Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 441802 times)

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« on: June 7, 2019, 11:46:30 am »
The previous wrestling thread was deleted because the mods were getting too many report notices so let's keep it civil and not work ourselves into a shoot, brothers.

« Last Edit: June 7, 2019, 11:53:31 am by 24/7 »
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #1 on: June 7, 2019, 11:54:25 am »
Starred thread. Keep it civil or we'll lock, delete and ban. It's a footie site and youse fans of muscle-bound actors in spandex getting yer knickers in a twist set our teeth on edge.

Oh and tubby, you're welcome mate :wave

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: June 7, 2019, 11:59:17 am »
Ta.  Here's a belt in your honour.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 7, 2019, 12:08:37 pm »
Haha you fuckin loon ;D

Of course, the downside is that every time I hit "New replies" I'm gonna see a bleedin wrestling thread in the list  :no :lickin

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 7, 2019, 12:56:22 pm »
Is anyone watching Supershow today? II understand the ethics and morality around it so I guess it wont be a huge number. I probably would have tuned in tbf but I cancelled my subscription to the network a fortnight ago thinking I'll still have access to this but my access ended yesterday!
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5 on: June 7, 2019, 12:59:11 pm »
Is anyone watching Supershow today? II understand the ethics and morality around it so I guess it wont be a huge number. I probably would have tuned in tbf but I cancelled my subscription to the network a fortnight ago thinking I'll still have access to this but my access ended yesterday!

a WWE ppv on when I'm home in an evening and not doing anything... yet I won't be watching. That's how much I have lost my interest at the moment. Don't even know who's fighting or why (but then, I'm not sure anyone has reasons for their matches at the minute)
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

• Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #6 on: June 7, 2019, 01:07:34 pm »
The entire card is completely forgettable - I just want to see Taker/Goldberg.

Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7 on: June 7, 2019, 01:14:41 pm »
Will do my usual WWE PPV routine of not watching it and then reading up on it after to see if anything nutty happened.   I only ever really watch Takeovers now, the rest of the product is going downhill so quickly.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: June 7, 2019, 02:21:36 pm »
Will do my usual WWE PPV routine of not watching it and then reading up on it after to see if anything nutty happened.   I only ever really watch Takeovers now, the rest of the product is going downhill so quickly.

I haven't watched anything since Baron Corbin was announced to facing Angle in his retirement match.  Cancelled my Network, didn't even watch Mania. It's just podcast catch-ups for me now (it doesn't sound like I'm missing anything).

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: June 7, 2019, 03:14:12 pm »
The previous wrestling thread was deleted because the mods were getting too many report notices so let's keep it civil and not work ourselves into a shoot, brothers.

:o Should I ask?

As for the rest, have to concur about WWE. I've enjoyed NXT a lot more in the last year or two but is there anyone still worth watching in there? Waiting to see if AEW is any good - I'm much more in favour of the Cody/Jericho 'serious' booking side than the Young Bucks gimmicky stuff.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10 on: June 7, 2019, 03:19:37 pm »
I'm not too bothered about the gimmicky stuff, providing it's away from the big matches and confined to stuff like the battle royales.  I'd never seen Orange Cassidy before but did pop for his brief cameo at DoN.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DcQxmGq1LYA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DcQxmGq1LYA</a>

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 7, 2019, 03:42:53 pm »
Wait, who was scrapping in the last thread? Let me take a wild guess does his username begin with C and end with S?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2019, 04:06:07 pm »
Wait, who was scrapping in the last thread? Let me take a wild guess does his username begin with C and end with S?
This is the sort of thing that grinds our gears. Does it fucking matter? Really? Stay on topic or, well, yer know...

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 7, 2019, 04:08:16 pm »
This is the sort of thing that grinds our gears. Does it fucking matter? Really? Stay on topic or, well, yer know...

It's a joke. I don't go in this thread usually anyway so yer know...

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #14 on: June 7, 2019, 05:24:17 pm »
Haha I remember the whining about how that old thread was in Media and Arts and not General Sports :D Man, I'm getting old

Anyway, zero interest in Triple H vs Orton for the millionth time. Taker vs Goldberg should be interesting in a grim sort of way at least. That's probably the only one I'll watch. The 50-man rumble... I'll read up and see if there were any interesting surprises and then watch it
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 7, 2019, 05:48:57 pm »
Turki Al-Sheikh who is the head of Saudi Entertainment ministry and the guy who is behind their deal with WWE, wants Hogan to win the 50 man Battle Royal tonight.

Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 7, 2019, 07:09:27 pm »
DON did 98k buys (slight asterisk as it's Meltzer reporting the number) which is an incredible number. To my knowledge, that's better than any show TNA ever did (they did 60k for Angle/Joe I) and is about half a WWE PPV from the dying days before the network started. Bearing in mind PPV is basically dead as a concept apart from big UFC/Boxing fights, that's a fantastic achievement and almost double what All In did (55k, also a very good number).

From the random bumfuck websites I was reading, it sounds like they want to do "fewer" PPVs, whether that be 12,8 or 6. Almost doubling your buys with a gap between events is certainly a strong argument for less is more.

Few caveats of course: one-off numbers aren't a strong indicator of success of course, and 2/3 came from the US (which puts it right in line with that TNA event) but it's a great start.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

• Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #17 on: June 7, 2019, 09:05:54 pm »
DON did 98k buys (slight asterisk as it's Meltzer reporting the number) which is an incredible number. To my knowledge, that's better than any show TNA ever did (they did 60k for Angle/Joe I) and is about half a WWE PPV from the dying days before the network started. Bearing in mind PPV is basically dead as a concept apart from big UFC/Boxing fights, that's a fantastic achievement and almost double what All In did (55k, also a very good number).

From the random bumfuck websites I was reading, it sounds like they want to do "fewer" PPVs, whether that be 12,8 or 6. Almost doubling your buys with a gap between events is certainly a strong argument for less is more.

Few caveats of course: one-off numbers aren't a strong indicator of success of course, and 2/3 came from the US (which puts it right in line with that TNA event) but it's a great start.

Good idea tbf. Once WWE went to 12 ppvs a year it did start the dilution of the product.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 7, 2019, 09:37:14 pm »
Good idea tbf. Once WWE went to 12 ppvs a year it did start the dilution of the product.

IMO 12 was perfect, it was 14+ that it got shit (2006ish?).

Now with the brand split and the Network I think they should do 16+ and have split shows, get the midcard acts regular PPV time. But they haven't.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #19 on: June 7, 2019, 10:58:28 pm »
Jesus fuck I just saw some clips of the jackhammer and tombstone from the Taker vs Goldberg 5* classic.  Hope the pay-off was worth it, chaps.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 7, 2019, 11:19:32 pm »
It actually started out quite well. The blood added to the match. Undertaker dropped Goldberg on his head with the first tombstone and then it went off the rails fast. Worst closing stretch to a match I can remember.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #21 on: June 7, 2019, 11:32:06 pm »
I was gutted the thread got deleted, glad to welcome you all back. The WM30 comments for Brock breaking the streak are legendary and now gone forever :'(

Did every Post get deleted or are they hidden? I'm sure my average was about 2.5 a day and now its down to 1, shows where my attention lied ;D

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #22 on: June 8, 2019, 12:56:55 am »
Taker Goldberg finish was sloppy and awful. It's putlre botchamania

Botched the jackhammer, the reverse tombstone and a sloppy chokeslam

Clip I saw clipped the bad tombstone. Dear me

Pack it in guys your too old
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #23 on: June 8, 2019, 01:03:09 am »
No one else can draw which is why the likes of Undertaker, Goldberg and last year HBK were brought back for these specific shows.

If they had wrestlers who can draw then the need for these guys wouldn't be there.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 8, 2019, 07:03:39 am »
We all know Goldberg is off now as this was probably his last match but surely Taker needs to pack it in now too. He's been doing this for almost 30 years now, and the last Wrestlemania was the first one he missed in about 18 years. Bet the Saudis will call him back again next year though.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 8, 2019, 09:18:52 am »
Spotted an LFC shirt front row

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #26 on: June 9, 2019, 10:30:35 am »
So far at the Dominion show, Moxley, Shingo Takagi, and the returning KENTA (Hideo Itami in WWE) have all turned up and announced themselves for the G1 Climax 2019. Hopefully Ospreay is next.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #27 on: June 9, 2019, 02:52:33 pm »
RIP Ibushi's neck.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #28 on: June 9, 2019, 11:48:36 pm »
RIP Ibushi's neck.

One of the worst bumps I've ever seen and I only saw a GIF of it earlier on on Twitter. Is he OK today? His neck is surely broken, no?
« Last Edit: June 9, 2019, 11:58:27 pm by a little break »

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 12:44:21 am »
One of the worst bumps I've ever seen and I only saw a GIF of it earlier on on Twitter. Is he OK today? His neck is surely broken, no?

He finished the match and took another one (RVD DDT bump) so either his neck was fine or it's so fucked it doesn't matter.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 01:12:15 am »
He finished the match and took another one (RVD DDT bump) so either his neck was fine or it's so fucked it doesn't matter.

Ha considering the amount of times he's landed on his neck it's definitely the latter.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 08:05:13 am »
Holy shit, only just seen the clips from the Taker/Goldberg match. How neither one got seriously injured I'm not sure.

Please, just call it a day now.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 08:59:54 am »
I cannot believe Taker's still wrestling in 2019. Just take that well-earned retirement. Not like he needs the money

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2019, 12:42:03 pm »
Surely Mark Calloway must be worth a good few million dollars - he doesn't need the money and plus, he can spend the next 20 years going to comic-cons and signings and make thousands off autographs and photo ops whilst being put up in the best hotels and putting absolutely no strain on his body.

It just goes to show how desperate WWE are that they have to wheel these 50 plus year olds out again and again. There was a time when they mocked WCW for pushing Hogan and Savage who were in their forties at the time.
FAME makes a man take things over

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2019, 01:11:52 pm »
I think their hands are tied somewhat with the Saudis requesting certain wrestlers from yesteryear.  Wonder what the pay-offs have been for the old guys to lace up and wrestle again, Michaels came out of retirement for a one-off match for what I assume was insane money last year.

Having said that, they can always say no.  Don't think anyone is going to force Taker to wrestle over there.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2019, 01:46:43 pm »
I think their hands are tied somewhat with the Saudis requesting certain wrestlers from yesteryear.  Wonder what the pay-offs have been for the old guys to lace up and wrestle again, Michaels came out of retirement for a one-off match for what I assume was insane money last year.

Having said that, they can always say no.  Don't think anyone is going to force Taker to wrestle over there.

From what I've heard, Undertaker was paid 2 million dollars for that match against Goldberg.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2019, 04:01:07 pm »
From what I've heard, Undertaker was paid 2 million dollars for that match against Goldberg.

Wow, thats obscene. Not bad for 15mins work.
Football is a lie

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2019, 05:07:02 pm »
It could have almost caused him his life.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2019, 06:19:16 pm »

It was about 10 after the entrances and introductions, terrible choke slam that finished the match. Like one he'd deliver to the Big Show or somebody really heavy.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2019, 07:27:57 pm »
Undertaker would probably do this well into his 60's if it meant he got paid 2-3 million for a match every year. Sad state of affairs for a man who said he would stop doing this once he no longer has it.