Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 219527 times)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #480 on: May 4, 2018, 02:54:16 pm »
The annual party in Linfield will be interesting as they love a good photo op, flute bands and all.

:wanker

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: May 4, 2018, 02:57:30 pm »
This is fucking nuts and an utterly bizarre decision.

For Rangers, they're trusting their development to someone with a year coaching teens under his belt.

For Stevie, he's going to a broke club in a one team league with players well below any standard he's ever played with.

None of it makes sense. I wish him well and hope he's a success, but this is a big step back for him if his aspiration is to manage us one day.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: May 4, 2018, 03:03:04 pm »
4 years is bonkers

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #483 on: May 4, 2018, 03:04:21 pm »
Congrats to gerrard. All the best. I am sure Gerrard will be the one to bring down Rodgers  8)

I hope we can loan rangers some of our impressive youngsters to help gerrard.

I think he will be an awesome manager for Rangers.

I hope we don’t. It’s a shite league and they would be better off playing in The English lower levels.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: May 4, 2018, 03:05:11 pm »
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #485 on: May 4, 2018, 03:05:22 pm »
He looks like a very happy lad right now so I'm chuffed for him. Hopefully he'll never manage one of our rivals (obviously not Everton/Mancs) but rather Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea/City, and as long as he's in Scotland I'll support him through and through.

Four years sounds very good too, hopefully he'll really get a chance to work with this and get a few million pounds from ticket revenue and investments to spend on useful Championship-tier players.
Linudden.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: May 4, 2018, 03:06:23 pm »
He looks like a very happy lad right now so I'm chuffed for him. Hopefully he'll never manage one of our rivals (obviously not Everton/Mancs) but rather Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea/City, and as long as he's in Scotland I'll support him through and through.

Four years sounds very good too, hopefully he'll really get a chance to work with this and get a few million pounds from ticket revenue and investments to spend on useful Championship-tier players.

Useful Championship players aren't cheap these days. Some of them are going for well over 10m now. He'll need to find hidden gems and whether he has any knowledge of the lower leagues is anybody's guess. I'd assume not.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #487 on: May 4, 2018, 03:08:56 pm »
Bit worried for Stevie G here, I can see why he went as it is an attractive job in the sense that, he can't really do much worse than they are at the moment and really, he probably won't be backed even if they told him he will be (they have zero moneis) sooooo I think he will get experience and learn a lot there but I don't see it being happy times, poisoned challice comes to mind!

Also 4 years!?!? That's made from him AND Rangers, why would you sign someone on 4 years with no experience, surely do 2 yrs max with performance based rewards and triggers?

The whole thing is weird, my Rangers mate is all giddy because of who it is but I reckon he should have worked his way up for longer just to learn more from Youth all the way to Senior team backroom stuff.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #488 on: May 4, 2018, 03:12:55 pm »
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #489 on: May 4, 2018, 03:15:04 pm »
Useful Championship players aren't cheap these days. Some of them are going for well over 10m now. He'll need to find hidden gems and whether he has any knowledge of the lower leagues is anybody's guess. I'd assume not.

Maybe he can get bosmans and offer decent sign-ons but is not allowed to spend transfer fees? Celtic got Dembélé through a bosman, didn't they?
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #490 on: May 4, 2018, 03:17:44 pm »
We do not.

More to the point, more than an hour has passed and the Rangers Wikipedia still hasn’t even been properly edited yet, so maybe it isn’t such a high-expectations passionate environment as all that.

British football pages are ran by a really authoritarian Wikipedia mod/Manc who deletes everything in sight, so wonder if anyone's not banned at this point?  :-X

Also, he takes charge at Ibrox only on June 1, and as an experienced Wikipedia editor, I'd say that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2018, 03:24:08 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: May 4, 2018, 03:26:25 pm »
Not sure it's the best move, but good luck to him and I hope he gets plenty of experience from the job!

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: May 4, 2018, 03:32:55 pm »
McAllister will assist Gerrard

Gerrard says the "excitement levels are high". He confirms that Gary McAllister will be his assistant at Ibrox.

The Rangers manager says McAllister "ticks the box" in terms of experience that he perhaps lacks.

McAllister is excited to join the Rangers backroom staff, Gerrard adds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/44002890
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: May 4, 2018, 03:38:17 pm »
If I was his agent I wouldn’t have advised it, but anyway as soon as the news broke it was obvious it was a done deal.

I’m gonna grab the popcorn and see how this pans out. As great a player as he was I’ve never really seen anything about his vision of how he wants football to be played. I’ve got more respect for Brendan in this regard and reckon Rodgers is the better manager.

Anyway, expect him to call a few favours and take a few of our players. I’m not sure Stevie’s (football) world is very big outside of Liverpool F.C..

Bet it pays more than coaching kids, wonder if he’ll knock the BT sports gig off now too?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: May 4, 2018, 03:38:22 pm »
What's this about  Martin Skrtel going there as a coach?  ;D

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: May 4, 2018, 03:40:03 pm »
Good luck to him, brave move.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: May 4, 2018, 03:45:58 pm »
I'm not sure about loaning players to to another club just because they're managed by someone who played a few games for us.

Liverpool FC doesn't owe Steven Gerrard anything. The club could have easily hired a better U18 coach but decided to do Gerrard a favour by giving him a job. I've no doubt he'll go there hoping to prove the doubters wrong, but there are some things that he will have to deal with that he has absolutely no control over.

He's still relatively young, but there are plenty of managers and coaches around that are younger and better than he is. He may feel this is a way to fast track himself into a big job, overtaking managers the same age or younger than himself, trading off his name rather than his achievements like so many ex-footballers.

Take Pep Lijnders as an example. He's two years younger than Gerrard and a million miles ahead of him in his managerial development. If you're going to bet on which one of the two would take over Liverpool in 20 years time when Jürgen finally hangs up his managerial boots, you certainly wouldn't be betting on Gerrard.

If it all goes tits up and he gets fucked over by Rangers, I'm sure some lower league team will give him a job based on his name. At least BT sports would probably take him back. So at least he has that to fall back on.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: May 4, 2018, 03:51:51 pm »
Madness. Absolute madness.
Good luck Steven.
I hope you don’t need it and you really are a level to manage a club that is well known and will be in the limelight due to your appointment.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: May 4, 2018, 03:55:30 pm »
Nice words from Rafa in show of support.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: May 4, 2018, 04:15:28 pm »
This just feels like Gerrard hopping on the British managerial roundabout, can see him following in the footsteps of Pardew et al in a few years.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2018, 04:18:50 pm by Schmidt »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: May 4, 2018, 04:19:42 pm »
This just feels like Gerrard hopping on the British managerial roundabout, can see him following in the footsteps of Pardew et al in a few years.

Never happen,if he doesn't make the grade then he will walk away imo.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: May 4, 2018, 04:24:57 pm »
Never happen,if he doesn't make the grade then he will walk away imo.

Walk away from potentially millions in wages/payoffs and a way to stay in football?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: May 4, 2018, 04:26:56 pm »
Walk away from potentially millions in wages/payoffs and a way to stay in football?

He's already got millions. LMAO! Any player who's retired in the last decade or so doesn't need to work another day in their life.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: May 4, 2018, 04:27:36 pm »

Do you think that it is all about the money ?  He can walk away and go back to TV and still earn millions.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #504 on: May 4, 2018, 04:28:30 pm »
Best of luck Stevie. Just wished he'd stayed on a few years more with the 18s/23s
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline MattyBoy21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #505 on: May 4, 2018, 04:29:04 pm »
He's a very brave man.  I'm really surprised about this and thought if he was so eager to move into management now that he would have waited until the summer to see what other vacancies opened up.

Wish him all the best though of course. Think he may need it.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #506 on: May 4, 2018, 04:31:30 pm »
He's a very brave man. 

That's one way of putting it.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: May 4, 2018, 04:39:26 pm »
He's already got millions. LMAO! Any player who's retired in the last decade or so doesn't need to work another day in their life.

There's a big difference between needing more and wanting more. Plus like I said management is a way for him to stay in football, I doubt he'd throw that away if he isn't managing a top team in a few years time.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #508 on: May 4, 2018, 04:42:10 pm »
Agree with this. The growing wish for Gerrard to become Liverpool manager is not good. He may or may not be top manager material, but wanting him to be our manager because of his legend status is daft.

Definitely

This is my problem with the whole situation:

What he means is that if you're an ex-England international, and you want a go at the Premier League, nobody is hiring you straight out of retirement. That's the mentality with British ex-pro's, by and large, and it's all wrong.

It's one of the reasons English coaches fare so poorly - scant regard for the coach education process. Everyone has to start somewhere, but there always seems to be a rush to get to the top jobs as quickly as possible from this demographic, where it would probably serve them better as coaches to hang back a few years and learn the tricks of the trade.

It definitely seems to be an English thing. Same with the completely English idea that inspirational captains should automatically become great managers: i.e. Keane, Pearce, Robson, Adams, Ince

I've always found interesting the number of Bundesliga coaches with university degrees or diplomas (usually in sports science). There seems to be of an emphasis there on having a grasp of theoretical knowledge as well as practical insight. Klopp, Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Tedesco etc. come to mind.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #509 on: May 4, 2018, 04:42:31 pm »
All the best Steven.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: May 4, 2018, 04:45:57 pm »
Seems like a poor job to take on but it's football, weird and wonderful things can happen, let's see.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #511 on: May 4, 2018, 04:47:56 pm »
What's this about  Martin Skrtel going there as a coach?  ;D

Surely as a player/coach then? Too young to retire, honestly.

Not heard anything about him leaving Turkey though?
Linudden.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: May 4, 2018, 04:47:57 pm »
All the best. Could have stayed in a relative comfort zone but ventured into the lions den...Like many, I'll support whatever he does.

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #513 on: May 4, 2018, 04:52:13 pm »
4 years is bonkers

SEVCO won’t last that long
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: May 4, 2018, 04:55:26 pm »
Will be interested to see how he does, good luck to him!

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #515 on: May 4, 2018, 04:56:04 pm »
He's going to end up starting CM for them next season once he's seen their squad.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: May 4, 2018, 05:07:08 pm »
He's going to end up starting CM for them next season once he's seen their squad.

Aye, I just about recognise  5 - 6 players, none of them close to being decent, Kenny Miller is still on the list at age 38.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: May 4, 2018, 05:17:49 pm »
Michael Beale is off with him ? Astute.

As someone who only visits Glasgow for its kickass music scene and has no connection to Celtic or Rangers, I wish Stevie all the best and would be rooting for him to succeed. Its a risky move but I do not believe he would have taken the job impulsively. Reports were that he was waiting on certain conditions to be met before giving a green light, seems they have been met with his standards.

Looks weird with a blue scarf though.  :D

Offline zuchum

• Anny Roader
  • Not that kind of poster
    • Twitter
« Reply #518 on: May 4, 2018, 05:19:42 pm »
Think it's too soon. Managing an U-18's side is quite different to the first team. Wonder if he'll have a DoF figure there.

Good luck to him anyhow. Obviously we'd love to have him as Liverpool manager one day, so these experiences are going to be important.

Would we? I would only want the best manager available for the job at any given time. There is literally nothing to suggest that Gerrard will be that person, as of right now.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: May 4, 2018, 05:23:49 pm »
PoP how long have you been waiting over the phone to get a call?  ;D