to the likes of Kenny, and very humble, and he had all the time in the world to talk about the old days. He loved playing for us, it was the highlight of his career - which says a huge amount, given he's a Geordie who played for Newcastle twice over.

Legend.
'I'd rather have a quick wank, a cup of tea and read the Beano frankly.'
Cornelius, 8 September 2008

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Loved to have seen that 87-89 team in the European Cup, if it wasn't for the ban, that would have been a mouthwatering European Cup fixture had it happened, against that great AC Milan side of Van Basten, Gullit & Rijkaard.
#Sausages

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
No, players from Britain (England, Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland) and Ireland were  regarded as the same, which is why in the 86 Cup Final we could play with no English players and our foreigners were Grobbelaar, Johnston and Molby.
1991 i dont think that was the case

Said that when I first saw Suarez - Shame we can't say the same about Barnes and Downing! - Beardsley probably a bit better with his end product than Luis, but then he was a bit older and at his peak when he signed. Luis' finishing and final pass will no doubt become better over the next two years.
Suarez with better end product? With English tax to boot? More I think!
seems to me like kenny did try recreate it but with players not nearly in the same league (downing).

20m min anyway
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline m4ttc

• Main Stander
From memory, Souness really wanted Dean Saunders and at 2.3m, had to recoup most of the cash via the Beardsley sale.  However, Beardsley was falling out of favour even before Kenny resigned in Feb 91 which at the time, there were loads of rumours.

I dont think many supporters were happy with the sale the time and PB went on to play well for a fair few seasons after that and Saunders was gone after 14 months or so.

As for his worth, taking Carroll fee out of the equation I would guess it would be close to a British transfer record just like the £1.7m was back in 1987

Online flyingcod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Barry Davies: "It's the old, old story yet again."
I did an FA Coaching course about seven years back and the instructor was a former pro (Nigel Gleghorn) and we asked him best player he'd ever played against.  Easy, he said, Peter Beardsley.

He recalled one game (think PB was playing for Toon) and Quasi was running the show, but one occasion Nigel he thought he had him, he got in tight behind PB, the ball was basically volleyed to PB ie - was too fast and too high, NG thought I'll win the ball here.  Then PB jumped up, flicked the ball with his the outside of his left foot in one movement, somehow knocked it on to a team mate then received the ball back in the space of 2-3 seconds. Nigel said he just stood there and laughed, gobsmacked at the sheer skill of Our Peter. 

Ah, what a player.  8)

fc
Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt - Bill Shankly

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
Well, pretty sure we broke the British transfer record when Kenny signed him from Newcastle £1.9m I think ?

'triffic little player.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Well, pretty sure we broke the British transfer record when Kenny signed him from Newcastle £1.9m I think ?

'triffic little player.
it was 1.9m

i think it might have lasted a year. Tony Cottee and Paul Gascoigne went for 2m but I think that was 1988. I dont think anyone hit 2m in 1987,

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Total and utter legend. Boy could he finish, he had it all. Like others have said easy worth 20 + 35mil in today's market.

He was truly brilliant.
You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
Aside from the more obvious attributes, most of which have been mentioned, I remember his unique ability to go into a sort of sliding tackle, but instead of the ball flying into touch or generally away, he would somehow actually gain posession of the ball, get up and go on a run.

I have never seen another player do that with any sort of regularity.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Was lucky enough to be in the kop for his hat trick v UTD in a 4-0 win in 1990.  He grabbed a hat trick that day and Barnes the other.  But that day even though he got the hat trick and yes he was excellent - Barnes absolutely messed with UTD that day as he'd done on a few other ocassions.  He was a superb player and made Beardsley's hat trick.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
The English Franck Ribery. Whatever Ribery is worth, that's what Beardo would be worth.

Franck Ribery wishes he was the French Peter Beardsley - Beardsley was comfortably better player.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Quality player surrounded by quality team mates from the back to front. Its hard to think it was over 20 years ago since he was here which obviously coincides with the last time we looked like Champions..were Champions. The lad would have been vying his trade at one of the best clubs in Europe if he was around right now and would have been an ideal foil behind Torres alongside SG on our best days.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
In an interview after one game, an opposition defender said Beardsley played a one-two off his (the defender's) legs to get round another defender. Cheeky, super-talented bastard was the point he was trying to make.

He then said that he thought Beardsley had done it by mistake...

but he did it twice more in the second half!

Genius.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
Quality player surrounded by quality team mates from the back to front. Its hard to think it was over 20 years ago since he was here which obviously coincides with the last time we looked like Champions..were Champions. The lad would have been vying his trade at one of the best clubs in Europe if he was around right now and would have been an ideal foil behind Torres alongside SG on our best days.

Juventus came in for him and McMahon.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline nellyp

• hant. All Hail the old new Baldrick!!!
  • Anny Roader
  • Life's not black and white, it's red and white
Definitely one of my all time favourites, and probably the favourite. I just loved the way he approached the game. This is exactly what we need in the side right now.
In a world of uncertainty and worry, it is calming to know that as a fan of the greatest club in the world I will never walk alone

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
there was a book he released around 1990 with Andy Cairns (now a top head with sky)

he kept a diary of the 1987-88 season which gave a fascinating insight.

Beardsley didnt drink and the night we won the league against spurs (in which he scored the winning goal) he spent the night with his wife having a chippy rather than mix it. thought it was nice and modest of him

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Some info and videos on Peter Beardsley...

LFCHistory.net Player Profile page: www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/264

LiverpoolFC.com Player Profile page: www.liverpoolfc.com/history/past-players/peter-beardsley

Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Beardsley

'Peter Beardsley – Liverpool Football Club 1987–1991' - from MerseyGoals:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/llWtdP-nQcc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/llWtdP-nQcc</a>

Peter Beardsley - 100 players That Shook The Kop:-

www.facebook.com/100067014341562/videos/497821593719981

'Peter Beardsley - The Best of 10 goals for Liverpool FC':-

www.dailymotion.com/video/x61mr36

'John Barnes, Peter Beardsley Liverpool FC 1987-88 season: Highlights and news clips':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hw-Dj42o4Xk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hw-Dj42o4Xk</a>

'On this day | Peter Beardsley signs for the Reds':-

www.facebook.com/LiverpoolEchoLFC/videos/on-this-day-peter-beardsley-signs-for-the-reds/295044392814742

'Great goals from Peter Beardsley':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lQ50TV1n6lI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lQ50TV1n6lI</a>

'Liverpool 5 Nottingham Forest 0 13/04/1988':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RhwWS3FoQ2g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RhwWS3FoQ2g</a>

'Liverpool 2-0 Everton' (1987):-

www.facebook.com/LFC.Grady/videos/962625930894002

'Liverpool 3 Manchester United 3 - 1988':-

www.facebook.com/3Retro/videos/473266566693414

'Barnes and Beardsley helped #Liverpool progress to the 5th round of the '88 FA Cup':-

www.facebook.com/LFC.Grady/videos/313130243423360

Beardsley scores vs Arsenal in '88:-

https://twitter.com/forgottengoals/status/1079292921923452928

'Liverpool 3-2 Everton - 1989 Final':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MEw9bHrdqNw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MEw9bHrdqNw</a>

'Liverpool away to Chelsea in '89':-

https://twitter.com/80s90sfootball/status/1477587901940649988

Beardsley goal in the 1989 Charity Shield vs Arsenal:-

https://twitter.com/3retro_/status/1299649278563045378

Beardsley goal vs Watford in 87/88:-

https://twitter.com/forgottengoals/status/1233668520451420161

'FA Cup Classic Liverpool 4 Everton 4 - 1991':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jt616hEtp38" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jt616hEtp38</a>

'Liverpool 4-0 Manchester United - 1990-91 (Beardsley hat-trick)':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wY3cJwsRttY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wY3cJwsRttY</a>

^ LFCHistory.net match info page: www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1747 (1990/91 season; Sunday 16th September)

'Liverpool - The Mighty Reds 1987/88':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qxwYcid_uSM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qxwYcid_uSM</a>

'Liverpool - Season Review 1989/90':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/w3pR0zz2wSo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/w3pR0zz2wSo</a>

Some 'older' Club History videos featuring Peter Beardsley : www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.msg16108641#msg16108641

RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' post for the 1987/88 season : www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=257286.msg17868708#msg17868708

RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' post for the 1989/90 season : www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.msg17179230#msg17179230

Some youtube playlists for seasons when Peter Beardsley was a Liverpool player...

1987/88 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXsyssK3pgM_JJ6KV8-Hh_0b : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLte5vKHiXI7EIZBPPa4BYCH8xI4HFhoTg

1988/89 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLte5vKHiXI7HpMaqclkaONU7TPJKYKMPj : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC3KiSUH0twd8Sx0qlUSDLX540y0aVY1v

1989/90 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLte5vKHiXI7GfhbEERKgo_gKL-Jee9wgc : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDgk_BDLP9v5gHLD8Ak0H0C-gEZ1ptwhm

1990/91 : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLte5vKHiXI7GacXQVMHwyTV1woOGKQPsJ : www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIQcmZy0mXtyE3eNT0e30-ajtuhKKxxc

'Peter Beardsley Career Compilation':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yLdRuLZNvgg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yLdRuLZNvgg</a>

'Peter Beardsley - Newcastle Nostalgia':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cZ4_24vU1sw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cZ4_24vU1sw</a>

'Peter Beardsley - The Entertainer':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tGaC1VTr_vM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tGaC1VTr_vM</a>

'Peter Beardsley - all England Goals':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zgx8rSoaYfA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zgx8rSoaYfA</a>

Some articles on Peter Beardsley...

The unorthodox genius of Peter Beardsley - https://thesefootballtimes.co/2015/04/09/the-unorthodox-genius-of-peter-beardsley

A blend of Keegan & Dalglish who left Liverpool too soon - www.thisisanfield.com/2020/06/peter-beardsley-a-blend-of-keegan-dalglish-who-left-liverpool-too-soon

The day the magic walked out of Anfield - www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/2552

Beardsley details celebrated move from Newcastle to Liverpool - www.madeupnonsense.com/articles/beardsley-details-celebrated-move-newcastle-liverpool-1310661

Why LFC's team of 87/88 is perhaps England's finest - https://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/07/12/why-liverpools-team-of-1987-88-is-perhaps-english-footballs-finest

Peter Beardsley sets a new standard - www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/1175

Heroes of the past: Peter Beardsley - https://anfieldindex.com/15319/heroes-past-peter-beardsley.html

Beardsley shows no charity - www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/443

Beardsley perfectly at home even on Watford's rice-field - www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/704

Peter Beardsley's Mersey swap was Graeme Souness' mistake - www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/2114

Tears of a crowd for Beardsley (testimonial) - www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3466

The most polarising parts of Beardsley's career (Newcastle article) - https://ultrautd.com/peter-beardsleys-career-1983-98

90s Ballers: Peter Beardsley, England’s Messi-lite - https://thefootballfaithful.com/90s-ballers-peter-beardsley-englands-messi-lite

Every footballer to have played for both Liverpool and Everton - www.90min.com/posts/every-footballer-liverpool-everton

Peter Beardsley player profile page at Transfermarkt - www.transfermarkt.co.uk/peter-beardsley/profil/spieler/102030

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video thread' content info for years gone by, recent times, Season Reviews, Cup Final victories - Domestic, European, and World...

www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576 & www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.0

« Last Edit: November 7, 2022, 04:35:16 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
Quasimodo was brilliant, him Barnes & Aldridge were a dream 3. Selling Aldo & Him was a major mistake.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
Quasimodo was brilliant, him Barnes & Aldridge were a dream 3. Selling Aldo & Him was a major mistake.
Was just going to comment the same.
Beardsley, Barnes and Aldridge were as a good a front 3 as any.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
What a player. Forgotten a little as his time coincided with Barnes, who was the best player in the league 87-91. He was a British record transfer in 87, and he’d be the same now. Wasn’t the quickest or biggest, but he had the lot, and determination in spades. If he was before your time, then imagine Messi at 90% in a red shirt*

* views are my own and may be subject to nostalgia and bias

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
Absolutely loved Beardsley as a player and he was massively underrated. Not only was he a maestro with the ball, but one of my main memories of him is his workrate off it. He was gegenpressing long before it became popular, and he played like someone stole his football off him down the park. Always harrying opposition players, winning the ball back, then starting another attack. Skill, guile, strong in the tackle, goals, bags of energy, and running constantly for 90 minutes - he could play in multiple positions and was always a pain in the arse for any opposition. He was also a real pro in the James Milner mould.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 07:50:34 am by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
One of my absolute favourite players. keyop sums it up pretty well.

Loved watching him play and was one of my go-tos to be when we played in the park (if the King was 'taken' that is) ;D
@Yvanicuzz

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
Imagine Beardsley started his career at Vancouver Whitecaps!   LOL

Great player!
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
One of my favourite memories growing up was the 4-0 at Anfield against United, Beardsley got a hattrick must have been 90/91 ish.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
One of my favourite memories growing up was the 4-0 at Anfield against United, Beardsley got a hattrick must have been 90/91 ish.
it was. Very early in season.

Full time whistle he should have got the match ball, but United keeper Les Sealey had possession and as whistle went, he just turned and ballooned it over the kop

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
I was at that game. It was great.  ;D

Beardsley was a brilliant player.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

My Gran (mam too) loved him,there were times he was untouchable & we should never have sold him.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan

I remember watching clips of it and wondering when we'd ever hammer them like that again :)

The pre-PL era doesn't get enough respect nor recognition.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 03:40:18 pm by MonsLibpool »

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Beardo was a great player!  As others have said, was a huge mistake when we sold him!