Author Topic: Winning Title #19*  (Read 1304349 times)

Online Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #760 on: November 11, 2019, 12:20:30 am »
I don’t remember Pompey and Charlton being that good, although both liked to grab a result against us. But we weren’t brilliant towards the end of the Houllier regime.

Probably equivalent to Bournemouth or Burnley now, solid midtable teams who might spring the odd surprise.

I couldn’t care less about going unbeaten really, if we won the league losing three or four games, who’d even care? Long, long way to go of course. We won all our fixtures at the start of the 90/91 season and still finished second in the end.

We’ve got off to a good start is all. Just keep on taking it a game at time and try our best to keep the rest at arms length. Those draws against Leicester & West Ham last season, if we’d won those games I reckon City might’ve lost heart and concentrated solely on the CL. Don’t give the rest any hope.

(Easier said than done of course)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #761 on: November 11, 2019, 12:23:30 am »
Our results against the other sides currently in the top 6 reads WWWWW

Which is even better of course. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #762 on: November 11, 2019, 12:27:23 am »
I don’t remember Pompey and Charlton being that good, although both liked to grab a result against us. But we weren’t brilliant towards the end of the Houllier regime.

Probably equivalent to Bournemouth or Burnley now, solid midtable teams who might spring the odd surprise.

I couldn’t care less about going unbeaten really, if we won the league losing three or four games, who’d even care? Long, long way to go of course. We won all our fixtures at the start of the 90/91 season and still finished second in the end.

We’ve got off to a good start is all. Just keep on taking it a game at time and try our best to keep the rest at arms length. Those draws against Leicester & West Ham last season, if we’d won those games I reckon City might’ve lost heart and concentrated solely on the CL. Don’t give the rest any hope.

(Easier said than done of course)

cheers for answering my question, really appreciated! :)

As for your "unbeaten" comment... well, yes. Winning the title, however it's achieved, surpasses any other consideration for me. I'd just consider the unbeaten thing the icing on the cake, the cherry on top. Not only we'd overtake the PL's most expensive team and one of their most dominant *ever*, but also not losing any match? Simply glorious ;D

But still, I'd take 19 even if that meant we end up losing a couple of matches in a row ;)

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #763 on: November 11, 2019, 12:34:07 am »
You can be 100% sure that city will sign a centre back in January and will likely go on a crazy winning run. The only thing is they might have too much to make up by the time January comes around. They have some really tough games coming up leading up to Christmas. Just hope teams have the balls to have a go at their defence until then. That’s a defence that’s worth 100s of millions as well. Just bad recruitment from them

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #764 on: November 11, 2019, 12:53:09 am »
We won 12 of our first 13 in 90/91 and drew the other one and that was a team that had won everything.

Gotta take into account that team was coming to the end of its reign (90 side wasnt as devastating as the 88 one) and as we all know Kenny was going through an unbelievably hard time and I guess it started to show once Arsenal came at us.

We are a bit more stable and hungry at this point (I hope). What would really help is beating Palace and Napoli. Consolidating the gap and confirming our CL place would ease the pressure on the final group game allowing us to rotate properly and prepare for the big tests to come.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #765 on: November 11, 2019, 01:45:07 am »
You can be 100% sure that city will sign a centre back in January and will likely go on a crazy winning run. The only thing is they might have too much to make up by the time January comes around. They have some really tough games coming up leading up to Christmas. Just hope teams have the balls to have a go at their defence until then. That’s a defence that’s worth 100s of millions as well. Just bad recruitment from them

You definitely can’t be 100% sure of that.

Will they sign a centre back as Laporte will be due back around then? Even if they do, going on a crazy winning run is not exactly guaranteed.

Offline Mozology

• Legacy Fan
  • FSG, spend some fucking money, miserable bastards
« Reply #766 on: November 11, 2019, 02:50:05 am »
How many points do we think the winners will need.

I'm saying 93.

City's ridiculously high points totals these last two years probably clouding my judgment, wouldn't put it past the c*nts to go on some 15 game winning streak at some stage.

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
« Reply #767 on: November 11, 2019, 03:20:46 am »
Found this on Reddit. If you look at City's column and in particular where they have two white columns together you can see how they have had very few matches against any top seven teams.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: November 11, 2019, 03:23:17 am »
Funny that the Mancs have 2 wins and a draw against the top three.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #769 on: November 11, 2019, 04:45:18 am »
Funny that the Mancs have 2 wins and a draw against the top three.

Thanks to them for any assistance against the others. As long as we spank them at Anfield.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: November 11, 2019, 04:57:15 am »
We're in a great position now, but I'm not getting carried away yet. We've got a very tricky set of fixtures coming up, starting with away at Palace. And I'll be annoyed if we undo our good work from yesterday and slip up there. Just got to take one game at a time and hope we steer clear of any serious injuries.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: November 11, 2019, 05:04:29 am »
Damn international break.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #772 on: November 11, 2019, 06:25:28 am »
Just for fun, I was checking out the results from Arsenal's "Invincibles" season.

By the time they finished playing their 12th PL game of the season they had 3 draws:

• Arsenal 1 - Portsmouth 1 (game 5)
  • Man Utd 0 - Arsenal 0 (game 6)
  • Charlton Athletic 1 - Arsenal 1 (game 10)

They had beaten Everton, Boro, Villa, Man City pre-Abu Dhabi buyout, Newcastle, us (a game that included a Hyypiä own goal, sadly), Chelsea, Leeds and Spurs.

TBF this was shortly before I started following LFC and watching the League every week so I ask out of actual curiosity: were Portsmouth and Charlton decent back then, or those draws were more like freak results?

Anyway, enough about L'Arse. Different decade, different context in the League. I just posted this because I really fucking hope we end up going unbeaten - and yes, I know how unlikely that'd be. I'm not getting carried away yet. We came so close last year and... well, incredibly fine margins.

Curiously enough, we also had 3 draws in 12 matches last season...

• Chelsea 1 - Liverpool 1 (game 7, with that glorious Sturridge last-minute equalizer)
  • Liverpool 0 - Man City 0 (game 8, with Mahrez missing his penalty)
  • Arsenal 1 - Liverpool 1 (game 11)

which shows we've already improved on 2 of those fixtures (beating both Chelsea and ManCity).

:scarf :scarf :scarf

The Portsmouth game was talked about a fair bit (probably too much in my opinion), because Pires dived to win a penalty for their equaliser. The United game was hilarious as that was the one when Van Nistelrooy missed a late penalty and Keown did his flying monkey impression.

At this stage no one was talking them going the season unbeaten though, the Portsmouth game was used as a bit of a stick to beat them with but no one can go a season unbeaten without getting some luck/favourable decisions here or there.

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #773 on: November 11, 2019, 08:06:02 am »
Right now, I am welcoming these breaks. I'm finding the season exhilarating but also pretty stressful.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: November 11, 2019, 08:07:33 am »
I think we'll win the league now this team is different from any Liverpool team I can remember in terms of quality and mental fortitude. The highest compliment I can give is that when they take to the pitch you just expect them to win regardless of the opponent.

I wouldn't be shocked if we only lost once all season again. City (A) is the only game where I'd probably be expecting the opposition to win.

We're already 6 points ahead of last year in a direct fixture to fixture comparison turning

Chelsea (A)
Leicester (H)
City (H)

From draws into wins.

At this point only an injury crisis would stop us I think. We can still improve a lot by getting more defensively sound and Salah hitting top form which he looked like he was getting there in the last game. We've had a much tougher start than City as well and without Laporte I think they'll drop some more points before Christmas.

But football is a cruel mistress so I'm not willing to bet my life savings on it yet. I'm wondering when others would start to believe if they don't already? Say if we won the rest of our games up until the club world cup and the chasing pack dropped some points so we had a 10+ point lead would people believe then or would that still be too early?

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: November 11, 2019, 08:22:50 am »
How many points do we think the winners will need.

I'm saying 93.

City's ridiculously high points totals these last two years probably clouding my judgment, wouldn't put it past the c*nts to go on some 15 game winning streak at some stage.

I think you have to pretty much expect them to go on a run, the question is at what point does that come and how far away are we? They have a hard run of fixtures coming up compared to us. If they make it through their next 6 without dropping points I will be shocked to be honest. I dont see us dropping many points in our next 6. I would say a minimum of 14pts gained and realistically think we will get 16 pts.

I think 94 will be needed to win the league this year. If we can get 16 points from our next 6 games we would have 50 points after 18 games and would only need 44 points from 20 games which is a record of 14-2-4. Which is pretty easy on paper

These next 6 games are huge for us;

Palace (A)
Brighton
Everton
Bournemouth (A)
Watford
Leicester City (A)

Compared to City (They play one extra because West Ham is postponed)

Chelsea
Newcastle (A)
Burnley (A)
Man United
Arsenal (A)
Leicester City
Wolves (A)

Way harder next set compared to us but we do have a fixture pile up with Carabao, Champions League and Club World Cup.

Beating Napoli at Home would be massively helpful to us as it means we win our group and can play the kiddos against Redbull Salzburg and even fully rest the core players and not make them travel.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:25:20 am by CanuckYNWA »

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: November 11, 2019, 08:30:42 am »
Found this on Reddit. If you look at City's column and in particular where they have two white columns together you can see how they have had very few matches against any top seven teams.

Other than Newcastle their next 8 games are all against teams in the top 10.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #777 on: November 11, 2019, 09:18:41 am »
Paraphrasing but what Hendo said immediately after the match was music to my ears

"Our first mistake would be to think that we have done it now"

Spot on Hendo. Do not let up....Keep this gap as big as possible for as long as possible and the rest will lose heart
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #778 on: November 11, 2019, 09:26:01 am »

Last one for a while and it looks a blessing for Salah's ankle and getting Matip and Shaqiri back. Hopefully, Southgate continues not to use TAA but some minutes for Gomez and OX would be handy.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #779 on: November 11, 2019, 09:26:30 am »
I think we'll win the league now this team is different from any Liverpool team I can remember in terms of quality and mental fortitude. The highest compliment I can give is that when they take to the pitch you just expect them to win regardless of the opponent.

I wouldn't be shocked if we only lost once all season again. City (A) is the only game where I'd probably be expecting the opposition to win.

We're already 6 points ahead of last year in a direct fixture to fixture comparison turning

Chelsea (A)
Leicester (H)
City (H)

From draws into wins.

At this point only an injury crisis would stop us I think. We can still improve a lot by getting more defensively sound and Salah hitting top form which he looked like he was getting there in the last game. We've had a much tougher start than City as well and without Laporte I think they'll drop some more points before Christmas.

But football is a cruel mistress so I'm not willing to bet my life savings on it yet. I'm wondering when others would start to believe if they don't already? Say if we won the rest of our games up until the club world cup and the chasing pack dropped some points so we had a 10+ point lead would people believe then or would that still be too early?

We've actually had an injury crisis.  The best goalkeeper in the world was out for 10 games (what an inspired signing Adrian turned out to be).  We've also had a centre-back out who would walk into any other side in the PL (especially City).  We have two midfielders recovering from long-term injuries and are only now coming back to full fitness. We had a world class forward injured by a nasty foul, and he still isn't 100% (we missed him for the only game where we've dropped points this season).

Of course, there are some players whose absence would be felt more than others, and I think everyone agrees that the full-backs and Virgil are vital, and there are others who we'd rather not have out of the side for any extended period.  But I think we have decent strength in depth now, and it makes us more resilient to injuries.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: November 11, 2019, 09:41:34 am »
As all the players who have won the league with us will tell you, one game at a time, keep racking up the points and see where you are at the end.

Having said that, so long as we are fine with injuries to key players, I really cannot see why we won't crack 100pts though.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: November 11, 2019, 09:58:34 am »
Thing about their tough fixtures coming up is that they're usually pretty faultless against these teams. Arsenal never take anything off them, and neither do United. They lost at Stamford Bridge last season but then spanked them for six later in the season.

The games they've lost have generally been unexpected until yesterday; wolves and palace at home, Newcastle, Norwich away. It's nowhere near done because we know they can string 12 or 13 wins together and all it takes is a couple of draws from us over that period and it's tight again especially as they'll have played an extra game or two in the league due to our club world cup commitments?

It's not done but it is one hell of an advantage. If we keep playing like we are then they will need to be pretty much faultless for the rest of the season. We've got a huge challenge coming up with our fixture list but if we get to the middle of January still 9 clear of them then we have an incredible chance.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: November 11, 2019, 10:05:13 am »
We've actually had an injury crisis.  The best goalkeeper in the world was out for 10 games (what an inspired signing Adrian turned out to be).  We've also had a centre-back out who would walk into any other side in the PL (especially City).  We have two midfielders recovering from long-term injuries and are only now coming back to full fitness. We had a world class forward injured by a nasty foul, and he still isn't 100% (we missed him for the only game where we've dropped points this season).

Of course, there are some players whose absence would be felt more than others, and I think everyone agrees that the full-backs and Virgil are vital, and there are others who we'd rather not have out of the side for any extended period.  But I think we have decent strength in depth now, and it makes us more resilient to injuries.

Shaqiri too, who although not as good as Sane, basically plays the same role in our squad. Sane is not a first choice player for Pep.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #783 on: November 11, 2019, 10:14:46 am »
Other than Newcastle their next 8 games are all against teams in the top 10.

And we’ve played the rest of the top 7 there.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #784 on: November 11, 2019, 10:20:33 am »
I think them playing an extra game and cutting the deficit will help keep a lid on things from our perspective. I remember last season people threw the "10 points ahead" crap even though we were probably 10pts ahead for less than 24 hours!

This time, if the gap stays around 6 it means we won't get too complacent esp when we play the lesser teams but we will have that game in hand when we need it.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: November 11, 2019, 10:29:40 am »
Looking good but we all know they can go on a mammoth run of wins

Think I wrote in here yesterday that I can’t see Chelsea or Leicester winning. They’ll both drop too many points
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: November 11, 2019, 10:40:33 am »
Thing about their tough fixtures coming up is that they're usually pretty faultless against these teams. Arsenal never take anything off them, and neither do United. They lost at Stamford Bridge last season but then spanked them for six later in the season.

The games they've lost have generally been unexpected until yesterday; wolves and palace at home, Newcastle, Norwich away. It's nowhere near done because we know they can string 12 or 13 wins together and all it takes is a couple of draws from us over that period and it's tight again especially as they'll have played an extra game or two in the league due to our club world cup commitments?

It's not done but it is one hell of an advantage. If we keep playing like we are then they will need to be pretty much faultless for the rest of the season. We've got a huge challenge coming up with our fixture list but if we get to the middle of January still 9 clear of them then we have an incredible chance.

City are capable of going unbeaten until the end of the season and yes normally City might beat Utd, Arsenal etc but each season is different.

Unlike last season Utd have to think about themselves rather than Liverpool. They're miles away from top 4

Chelsea have a young and hungry team

Burnley and Newcastle away is never easy.

Leicester are a team you don't want to play any time soon.

Wolves are dangerous.

One of the key factors is City's defence as currently teams will create chances against them. The defence is as weak as it's ever been. Vardy will be licking his lips to play City.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:53:14 am by Fordy »

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: November 11, 2019, 10:45:32 am »
Just looking at our fixtures. I think our crucial period is the tough period after Christmas when we come back from the Club World cup.

We really have to be taking close to maximum points from the next five:-

These next 6 games are huge for us;

Palace (A)
Brighton
Everton
Bournemouth (A)
Watford

Our run after the club world cup is very difficult and comes in the what is normally our worst time of year.

Leicester (A)
Wolves
Sheff Utd
Spurs (A)
Man Utd
Wolves (A)

I think that run will really determine where we are come the end of the season. We may have West Ham away thrown in there too.

After this we don't really have a difficult run of games until the last 3. I really don't want it to be close with Arsenal away and Chelsea at home in the last 3 games.

Anyway lets win at Palace and go from there. If we win that then we will be 11 points clear of Chelsea and 12 points ahead of City before they play each other. There will be massive pressure on them.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: November 11, 2019, 11:14:52 am »
I’d still rather a Chelsea win I think. The more points City drop (and sooner), the better.
Totally agree. Their maximum is now 103, which should be our target until they hopefully drop some more points.

At least we now know that in the head to head v City the worst outcome is that it will be neutral. Whereas last season arguably the head to heads decided it in their favour.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #789 on: November 11, 2019, 11:23:08 am »
Totally agree. Their maximum is now 103, which should be our target until they hopefully drop some more points.

At least we now know that in the head to head v City the worst outcome is that it will be neutral. Whereas last season arguably the head to heads decided it in their favour.

Mad that. They’d have to win 24, draw one and lose one to match last season’s points tally from here.

They know they can’t afford to put a foot wrong. We’re actually 6 points up in corresponding fixtures from last year too although that said, given we won so many it’s clearly more likely that we’ll drop points in games we won last season than vice versa. Still, it’s looking likely a lower tota will be needed to win the league this year. We should still aim for around 95 but depending how things we go I think anywhere north of 90 is likely to be enough.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:25:19 am by BIG DICK NICK »

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #790 on: November 11, 2019, 11:26:49 am »
All this talk about being top of the league and reaching some fabled 103 points.

What a bunch of rubbish.

We are only three wins away from being mathematically safe from relegation.

Historically speaking of course.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
« Reply #791 on: November 11, 2019, 11:38:12 am »
All this talk about being top of the league and reaching some fabled 103 points.

What a bunch of rubbish.

We are only three wins away from being mathematically safe from relegation.

Historically speaking of course.

:missus

At the moment we need another 53 points to be safe from relegation (Watford can still get to 86.…)!
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #792 on: November 11, 2019, 11:44:41 am »
There's no doubt about it, winning the CL gave our squad that hunger and that maturity to win trophies and to know that yes, we are good enough to do that and we are an elite group of players.

The experience of City beating us to the title last season also will have been something that helps our squad this season, not getting carried away, not letting standards drop, not resting on their laurels.

And as we've seen in various leagues on many occasions - very very often a side who finishes second go on to win the title the following season. In other years we've finished second and fallen away the next season, but this manager and this set of players are different and the mentality is different.

This squad WANT the PL title, they want it more than any other squad want it, and unlike in previous years, they have the quality to do it.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: November 11, 2019, 11:48:29 am »
A huge win yesterday and we're in a fantastic position.

We're a brilliant side, with an elite attitude, fortitude, conditioning and quality. We've a brilliant, level headed, astute, charismatic Manager. We're as complete a side as I've ever seen. Maybe not as spectacularly fluid and technically gifted as the brilliant City, Barcelona and Spanish teams of the last 15 years, but more complete I think. Just an elite unit of incredibly motivated, fit and talented players who love playing with and for each other.

Fucking love them.

That said, we've a huge distance to go, and are about to enter the trickiest part of the season. Between the 23rd November and 2nd January we play, in all likelihood 16 games. I'm not counting the Villa quarter final because as far as I see the first team squad will not be involved. It's now essentially an U23 fixture, and even some of them will probably be with us in Qatar. This is a 5 and a half week period. In that time the most rest we'll have that I can see is four days. To put it in perspective, we're playing the equivalent of 42% of a Premier League season in a month and half. Fortunately, we've got a big squad, and, on paper at least, some of our better Premier League fixtures. Brighton at home, Bournemouth away, Watford at home are games I expect us to be able to win while giving crucial rest to 3 or 4 players each time. The trickiest league fixtures are Leicester away on Boxing Day and probably Wolves and Sheffield United at home. Two teams you'd expect us to beat but will be relatively rested in comparison and face us at the end of this run 3 days apart. Hopefully we can get a result vs Napoli that makes the final CL group game a dead rubber too. It would be fantastic if we could rest all of our starters in that match.

If we can navigate that period and come out the other side (as World Champions please) with a largely fit squad and nothing more than a week or two knock at worst to anyone then we're in a great position. I typed out that a 4/5 point lead would be fantastic, and it definitely wouldn't be bad, but if that's all it is then we'll be far from being crowned Champions.

Fortunately, after a January where we play (ignoring Sheff U) Spurs away, United at home and Wolves away, plus an FA cup fixture we start February with a home game vs Southampton and an away trip to Norwich. Then comes the relief of a two week "winter" break. This should allow us a much, much needed opportunity to rest, recover, reflect and re-focus on the task at hand - ignoring the wider narratives and concentrate on winning each game we play.

Injuries and fatigue are arguably our biggest threat at the moment. Intelligent rotation and in-game management will be crucial over the next 2 months.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #794 on: November 11, 2019, 11:48:34 am »

More time for Matip and Shaq to recover.
Ox and Keita get minutes into their legs (if played).

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #795 on: November 11, 2019, 12:01:04 pm »
We have double the points of the 5th place team, which is incredible after 12 games and we are obviously in a very strong position being 8 points clear at the top and 9 against our real rivals for the league.  We should not get carried away though...it is way too early for that.

Last season, we dropped points to West Ham away, Leicester at home, Everton away, Arsenal away, Chelsea away and of course City home and away too.  Whilst we have turned it around for City at home, Chelsea away and Leicester at home, we still have the remaining fixtures in which we dropped points last year yet to play.  If those corresponding fixtures end in the same result as last season, that it 9 points dropped.  On top of that, we also have Everton, United and Chelsea at home and Leicester, Spurs and Wolves away - all of which are difficult games - and there is always the chance of dropping points in matches that you don't necessarily see as a danger. Given that 5 of those potential banana skins take place in one month from Boxing Day to 23rd January, with Sheffield United at home in there and an FA Cup 3rd round too, if we did drop multiple points in that period, what would the psychological effect be on the team then?

As I say, we are in a very strong position and we can buy the champagne now as it will be opened eventually for one trophy or another in the coming seasons - just don't put it in the fridge as yet.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: November 11, 2019, 12:22:46 pm »
The next 'block' of games now is up till we go to Qatar. We then face one of our 2/3 hardest games of the season on the return [Leicester away]. Where we are the day after Boxing Day will give us a very good picture of what we can expect in the new year. If we're still 8 points or better ahead by then....well, pinch me.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #797 on: November 11, 2019, 12:50:23 pm »
With the shitty state of politics and society in this country, us going for the title is one of the few things keeping me going.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: November 11, 2019, 12:52:44 pm »
Chelsea or Leicester winning the league this season would be much much less of a shock than Leicester wining it in 2015. So in that case my opinion is we still want the mathematically best results involving those 3 teams - ie draws all the way for now until any of them drop away completely. Personally I think if Leicester or Chelsea were offered 80 points now they would and should take your hand off for it, but we'll see.

I could see City spanking Chelsea and Leicester nicking a result against City.

I hope City don't use the perceived injustice from yesterday to instill a siege mentality though. Regarding CB, even if Laporte comes back in Feb/March, it might take him to the end of the season to get back up to speed (although half-fit he is probably better than Otamendi). I think they will sign a CB but who is there that's good enough? Koulibally is probably the second best in the world but I don't know if he actually could play in City's team to be worth the astronomical cost. eg I think he would be a much better buy for United or Spurs.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: November 11, 2019, 01:03:27 pm »
One game at a time but we have  to beat Palace.

3 points extending the lead to 11 points from Chelsea and 12 from City before City and Chelsea meet is huge because whoever loses that match really does face a massive battle to win the league.